[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So discuss the ending.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 156
Thread images: 13
File: image.jpg (106 KB, 250x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
106 KB, 250x400
So discuss the ending.
>>
spoil it for me, please.
>>
>>63393227
I'm seeing it right now, we came in 30 minutes early.

Already know how it ends, though.
>>
>>63393281
>in a cinema
>posting on 4chan

literally everything that is wrong with the world today
>>
>>63393296
We have time to kill, why not?

I've been making actual posts for most of the day.
>>
>>63393242
It ends with the family all back alive on Christmas morning but with Krampus watching them from his workshop, their house being a snow globe.
>>
>>63393227
I can't hate on this movie, it's entertaining and it doesn't take itself seriously enough.
>>
>came out this week in theatres
>not capeshit or star wars
>implying anyone on /tv/ has seen it
>>
Less gory than I had imagined but I enjoyed the practical effects. His face reveal was kind of lame though.
>>
>>63394445
I agree, I'd rather have then leave his face hidden.
>>
>>63393242
European immigrant Jew and her family get BTFO by a Christian/Pagan evil deity.
>>
I died laughing when burta got sucked out of the living room and it made that cartoon noise
>>
>>63394605
>celebrate Christmas
>jews
granny even did the sign of the cross gesture
>>
>>63393555
>I think theyre alive at the end back to normal and the globe is just a watch emchanism
>>
Movie was great just got home

Would reccommend
>>
>So

Can reddit fuck off?
>>
File: AUGH.jpg (16 KB, 637x446) Image search: [Google]
AUGH.jpg
16 KB, 637x446
>>63395908
this

I really enjoyed the movie, but it starts out fucking painfully slowly. it does have a lot of heart, especially in max's letter, and it builds to a pretty satisfying culmination.

>bracing for trick r treat 2
>>
>>63395908
>>63396047
What purpose would Krampus have to have a looking glass on their family. I think the better ending is they are now forced to live christmas day together every day for the rest of eternity in hell
>>
>>63396164

to keep watch like santa in santa claus is coming to town
>>
>>63396164
same reason santa claus knows who has been naughty and nice. just keeping tabs. you can feel however you'd like about the ending.
>>
>>63396193
Santa/Krampus already have the power to "see you when you're sleeping" why would he need a literal spyglass on them. It makes no sense
>>
>>63396244
it's a fucken movie
>>
>>63396244

>Santa/Krampus already have the power to "see you when you're sleeping"

In some santa lore they only have the power through snow globes
>>
>>63396280
yeah and the prequels are just "kids movies"
>>
>>63393227
>Krampus comes not to reward, but to punish...not to give, but to take
You honestly think he did all he did just to give them a happy ending? You think they deserved that? He dragged the grandmother's parents to the underworld all those years ago and he did the same to them. Let's hope they learned their lesson.
>>
>>63396324
they clearly remembered all of their experiences of those 2 nights and will haunt them for eternity.

I guess you could call it a miracle?
>>
>>63396324

The scene pans out to reveal the house inside a snow globe among many others in Krampus's workshop; Krampus will watch over them to make sure they do not lose their Christmas faith
>>
Max clearly sees the neighborhood out his window and lights on houses, yet when the camera zooms out and shows a snowglobe, you see no other houses but that one house. No vehicles, no nothing other than the house. The complete opposite Max sees out his window. So yes, its just a watch mechanism
>>
>>63396440
Krampus doesn't restore people's faith, dummy, he's a harbinger of death. It's not difficult to understand.
>>
Why hasn't Krampus gone on a mass crusade against all non-Christians? Does he only target Christians?
>>
>>63396537
didn't even think of that
>>
>>63396579

>Frightful as it may be to younger patrons, Krampus‘ purpose doesn’t only lie in scaring kids into behaving. One motif that is mentioned often in the film is the idea of sacrifice. It’s easy to get distracted by the horror aspect of the feature, but Dougherty wants to make it clear that his movie is as much about spreading Christmas cheer as it is about terrifying small children.

>Dougherty is going with, that Krampus is “judge, jury and executioner” but also the “shadow” of Santa.
Just don’t call him evil, the director says. “He’s more complex and nuanced than that.”

>“He’s not Freddy (A Nightmare on Elm Street) or Jason (Friday the 13th) or Leatherface (The Texas Chainsaw Massacre), this unstoppable monster that kicks down your door and rampages and grabs you,” he says. “If you study the myth, there’s something darkly playful about him. He’s having a good time doing what he does and he enjoys the cat-and-mouse aspect of it.”
>>
>>63396537
>I'm gonna nitpick the tiniest aesthetic detail and use that to support my absurd thesis, and ignore what the movie explicitly states several times, which is that Krampus is a punitive figure who captures the souls of those who have lost hope in the Christmas spirit
>>
>>63396707
see
>>63396631

>im going to ignore the directors own fucking comments for my own deluded theory on the character
>>
>>63396707
>gramma loses interest
>doesn't take her

there is no cookie cutter punishment for everyone clearly
>>
>>63396737
Which brings me back to my original point: If you think that they aren't really "trapped" inside the globe and he's just keeping an eye on them, what is he going to do if they haven't learned their lesson? Do it again but for realsies? Where is the threat? It doesn't make sense if his goal wasn't to punish.
>>
>>63396829

actually kill them this time?
>>
File: 1449324622595.jpg (30 KB, 440x445) Image search: [Google]
1449324622595.jpg
30 KB, 440x445
>>63396164
>spending christmas day with your family for eternity
>hell
>>
>>63396790
But he does take her, because he gives the kid the bell, and she's in the globe at the end.
>>
>>63396900
she never stopped believing after he gave her the bell. now max has the same reminder
>>
>>63396882
>spending eternity with that family
Seems pretty scary to me.
>>
If they are in hell it's pretty funny in a dark way that a baby and a dog are both in hell and aware of the fact that they're in hell.
>>
>>63397122
kinda sad. That baby dindu nuffin
>>
>>63396829

They're eternally imprisoned in the underworld. He has eternity to punish them or torture them at his leisure.

It's why the family is so nervous at the end, they know where they are and what's going on.
>>
>>63393281 here.

I thoroughly enjoyed that. It was like the most terrifying Christmas special ever.

Takes a bit to get moving, but man is it fun when it does. Practical effects were fucking awesome, CGI was...well, there solely to justify having David Koechner.

Krampus himself was imposing as fuck. Like an old man's face perpetually frozen (no pun intended) in fear, his eyes milk white save for when they turn into goat eyes.

As for the ending...
Of course he's just keeping an eye on them. He's the Shadow of St. Nicholas, so he's basically an Anti-Claus. With that comes the conclusion that he's got his reverse version of giving kids coal, in this case a second chance. He's allowing them to live, but has to check up on them to make sure they haven't lost the spirit.

Also, does anyone have a link to that tie-in comic that basically confirms this?
>>
american dad did it better
>>
As much of a sucker for happy endings that I am, I have to admit that the proposed "happy" interpretation here doesn't make much sense. If it IS just a looking glass/surveillance mechanism, how is that any different from before when he was watching them initially and got summoned by Max? Why would he spare them and not Granny's parents/village?
>>
>>63398441

its not like he was just watching before, he got summoned by the letter. who is to say he was watching before it was ripped up
>>
>>63398441
he didn't kill grannys village just her parents because that was her wish
>>
>>63398441
I still stand by the "second chance" theory, but you make a good point. The fact that it seemed like Max had learned his lesson at the end brings up the question of whether or not the Grandma learned her lesson. My guess is, she was so scared, she just waited it out until Krampus left, so she never got to prove that she learned her lesson. Max did.
>>
>>63396829
I'd like to bring up how the Trick r' Treat universe is supposed to be tied into this. Obviously Halloween and Christmas are two vastly different holidays, with vastly different spirits/spirit manifestations. While it seems they're both Guardians of the holiday, you can see they have different styles of dealing with those who break tradition. Sam's more violent, and you're absolutely certain his victims are dead, while Krampus is more benevolent, and you can't see anyone actually dying (save for the delivery guy, and he was just frozen).
>>
>>63399027
>he was just frozen
>>
The tie-in comic shows Krampus using snowglobes to watch people.
>>
>>63399132
Okay fine I'll give you that

I like to think he was frozen because he wasn't essential to Max learning his lesson after the bag of demon toys was dropped off.
>>
>>63399191
Proof/link?

I believe you, but hard evidence is best.
>>
>>63393422
Everything to not make actual conversation with each other...
>>
>>63399341

bumping because this interpretation of the happy ending really makes me feel better about it, it seemed way too dark and depressing especially with how happy Max was on Christmas morning with everyone getting along
>>
>>63399491
another thing about the happy ending theory that i feel validates it: why would the baby and the bulldog be damned to hell?
>>
>>63399341

I'll try and find it. Saw it on /co/ awhile ago.
>>
>>63396972
>spending eternity with that family after they were transformed into a big loving family
Didn't seem so bad
>>
>>63399608

Ah yeah good point.
I loved how when he opened the box they all kind of shifted nervously, so does that mean they also had the same "nightmare" and the bell just validated that it was all real?
>>
krampus fucked my dog
>>
because he wasn't recording it?
>>
>>63393296
because he wasn't recording the movie?
>>
>>63399733
Thank you for putting what I thought into words, the bell definitely made them remember what happened so vividly
>>
because he wasn't recording on his iphone?
>>
I feel like the director wanted to end it with Krampus dropping Max into the pit and ending it there, but the studios thought that was too bleak so they tacked on the ending that we have.
>>
Can anyone tell me what that fucking white bird toy in a wedding dress was that tries to hang Max's mom with a chain, what is that...?
>>
>>63399842
because he wasn't recording on his shitpost?
>>
>>63399608
The baby would have turned out just like any of them if left to grow up in that family as it was before Krampus came. It was already doomed. As for the dog, I dunno. Just along for the ride, for humor's sake?
>>
>>63399863
Nah, it was definitely supposed to end with the fade-to-black after everyone's dead and the voiceover says "He left me as a reminder".
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 800x1266) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 800x1266
Wait a second.

The proof for the happy ending's right there, in the fucking poster. Look at the other snowglobes he's got.
>>
>>63400237

Bad Ending kucks BTFO
>>
So if you were given the snowglobe warning and afterwards your entire family converted to some other religion like Islam or Judaism, would you be off the hook?
>>
>>63400409

krampus BTFO
>>
>>63393227
I want to fuck the sister.
>>
>>63400409
Krampus being real means Islam and Judism are heathenistic aka you would get a Krampus hoof up your fucking ass in hell
>>
>>63400498
How old was she supposed to be anyway?
>>
>>63399875
i think it was a play on the early conversation where the two adult sisters reminisce about their deceased mom's christmas-tree-topper angel.
>>
>>63400550
Dont care, i still want to fuck her, fuck prudish consent laws!
>>
File: deewut.jpg (10 KB, 147x160) Image search: [Google]
deewut.jpg
10 KB, 147x160
>>63400498
>"They wouldn't kill someone this early into the movie, especially not her"
>mfw
>>
>>63400498
ditto
>>63400550
old enough senpai
>>
>>63400550
the actress is 17, for what it's worth
>>
>>63400498
yeah I was pissed when she died super early
>>
>>63400716
It ate them to hold captive, she didnt actually die, even if she did she was ressurected in the end .
>>
>>63400696
>tfw 18
Well, at least I don't feel guilty about wanting to tap that.
>>
>>63400716
why couldn't it have been the fat mute kid

man fuck that kid
>>
>>63400854
Me neither I'm 29 :^)
>>
>>63400524
>Implying he won't call up the Ramadan Djinn or the Passover Golem to fuck your shit up
>>
>>63400696
>>63400854
>tfw 45
I still don't feel guilty desu
>>
>>63400911
Please tell me those are actual things
>>
>>63400929
As real as the Hanukkah Zombie's rotting buttcheeks, my friend
>>
>Heard a guy complaining about Krampus' face.
>He never realized Krampus was wearing a mask that was similar to his elves.
I thought it was obvious.
>>
>>63400929
I doubt Ramadan has any mythological creatures as part of the custom, but Jewish Passover in Exodus was about the Jews being ordered by Mose to spread lamb blood over the top of their door so that the angel of death ignored their homes when it came to take the first born children of Egypt.

According to wikipedia, its a custom that was around even before Exodus to ward off evil/demonic forces.
>>
>Krampus isn't entirely evil.
>He's just very serious about his job.
He's like Sam, he just wants people to do his holiday right by any means necessary.
>>
I did chuckle when the Gingerbread Man picked up the flaming candy cane and jump at Howard.
>>
>>63401155
That was pretty funny, I loved how it wasn't afraid to embrace how fucking weird it was.
>>
It went St Elsewhere.
>>
>>63401184
Which makes Krampus' scenes all the more scary. He drains any humor and replaces it with fear.
Even the fucking Jack in the Box was somewhat funny.
>>
It's a happy ending reinforced by fear. Krampus is bound by a set if rules just like St Nick, if a lesson was learned, he gives them the warning. After this and Trick r Treat, I'm half expecting a film about the Easter Bunny being a ancient demon or something
>>
>>63401438
>The Holiday Spirits trilogy
>>
>>63401438
It seems to be a theme, maybe he could try a leprechaun or tooth fairy movie as well.
>>
>>63401471
>leprechaun
>>
>>63401497
I have tried forgetting about these movies.
>>
>>63397122
There's a baby in this? I wanted to see it but idk.. I can deal with kids dying (usually) but babies make me sick to my stomach. So fragile and innocent...
>>
>>63401933
The baby doesn't die, he gets taken away by a creepy fuck in a mask.

If the crying gets you though, yeah it happens a couple times.
>>
>>63401933
it's pg-13 dude, there's nothing really graphic
>>
>>63402024
No crying I can deal with (have two baby brothers of my own) I just wouldn't be able to deal with it getting eaten or something. Gonna check it out
>>
The supposed bad end horror ending seems very fitting tbqh
>>
>>63402068

except its not a correct interpretation
>>
>>63402118
As has been established earlier in the thread.
>>
I fucking loved it. When I first watched I thought it was a dark ending, now that I've thought about it more it probably was just a warning to be quite honest with you fine lads
>>
>>63401933
What a fucking pussy
>>
>>63399875
Pretty sure it was the angel mentioned earlier that goes ontop the christmas tree
>>
>>63400891
The shit are you talking about that kid was hysterical, funniest part of the movie aside from the dog eating the gingerbread cookie and saving the owners ass.
>>
So it's just a ripoff of Dellamorte Dellamore? What a hack.
>>
>people don't like the slow build up

It didn't even take long for the movie to get going. It literally just gave some character development and set the Christmas mood all while being funny.
>>
>>63402237
Edgy
>>
I saw the movie two fucking days ago and I still keep thinking about that jack-in-a-box. Especially the scene when its cramming one of the kids down its throat. Fucking unsettling and pure nightmare fuel.

What was it that Krampus showed the grandma when she faced him alone in the house? It fucking flashed so quickly I didn't get enough time to get a good look.
>>
>>63402741
The jack-in-a-box was such a good combination of creepy AND funny, have no idea why or how they pulled it off
>>
>>63402741
Looked like a demonic Nutcracker.
>>
It's very obvious he's just watching them. Everyone learned their lesson and he's making sure they don't fuck up again.

I do wish they expanded a bit more on Krampus himself more. I like the idea that his place is just chock full of "Crystal Balls" to keep tabs on his victims, but I kinda wanna see a bit more.
>>
Thinking on it more, it feels appropriate that there'd be a "happy" ending given that it's fucking Christmas. I think the idea that the family experienced and then remembers all the shit that happened to them, coupled with the knowledge that Krampus is most likely keeping tabs on them, is still pretty fucking dark. I mean, one of the sisters is gonna remember being devoured by a jack-in-the-box, I'd say that'd do shit to you. It's a juxtaposition on your typical family Christmas film, where the family is brought together by a traumatic and utterly fucking horrifying experience instead of the usual lovey-dovey stuff.

I really like this director and I hope he does something else relating to a holiday, although I'm not sure if he'd be stretching it if he attempted an Easter one or such. Not to say Easter would be jumping the shark, but he obviously likes tying in ancient folklore as the premise of his stories, and I'm not sure there's one relating to Easter that much.
>>
>>63403966
I'd prefer if his next movie was lower key so he can pull an R rating.

Krampus could have been much better had the pg-13 been scrapped, but I'm sure the cash they're going to get from this will say otherwise.
>>
>>63404061
Maybe, I kinda like that there wasn't any gore in the movie. I don't mind gore at all, but I appreciate a spooky film that doesn't rely on it.
>>
>>63393227

>ENDING ENDING ENDING

shut up pleb
>>
>>63404097
I guess, the only parts that really needed any blood were when the robot toy was stabbing the dad.
>>
>>63393555
So that explains the movie poster
>>
>>63393296
>complaining about autism on 4chan
>>
There was a "Wanted: Rick" Rick and morty poster next to the kids bed.
>>
>>63393227
Please spoil the Krampus and his minions if you got pics
>>
I think it was a cool way to end it.
I left the theater thinking it was, like some anons said, The kid and his family reliving the day in hell for eternity.
But I think the other Anons who suggested it was truly a 'lesson learned' thing, but with retained memories had a good point too.

Either way though, I think the ending was really abrupt without any satisfying climax. The last few people died within minutes, the boy did his thing, then the ending happened.
Didn't appreciate the last, cheap jump scare before credits rolled, too.

But all in all, I liked the movie for the most part. The monster designs were pretty rad.
Kinda just wished they did more with Krampus himself.
>>
>>63401497

>''We're cooking now kids ! Haha !''
>>
can someone post a picture of the krampus design?
wanna see if its cool or shit
>>
File: 4924402-krampus_cover.jpg (4 MB, 2240x3413) Image search: [Google]
4924402-krampus_cover.jpg
4 MB, 2240x3413
>>63393227

Sorry if this was brought up, but did anybody esle notice the camera used the classic ''Dream Filter'' in the end??? The look of the scene had that bright-hazy blur. Maybe implying they weren't in the real world...but trapped in the glob.

I hear the comic answers the ending of the movie.

But yeah, I enjoyed the film a lot.
>>
File: 1451566457.jpg (21 KB, 250x241) Image search: [Google]
1451566457.jpg
21 KB, 250x241
>>63406411
>Saint Nicholas isn't in the movie
>>
>>63406380

It's pretty hard to find a pic, anon. Good luck. I'm sure one will surface very soon
>>
>>63406411

>esle
>glob

Ooops
>>
Two questions:
Was Santa in it?

If so, did he fight Krampus?
>>
>>63404824
Really? That was quick.
>>
File: The Art Of Krampus.png (372 KB, 801x597) Image search: [Google]
The Art Of Krampus.png
372 KB, 801x597
>>63406380

>The one on the right

Heres the concept art for Krampus. It's pretty much the final design ( the jaw is a little different in the film though ) And again, it's a mask.
>>
>>63404097
>it really is the modern Gremlins

Fuck, that just settled it. I'm watching this.
>>
>>63407216

Yes, the tone of the film is very Gremlins like.

With a sprinkle of Home Alone.
>>
File: jfklajfsa.jpg (23 KB, 409x409) Image search: [Google]
jfklajfsa.jpg
23 KB, 409x409
>>63407372
That's all I really wanted.
>>
>>63403966
I think you could get away with a lot using the Easter Bunny, I mean he kinda just exists as a story with zero origin, context, or anything really. Just a weird egg leaving rabbit
>>
PFFFFFFFHAHAHAH
KRAMPUS
HSHAhAhAHAHAHA
FUCKIN KRAMPUS

HAAHHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

K R A M P U S

R

A

M

P

U

S
>>
>>63408644
He could make it a bunny-like demon who's eggs create chaos.
>>
>>63394445
Was it a mask with the real Krampus underneath it ? Shit, at least make the jaw move.
>>
>>63410493
You can see the difference between the mask and skin around his eyes. The mask makes it better because that means there's something even worse underneath it.
>>
>>63401933
Cutest fucking baby ever.
>>
I tried to imagine what Howie Jr would look like as an adult with those weird lips
>>
>>63410611
He won't be an adult, he probably died by choking on a cookie after the movie.
>>
>>63410523
Good point. I was really hoping for a goat face, and I guess it might be especially with the goat eyes.
>>
>>63411963
I think he used the mask as a way to emulate Saint Nicholas more.
>>
i noticed how they showed both the letter and grandma's doll in snow like shreds/ash. I wish they had shown those globes be affected by this like if Max's letter had caused the snow in their globe to turn black or something. Could have established the globes earlier and left the ending less ambiguous.
>>
>>63393227
Did they have Krampus sing about sheila?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tITz-42MbRI
Thread replies: 156
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.