[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you love Nausicaa of the valley of the wind?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5
File: Screen (2).png (998 KB, 1280x692) Image search: [Google]
Screen (2).png
998 KB, 1280x692
Do you love Nausicaa of the valley of the wind?
>>
The manga was better
>>
File: nau.jpg (268 KB, 734x734) Image search: [Google]
nau.jpg
268 KB, 734x734
>>63328019
Pretty much, love both the manga and the anime.
>>
In my personal top 3 Miyazaki movies.

3.Nausicaa
2. Spirited Away
1. The Wind Rises
>>
>>63328066
What did you like more about it? The animation, visual direction, colored backgrounds, music or voice-acting?
>>
>>63328019
Yes by the gods.
>>
>>63328101
Where is Princess Mononoke?
>>
>>63328101
1. Nausicaa
2. Kaguya
3. Mononoke

Worst ones are Cat Returns and Ocean Days.
>>
>>63328135
The plot, son. The lore of the manga is top notch, not to say the movie isn't good for what it is
>>
The animation. Everything else? Not so much.
>>
>>63328436
Too bad about that mass effect-tier ending where Nausicaa decides to screw humanity over ideals she's never presented any belief in beforehand.
>>
By far the best ghibli film
>>
>>63328488
Using the God warrior to kill all the collective hopes and dreams of the past was a satisfying ending in my book, the whole idea was to create a fresh world completely cleansed of the old civilization's influence
>>
>>63328381
Cat Returns was way better than Ponyo and Arrietty
>>
>>63328019

It was pretty gud
>>
>>63328691
Oh yeah, Ponyo was among those too, probably worse than Cat Returns. Haven't seen Arietty.
>>
>>63328019
I feel It and Mononoke are both his best works.

Nausicaa though...
the whimsical elements, the flying machines, the dune-esk parts. It really just tugs at my soul in special way.
>>
>>63328889
Arietty is shit

Ponyo would have been fantastic if there had been just a bit more depth besides "muh precious ecosystem", maybe if there had been a little bit more conflict between Tina Fey's and Matt Damon's characters. But the soundtrack and art style almost make up for it.
>>
>>63328019
It has my favorite opening sequence of all time. Still get chills seeing the giant warriors marching across the burning city.
>>
>>63328019
I always thought it was rather boring, but it looks pretty at least.
>>
>>63328019
How come american animation fails so miserably at capturing the wonder and adventure that Ghibli movies seem to grasp with ease?
>>
>>63328101
1. Wind Rises
2. Princess Mononoke
3. Nausicaa
>>
>>63329622
superior direction, but for the majority, american animators are better.
>>
>>63328019

The manga yes, the movie no.
>>
>>63329676
I dont know if they're better, equal maybe, but Ghibli is definently better than 80% of their niponese contemporaries. Japan rehashes allot of stories/chracters, but american animation is always so bland and lifeless.
>>
>>63328019
Yes, carries a true 'epic' feeling and is GOAT /comfy/.

>>63328135
The flight scenes are virtually unparalleled in the medium IMO and are amongst Miyazaki and co.'s best animation work.
>>
>>63329268
Not to mention that score
>>
>castle in the sky not mentioned even once
shitte thread
>>
>>63329938

It's one of Miyazaki's weaker films, which also includes Nausicaa. Shit taste.
>>
>>63328101
>>63329649
>The Wind Rises

Why do people like this movie? I was extremely disappointing by it.

The dream sequence with the black shadows at the beginning was extremely out of place with the rest of the movie. I understand that it was commentating on how war would overtake the artistic side of making aircraft, but the way they went about just seemed to fantastical(even for a dream) in a "biographical" film.

It also pissed me off how they completely fictionalized his family. His wife didn't have tuberculosis and he didn't even have a sister.

I like the idea of an animated film revolving around a historical figure, and I enjoyed the scenes where Jiro was working, but the flaws leave it as only an average film for Ghibli.
>>
>>63330068
I think that the family stuff is more Miyazaki exorcising his personal demons than trying to make a biography. If you think of the movie as being as much if not more about Miyazaki than Jiro and then consider Miyazaki's attitude towards his work and industry (think of that one quote, you know which one) the movie takes on a new dimension of sadness. I think that being a committed artist really fucked Miyazaki's family life and now that Ghibli's winding down he's starting to regret heavily.
>>
>>63329622
>>63329775
Probably because at Ghibli they draw a scene specifically evoke an emotional reaction first and then make it apart of the story while in other animations, the story is thought of first and the emotion is generally conveyed through the dialogue/acting first
>>
>>63328019
i love early Miyazaki.

Used to watch them a frame at a time to get the subtleties of the scenes he animated himself.

Cagliostro is better, however.
>>
File: image.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
image.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
Any love for Porco Rosso here? I wouldn't say it's Miyazaki's best work, but it's my favorite. There's just something about it that's fun, and it seems like had a fun time coming up with the movie.
>>
>>63332604
I love Porco Rosso. Italians don't just make the best movies. Foreign works set in Italy simply become better.
>>
>>63332673
At first I thought you were saying Italians didn't make good films and I was going to fight you.

Then I realized I was drinking and what you're actually saying. You're right, there's something about Italy, and the whole of the Mediterranean, that just makes movies better then they would be someplace else.
>>
File: Porco-Rosso-1992-Japan_1.jpg (2 MB, 1000x1395) Image search: [Google]
Porco-Rosso-1992-Japan_1.jpg
2 MB, 1000x1395
>>63332604
>>63332771

>ywn be a Italian sky pirate flying above the Adriatic between the world wars, getting into dogfights and having world famous singers crushing on you
>>
File: image.png (346 KB, 500x558) Image search: [Google]
image.png
346 KB, 500x558
>>63333716
Not just that
>you'll never get to visit a bar that's full of sky pirates just drinking
>you'll never visit a bar that's it's own island in the middle of the Mediterranean
Feels bad dude.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.