[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Windscreen Freaks and Geeks
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (54 KB, 342x432) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
54 KB, 342x432
>All 18 episodes in both original aspect ratio (1.33:1) and widescreen (1.78:1)

Who else is as excited as I am to not only see one of the best shows remastered in HD, but also seeing more of the picture than ever before in widescreen ratio for the first time. March can't come soon enough.
>>
Shameless self bump
>>
god damn i watched this a couple of months ago for more or less the second time. if it could had come in sooner...
>>
>>63425924
>more of the picture than ever before in widescreen ratio
I don't think you understand how this works.
>>
>>63425924
it was ok, it wasn't great as everyone think it was. No wonder it got cancelled.
>>
If it's cropped, pass.

If they recorded it in film and we actually see more than with the original aspect ratio, I'm hyped.
>>
Nice, this is due for a rewatch for me
>>
So is it cropped or was it shot wide on film from the start?
>>
>Linda Cardellini
yes all of it please
>>
>>63426508
>or was it shot wide on film
No reason it would have been, ca. 1999.
>>
I actually cried on that closet thingy that americans do episode.
>>
>>63426648

According to IMDB it was shot on 35mm: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0193676/technical?ref_=tt_dt_spec
>>
>>63426772
Yeah, but it would have been shot at Academy Ratio, 1.33:1, which means that to make a wider image they will cut off the top and bottom.
>>
File: 1448131827598.jpg (42 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1448131827598.jpg
42 KB, 500x500
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfqIsN6Mkrk
>>
>>63426280
Ahem, I minored in cinema in college; I think I know what I am talking about. The show was shot on 35mm film and was cropped for a TV airing. The new widescreen version will open up the frame and allow us to see new detail. It's the same thing that happened when Heavyweights was released on BluRay; it saw a widescreen transfer for the first time in a home release.
>>
File: 1439071489239.jpg (14 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1439071489239.jpg
14 KB, 400x400
>>63428229
>I minored in cinema in college; I think I know what I am talking about
Despite this, you still don't know what you are talking about.
>>
>>63428288
To go from full screen to widescreen would require so much cropping, the degradation to the picture would be unbearable. I've heard of widescreen to fullscreen cropping, but can you provide any real world examples of fullscreen to widescreen cropping? The Wire not withstanding, since it was shot on film, it was naturally in widescreen, just frame for 1.33:1
>>
>>63428399
I see where you have tripped up. You seem to think that if something is shot on film it is naturally 'widescreen,' whatever that means. Read about aspect ratios on wikipedia or look at a comparison of he recent Seinfeld HD versions with the originals for an idea of what will be done to Freaks and Geeks.
>>
>>63428688
But I'm well aware that not everything on film is shot with an aspect ratio of 1.85:1. There are plenty of films shot in academy ratio. Your example of how they cropped Seinfeld is unrelated to Freaks and Geeks because TBS is not Shout Factory! The reason TBS cropped the shit out of Seinfeld is the same reason they sped up the airings: to sell more ad space. TBS doesn't give a shit about preserving quality picture and frame. But you know who does? Shout Factory! The only reason they would release a widescreen version is if it was shot in a widescreen ratio and cropped for TV. See their restoration of Pee-Wee's Playhouse for further proof. It was shot in 1.33:1 and did not contain a widescreen transfer in Shout Factory!'s BluRay release because it was shot on 16mm film. Shout Factory! wouldn't shove a full screen picture into a widescreen frame unless it was shot that way. They care too much about preserving the picture.
>>
After the infamy that was the The Wire defacing, this kind of shit triggers me. I JUST WANT THE ORIGINAL, COCKSUCKERS!
>>
>>63425924
looking forward to it, glad a release date is set
>>
>>63429270
>I JUST WANT THE ORIGINAL, COCKSUCKERS!
see >>63425924
>All 18 episodes in both original aspect ratio (1.33:1) and widescreen (1.78:1)
>original aspect ratio (1.33:1)
>original
>>
>>63429270
The Wire looks better overall in the new aspect ration, although a few shots aren't as good.
>>
>>63425924
The only good thing Judd Apatow, Seth Rogen, Jason Segel, and James Franco ever made.

I want to get this, but I don't want them to get any of my money.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.