[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/fmg/-Filmmaking General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (21 KB, 620x310) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
21 KB, 620x310
Shootout Edition

Now, I'm looking to film a good ol' fashioned gunfight, I can get props fairly easily, but I'm not sure how to shoot them so that they aren't confusing and I'm a little sketchy on doing DIY squibs. Found a tutorial from Gareth Evans (The Raid) that seems to work well.

Does anyone have any experience with gunfight scenes?

As always, post your work, pitch your ideas, and pretend any of us are gonna make it.
>>
>>63364839
Mix 9 parts strawberry syrup, 1 part chocolate. Get red water balloons and fill them with fake blood. Throw them at desired target. Huge Full Metal Jacket splash of blood. In editing, cut out the balloon being thrown. My advice. Cheap and effective.

As for staging: observe the 180. Match eyelines. Match lenses from shot to shot. Simpler is better. Use a tripod.

And as always, buy Panara for your crew.
>>
>>63365044
Good advice, hadn't heard that recipe for fake blood before. I just mixed corn syrup, water, and red food dye, which seemed to work.
>>
>>63364839
i like this mentality
>>
>>63365123
It's my own. It has a brownish color when it dries on clothing, just like real blood. Super easy, and you can make it by the bucket full.
>>
>>63365277
Very nice. You got any videos of it in action?
>>
>>63365298
Nada. Haven't used it since film school.
>>
>>63365526
Ah, that sucks. Well, it's pretty helpful anyway, so thanks for the advice.

I'm a pretty shit writer, and all I wanna do is just make a little short to test the squibs and maybe pull off some digital effects like what I do here: https://youtu.be/MryiiLiai5k

It sucks when there's no one around to try it on.
>>
>>63365650
Scrap the digital effects.
>>
>>63364839
Hey /tv/ I'm about to make this short film about a junkie but I don't anything about lighting. I want the film to look kind of grey and cold. Like the whole atmosphere of prisoners.
Any suggestions about how to make this and how to learn more about lighting? In return i will post my short movie in a thread like this in a month or 20 days.
>>
>>63365775
Alright, probably wouldn't have done it anyway. Mostly because I can't think of a way to incorporate them with guns and shit.

>>63365813
There's a lot of good tutorials on lighting all around the internet. Film Riot's got some pretty good ones.

Not sure how to do that specific thing though.
>>
File: 1446500156054.gif (2 MB, 308x214) Image search: [Google]
1446500156054.gif
2 MB, 308x214
>>63365994
Thanks for the help, anon.
>>
>>63365813
Depends on what you're shooting with, in part. Prisoners simply makes use of overcast weather, some ND filters, and a grey bias in correction.
>>
>>63366046
Couldn't tell if that was sarcasm or not, so I went and looked it up anyway.

>http://www.videomaker.com/article/c13/10216-light-source-lighting-for-mood
Old, but it seemed helpful.

Along with that, color grading's pretty important. Play with the grading on a few test shots, and see where that gets you.
>>
>>63366195
I'm not sarcastic. I'm apreciate the help. I haven't shot something in a long time.
>>
>>63366188
Thanks man.
>>
WATCH
http://youtu.be/VtpIkq9-la0
>>
>>63366344
Oh, no problem then.

To be fair, I haven't either.
>>
>>63366385
Oooh, looks helpful.
>>
Glad I don't have to shoot on a DSLR anymore.
>>
>>63366588
What're you shooting on now?
>>
>>63366613
Black magic cc, like a good kuck.
>>
>>63366782
I've heard great things about that, but I've also heard it's not worth it without spending a fuckton of money on extra shit to make it work the best it can. Is that true?
>>
>>63366836
*shrugs*

Depends on what you want to do. It's a pretty easy camera to use, and the overhead is only expensive if you want to shoot in RAW constantly.
>>
>>63367001
I'm not particularly picky, but then I'm inexperienced.
>>
>>63364839
>tfw your friends are too lame and don't like filmmaking.

How the fuck do I go about filming my shorts then?
>>
>>63367102
Hire people desperated for working in a short film. Or contact someone who wants to learn to help you.
>>
>>63367102
I'm still trying to figure this out myself.

Best I can figure is, go to festivals, meet people, get connections. If you know people who know people, talk to them.

I should take my own advice.
>>
>>63367102
Go to film school, or if you're already going, join or start a film club.

You have to be quick to make friends as typically film clubs tend to be tight cliques that film together frequently.
>>
Are lighting/lenses/yadayadyada as big of a headache as they look? I know movies are more than pointing a camera at people but that all seems too complicated to me
>>
>>63367461
Do they give a shit if I'm bisexual?
>>
>>63367625
That actually oughta get you even more people in the film/art set. LGBT community loves making artsy shit, I guess.
>>
>>63367603
If by headache, you mean actually taking the time to learn about them and use them properly - yep.
>>
File: tumblr_nhadxrc38r1s28vxlo3_1280.png (617 KB, 1277x664) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nhadxrc38r1s28vxlo3_1280.png
617 KB, 1277x664
>>63367603
Lighting/lenses/yadayadayada are often more important than what camera you have most of the time. They're not really that complicated, and it's definitely something you should look into. Knowing the basics of lighting, audio, and all of that will put you miles ahead of most other amateur filmmakers.
>>
>>63367653
I make science fiction high concept shit. not artsy though.
>>
>>63367763
>audio
I always hear about this. Your video can be top-notch, but bad audio can fucking ruin it.

Putting it in the context of another shootout film, John Woo's The Killer had some great gunfights in it, but the cheesy sound effects can really take you out of it.

Anywhere I can learn about that?
>>
>>63367819
Consult your pastor.
>>
last bump for the night.
>>
>>63368447
Not too late for a Panara run.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.