[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 8
File: Daisy_Ridley_by_Gage_Skidmore.jpg (131 KB, 800x1135) Image search: [Google]
Daisy_Ridley_by_Gage_Skidmore.jpg
131 KB, 800x1135
Why was she chosen for this? An unknown, 2 year experience stiff actress for the most hyped trilogy in recent times? Why was she chosen /tv/?
>>
She cost less than Demi Moore, and no sane actress who was already successful would attach herself to such a project.
>>
Why not? Star wars is a shite movie for kids anyways, why would you even waste time thinking about this?
>>
>>63420975
english?
>>
To avoid getting eaten
>>
>>63420931
You could say that about most of the actors in the OT.
>>
The movie's production was rushed
>>
>>63420931
They will be responsible for her fame and will own her. I bet her contract is fucked in ways we can't even imagine
>>
She was the only one who didn't drop out once they learned Finn was black.
>>
easy to manipulate
>>
>>63420931

She was the chosen one
>>
>>63420931
Because even picking established actors can make for shite movies, see: prequels.

New faces help add to the illusion of the movie imo.
>>
>>63421037
at least those actors weren't ugly
>>
She had already done a nude scene, so had little bargaining power against disney
>>
>>63420931
because she was a good friend
>>
because they could have casted an ugly bitch with downs and you manchildren would still watch this shit.

but tbqh she was probably chosen because jewjew wanted to tap that ugly bitch.
>>
>>63421093
Honestly doesn't even look female.
>>
Why? Why are there 200 Star Wars threads a day?
>>
>>63421214
I think shes pretty cute
>>
>>63421232
You must live in an ugly part of the world, like New Jersey then
>>
>>63420931

Because Star Wars has something of a tradition of casting unknowns in the leading role.
>>
Because jj is being all cool and edgy by hiring unknowns, even thought they are doomed to suffer through ever being their star wars character.
>>
>>63421467
Why cast an unknown who's also visibly stiff and wooden? What's the purpose?
>>
>>63421082
This is the credited response.
>>
>>63421219

Disney is paying for it.
>>
>>63420931
Because it's 2015
>>
>>63421093
I LIKE GUMMMM
>>
>>63422165
Mom?
>>
>>63421155
thisthis this thiss it's this
>>
>>63421155
>Because even picking established actors can make for shite movies, see: prequels.

familia they chose fucking Hayden Christiansian and Natalie Portman, two of the stiffest actors in the world
>>
>>63420975
i think star wars has an ok budget to afford good actors. what a lame excuse
>>
>>63420931
Because Hamil, Fisher and Harrison were nobodies before being cast
>>
>>63422487
yeah, clearly i wasn't talking about hayden, but thanks for pointing that out you fucking redditor
>>
>>63422539
I've never been to reddit, kid
>>
They didn't want to choose someone who was legitimately attractive, because then it would have been too hard for all those little girls to relate to her. They need someone more average than young Carrie Fisher to break the horrible mode of how Hollywood casts women.

In their defense, when they cast her, they probably didn't know how hideous she actually was. She looks slightly more human on film, and she probably had a normal hairstyle. They probably took some test shots and stuff, but since she wasn't smiling like a fucking idiot like she does now, they didn't realize what they were getting themselves in to.
>>
>>63421093
Look at those

Man, just look at those

What a nice set of ivory teeth
>>
She looks a bit like Tori Black.
>>
File: 1449209094044.jpg (110 KB, 760x647) Image search: [Google]
1449209094044.jpg
110 KB, 760x647
>>63421160
>ugly
>>
File: Untitledg.jpg (14 KB, 188x192) Image search: [Google]
Untitledg.jpg
14 KB, 188x192
>>63420931
>>
>>63420931

When the originals came out, Lucas wanted unknown actors and was very reluctant to hire Ford as Han. JJ is trying to mimic the originals as much as he can.
>>
>>63421524

Her striking resemblance to Fisher and Portman, I imagine.
>>
At least she isn't Jewish, amirite?
>>
>>63420931
>Think lips
yuck, no wonder whites love her.
>>
>>63425090

But Harrison Ford is.
>>
>>63420931
>An unknown
you answered your own question
>>
You could ask the same question of Portman and Fisher you fucking retard the films have always gone with unknowns
>>
Most actors in past star wars movies either ruined or damaged their careers by making them or never got further exposure.

Big name actors don't want to do Star Wars. They never realy have.
>>
File: 1441428696239.webm (3 MB, 1280x544) Image search: [Google]
1441428696239.webm
3 MB, 1280x544
>>63425186
Nat wasn't unknown m8
>>
>>63422514
It's not about the budget, its about the profits that they want. One issue Marvel movies face with big names is the massive wages - Robert Downey Jr, who wasn't even an AAA list actor when he first got involved in Marvel, is getting 30-40 million dollars per movie. Some rumours claim that he's making 100 million for Infinity War. Avengers was 50 million. That's 24% of the whole budget of the movie. And Star Wars is banking it with a large cast - you'd need exponential wage increases for not only Daisu, but also Boyega, Hamill, Oscar Isaac and Adam Driver.

tldr its just not productive
>>
>>63425259
Nat was cute as fuck though.
>>
>>63425366

I don't think people factored in their pedophilia when casting her like you though, Anon.
>>
>>63425212
This desu. Superhero/Popular epic (SW, Pirates of Caribbean etc.) actors don't get to do any actual movies after their run ends. See: the dying career of Hemsworth, Jeremy Renner being stuck as that guy, Christian Bale becoming a weight loss/gain gimmick actor and so on-
>>
>>63425393
>he doesn't think a director who met one of his wife's at 12 didn't factor it in
>he doesn't think the 90s were full of pedos.
>>
>>63424521
This might be the creepiest comment ive ever seen im laughing
>>
>>63425427
RDJ and Scarjo are the only two major Marvel actors that had any exposure before signing on. Later they added Paul Rudd, but otherwise the actors were small time when they signed on.

Hemsworth, Evans, Ruffalo, all signed for small checks because they had nothing else going on. Norton actually backed out of getting more money as hulk because he wanted to do other movies, and Scarjo was only starting to gain her popularity when iron man 2 came out and she signed for multiple movies. Sebastian Stan and other supporting characters weren't heavy hitters either. Elba wasn't an a lister either.

The only really big name they had was RDJ. Even Pratt mostly only had parks and rec before he was starlord.
>>
>hire cheap stars to make even more cash

what's the problem?
>>
File: dan the man.jpg (92 KB, 422x594) Image search: [Google]
dan the man.jpg
92 KB, 422x594
>>63425393
Certainly not any kind of precedent.
>>
>>63425535
And RDJ wasn't a proper big name. Late 90s he was a cokehead, and in 2000s he was ultra forgettable. Gothika? Fur? A Scanned Darkly? Kiss Kiss Bang Bang? Zodiac was a way up, sure, but David Fincher has the same effect on a lot of mediocre actors.
>>
>>63425535
Are you trying to tell me that Don Cheadle, Chris Evans and Mark Ruffalo were complete nobodies?
>>
>>63425711
Actually, if you read about the behind the scenes stuff, RDJ was chosen because they didn't have to pay him as much. Simply because his face isn't visible for half the movie. Same with Norton.

Whenever they're actually in the suit or transformed, they're not in the movie, so they're not paid for that scene. On the opposite end, Hemsworth, Evans, and Renner have their faces exposed, so they're being paid for those scenes. That's why they used lower bidding actors. RDJ got to be Iron Man specifically because hes almost never actually wearing the suit. The scenes with the face covered and the suit on? Those are mostly stunt doubles. Norton dropped out because he didn't want a 10 year long obligation when he was already 40, RDJ didn't because he's a coke head that honestly needs the constant obligated work.
>>
>>63420931
Sure, everyone wants to be grabbed by the balls the way RDJ has marvel.

Unknown actors: limited salary increase between films due to shitty contracts they had to sign.
>>
>>63425745
None of those are A listers. They're not nobodies, but Marvel/Disney does NOT pay them as much. And when they first signed on several years ago, Marvel made them all sign contracts for multiple movies, specifically so that if their bidding prices went up due to greater popularity, they couldn't ask for more money.
>>
>>63425795
>RDJ didn't because he's a coke head that honestly needs the constant obligated work.
He made out like a fucking bandit though. I can't blame anyone for taking a payday like that.
>>
>>63425853
Exactly. They got fucked with RDJ because they didn't think Iron Man 1 would work that well.
>>
>>63425853
At no point did you mention anything about anyone being A-Listers.

>RDJ and Scarjo are the only two major Marvel actors that had any exposure before signing on.

Even the Canadian girl from that Met Your Mother show had worldwide exposure before signing on.
>>
because unknowns are able to more effectively become their characters in the eyes of the audience, whereas bruce willis is always bruce willis, no matter what role he plays
>>
>>63425946
Sure, look at NPH's career and everyone else's from HIMYM. Being in famous TV sure gets you nice work in film!
>>
>>63420931
her forehead looks like a bent knee
>>
You can get a new person to build their schedule around you, where a bigger actress is more likely to get conflicts and shit.
>>
>>63420931
Ur rite, dey shuld hav payed Jennifer Lawrence 5000 gorillion bajillion dollers insted
>>
>>63426113
>we're taking fire!
>evasive maneuvers now!
>>
>>63426227
I wasn't the same guy, anon, I just thought you were a tad exaggerating about the Canadian from HIMYM.

I think he's right about a-listers, though. RDJ became one thanks to marvel and proceeded to rape them out of money, and Scarjo was already working a lot, and with big names like Allen and all.
Ruffalo, Cheadle, Renner and Evans are just actors with a good rep, without much screentime in Marvelverse (except for Evans), which doesn't cost them a lot.
(Ruffalo and Evans hadn't had a good payday in ages...)
>>
>>63421093
P A R T. Y? BECAUSE I GOTTA!
>>
>>63421939
underrated
>>
>>63425137
He's a quarter Jewish
[Spoiler]Not too shabby [/spoiler]
>>
>>63426678
In terms of exposure level before joining a marvel universe movie I was not really exaggerating. How many countries do you think that show aired in? Her face was already recognizable as a ''that guy'' to a lot of people.

>actors with a good rep
Yes, a good rep they had before joining the marvel universe, which is what the wording of previous posts suggests was the topic of discussion.
>>
>>63427008
Yeah, but it's TV. TV actors are studio bitches. They beg for movies to work in.

And having earned your acting chops like Cheadle or Ruffalo doesn't mean you're A-listers. These guys literally never had a first role in a successful movie. RDJ is the reason the Marvel filmverse exists at all, and his pre-blackhole coke days almost earned him an oscar. And Scarjo had a long string of movies which were successful either critically, in terms of revenue, or both.
If you can't make the difference between that and a girl from an ensemble cast in a TV sitcom...
Even the guys from Friends had trouble having work other than Friends. And they had more exposition Cobie Smulders will ever have.
>>
>>63426849
that's a good trick for a good friend
Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.