[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
can somebody tell me how i can appreciate adventure time? what
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 2
File: p8051630_b_v8_ac.jpg (353 KB, 960x1440) Image search: [Google]
p8051630_b_v8_ac.jpg
353 KB, 960x1440
can somebody tell me how i can appreciate adventure time? what is the greatest appeal of the show and is there anythign I should do before watching if I want to like it?
>>
>>63364416
The show had potential to be a great boys kids show if they focused on the dungeon treasure raids and battling monsters but due to le reddit quirkiness and mah thought provoking emotional twists a bunch of man babies have adopted at as a "kids cartoon for adults"
>>
get high as fuck
>>
>>63364416
It's a kids show. Imply what you want from that but I think it's pretty obvious
>>
>>63364416

Stay clear from the episode "Breezie". Watch them in order. Skip the parts about Flame Princess because they're dumb and forced.

That is all.

>>63364525

Not a bad idea either.
>>
>>63364525
this desu senpai
>>
>>63364541
>Imply

You mean infer
>>
>>63364501
I agree, I miss the Dungeons-and-Dragonsesque elements they seemed to be steadily introducing. That's more or less disappeared. I love the lore-building and stuff they do but a lot of the episodes just fall flat, probably because of some bored stoned storyboarder and the fact that they crank out 70 episodes a year. This is especially true in the latest season where some of the action sequences are just diarrhea.
>>
>>63364605
Get infuckt manchild
>>
>>63364563
besides the singing, I have no idea why people hate that episode so much

was it because finn got raped?
>>
>>63364416
look up the episodes storyboarded by either Jesse Moynihan or Tom Herpich. you can't go wrong with their episodes. avoid Rebecca Sugar. her songs are shitty and she fucks niggers.

don't worry about not watching from the beginning. embrace how confusing it is. it frequently makes no sense to diehard fans.
>>
weed
>>
>>63364416
if you insist on watching episodes in order, you can basically dismiss the first three seasons

consider "Dad's Dungeon" the pilot of the "consistently good" era of the show. From season four on, the show is mostly really good. And from season five on, it's the best show on television bar none.

the early seasons do have worthwhile episodes, but it's equal parts good, dull, and outright shitty.
>>
>>63364563
>Stay clear from the episode "Breezie"
Why?
>flame princess
What's wrong with her?
>>
>>63364416
watch from the beginning and with an open mind. adventure evolves pretty quickly around season 3 to something a bit more experimental and if thats not your bag than youre gonna be one of these sperg lords who thinks the show shouldve been a dungeon crawler for the rest of its life. that and have an appreciation for animation
>>
>>63365131
I would disagree with this simply on the basis that season 4 is when linear story telling became a crutch of the tv show. Seasons 1 - 3 were good simply because the episodes they aired were good in and of themselves individually. Post season 3 the show has been good based off a larger, more overarching, plot that has been created by the writers.

But definitely get high first.
>>
>>63365436
>that and have an appreciation for animation
I don't know why anyone with an appreciation for animation would watch AT for its animation.
>>
>>63365442
There are any insane amount of stand alone episodes in all seasons
>>
>>63365341

It became clear halfway through the FP arc that the team didn't know how to handle her so they pulled the greatest arse-pull of all time by momentarily erasing a season of Finn's character development to make him a jerk and paired her with a half-witted pastry comic relief character that's basically the Jar Jar of AT (no really) so they could get back to something else because many people were at this point rather tired of it.

Breezie simply reminds you that all happened a season later. And the music was BAD.
>>
>>63365474
i like the design if that counts as animation
>>
>>63365524
I was actually just about to respond to myself and say that, but still in the later seasons you can see how the overarching plot affects those episodes which could have been more standalone or individualistic.
>>
>>63365549
Solid analysis
>>
>>63365560
Animation is the movement, character design is what the characters look like.
>>
>>63365341
I was anti-FP until "Vault of Bones" where they did a good job of writing Finn and FP as a couple. Their relationship seemed slightly lived-in, like they were comfortable around each other.

There was one exchange that was particularly funny in "Fire & Ice".

FP: Why are we having this picnic in the snow?
Finn: Why does anyone do anything?
FP: (Quietly to herself) Why do they?

they should have kept FP as finn's girlfriend. they were legitimately funny together.
>>
>>63365651
ok thats what i meant then
>>
>>63365442
maybe that's my problem. I never smoke pot, and I think AT has consistently become a better-written show as it's gone on.

I guess the stoners were happier with the early seasons.
>>
another reason people might not like Breezy is because it's basically Jesse Moynihan putting his real life romantic troubles into an episode. like they don't like him turning the show into his diary.

he went through a breakup, then started crushing pussy nonstop but felt unfulfilled.

so does that mean Jesse was raped by a fat girl?
>>
>>63364416
It's not only a show for little kids, it's also a show for redditors, fedoras, autists and potheads

I watched it but never got the appeal, I thought it was trash
>>
>>63364618
>>63364501

To step in and play devil's advocate for a second; it was very predictable the route the series was going to take. Allow me to explain.

The art, music, tone, and overall aesthetic of the show was reminiscent, maybe even directly inspired by, the growing movement of alternative comics in the (90s?).Now these comics, atleast the ones i've read, were very faux deep and intellectual. They cared less about technical presentation, and more about theoretical psychology. In the hands of a competent writer, the freedom of a underground medium, and the lack of a standard to live up to, they were great. Give them one of each, however, and they fall apart.

The competent writers left, the shoe became too popular to get away under the radar, and the popularity put the show on a pedestal in should have never gone. Seeing its growth, it was only a matter of time before the deterioration started to set in.
>>
>>63365549
This actually makes a lot of sense for a few other story arcs. They seem to start something that has a lot of potential and then stuff it up because they don't know where to take it

Couple that come to mind are Peppermint Butler's dark side and Gunther being an evil space entity. They also seem to have run out of steam with Ice King who is a great character.
>>
>>63364416
It's my favorite cartoon of all time, but I'm not really sure what to say to help you OP.

In terms of what I appreciate I think the characters are all very well done, and even though they are all based off of very generic archetypes they are given enough nuanced traits to make them interesting.
The setting is pretty neat, though part of the charm that gets kind of diminished since I'm sure you're already slightly aware of most of its secrets.
The jokes are usually funny, the animation is serviceable most of the time and really good sometimes, and it's overall a fun romp. Goes downhill in the recent seasons but is still worth watching.

It does seem like a show that's love it or hate it, as I've seen tons of people who just don't get it, but that's about all the advice I can give you. The characters also speak in a cartooney kind of slang that usually stands in place of curse words that might be grating but is at times interesting and neat.
>>
>>63365877
Agreed and also think they are over-playing the emotional back story card to much which IMO is a sign of lazy/crappy writers.
>>
>>>/co/

Take this shit over there.
>>
>>63365877
>competent writers left

who? Rebecca? Skyler? Pat? Ako? No big deal. In the case of Rebecca, good riddance.

I know Jesse's gone after this season, but Adam, Kent, Tom, and Somvi are still there, and have been doing their best episodes of the series. Err, not Adam so much since he's too busy RUNNING THE SHOW.
>>
Easily one one of the best cartoons ever, I'm 22 and I can say that it both style and substance its better than most shit we had as a kid
>>
>>63365131
Seasons 1-3 were much better than everything after though, you got that backwards.

You place too much emphasis on storytelling and not entertainment value, and since AT is mostly shitty at storytelling anyway the only advantage the later seasons have is that they try to tell interconnected stories more often.

The earlier seasons were consistently more funny, had characters that were less developed but more entertaining to watch, somehow better animation and a tone that wasn't so obtrusive it eats up entire episodes.

>>63365442 is in the right, at times there are now entire episodes built around furthering a plot point that ended up not mattering anyway while in seasons 1 to 3 there was no plot but the episodes were filled to the brim with creativity because the makers knew they had to make every episode as good as it could be because they couldn't rely on future episodes to make past ones worthwhile.
>>
File: batman_tas.png (221 KB, 350x469) Image search: [Google]
batman_tas.png
221 KB, 350x469
>>63366218
I'm 25 and think that's a sad state of affairs when this existed. This and Gargoyles.
>>
>>63366193
>implying Rebecca wasn't great
She only got shitty around season 5, before that she was consistently good. Every episode she made in season 2 was solid gold.

The thing is everyone that's left is fatigued as fuck from so many years of work and have all degraded in their work, I can't think of one writer or boarder that's gotten better. And in cases like Xayaphone some seem to have stopped trying entirely.

Adams always been the best guy they got but it's not like he could save the show himself just by being the new showrunner, just like how Pen couldn't change much while he was in that position. When the show so heavily encourages every person working on it to do their own thing it's impossible to keep them all in check at the same time.
>>
>>63366305
I said one of the best and that includes BTAS
>>
>>63366334
Somvi has absolutely gotten better. Somvi used to be really really boring. I dreaded Kent/Somvi episodes.

But it seems like as soon as he teamed up with Seo, he got ten times better.

I guess Somvi humor is like coffee. If it's not strong enough, it's completely worthless. But once it hits a certain strength, it's really good, and gets better the stronger it is. We're getting the Somvi Espresso now.

It seems like old Somvi episodes had hints of his style of humor, but it was so fleeting that the episodes were just bland. Now that you can really discern what he brings to the table, it's extremely entertaining.
>>
>>63366503
His style's certainly become more apparent, but his style is kind of garbage most of the time.
He has this really weird kind of anti-humor way of making jokes and all his dialogue is like he's trying to make every character communicate as awkwardly as possible, and his boarding is usually very stiff. He also seems to like writing Finn as being even more childish and obnoxious than he was when he was 12.
I liked his past episodes mostly because it seemed like he wasn't the dominant one of the boarding pair, and the people he was with kept him in check. His episodes before season 4 were consistently funny from what I remember.
Seo seems totally absent much of the time and only seems to have presence in select episodes like Pajama War and Box Prince, and the only impression I get from her is that she likes cute shit and Finn/PB I guess.

He still does some good episodes at times, I remember really liking Blade of Grass and stuff like Thanks for the Crabapples Guiseppe and Everything's Jake were good fun, but so often now his stuff is of lower quality. He's behind stuff like Red Throne that are just abortions of episodes and made tons of mediocre crap like Princess Day and Chips and Ice Cream.

He makes episodes more in line with his style now, but that style is kind of disgusting so I can't really agree that he's good. From my point of view he went straight to the gutter.
>>
METHEMATICAL!
>>
reminder that card wards is the GOAT tier episode. TIme sandwitch a close second
>>
>>63367946
Both episodes with great Finn/Jake banter, which is the cornerstone of the show and a relationship that doesn't get enough respect. They're swell dudes.
>>
watch more then 1 season
>>
>>63366334
>>implying Rebecca wasn't great
She pushed for Bubbline, injecting cancer directly into the show.
>>
>>63369851

Eh, I'm quite convinced that Marcy is bi at this point, but Bubbles is luckily still married to SCIENCE to make it so that will never happen. Like a sister, at most.
>>
>>63369851
She made one episode that the rest of the people on the show never gave a crap about until the ratings started to dip. Sugar was just doing what she thought was interesting, and I don't even totally disagree.

And that doesn't negate her 15+ excellent episodes she made during the course of the show.
>>
Anyone else enjoy how the BMO 2-parter just completely blows away the eight freaking parts they spent on Stakes?
>>
>>63370600
ya think? how so?
>>
Uncle Grandpa is way better

>make a kids show where the main character is a zany schitzo homeless man who lives in an RV
>what could possibly go wrong
>>
>>63370617

UGP is...an all right kids show I suppose? I guess? I mean, it's all right at what it does, maybe, but it really /is/ a kids show.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.