[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Nolan completely misunderstood the masquerade party scene
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 11
File: image.jpg (66 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
66 KB, 800x450
>Nolan completely misunderstood the masquerade party scene from Batman Returns when he recreated it for TDKR
>doesn't understand that Batman and Catwoman are the only ones that don't wear masks because the Bruce and Selina personas are their disguises
>puts Bale and Hathaway in masks

BRAVO NOLAN
>>
>this is my stupid view on it and its the one and only truth
kill yourself m9, and go back to >>>/co/
>>
>>63315487
hes right though you butthurt normie faggot leave.
>>
>>63315487
He's right though, it has nothing to do with the shitty comics. /co/ hates Burton's movies too.
>>
>>63315466

Burton and Nolan got it wrong the second they put their Batmen in black suits.

Based Snyder got it RIGHT.
>>
>>63315760
>Not blue cape and cowl

WRONG
>>
>Batman is an original movie character
>>
>>63315487
Nolan pls.

Go to bed.
>>
>>63315951
What's your point lad? Because that party scene is a clear callback to Batman Returns.
>>
This thread makes no sense, how did they recreate it. Burton invented party scenes?

Its all about context the scene made perfect sense
>>
File: BRAVO VINCE 3.jpg (3 MB, 5112x4648) Image search: [Google]
BRAVO VINCE 3.jpg
3 MB, 5112x4648
>>63316023

All of Nolan's films are "call backs" to the Burton shit. Nolan was a hack.
>>
File: BRAVO VINCE 4.jpg (3 MB, 6096x5792) Image search: [Google]
BRAVO VINCE 4.jpg
3 MB, 6096x5792
>>63316162
>>
>>63316162
>>63316191
lmao someone took the time to make this
>>
>>63316162
>Nolan's films
Nolan has never made a single film.
>>
File: BRAVO VINCE 2.jpg (4 MB, 4192x7016) Image search: [Google]
BRAVO VINCE 2.jpg
4 MB, 4192x7016
>>63316162
>>63316191
>>
>>63315466
>the only ones that don't wear masks because the Bruce and Selina personas are their disguises

or because, you know, it was relevant for the plot that the two of them recognize each other which wouldn't have made sense if they were wearing masks whereas everyone else at the party were just extras.

>the only ones that don't wear masks because the Bruce and Selina personas are their disguises
>>
>>63316199

There's even more in the /tv/ archives, see above.
>>
>>63316221
>>63316191
>>63316162

by this reasoning Tim Burton ripped off most of Batman Returns from Who Framed Roger Rabbit
>>
or maybe it's because the actors wanted their faces on it

or they wanted the leads to be recognisable

or maybe this doesnt matter because nolan doing a throwback to some scene from the 80's doesnt mean that he must fully recreate it
>>
>>63316162
>>63316191
>>63316221

Pretty fucking autistic if I do say so myself. With that said, holy shit, while a few of those are stretches, Nolan really did steal shit scene for scene like with the Joker/mob scene and "come on hit me". kek

Nolan's still made more money at the end of the day. Wonder if Snyder will have any homages to the Nolan and Burton movies.
>>
>>63316157
Nolan put a Bruce/Selina masquerade party scene in his movie as a tribute to BR but completely missed the symbolism of the original scene.

It shows Nolan to be a bit dumb.
>>
File: BRAVO JACKSON.jpg (3 MB, 6088x7160) Image search: [Google]
BRAVO JACKSON.jpg
3 MB, 6088x7160
Found another one. Has the masquerade party in it too.
>>
>>63316340
No he didnt stop making up shit.
>>
Bale's head wasn't wide enough.
>>
>>63316233
>being this fucking stupid

Bruce and Selina recognised each other in TDKR with masks on.

learn to visual storytelling
>>
>>63315466

D
_R
NOLAN
__P
__P
__E
__D
Welp, atleast Inception and Interstellar were original.
>>
>>63315466
>>63316162
>>63316191
>>63316221
>>63316389

What's wrong with Poetry?
>>
>>63316507
I was talking about Burton's version, sperg. You know, the one where they AREN'T wearing them?
>>
Literally no one has mentioned that Bruce actually isn't wearing a mask in this scene, and is the only one who isn't - indicating that the Bruce Wayne persona is his mask as per the OP comment.
>>
>there can only be one masquerade party in a Batman movie ever
>>
I like that Tim Burton took the Batman series and ADAPTED it. No way could they get away with "the Joker killed Batman's parents" now, there'd be boycotts and online petitions and Facebook groups.

They'll always be able to put their own interpretation or spin on things (gritty Batman, camp Batman, etc.), but to go against the lore of the series and piss off millions of fanboys is something filmmakers will never be able to do again. Even though hundreds of classic films are adaptations of novels. Rebecca is the best Hitchcock but nobody is butthurt that it isn't the same as the book.
>>
>>63316668

>in a movie with a Victorian era styled villain in his sewer lair
>with Bruce Wayne
>and Selina
>and snow
>>
>>63316765
keep reaching faggot; whatever makes you feel better

they both have scenes that take place during the day too!!!
>>
>>63316594
I know what you were talking about. My point is that, even with masquerade masks on, like in TDKR, the characters are easily recognisable to each other.
>>
>mfw michelle phiefer in black latex
>>
>>63315466
>actively sounding retarded for sake of hissing at Nolan
>>
>>63316940
>>
>>63315466

In Batman Returns, Burton made this scene to depict Bruce Wayne and Selina Kyle's duality. They've met as Batman and Catwoman before and have both decided to attend this masquerade party without costume. Why? Because the symbolism here is that Bruce and Selina are the "masks", their costumes so to speak. Their real selves are the Batman and Catwoman personas.

In The Dark Knight Returns, it's just a scene at a masquerade ball. They've never met as Batman and Catwoman yet. Catwoman is in costume, Bruce isn't. Wayne is just being cheeky, looking to get his mom's pearls back. There isn't any symbolism and the scene is played for laughs with the final beat being that Selina stole his lambo.

I think we're done here.
>>
File: Beating sense into you.gif (2 MB, 576x324) Image search: [Google]
Beating sense into you.gif
2 MB, 576x324
>>63315466
>some faggot from /co/ pretending batman hasn't been infinitely re-interpreted in an attempt to make a new DKR shitposting thread
lol okay OP
>>
>>63316988
>>
>>63317030
>mfw michelle pfiere in black latex
>>
File: Znmfo.png (101 KB, 400x294) Image search: [Google]
Znmfo.png
101 KB, 400x294
>that one Batman Beyond where sound guy make Bruce Wayne hear voices like a crazy person

>"Tell me something, why were you so sure those voices weren't coming from you?"
>"The voice kept calling me Bruce. In my mind, that's not what I call myself."
>>
File: batman57.jpg (35 KB, 853x480) Image search: [Google]
batman57.jpg
35 KB, 853x480
>mfw
>>
>>63317004
It's not even that this is particularly deep or anything, it's just that the Nolan films really are style over substance. Very "this happens, then this happens" without any kind of symbolism or meaning beyond what you're seeing. And what you're seeing looks really nice, it's just very shallow.

Although on some level I think this might have been on purpose. It's a more realistic universe, so why would some action scene just so happen to be a metaphor for something? That's not how the real world works.
>>
>>63316764
You're right. Studios are far too aware of what audiences want from a movie that they don't dare change anything. Of course when you make a movie based on what an audience wants instead of following one person's vision, you're left with a hollow, unsatisfying film that gives the audience everything they want in a paint-by-numbers fashion.

You see it with every big non-original movie that comes out these days. Fanboys decide before they've even seen it that the movie must contain x, y and z or it is bad. If the director and screenwriter doesn't follow the fans' blueprints for the movie then it is bad. And then they don't understand why a movie, that has all the ingredients they want in it, ends up being totally forgettable and underwhelming.

There is no challenges presented to the audience and there is no risk taking from the filmmakers.
>>
>>63316219
True. He only makes pure and unfiltered cinema
>>
>>63317004
Yeah that's the point. Young Burton was far more nuanced in his storytelling than Nolan. More clever. There is subtext to the Batman Returns scene. Nolan gives no thought to these ideas and is often depthless in his directing.
>>
>>63316162
>>63316191
>>63316221
>Joker Jokering
>Bruce Wayne sitting down
>Batman Batmaning
>Bruce Wayne watching tv
>More Joker Jokering
>Batman having a batman costume and some batman vehicles
>some romantic interest to be rescued
>More Joker Jokering
I'm convinced, bro, you're not at all retarded.
>>
File: The Dark Knight Rises ending.gif (2 MB, 267x200) Image search: [Google]
The Dark Knight Rises ending.gif
2 MB, 267x200
Wow Nolan's such a hack he even copied the TDKR ending from the 1966 Batman movie
>>
>>63317401

>Joker Jokering

Yeah, killing mob guys, same shots and angles.

>Bruce Wayne sitting down

Amongst all his computer monitors watching the Joker's message feed over and over again and it literally freeze framing on his face

>Batman Batmaning

Thousand ways to portray Batman from a thousand different sources, and yet all the same scenarios are taken

>Batman having a batman costume and some batman vehicles

Fun fact, the Keaton/Burton Batman was the first Batman to have a grapple gun, black eye make up for the expressive cowl, black body armor, guns on his vehicles, and a vault for his shit.

>some romantic interest to be rescued

That he rescues during a chase, that he takes back to his cave, that he gives the antidote/cure to for the villains plan

If you're not convinced, you're a fucking retard, bro.
>>
>>63317004
>this is the deepest symbolism capeshit can come up with

It's for kids anon
>>
>>63317698

Never said it wasn't. I think all the Batman movies are crap and Batman v Superman looks no better.

I don't understand how people are still getting excited for these superhero and Star Wars movies. It's all the same crap repackaged with new "filmmakers" and a new name slapped onto it. It's commercial product, not an actual film.
>>
>>63317402
underrated post
>>
>>63317402
I think he did to be honest. Having a massive bomb with a timer on it was almost definitely a throwback.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.