[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Tracking at 1 billion domestic and 2.5 billion worldwide
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 10
>Tracking at 1 billion domestic and 2.5 billion worldwide.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/star-wars-force-awakens-profit-844758
>>
>>63446741
>1 billion domestic
>1 billion

BULLSHIT
U
L
L
S
H
I
T
>>
File: 1442408311519.gif (1 MB, 175x131) Image search: [Google]
1442408311519.gif
1 MB, 175x131
>>63446741
Minus approximately $12 from me cuz im not really interested in star wars, star trek, etc and will just wait til comes out on basic cable
>>
>>63446773
NOPE
O
P
E
>>
>>63446741
IT'S OVER.
WHITE MEN ARE FINISHED.
BYE BYE GAY-MES CAMERON
>>
Jokes on you, I'll watch the camrip when it comes out.
>>
guys i tried to watch the first star wars and i felt so uncomfortable and shitty because it was so boring and bad did i have to watch this as a kid to fully enjoy it or shall i power on through and maybe i'll enjoy it by the 3rd one?
>>
File: 1369867725679.gif (2 MB, 290x260) Image search: [Google]
1369867725679.gif
2 MB, 290x260
>>63446741
holy shit, what retard gets paid to make this predictions and how can I get his job?

Star Wars has always been popular but only with manchildren.
It will make $900 million worldwide tops.
>>
>>63447352
You have sto start with Episode IV you dummy.
>>
>>63447383
>It will make $900 million worldwide tops.
you're delusional
>>
>>63447383
>being this delusional
kek
>>
>>63447415
i am watching it from release>
>>
>>63447383

my 60 year old catholic mother got excited when seeing the trailers

its like grandmas cooking to normies, they all have fond memories from muh childhood
>>
>>63447383
it's probably made half that on domestic presales alone lmao
>>
You guys are fucking retarded if you think it can make 2.5 BILLION worldwide.

1 Billion domestic? Fuck off not fucking happening.
>>
>>63447428
>>63447442
you are right, it will make even less with a NIGGER gorilla and a Xenomorph as main protagonists.

I would like to correct myself; $750 worldwide TOPS.
>>
>>63447525
>being this retarded
lmao
>>
>>63446741
Absurd. Star wars is incredibly weak overseas, and no star wars movie has made even CLOSE to 2.5x its domestic gross overseas. The prequels barely made 1.2x their domestic gross overseas, and the OT made like 0.6 - 0.9x their domestic gross overseas.
>>
File: 1421092840536.jpg (76 KB, 388x372) Image search: [Google]
1421092840536.jpg
76 KB, 388x372
>>63446741

>SW7
>3.5 billion

wtf is reddit smoking
>>
>>63446741
Even I can make better fucking predictions than this.

>Our base assumption remains that Force Awakens has $730 million domestic box office, ranking just behind Avatar's all-time record of $761 million," Crockett explained

Reasonable. On the high-end of predictions, but reasonable.

>Big December movies typically earn nearly five times opening weekend in total domestic box, suggesting Force could fetch nearly $1 billion in domestic box over its total run.

TFA, being an incredibly hyped movie, will be correspondingly front-loaded compared to other movies. To suggest that TFA could do 5x its first weekend overall just "because other big December releases did around 5x their first-week gross" is an incredibly shallow and inaccurate prediction.

>If the domestic figures were reached, that could yield a film profit of $2.7 billion assuming that international box office is 2.5 times domestic revenue, which the analyst said would be "on par with averages for large global tentpoles."

The Star Wars franchise historically has done poorly overseas compared to its domestic gross, in comparison to other films of the time. Episode 1 made 1.16x its total domestic gross overseas; Episode 2 made 1.09x; Episode 3 made 1.23x. This is in the early 2000s, when other blockbusters like LotR: Return of the King were making around 2x their domestic gross overseas.

>His own base estimate is for less than $1.9 billion.

Oh so it's just some retarded reddit star wars fanboy applying a knowledgeable analyst's predictions to absurd base estimates like $1b domestic and 2.5x domestic gross overseas. $1.9b is an accurate and likely prediction; $3.5b is not.

Go back to reddit.
>>
who's ready for "b...b...but inflation" threads?
>>
How much have they spent advertising this thing? Star Wars should be something that sells itself but it's everywhere now
>>
File: BASEDJIM.jpg (32 KB, 425x594) Image search: [Google]
BASEDJIM.jpg
32 KB, 425x594
>>63448957
I'm more ready for all the "b-but avatar had 3D" threads
>>
>there are people on /tv/ RIGHT NOW that are so anti star wars they really believe it won't even break a billion

Guys, for fucks sake, I'm by no means a big stat wars fan, but if you really don't believe this will cross over 1 billion with potential to make it over 2, then you're delusional. This is fucking STAR WARS EPISODE VII. Everyone and their dog knows what this film is and, arguably more importantly, WHY it is so hyped up.
>>
>>63448370

>and the OT made like 0.6 - 0.9x their domestic gross overseas.

Did the rest of the world outside of the UK even have movie theaters in 1977?
>>
If Star Wars is so big and its fan base is huge why didn't the prequels make a lot of money? What makes this different?

Yeah Phantom Menace was a huge box office hit but then Cape shit came along and made the rest of the prequels numbers look unimpressive
>>
its the only movie out at Christmas because everyone else is shit scared to release .

its going to rape James Camerons ass so hard she'll be shitting lightsabers for years.

>>
I don't think it will break avatars numbers but it will definitely get close. 2.5b worldwide is a very conservative estimate.
>>
>>63449233

The prequels were also bad. Star Wars is a goofy film series about lazer swords, spaceships, yetti's, and magic. If they don't have excellent word of mouth to drive every kid and their parents out to see it the numbers aren't going to be mind-blowing.
>>
>>63446741

This film could make $500m worldwide and Disney is still going to be laughing all the way to the bank due to toy sales. There is also no danger at all of them not making more star wars movies so all this debate is really just masturbation.
>>
File: now get out.jpg (174 KB, 948x1093) Image search: [Google]
now get out.jpg
174 KB, 948x1093
>>63448957
>>63449015

> A-Avatar is s-safe, right g-guys?
>>
>>63447280
I'll probably just download it or go see it for matinee prices.

Honestly neither I or my GF don't give a big of enough shit to break our normal schedule to go see it.
>>
Disney have put an embargo on all movie reviews until its been out for 1 week.
Good to see they have confidence in their product and Director.
>>
Why'd they have to put in the nigger :(
>>
>>63449543

How're they doing that, anyway? Just not handing out screeners? I don't see what's going to stop any film critic from just going to see it opening night and then writing a review after, Disney can't just tell people not to review their movie.
>>
>>63448851
nice summary
>>
>>63449635
Yes they can lol, and they can sue the fuck out of anybody who goes against it. Take modern videogame industry for example, same thing happens with all major triple A releases. Big time publishers control when publications are allowed to post their reviews.
>>
>>63448851
>Reddit Wars tards absolutely BTFO
>>
>>63449226
the prequels were released as late as 2005. they were still weak. Star Wars simply isn't that mainstream outside of America.
>>
>>63449681
>this idiotic post
I know this is bait since no one can be this stupid and stay alive for more than a few months on this planet, but still.
>>
>>63449324
the only way any movie ever makes Avatar/Gone With The Wind money is by people going back to see it repeatedly, a LOT of people.

that won't happen with TFA because it's confirmed for mediocre at this point. word will VERY quickly get around - that's why we're getting the huge blitz of hype now. with Avatar Fox was still spending millions promoting the film weeks after release once it was demonstrated to be a huge hit.
>>
>>63449376
there's no danger of them making a GOOD Star Wars movie any time soon either, so your talk of toy sales is just as masturbatory.
>>
>>63449681

How in the hell is that legal? It's free speech and fair use, there's absolutely no basis for suing reviewers if they break that made-up time limit. If you make something available to the public you can't forcibly stop people from talking about it. Did they go to every single newspaper, news site and individual blogger and offer them cash to not publish a review before the week was up? Because that's the only thing I can imagine would actually work.
>>
>>63449845
they can probably make publications sign things in exchange for receiving large amounts of money for advertizing space. basically they're paying them not to review it early, but the money is money they wanted to spend on ads anyway.
>>
>>63449845

the embargo is only on the major newspapers and movie review sites .

Disney dont care about some autistic faggot reviewer on youtube with 50 subscribers.

if any of the major review sites publish a review not only will they lose all privileges with Disney and the reviewer will get blacklisted.
>>
>>63449845
... you're kinda forgetting the reviewers have to see the movie before they can review it. So all disney has to do to institute a review embargo is ... not... let... people see... the movie.

Furthermore, if they do advanced screenings, all they need to do is have the attendees sign NDAs.
>>
>>63449681
Most review embargos are not legally binding, publications just honor them because they know if they break it they'll forever burn bridges with that publisher and never get early access again

Disney is just not offering early screenings until after the premiere out of fear of spoilers
>>
>>63449932
>Disney dont care about some autistic faggot reviewer on youtube with 50 subscribers.

oh they care. they just know they can't control those people.

they might give Google money to make it harder for people to see the negative feedback, though.
>>
>>63450024
>out of fear of spoilers
yeah god forbid
>>
File: Darth Maul.jpg (317 KB, 1920x816) Image search: [Google]
Darth Maul.jpg
317 KB, 1920x816
>>63446741
>Tracking at 1 billion domestic and 2.5 billion worldwide.

How?! The fucking movie isn't playing anywhere and nobody has seen it yet.
>>
>>63449376
They still need it to be good because of all the hundreds of star wars movies they're going to make.
>>
>1 billion domestic

It's going to beat the current record by $240 million ?

lol what
>>
File: James_Cameron_ECAD.jpg (80 KB, 540x360) Image search: [Google]
James_Cameron_ECAD.jpg
80 KB, 540x360
>>63446741
They never learn
>>
>>63449923
>>63449932

Well okay, that makes more sense.

>>63449940

And they can...see it....opening night.........with everyone else.......and then............review it..................before the week is up, like I mentioned back here; >>63449635
>>
Reminder that $2.7 billion (which it won't make) is STILL less than Avatar, which after inflation is north of $3 billion.

the $2.7 figure is Avatar's total without inflation, and the fact that the prediction is the same effectively makes this article a confirmed shill.
>>
>>63446741
I hope theres a shooting at one of theatres so its stops people going out to watch this garbage
>>
File: image.jpg (80 KB, 480x478) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
80 KB, 480x478
>>63452372
Nice meme :)
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.