[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any examples of a bad soundtrack ruining an otherwise
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (62 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
62 KB, 640x360
Are there any examples of a bad soundtrack ruining an otherwise decent/fine movie?
>>
File: 1.jpg (77 KB, 1280x768) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
77 KB, 1280x768
>Are there any examples of..

You must be new here
>>
>>63390667
Never seen a bad soundtrack thread. I just made this after seeing that apparently a lot of people didn't like the GoldenEye soundtrack in 1995 (which I thought was great)
>>
File: 1.jpg (123 KB, 768x765) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
123 KB, 768x765
>Doubting Bvs

It will make at least $1.5 billiom
>>
>>63390760
I don't think it's possible to have a bad soundtrack, maybe an ill fitting one like "the room"
>>
>>63390637
This is a good idea for a thread. >>63390667
was not anything close to an "otherwise good movie."

I have to say that generic Hollywood soundtracks ruin movies in a way that you cannot tell if it would otherwise be a good movie. The whole movie can is drowned out in a saccharine sort of manipulative cheapness that completely clouds the atmosphere. This goes for the golden age of Hollywood as well; those angelic choirs can get really fucking monotonous.

In order to tell if it would be a good movie barring the soundtrack, you'd have to not only remove it (doing so would change the atmosphere entirely), you'd have to rescore it. In a way, we'll never know. But you have to judge a movie based on the whole of its parts, not just its constituents. Bad editing can and does butcher good films, this includes music choice.
>>
A lot of people didn't like the Nightcrawler soundtrack.
>>
Some songs in watchmen did not match the scenes

Also, great gatsby had modern shit like kanye west and hip hop even though its about wealthy white people in the 30s made no sense
>>
A 'bad' soundtrack would either be a mediocre, generic score, or one where the music is ill fitting to the film.

A Mediocre score will follow all the conventions and cliches of the day, in a way that feels like they have just slapped some library music over the top (if it isn't actually just that).

An Ill fitting score, might be that way on purpose for effect. This is risky, as it is awesome when done well, but when it doesn't work it will be really awful.

Just plain bad music doesn't get through though, because they can just fire the composer and get someone new.
>>
Nightcrawler was horrendous, although the composer claims it was done for a reason.
>>
>>63390809
That one had really decent music, which is weird considering the quality of the film at large.
>>
>>63390809
Of course it's possible.
>>
12 Years a Slave. Zimmer's score was really distracting. It was too similar to the same Thin Red Line piece that's been repeated in movies for half a decade now (also see Inception, Captain Phillips), and even with that in mind, was still taken out of the movie every time it came on because it just didn't match the direction. The movie felt gritty and low-budget, which worked great with the songs people sing, but not with the grand Hollywood score slapped onto it. Solomon first waking up to find himself in chains should have been completely silent. It's an important scene in the story. Instead, it comes off as goofy as fuck because the Inception music is almost laughing at him.

>>63390912
>>63392220
Actually really liked Nightcrawler. It was bright and jumpy for the most part, which created a stark tonal clash with the Jake's character. It was like we were hearing the music that was playing in his head, and how he viewed what he was doing.
>>
>>63390637
Wolf of Wall Street and I feel that a lot of David O. Russell films have pretty jarring soundtracks; they don't ruin the movie, but figure this might be a helpful input
>>
>>63390912
>>63392220
The soundtrack was great. It wouldn't have been a great movie with a generic score, it would have been "ok".
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.