[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>The incompetence of the American military >Blind Japanese
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
File: world-war-z1.jpg (205 KB, 600x923) Image search: [Google]
world-war-z1.jpg
205 KB, 600x923
>The incompetence of the American military
>Blind Japanese samurai and a Japanese otaku 2chan poster
>Stupid concepts like quislings and feral children
>Israel is best rael
>"Muh dogs even though I hated them but now I attack people that do and now I'm in a special K9 unit durrrrrrr"
>DUDE I'M GUARDING RICH CELEBRITIES AND BILL MAHER AND ANNE COULTER ARE HAVING SEX ON THE BEACH LMAO

Glad this was never properly adapted cause it would expose Brooks as the hack he is.
>>
File: Daniella Kertesz - IDF - segen.jpg (97 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
Daniella Kertesz - IDF - segen.jpg
97 KB, 600x900
>>63443694
>Israel is best rael
D R O P P E D
>>
File: 2% mad.png (254 KB, 401x455) Image search: [Google]
2% mad.png
254 KB, 401x455
>After the Zombies take over America the government suddenly comes up with the perfect plan to rebuild society which just works flawlessly because the author said so
>>
Every military was retardedly incompetent in that except Israel, but Yonkers was a special case of shitty writing.
>>
>>63444955
>Yonkers was a special case of shitty writing
Can you elaborate?
>>
>>63443694
>>>/lit/

Also bad pasta: https://archive.4plebs.org/tv/thread/61864946/

And the book was great, not everything but great overall. Too bad it will never be a proper HBO show.
>>
>>63445070
Brooks writes the military at Yonkers to be completely retarded. Not in the 'let's invade Russia in the winter' sense of retarded, but in the 'I'd forget to breath if I wasn't told to' sense. Apparently he was trying to force some Iraq allegory which doesn't even make any sense anyway. He also has modern weaponry be arbitrarily useless against zombies if that wasn't enough. Sure someone might say 'but it's zombies who cares about realism just turn off ur brain xd' but it just completely breaks the suspension of disbelief.
>>
>feral children
>stupid concept
what
>>
>>63445257
>breaks the suspension of disbelief.
that's personal of course. I reckon you're quite into the military so you know when it's bullshit. I didn't have a problem with it.

It simply showed that the government was trying to make a big show of their power against zombies without considering that bombs (?) didn't work against these particular enemies.
You could see it as a allegory to the Iraq war as in how you can't win a guirilla war with brute force.

On the other hand, Brooks had to find a way to make it seem plausible that the army wouldn't wipe out the Zs in the first week.
>>
>>63445257
>suspension of disbelief
>zombies
>>
probably one of the few cases where movie was not only better than book but also unlike the book was actually enjoyable
>>
I enjoyed reading it for what it was: a collection of short stories in a shared universe.

WWZ should have have adapted into a TV show - as a Twilight Zone-esq series of vignettes in the same zombie universe - instead of the Walking Dead. Shame.

Movie was terrible.
>>
>>63445257
So you're telling me that Yonkers broke your suspension of disbelief, but Brook's concept of a zombie—by far the stupidest, most unrealistic depiction of a zombie without getting into straight-up schlock, one that FORCES you to turn your brain off— didn't?
>>
>>63445366

Bombs only working like in movies, pushing bodies around is something that requires brain damage to write in something that's supposed to have resemblance of seriousness.
>>
>>63445580
>Brook's concept of a zombie
not that guy but what's wrong with it? and how is it that much different from other itterations?
>>
>>63445366
>You could see it as a allegory to the Iraq war as in how you can't win a guirilla war with brute force.
This is what I was talking about, it doesn't make sense. Zombies aren't a guerilla force, they can't blend in with the locals or use the terrain to their advantage. It's like if every ISIS member decided the best way to get 72 virgins was to eat the brains of the kaffir, clumped into one giant human wave and shuffled slowly towards a prepared Coalition defensive line. And the Coalition still loses because reasons. There's a reason why most zombie fiction outright skips this part
>>
>>63445580
>but Brook's concept of a zombie—by far the stupidest, most unrealistic depiction of a zombie
Most of this comes out IN Yonkers.
>>
>>63445070

air strikes and artillery shells can't kill zombies for some reason
>>
>>63445600
Not him, but the whole "unstoppable automaton who don't need no anything" is absolutely unrealistic. The body simply can't become this crazy, completely-independent-of-any-kind-of-sustenance machine, they were writtenlike that because they need to be incredibly resilient for the book's story to even take place, otherwise the whole zombie apocalypse wouldn't happen.

Any time someone questions their ridiculousness in any of his books, the character in questions just goes "well shit dawg we just don't know right now, they an an enigma t b h".
>>
>>63445767
Dont you know anything about warfare?
Primary purpose of either airstrikes nor artillery is to actually kill human personnel. Its all about destroying the equipment and infrastructure. That and psychological effect. You obviously have huge human casualties as well but you dont call artillery strike to kill enemy combatants. You call it to force them to retreat, surrender or cause damage to their defences.

Just look at Donetsk airport. It has been shelled nonstop for weeks, if not months yet it was only the troop assault that actually managed to inflict enough casualties to force the defenders to surrender.
>>
>>63445840
That's a shitty argument. In the end the zombie genre is fantasy. It has fantastical elements in it that don't have to be explained scientifically.

>Zombies don't make sense
No shit. The only way a writer could resolve it is by using 'infected' instead of zombies. But in that case everbody would only have to lock themselves in for a month and wait untill they starve.

I like Brooks book because it simply takes one unrealistic idea (zombies exist) and puts it into a realistic context to see what would happen. (and yeah we can debate for a long time about yonkers and isreal but whatever)
>>
>>63445996
Because you're usually fighting an enemy that can actually take cover and/or shoot back. If the enemy decides to just blob together into a big, dumb horde and shamble slowly towards you artillery isn't going to become magically ineffective because nobody envisioned that happening.
>>
>>63445996
Thats because people have the good sense to avoid places that are being bombed
>>
Ferral children is actually a thing...
>>
>>63443694
I read it when I was like 14 and looking back some of it was lame as fuck, but it's still a really good book with some cool concepts. The parts about the Paris sewers and dealing with zombies that would wash up on the shore, as well as the patient zero chapter were great.
>>
It's been a while since I've read WWZ, but the blind swords man was a reference to Zatoichi, right?
>>
>>63447176
>patient zero chapter
This. Patient zero chapter is best chapter.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.