[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why wont this series ever go back to the greatness of Rocky IV?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 9
File: 24423.png (290 KB, 630x420) Image search: [Google]
24423.png
290 KB, 630x420
Why wont this series ever go back to the greatness of Rocky IV?
>>
>>63328116

Ridiculous franchise.
>>
The most 80s movie I've ever seen, loved it.
>>
You now realize the country wouldn't have the guts to release this movie if it wasn't for Ronald Reagan
>>
>Rocky 4
>good

wew lad.
>>
>>63328218
Top Gun though
>>
File: mccarthy.jpg (55 KB, 852x480) Image search: [Google]
mccarthy.jpg
55 KB, 852x480
>>63328358
>I'm not a pinko communist guys. I swear.
>>
Rocky IV was a good movie.

It was just a shitty Rocky movie.
>>
Is that Guile from Street Fighter?
>>
>>63328434
yeah it's so awful compared to such cínèmá masterpieces as Rocky V and Rocky III
>>
File: 234432.jpg (38 KB, 658x370) Image search: [Google]
234432.jpg
38 KB, 658x370
If all he does is get punched in the face why isn't his training involved getting repeatedly punched in the face?
>>
Well if Creed was any indication, by the fourth movie he will be fighting a stereotypical representation of America's greatest enemy, probably ISIS.
>>
>>63328116
Rocky IV was the dumbest, most self indulgent shit ever made. Why won't this board ban pleb retards like you?
>>
>>63328413
>if u dun like rocky 4 ur a commay who hates murrica
How's life at the trailer park, anyway?
>>
File: Reddit.jpg (660 KB, 3192x2124) Image search: [Google]
Reddit.jpg
660 KB, 3192x2124
>>63328879
>murrica
>>
File: 1422412068671.jpg (21 KB, 445x408) Image search: [Google]
1422412068671.jpg
21 KB, 445x408
>Rocky will never end the Cold War with a dramatic post-fight speech again

life sucks
>>
>>63328356
You now realize /tv is mostly populated by people who werent even alive during the cold war.

Implying this wasnt cheesy as fuck even for the time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsJnxlXepsY
>>
Rocky IV is really dumb, but it was just so much fun that I couldn't help but love it
The rest of the series after the first and before Balboa kinda sucks, and I only like IV ironically, but that's still leagues ahead of V

Rocky > Creed > Balboa > IV >> II >>> III >>>>> V
>>
>>63328116

Rocky IV was dull as shit homie. Ivan Drago was such a let down after apollo and Clubber.
>>
File: different mediums.png (726 KB, 973x794) Image search: [Google]
different mediums.png
726 KB, 973x794
>>63328845

>dumbest

fucking plebs. i'm so disgusted i'm sharing a board with you trash
>>
HEART'S ON FIRE

Rocky II is the best one though
>>
>ywn see Clubber Lang and Ivan Drago fight
IV is good, but really only a hour worth of story stretched out too long. It could've focused on the Cold War aspect a bit more imo.
>>
>All these people acting like Rocky IV is some affront to decency
I didn't think anyone had strong opinions on these movie. The only reason to watch em is to see how fun we wish boxing was.
>>
>russian communist steriod enhanced supervillain who kills main character's best friend
>happy birthday paulie sex robot
>livin in america music video
>james brown

yeah...
>>
>>63330921

pretty much this

but man 4's dual training montage blows all the other's dual training montages away

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqwuYX3fZZc
>>
File: Reagan-Magnus.jpg (142 KB, 797x582) Image search: [Google]
Reagan-Magnus.jpg
142 KB, 797x582
>>63328116
Reagan in office, Rocky on the big screen. Patriotism and freedom as far as the eye can see. God it mustve been a glorious time to be alive
>>
What's up with every boxing movie other than Rocky being depressing as fuck?
>>
Rocky 1 > Rocky 2 > Rocky 3 > Rocky 4
>>
>>63331554
Rocky 4's patriotism is way better than the homoerotic shitfest that was Rocky 3
>>
>>63331425
All it needs is cocaine and poofy hair and it's complete
>>
>>63331591

LIVIN'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdeoobQ8jX0
>>
>>63331591
Rocky 3 was good because it recast Rocky as the villain with Clubber Lang as the new Rocky
>>
rocky one is the only one with any value, the rest range from fun to bad.
>>
>>63331761
>not liking Rocky Balboa
>>
>>63331469
boxing is an inherently depressing sport.
>>
>>63331469
When the best thing in your life is punching people in the face, odds are you're not that happy.
>>
I like the more dramatic feel of the first three. The fourth has great training montages though.

Creed brings back the dramatic tone and has the best boxing scenes.
>>
File: entire match in one take.webm (3 MB, 960x406) Image search: [Google]
entire match in one take.webm
3 MB, 960x406
Rocky IV was nothing but montages. There were like six of them

>>63328527
In the boxing in Creed they actually block and dodge and shit, it's great
>>
>>63330566
Rocky is cinema. Rocky IV is a flick.
>>
>>63331469
Girlfight was alright. Kinda gritty but wasn't depressing
>>
4 was the worst one. I don't get the hate with 5.

Drago was cool though
>>
>>63335784
This. Why all the hate on 5? Cause of the kid?
>>
>>63336343
the big reason is that 5 is tonally inconsistant.

on the one hand it tries to be a more serious down to earh film like the first, with drama and bringing rocky back. where it gest messed up is that it also want s to be like iv with the trendy 90s music (just like 4 had 80s music), over the top villian lin the form of the black guy, tommy bacially turning into clubber/drago in the end, the last fight that came striaght ou of a 90s action cheese film with the editing and music.

the biggest waste is tommy, in the directors cut they give him a shot at redemption, here hes just a jerk who gets arrested and forgotten
>>
>>63336418
All that sounds minor in comparison to 3 and 4.

4 just felt sloppy with its 3 montages and a very strange political message. Also Robot butler that Paulie screws or something.

Not saying 4 didn't have its moments, it has great ideas. Just poor execution.
>>
>>63336569
the thing is it decided what it wanted to be. its cheesy as hell, the people that love it admit that, but 5 is just bipolar in its tone and what it wants us to care about.

we are supposed to care about the parallels between teacher and student, but tommy just ends up being an asshole who took rocky jrs room.
>>
>>63336618
Thats the part I kinda like though. It makes the betrayal hit a lot more harder.

Though I do agree that he should have redeemed himself but I liked it better than the other planned endings which are even worse.
>>
>>63336820
I assume youre referring to killing off Rocky? yeah that sounded like cashgrab all over it
>>
>>63328116
Cause there's no Soviet Union any more senpai.
>>
>they will never make a rocky with the muhammad hassan character

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gK1Dro5pr_0
>>
>>63328489
rocky 3 is good you faggot

The DEFINITIVE Rankings
Rocky.

Creed
Balboa
>>
>>63337246
Rocky 3 is better than most second sequel movies

That says a lot.
>>
>>63328358
HEARTS ON FIRE
STRONG DESIRE
>>
>>63331425
And criminality reaching an all time high level
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.