[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Would ROTJ be the best SW movie if someone would cut off all
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 4
File: ROOAAAARRR.jpg (100 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
ROOAAAARRR.jpg
100 KB, 400x300
Would ROTJ be the best SW movie if someone would cut off all ewok scenes and replaced them with wookies?
>>
Yeah
>>
it'd be a hell of a lot better than it is now
>>
Yea but George would have sold less toys.

Plus it wouldn't have solved the problem of Han being completely useless
>>
>>63349777
>ewoks not being wookies
>han not dying in Empire

Those are the biggest mistakes in the OT
>>
Why do people hate ewoks? There's literally nothing wrong with them, they're cute and useful for the plot.
>>
there is literally nothing wrong with ewoks and if you think so I suggest you watch this video:
>>
>>63349996
Exactly, it's dumb shit we gotta put up with, a bunch of Teddy Bears beating a trained army.
>>
>>63350060
They've never been able to shoot properly anyway, if you throw enough teddy bears that are used to fighting on their home planet at them they obviously lose
>>
>>63350060
They literally nab the entire rebel foce as soon as they land
>>
No.

The ewoks are the least of ROTJ's problems.
>>
>>63350534
So what's the main problems?
>>
It would be another one of those annoying coincidences that people would shit on

>so you're telling me this just happens to be chewbaccas home world?
>>
it already is imo senpaitachi

i know /tv/ likes to fap the the empire but seriously it has one cool opening scene and then its a 45 minute puppet show

ROTJ has the condescending emperor, the best space battle in the entire series, the best sabre fight between luke and vader, it has jabbas lair and the ewoks arent even on screen that much

get over it and to a lesster extent, get over yourselves
>>
I completely forgot there were wookies in Revenge of the Sith, everything else in that movie besides the last act is forgettable as fuck.
>>
>>63349777
>they live like savages but can co-pilot space ships

ayyy

at least the ewoks were using stone tools and spears still
>>
>>63349777
Wookies instead Ewoks and Leia not being Luke's sister would of made it the best of the original trilogy.
>>
>>63350007
Where's the fucking video?
>>
>>63350060
How does it feel to take star wars more seriously than everyone who ever worked on it?
>>
>>63350060
It's supposed to represent useless shits fighting off a huge empire.

It's pottery.
>>
>>63350587
Not enough black people for his kek/reddit fantasies.
>>
>>63349777
It was originally intended to be this way but Lucas wasn't sure the entire trilogy would get picked up. He wanted to make sure there was a woke so he penciled one in as Han's sidekick.
>>
>>63349914
would wookie toys really be less popular than ewok toys? i guess they would make worse stuffed animals but would make up for it with action figures.
>>
>>63350655

This, seriously.
>>
>>63350060
>he posted it again!
Ewoks knew what they were doing and used guerrilla tactics, they had logs set up to smash ATSTs for fucks sake
>>
>>63350587
Not him but it's the second act, it feels so disjointed and empty that I get bored until the third act starts
>>
>stone aged teddy bears defeat galactic empire
>that cheesy acting
>rehash the first
ROTJ is prequels tier couldn't even watch passed the coke nail scene.
>>
>>63355235
the whole first act is watchable. it's not really relevant to the story at all and feels like the sort of side plot that should have happened between the movies in a direct-to-tv special or something instead of taking up 1/3rd of the trilogy's finale, but it's still more watchable than the 2nd act.
>>
>>63350728
uhm werent they in the most important scene of the film? the order 66 part? what the f**k were you doing
>>
>>63352909
And he decided to switch to ewoks because he felt that wookies wouldnt have the same impact, since we have seen a wookie piloting a ship and using a blasters. So it wouldnt have that whole "pre industrial nature" thing taking down the evil empire.

Having it be cuddly furballs to sell more kids toys was definitely NOT the way to go though.
>>
their movies for kids, so teddy bears made sense
>>
No.
There's still the matter of the shitty idea to re-use the Death star as a plot device.

Jabbas Palace, well that was OK, but could have been shortened
>>
>>63354657

There was already a wookie in the first two. They needed NEW aliens for toys.
>>
>>63350060
a trained army beating a trained army*
>>
>>63350655
Wookies are apparently quite advanced, couldn't it be a wookie colony or something
>>
File: Han-Solo-Return-of-the-Jedi_0.jpg (1 MB, 1920x816) Image search: [Google]
Han-Solo-Return-of-the-Jedi_0.jpg
1 MB, 1920x816
>>63350587

Harrison Ford was dragging his feet on signing the contract so the entire story had to be written with the possibility of no Han which makes Han an entirely superfluous character that accomplishes nothing that Leia or Chewie couldn't have.
>>
I'm starting to wonder why anyone likes or takes any of the Star Wars movies seriously.
>>
>>63356248
>Chewie
Is he the most useless character of all? He never did anything, just growled a couple of times.
>>
>>63349777
Ewoks are just baby wookies.
>>
Putting your anything on a Wookie planet seems like a bad proposition for the Empire. If Ewoks managed to fucked them up, imagine what Wookies would do to them. Sheev knew this.
>>
>>63349777
No
Because it's about blowing up the Death Star again

I wonder what other plans did they have before settling on "yea lets just do the Death Star again"

Ewoks were okay if a bit silly (even for a family movie)
>>
File: image.jpg (51 KB, 320x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
51 KB, 320x480
Fun Fsct: originally the story was Han going to the wookie home world with Chewie.
When they land he is arrested. Turns out Wookies speak normally and wear regular clothes. chewie is an escaped lunatic and they think Han has been exploiting him for his own benefit
Leia acts as Han's lawyer and the entire part on the planet was suppose to be a court room drama.

But the Wookie costumes shrunk when they washed them so George made them ewoks
>>
>>63358872
According to Gary Kurtz they had something pretty nice until Lucas came in and decided to focus on toys:

http://www.avclub.com/article/gary-kurtz-outlines-original-darker-ewok-less-endi-44162

“We had an outline and George changed everything in it," Kurtz said. “Instead of bittersweet and poignant he wanted a euphoric ending with everybody happy. The original idea was that they would recover [the kidnapped] Han Solo in the early part of the story and that he would then die in the middle part of the film in a raid on an Imperial base. George then decided he didn’t want any of the principals killed. By that time there were really big toy sales and that was a reason.”

The discussed ending of the film that Kurtz favored presented the rebel forces in tatters, Leia grappling with her new duties as queen and Luke walking off alone “like Clint Eastwood in the spaghetti westerns,” as Kurtz put it.

Kurtz said that ending would have been a more emotionally nuanced finale to an epic adventure than the forest celebration of the Ewoks that essentially ended the trilogy with a teddy bear luau.
>>
>>63359322
Also, there would be no second Death Star:

"According to Kurtz, after helping to create the first two Star Wars films, he became disillusioned with Lucas just before Return Of The Jedi, when he noticed that Lucas’ priorities had shifted away from story and character toward selling some toys. Eventually the two decided they couldn’t work with each other anymore, especially after finding themselves unable to come to an agreement over what form Jedi should take—particularly given Lucas’ idea of framing it around a second Death Star, which Kurtz felt was “too derivative.”
>>
>>63349777
I suggest a new story...
Let the Wookies win.
>>
File: Gary Kurtz on Star Wars.png (38 KB, 630x734) Image search: [Google]
Gary Kurtz on Star Wars.png
38 KB, 630x734
>>63349777
remove the second death star as well
>>
>>63349996
>An entire LEGION of my best men!
>completely obliterated by a bunch of fucking teddy bears using sticks
If he wanted to make cute teddy bear characters to sell merchandise, why didn't he at least make them like 10 feet tall?
>>
>>63359625
Lucas is such a fucking hack. He deserves the hate he gets.
>>
>>63359625
I don't know if Kurtz' ending would have been better, honestly. The fact is that Star Wars never really had maturity or depth. It would have taken a totally different approach to earn that kind of bittersweet ending.

Also if Han died it would lessen the impact of Vader being redeemed and then dying, which does, by itself, add a note of bittersweetness to the existing RotJ ending.

The real problem with RotJ is that the pacing is incredibly shitty, there are useless sequences, and the story is reducable to the heroes being repeatedly chased, captured and escaping.
>>
>>63359625
god dammit that would've been such a great movie.

Fuck you Lucas you sellout, you would have still had more money than you could count.
>>
>any Star Wars movie
>good
You people are fucking scum
>>
>>63359322
God Kurtz is such a try hard. Good thing Lucas was still sensible back then before going crazy.

>I wanted to kill Han lol
Seriously?
>>
>>63360187
Ford wanted Han killed. too. He almost demanded it.

But A New Hope did not originally have an "Episode IV" in the title. So I don't know what the fuck he was talking about.
>>
>>63360187
this. it's like wanting to have Luke put Vader's mask on after he dies and become the new Vader. Lawrence Kasdan thought that was a GREAT idea.

honestly I'm sure everyone we think is a genius at some point had an incredibly stupid idea and had to be talked out of it. David Lean was probably like "let's make Lawrence of Arabia a woman!" at some point.
>>
>>63360293
>I don't know what the fuck he was talking about.

he means they planned it like that, got overruled because it would confuse audiences, and then Lucas went back to the idea after Star Wars was a huge hit (it does start in medias res after all, like the middle of an ongoing story). straightforward enough.
>>
>>63350665
george, don't you have more scenes to alter?
>>
Return of the Jedi almost had a very different ending.
In a story development session for Return of the Jedi, George Lucas toyed with the idea that after Luke removes dying Vader's helmet, he puts it on, proclaims "Now I am Vader" and turns to the dark side.
>>
>>63360187
Yeah, just have him do nothing for the entire movie in front of a fucking door. And Ewooks!

Seriously, he should have died, the character was done.

And you sound like my aunt, anon.
>>
>>63349777
i honestly dont care about the ewoks and have lost faith in humanity after seeing people be as butthurt as they are about it
>>
>>63361513
>light hearted kids movie
>DUDE DEAD CHARACTERS LMAO

you sound like a 14 year old
>>
>>63349914
>not wanting to collect all the Wookiee action figures
That'd have been fucking awesome though.
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.