[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Film Discussion
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 5
File: ncfom2_by_deimos_remus-d65zjnp.jpg (187 KB, 786x1017) Image search: [Google]
ncfom2_by_deimos_remus-d65zjnp.jpg
187 KB, 786x1017
I heard a many people here demanding for a separate board,/film/.In return all they got is "be the change you want to be".

So let's just discuss films for once,enough with the shitposting,pop culture and dindus.

PIC related is the one i want to discuss.You can bring up yours too if you like.

I watched this for the first time today .So what was it all about??
>>
>>63382264

it was a big movie for you
>>
>>63382264
>So what was it all about??
Shitposting, pop culture, and dindus. Literally.
>>
Dubs and we get a film board
>>
>>63382339
/tv/ - capeshit and memes
/film/ - capeshit and memes
>>
>>63382366
damn
>>
>>63382366
memes are fine.
it's the capeshit related shitposts that is killing the board.
>>63382264
what about it??
Even i didn't fully got what it was trying to say.
But if you follow the film from sheriff perspective then it's literally saying no country for old men.
>>
>>63382436
Care to elaborate anon??the 2nd one i mean.
>>
>>63382436
If dubs, we kill capeshit
>>
>>63382264
No Country For Old Men is about coming to terms with the inevitability of death, who is represented by Chigur. All the characters in the movie deal with this in different ways. Llewyn fights it and tries to run from it. Tommy Lee Jones accepts it and comes to terms with it, Llewyn's wife refuses to play ball.
>>
>>63382593
Hilarious post. Unfortunately you're probably not joking.
>>
File: 1379815795851.jpg (34 KB, 599x548) Image search: [Google]
1379815795851.jpg
34 KB, 599x548
>>63382674
>>
>>63382734
Hello leddit!
>>
>>63382770
(You)
>>
>>63382264
>So let's just discuss films for once
>posts Jew flick
Reported
>>
>>63382593
You are speaking metaphorically i guess.
But on a literal level how can "death" almost gets killed twice??
I agree with you on the inevitability part.But that's just not about death in general though.
>>
>a separate board for /film/

You have an entire board to talk about films and you never do.
>>
File: jeff_goldblum.jpg (23 KB, 470x572) Image search: [Google]
jeff_goldblum.jpg
23 KB, 470x572
>>63382264
>No clean getaways

Would have been totally clean if Brolin hadn't had a bizarre, uncharacteristic moment of conscience. Why he thought some guy with a bullet in his gut would still be alive when he went out there is so beyond me. It was a truly bizarre forced plot point to get the film rolling. Something less obtuse would have worked better.
>>
>>63383415
i thought so too.But that wouldn't have made any difference though.It didn't played much relevance and only made moss more alert. Also Chigurh found him by tracking the tracer.

But i can see where you are heading,a smart and calculative man such as moss made that kind of dumb assery is really strange
>>
>>63383333
Nice
>>
>>63382264
Why not just delete this board?
>>
>>63383333
and while we are doing it you still chose to be salty.
>>63383666
Nothing good will come out of it.It's a perfect board for some of the things that goes on here,just not for films.Am not advocating for a separate board either.

also sarcasm is reddit tier humor anon.
>>
>>63383159
But Chigur is never really in danger. He just patches himself up and keeps going, slow and steady until he finds his target. It represents how you can run from death, but you can't hide.
>>
As the film discussion in this thread demonstrates, this board is better left as a bottomless pit of capeshit memes. This board can't even get a basic grasp on a mainstream film that has been talked and analyzed to death since its release seven years ago. There's no hope. For you.
>>
you can't just have a /film/ general thread.
>>
File: no-forgive.jpg (16 KB, 294x271) Image search: [Google]
no-forgive.jpg
16 KB, 294x271
>>63383969
This board is for memes, faget. If you want discussion go to reddit.
>>
>>63383969
You fucking idiot. If OP had made a thread about the movie itself without mentioning that meta /film/ bullshit, the thread would've gone just fine. People are going out of their way to meme the thread up because he asked for it. Hell, just a few weeks ago we had 2 or 3 threads about this movie with nothing but civil conversation about the exact same subject ("what is this movie about?").

You. Fucking. Idiot.
>>
>>63382264
Reddit: the flick.
>>
>>63383584
Moss was human after all, certainly more human than Sugar. In the book you know that Moss was killed protecting the girl he found in the road, so stupid human mistakes again...
>>
We need a /dubs/ board.
>>
>>63384513
Calm down. I read and participated in one of those threads, and while a few people actually understood the movie on some level, most didn't. And even those who did understand the movie were merely reiterating points already made. The discussion itself was fruitless. /tv/ is a landfill. Pass your time here and don't expect much.
>>
>>63383969
I would have reported (You), but you saved yourself with a in extremis meme.
>>
JUST
>>
>>63384575
No i didn't meant that.It's just moss was so cautious and calculative earlier.He didn't struck me as some one who would end up doing that.

I never read the book as We don;t have access to cormac mccarthy's work here.

>>63384513
>2015
>not recognizing baneposting

i feel sorry for you anon.
>>
>>63383864
>>63383159
>>63382593

No no no

Chigurh does not "represent" death. That's so English 101.

Carson Welles explains it ver batim: "He's a man without a sense of humor."

That is what makes Chigurh terrifying. The fact that he IS just a man. Not a ghost, not "the ultimate badass". Just a determined man with no sense of humor. There are more like him out there.

OP: As to what the movie is about. The movie is about the cyclical and unending nature of violence. For the first three quarters of the movie, Sheriff Bell laments the changes he sees happening around him; changes for the worse. Some sheriffs before him never even carried guns. Remember the boy he mentioned in the opening who killed a fourteen year old girl for no reason? Another police chief commiserates with him: "Kids walkin' around today with green hair and bones in their noses... Once you stop hearing 'yessir' and 'no sir', everything just goes out the window."

But here's the thing: Bell is wrong. He visits the old man in the cabin with all the cats, who relays to him the story about the indians killing the man on his front porch in 1909. "What you got ain't nothin' new."

Bell realizes that he is too old (hence the title) to stand as a bulwark against darkness, and he feels defeated and tired in the face of a world he has just begun to realize he has never understood in the first place. In the end, he relays his dreams about money (which is forgettable, because the movie was never really about money or Llewelyn in the first place) and the "fire". He always thought that he could "carry the fire" and fight the darkness and the cold and death in the world, like he believed his father did. But it's time for him to put up the fire and go with his dad into that silent dark. Which supports the movie's overarching point: we don't fight evil to defeat it, we fight it to keep it at bay. The world needs men like Bell and his father to carry the fire, even if it's just staving off the inevitable.
>>
>>63383415

Saying that's the reason he ended up dead is misdirection; he had the tracker in the bag, so Anton would have found him anyway. But anyway, it makes perfect sense considering how Moss thinks of himself. To Moss, he's the heroic cowboy that you seen in most Westerns. The way he acts throughout the movie shows this. He tries to handle everything himself, makes conflicts personal, and acts with cowboy swagger in general. John Wayne wouldn't just ignore a dying man begging for water, so Moss felt guilty and went back.

That's actually a recurring theme in McCarthy's books. The Border Trilogy is basically built on subverting Western tropes. He loves creating characters that try to live up to pop ideals and fail because real life isn't a John Ford movie.
>>
>>63384793
Yeah, that's what the film is about on the surface. It doesn't take much to tease that out; hell it's the fucking title of the film. Beneath that layer though, Chigur as death is an intentional part of the film by the Coen Brothers. He even flips a coin to decide if he's going to kill people or not, just for the fuck of it. Death isn't fair. It can just come out of nowhere, for no reason. The world is a shitty, unforgiving place. No Country For Old Men.
>>
>>63383415

Moss was in Vietnam, man. His hard exterior is a defense mechanism. Deep inside, he cares about people, even though he knows it will just get him hurt.
>>
>>63384898

Well "death" choked on a cashew.

I just feel like "chigurh = death" or "judge holden = the debil!!!" cheapens their characters. They're much more interesting when taken as extremely determined men.
>>
>>63382264
We can discuss it if you don't post a shitty meme poster
>>
>>63384823
>because real life isn't a John Ford movie.
Real life isn't a McCarthy novel either, and western revisionism precedes his work.

Some of what you say is spot on, but this idea that we "need men to keep evil at bay" doesn't sound like McCarthy's MO at all, and I don't see how it adds to NCFOM. Sounds as much a stretch as thinking Chigur to be a representation of death.
>>
>>63383415
>uncharacteristic
How can it be uncharacteristic at the beginning of the movie? His character hasn't been established yet.

And if you can't sympathize with a character's decision to NOT leave a guy to die out in the desert of blood loss and thirst, even if the odds are that he is already dead, you have some serious issues, Quill
>>
>>63384646
It's a pretty straightforward movie, not many underlying deep themes, what else do you want people to say about it?
>>
>>63384793
I agree with this interpretation regarding the circle of violence.I came up with it too.But it was chigurh who confused me.

CHIGURH being "death" is kinda over the top cheeky tryhard symbolism .How you painted him makes much more sense.
>>
>>63382264
It's a movie about psycho killers.
to be honest i thought the dank knight was a better one in that genre.

joker was a better psycho killer than sugar by far.
>>
>>63385299
Nothing. But most of the discussion was people talking about Chigur represented death and that times were getting worse. Which is completely wrong and par for the course for film discussion here.
>>
>>63383415
I actualy think he went back to exchange water for information but even so it was dumb to believe that guy would still be alive
>>
File: 1448448191903.jpg (72 KB, 217x402) Image search: [Google]
1448448191903.jpg
72 KB, 217x402
>>63385366
i know you are being ironical here.But many actually saw and praised the film for "the psycho killer" only.It's a sad world we are living in.
>>
Chigurh represents Justice, not death
>>
>>63384513
Good point.

For you.
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.