[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why did adventure movies not really catch on after Indy? At least
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 8
File: Indiana_Jones.jpg (49 KB, 400x597) Image search: [Google]
Indiana_Jones.jpg
49 KB, 400x597
Why did adventure movies not really catch on after Indy? At least good ones, the only one I can think of was The Mummy. Is the concept literally too old fashioned (since most of this stuff derives from the late 19th century to the early 20th)? Is it not PC enough to have a strong white man beating up vicious natives?
>>
You answered your own question. Hollywood got even more liberal and that was that.
>>
>>63314063
I love them, but I think at this point in time younger people seeing films don't want to have blockbusters set in a time without ipads and twitter.

Also, they tend to be set in times where white people are making the rest of the world look like idiots, and pc police don't like that any more.
>>
File: JUST.jpg (93 KB, 930x1157) Image search: [Google]
JUST.jpg
93 KB, 930x1157
>>63314063
>there will never be another Indiana Jones game (not counting the stupid Lego stuff)
>there will never be a proper release of the Staff of Kings
>you will never be able to have the fun of running through ancient ruins and killing nazies
>the only franchise that comes close to it is Tomb Raider, and that's becoming a COD clone now
;_;
>>
Vidya games.

Lara Croft is not only a better substitute, but I can make her bend over at will.
>>
File: image.jpg (107 KB, 387x580) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
107 KB, 387x580
>>63314063
>>63314088
>>63314124

>le PC liberals meme

You faggots get triggered over anything
>>
>>63314624
>but I can make her bend over at will
Aren't you witty. And that doesn't make sense.
>Lara Croft
She's a COD clone now, tombs are sparse in games now and they're entirely optional i.e. you can spend the whole game doing nothing but running and gunning.
>>
Fuck adventure movies, what we really need is more adventure shows, like Tales of The Gold Monkey. Pulp movies will never work as well as pulp shows. The serial nature is practically inherent in the pulp.
>>
File: SaharaRT.jpg (64 KB, 718x356) Image search: [Google]
SaharaRT.jpg
64 KB, 718x356
>>63314063
Sahara was a lot of fun, although it did flop so your point stands
>>
File: 7545494_f1024.jpg (442 KB, 1024x1536) Image search: [Google]
7545494_f1024.jpg
442 KB, 1024x1536
It's because Indy was 80s, and Adventure Movies and related media did catch on hard in the 80s.
And even in recent times you got stuff like National Treasure and The Da Vinci Code along with The Mummy that takes direct influence from Indy. Various video games as well, such as the Uncharted series, Broken Sword and various others.
>>
File: 82215.jpg (30 KB, 236x350) Image search: [Google]
82215.jpg
30 KB, 236x350
>>63314063
>Why did space opera movies not really catch on after Star Wars? At least good ones, the only one I can think of was Dune. Is the concept literally too old fashiones (since most of this stuff derives from the late 19th century to the early 20th)? Is it not PC enough to have a strong white man beating up vicious natives?

why invent a new one if you got a succesful marketable one, that you can just redo and add on to for centuries to come?
>>
>>63315078
There were a fucking ton of Star Wars ripoffs after Star Wars though.
>>
>>63315112
>at least good ones
>>
>>63314846
It's based off a Clive Cussler novel. If you haven't read any of his stuff, I'd do so, they're always a blast to read. The only things some people might not like about them is that environmentalism almost always plays some sort of role in them, and the books are always in the 500+ page range.
>>
>>63314063
Everyone's talking about Tomb Raider but the 2013 reboot (and maybe Rise of the Tomb Raider, haven't play it yet) is too gritty and traumatic to be a good adventure game. It is a good game but kind of miss the point of adventure. Adventure calls for adventure. The need of exotism, action is bigger than the danger. And Lara Croft and her friends gets wrecked too much in the reboot. Litteraly no reasons for her to do this kind of adventure anymore. It's just not worth it.

The only adventure that understand what make adventure great is Uncharted (mostly Uncharted 2 and 3). Naughty Dog really went Indiana Jones path. You like or not the gameplay but in its core Uncharted knows what adventure really is. Discovering lost civilisation/relics, travelling across the glob, feeling the warm of Middle East everytime you take a breath, living over the top action sequences and chases. And as Nathan Drake, you're always hungry for more even if he risked his life more than once. The thrill of adventure is just too powerful. Drake himself is an iconic adventurer just like Indy and Lara Croft before the reboot. Badass, charming, get the ladies, and has a distinctive item and outfit. Uncharted 3 is also a near-remake of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

So you might like or not the gameplay of Uncharted, but the games themselves understand the true greatness of adventure as much as Indiana Jones did.

Also don't forget Tintin, which is the true Indiana Jones 4.
>>
>>63315399
>Discovering lost civilisation/relics
That's what you do in Tomb Raider.
>travelling across the globe
See above.
>feeling the warm of Middle East everytime you take a breath
There was a Tomb Raider game where she spent her whole time there, and another where she spent of it there as well.
>living over the top action sequences and chases
Tomb Raider is qte: the game also.
>Litteraly no reasons for her to do this kind of adventure anymore. It's just not worth it
In the 2013 game it was because she was looking for a lost civilization, and in the Rise of the Tomb Raider she's looking for a lost city. Those are good enough reasons.
Uncharted and Tomb Raider at this point in time are literally one and the same, just that one has girl as the main character and a guy as the other.
>>
>>63315399
Drake is a psychopath and a mass murdering criminal scumbag who seems more like an Indy rival / enemy than Indy himself. They unfortunately did the same thing with Lara in the first series of reboot games where they made her a sociopath psycho bitch.
>>
I think after the success of Gladiator producers preferred to do historical films like sparta, exodus to avoid all the PC police. adventure is not gone, it is just packaged differently not to mention tv shows like ancient aliens and stargate that have a lot in common with indy.
>>
>>63314063
Are you literally fucking retarded? There were HUNDREDS of popular adventure movies after Indy
>>
>>63315399
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5itvws3OMyQ
>>
>>63315750
>at least good ones
>>
>>63315644
Lara was always a sociopathic psycho bitch.
>He doesn't even know that Core's Lara made a snarl face every time she'd shoot her guns
>>
>>63315580
What I mean for the last point is that Lara Croft's adventure in the reboot is way too traumatic to even sparks in her mind the will to do it again. Well, she does do it again, obviously. But the reboot haven't this sense of wonder and fun that Uncharted has. The latter is more light heartly, therefore more in the "Indiana Jones" type of adventure. It is understable that Nathan Drake wants to go back into adventure. It's not that obvious for Lara Croft 2013 and that's my whole point about adventure in general, and that's why the gritty tone of Tomb Raider doesn't match the Indy kind of adventure.

Uncharted is not plagued with QTE, tho.

But I agree that despite the tone of the games, new Tomb Raider and Uncharted have a lot in common, and Uncharted owes a lot to old Tomb Raider. But the general feel of Uncharted is more in phase with what OP said. But that's just my opinion.
>>
File: captain_blood.jpg (191 KB, 288x474) Image search: [Google]
captain_blood.jpg
191 KB, 288x474
The real question is, what happened to swashbucklers? One of the most classic genres of action movie.

We still get a Western or treasure-hunting adventure every now and then, but it's like after Pirates of the Caribbean everyone was too scared to try anything remotely similar.
>>
>>63315399
I agree with you fully about TinTin being Indy4, it was even the first good Spielberg movie in 20 years. It would be great if they did the next Indy movie animated like TinTin to avoid old Ford or recasting.
>>
>>63314063
There were tons of Indiana Jones rip-offs in the 80s and 90s, made everywhere around the world from Hollywood to philippines.

You just don't hear about them because most of them were horrible.
>>
>hurr indy isnt pc
>2 of the old movies hes running from nazis
>the other one hes helping ooga boogas get magic rocks that are actually magic
>>
>>63315759
Goonies
Labyrinth
The Princess Bride
The Dark Crystal
Big Trouble in Little China
The Golden Child
Willow
Legend
Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
Flight of the Navigator
Tron
The Fifth Element

tldr you're literally fucking retarded and think the only thing that qualifies as "adventure" is "guy in brown hat who visits jungle country and saves natives"
>>
>>63315644
Agreed. But the mass shootings is more of a gameplay device than a true psychological trait of the character. Same with Croft.
Don't forget that Indy kills hundred of men in both Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine and Indiana Jones and Emperor's Tomb (don't remember if it's the case in Fate of Atlantis).
>>
Think 4 adventure movies that aren't Jackie Chan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4mQ-4FgqYE
>>
>>63315861
>Legend

>searching obscure imdb keywords for neat adventure films i haven't heard of
>come across this title
>it obviously had influence on fantasy genre in movies & vidya
>wtf why have i never heard about this until spending 45 min doing imdb title searches
>it's not a spectacular movie but worth watching
>>
>>63315983
based Jackie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eX3tFjtkg_I
>>
>>63316008
Legend (if we're talking about Ridley Scott's movie) has beautiful visuals, tho.
>>
>>63316043
Yes! Visually one of the strongest of its era.

Recently watched Maleficent, Disney basically copied the visual design of Legend's forests.
>>
>>63315861
almost all of these movies are from the 80's. What about the 2000's?
>>
>>63316269
The National Treasure series. The Librarian series.

They aren't bad, just "pulpy", and you can't prove otherwise.
>>
>>63316269
not him but just type "advanture movies" into google sheesh
>>
Because Indiana Jones was not the start of an era, it was the end. Before it there were several films who focused on the same brand of high-adventure. High Road to China, Mother Lode, etc. Many of which came out nearly a decade before Indiana Jones and actually inspired Spielberg.

Indy managed to become so iconic though, through the combination of great cinematography, Ford's stellar acting and charisma and the humour injected into even the tense scenes that it became one of the kings of the genre. And at the same time, was a large part of what caused it to die down. Because now suddenly anything attempting a film with the same theme was a Indiana Jones ripoff unless it drastically altered the formula.

Take The Goonies for example, now that's an atypical but still grand adventure film.
>>
File: DIE-ANOTHER-DAY-BAD-FX.jpg (38 KB, 610x254) Image search: [Google]
DIE-ANOTHER-DAY-BAD-FX.jpg
38 KB, 610x254
Isn't every James Bond film an adventure? I've never seen any but they sound like adventure films.
>>
>>63316552
They've got elements.
>>
>>63315785
Cutthroat Island killed pirates until Johnny Depp brought it back on life support.
>>
>>63315861
Born in 1992

Why was the 80's so imaginative and fun? All these films were entertaining and was the last era of practical effects.
>>
>>63316552
More action/suspense then adventure
>>
>>63315785
Cutthroat Island is what happened. Only Disney had the money and power to give it another shot, and everyone else is afraid to try.
>>
>>63316405
>They aren't bad, just "pulpy"

National Treasure is pulpy. The Librarian series is bad. Or at least the first one is, I never bothered with it after that one.
>>
>>63315861
No Krull? The hell is wrong with you.
>>
>>63314063
It turned into TV series

> Buffy
> Neverwhere
> Stargate
> Xena

You could also go for

> Waterworld
> Jumanji
> Jurassic park
> The neverending story
> The fifth element
> Starship troopers

You're an idiot, stop making threads.
>>
>>63315078
>>63315112
>>63315188

>>63314063
>>63315750
>>63315759

>pottery
>>
Sky captain and the world of tomorrow
>>
>>63315399
Assassins Creed: The Black Flag
thank me later
>>
>>63314557
Playing through Fate of Atlantis right now tobehonest.

Possibly the best point and click. Not too easy, but not too cryptic either.
>>
>>63318968
Black Flag would have been GOTY if they'd either removed the story or stopped with the constant time-skips, and actually added some ship mechanics that were nuanced instead of a simple +1, along with crew morale etc.

I'll never understand the hype.
>>
>>63314063
Chauvinistic action hunks got replaced by lame soldier dudes
>>
>>63318968
>>63319303

I actually think Black Flag is a really great adventure game, and the story is pretty solid, in my opinion. A McGuffin (the Observatory), a not-so-hero on the path of redemption, great exotic settings, a true adventure vibe. Only "downside" to the "adventurous sense of wonder" is that the story itself is pretty sad.

Considering the hype, it's strange because the people who like Black Flag are rare, rarely seen some. Fans tend to shit on the game because it was a massive turn in the series, and it wasn't "muh Assassin's Creed" anymore (which it actually was). Then again AC fanbase sucks.
>>
IndyCore 'Lite' edition:

Allan Quatermain:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092534

Romancing the Stone:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088011

Jewel of the Nile:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089370

Tales of the Gold Monkey:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083488

Young Indiana Jones:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103586
>>
>>63321228
>a not-so-hero on the path of redemption

He just went from a guy seeking his fame and being willing to kill people trying to kill him, into a murderer willing to kill anyone that's named on a piece of paper tied to a pigeon, though. While all the assassins complained about how he'd started to kill for money rather than justifying the murdering and stealing with their flimsy creed.

Remove all the assassins stuff and you've got a great adventure game, though.
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.