[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Blood Meridian
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 105
Thread images: 14
File: desert-001.jpg (34 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
desert-001.jpg
34 KB, 460x276
Lets get down to it: Who would you cast as Judge?
>>
this would suck as a movie
>>
A fatter John Malkovich
>>
>>63302507
/thread
>>
>>63302490
that alien guy from Prometheus
>>
File: Craig_Pelton.jpg (29 KB, 400x533) Image search: [Google]
Craig_Pelton.jpg
29 KB, 400x533
>>63302490
Dean Pelton
>>
jesus christ nobody cares you read a book op

i bet youre into really underground music like death grips too
>>
File: 1446000830689.png (222 KB, 1011x1049) Image search: [Google]
1446000830689.png
222 KB, 1011x1049
>>63302490

JOHN HILLCOAT IS THE ONLY MAN FOR THE JOB N EVERYONE KNOWS IT.

ANYBIDY SAY OTHERWISE?..
>>
>>63302490
The antagonist from the first season of True Detective.
>>
>>63302490
Christian XXX
>>
File: 1381097870704.gif (2 MB, 250x220) Image search: [Google]
1381097870704.gif
2 MB, 250x220
>>63302490
Roger Ebert suggested Tom Noonan, who is the best choice I've heard.
>mfw this could never be adapted well and the person most likely to get it done is James Franco
>>
>>63302490
I would go Bresson style and use non professional actors in a bleak as fuck setting. Actors trying too hard to "bring the role to life" would ruin it.
>>
>>63303054
The Judge would almost certainly have to be professional to deliver any of his speeches. A non-professional doing The Judge's speech on 'war is God' would be painful.
>>
Michael Shannon
>>
>>63303210
This is really the best option. If he were willing to commit and make the physical changes and not rely on much makeup, he could do it.

I think the harder question is who plays the kid
>>
Hugo Weaving
>>
>>63303176
Ok that is true, but it would have to be somebody with a stage background and not a hollywood leading man type.
>>
>>63303007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXMNfwwdw90
I can dig it
>>
Randy quaid
>>
>>63302490
>all this shit taste
this is how you do it:
Michael Cera as The Judge
Gilbert Gottfried as The Kid

The movie is all about the kid reconnecting with his dad, who's of course played by Nicolas Cage.
>>
>>63302490
that's impossible
we all know Brando would've been perfect for it but he's dead
>>
>>63303210
nah
good actor but nah
>>
>>63302843
thats actually a good candidate
>>
>>63302824
John Hillcoat is fucking shit, The Road was a horrible adaptation of a weak book and you disgrace the name of Sergio Leone by implying Hillcoat's movies are anything but rubbish while positing with an image from his classic westerns
>>
Nicholas Hoult as The Kid
Jeremy Renner as The Kid after the time skip
Michael Shannon as John Joel Glanton
Robert Redford as Tobin
Ben Foster as Toadvine
Glenn Fleshed (bad guy from True Detective Season 1) as The Judge

Directed by Terrence Malick
>>
David Morse
>>
>>63302490
Jeffrey Dean Morgan
>he looks like the actor who played the villain in the other movie adapted from one of his novels
It's pottery
>>
>>63302740
That guy is 7 feet tall and looks good in a muscle suit. Other than that, there's no reason for him to play judge Holden. He has a stuntman background and probably can't act for shit.

It would make more sense to do force perspective LOTR shit to make him look bigger or whatever they did for Xerxes in 300.
>>
>>63302490
Exhume Marlon Brando's corpse and reinstate him to his Apocalypse Now body.

Other wise: John Goodman or Dan Akroyd
>>
>>63302490

John hillcoat the director looks just like the judge I see in my head
>>
Just get any good, large actor and prosthetic his shit up Prometheus Engineer style
>>
File: image.jpg (240 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
240 KB, 1280x720
>>
>>63307890
This was d'onofrio's trial run for the judge. How has this only just been posted.
>>
>>63302507

>hurr if I say this it makes me smart durr even though Cormac himself said it could work as a movie
>>
File: content_kane.jpg (26 KB, 518x690) Image search: [Google]
content_kane.jpg
26 KB, 518x690
>>63302490

I imagined the judge as Kane when I read the book
>>
>>63307890

Fucking this.
>>
>>63307890
No, his acting is shit. He can play autist, but not anti-force incarnate all knowing judge.
>>
>>63305060
>Directed by Terrence Malick

meme director
>>
>>63307978
Fuck off. He's fucking terrifying in daredevil. Genuinely the most imposing villain on TV for years. You can't just 'play an autist' with no acting skill. All other suggestions on this thread are way off, body type or acting skill wise.
>>
>>63308025
>Genuinely the most imposing villain on TV for years
nah didnt really feel that, he was autistic and a beta faggot in daredevil
>>
https://www.google.pl/search?q=john+sharian&client=ms-android-sonymobile&biw=360&bih=248&prmd=inv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjts7WrosLJAhUHAXMKHV2RDsUQ_AUIBigB
>>
File: high_Christian-XXX.jpg (34 KB, 400x600) Image search: [Google]
high_Christian-XXX.jpg
34 KB, 400x600
>>63302490

Christian xxx

Fatter and beefier.
>>
Tom Noonan
>>
>>63302490
You know what will happen.

>movie shot entirely in blue filter
>>
>>63308650

I'd rather have a white filter for day, blue filter for night, and red filter for morning / afternoon.

It suits the story.

Although I'd rather see a series chapter by chapter, each one made by a different director
>>
>>63307964
Then you need to learn to read better.
>>
>>63308532

Perfect face

Perfect size

Perfect voice

Perfect personality

AIDS

He just needs to have a strongman body
>>
DUDE DEAD BABIES AND WOMEN LMAO
>>
A literally unreadable book would make a literally unwatchable movie you fucking idiots.
>>
>>63309298
>aids
do you have a single fact to back that up?
>>
>>63309183

>implying implications
>>
>>63308689
>15 chapters of walking through a desert
>>
>>63307947
So you have no idea what you're talking about? Typical shit reply.
>>
>>63302490
Daniel Day-Lewis
>>
File: judge-reinhold.png (185 KB, 420x316) Image search: [Google]
judge-reinhold.png
185 KB, 420x316
>>
>>63303210
Isn't the judge supposed to have a baby face? No way would Shannon work. Good actor, though.
>>
>>63305060
I love Malick, but no way could he direct this. The gnostic themes directly oppose his Christian beliefs, so he'd never take up the project.

And even if he did, you faggots would get pissed off when he cuts out the Kid entirely in editing and the whole movie ends up being about Toadvine.
>>
Tbh Refn should direct.
>>
File: Harry-Anderson.jpg (26 KB, 472x372) Image search: [Google]
Harry-Anderson.jpg
26 KB, 472x372
Harry Anderson
>>
File: jk-simmons-oz.jpg (40 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
jk-simmons-oz.jpg
40 KB, 400x400
He's probably too old now, but otherwise this guy is perfect. You'd need an actor with a good sense of humor to really sell the insanity.
>>
>>63307964
Big Show would be better
>>
File: woody.jpg (14 KB, 286x396) Image search: [Google]
woody.jpg
14 KB, 286x396
The slaughter of Captain White and his gang by the Comanches would be a pretty amazing scene if done right

I always liked Woody for the Judge
>>
>>63311528

He'd fuck it up beyond recognition. He doesn't have a strong understanding of story, or character development, or really anything related to screenwriting. He's got a strong visual style, but that's about it. I like his art-house genre-film stuff, but if you gave a him a complex, sprawling book like Blood Meridian and told him to condense it to a 2:30 feature film, he'd be completely lost. It would be a mess.

Honestly, the BEST director for this project would be Mel Gibson. Coens would also do a fine job. PTA might do great too, or he might fuck it all up.
>>
>>63311513
>And even if he did, you faggots would get pissed off when he cuts out the Kid entirely in editing and the whole movie ends up being about Toadvine.

Yeah, that's about right.
>>
File: 01189.jpg (42 KB, 590x333) Image search: [Google]
01189.jpg
42 KB, 590x333
Glenn Fleshler (True Detective).

He's nearly 7 feet tall, huge, looks babyish, and can pull off both menacing and intelligent.
>>
>>63312003

He's 6'1 you fucking dingbat.
>>
>>63312003
Here he is in a more Judge like costume.

This is the fucking Judge.
>>
>>63302490
The guy who played Skinner on the x-files could pull it off if he was a little younger
>>
>>63312030
Is he? I thought he was way taller. Well, cameras can make him look bigger, not a problem.
>>
>>63307978
>duuurrrrr I've only seen him in Full Metal Jacket he can only play retarded autists
>>
If Malick had directed this it absolutely would have been his best movie.
>>
>>63311650
>He'd fuck it up beyond recognition. He doesn't have a strong understanding of story, or character development, or really anything related to screenwriting. He's got a strong visual style, but that's about it. I like his art-house genre-film stuff, but if you gave a him a complex, sprawling book like Blood Meridian and told him to condense it to a 2:30 feature film, he'd be completely lost. It would be a mess.

are you talking about Refn or Malick lol
>>
>>63302545

I'm down with this.
>>
>>63311011

Not the same guy, but Cormac McCarthy has stated that if there was a director with some balls, this could be made into a movie.
>>
>>63311011

>That’s all crap. The fact that’s it’s a bleak and bloody story has nothing to do with whether or not you can put it on the screen. That’s not the issue. The issue is it would be very difficult to do and would require someone with a bountiful imagination and a lot of balls. But the payoff could be extraordinary.

http://www.slashfilm.com/cormac-mccarthy-says-blood-meridian-could-have-an-extraordinary-payoff-on-film/

you arent smart faggot.
>>
>>63311635
this. Bald Woody with extra 20 kilos of fat & muscles
>>
>>63312753

Again, not the same guy, but in McCarthy states pretty clearly that this _could_ make a good movie. Or, implicitly, break the director.
>>
>>63312629

Both, honestly
>>
>>63311540

Not too bad... Actually there's been some pretty gud ideas in the thread.
>>
>>63313216

I don't get why you're quoting this as if it's a relevant piece of information. McCarthy is a novelist, he doesn't know shit about filmmaking.
>>
Director: Mel Gibson

Cinematography: Roger Deakins

Judge: Woody Harrelson

Kid: Tye Sheridan (recognizable, not too young and not too old, he just needs to loose a few pounds - also he kinda looks like Big Guy who could play The Man)

Tobin: Scott Glenn

Toadvine: Michael Shannon

Glanton: Mel Gibson
>>
>>63311650

>BEST director for this project would be Mel Gibson

>>63313428

>Director: Mel Gibson

my niggas
>>
>>63313383

Yeah but Blood Meridian doesn't convert easily into a movie script, like even The Road did.
>>
>>63303007
Noonan is who I've always pictured as the Judge. He's tall, bald, is a good actor, and has a weird quality where it seems like he knows everyone and is really gentle, but he can be intimidating as fuck.

Also, Chrisopher Heyerdahl wouldn't be too bad, either.
>>
>>63311513
Not to mention Blood Meridian is a very dark, pessimistic book. It's all about the evil that men are capable of. Malick is all about hope and optimism. His tone wouldn't fit the book at all.
>>
>>63302490

This movie should've been done 10 years ago. Coens directing with John Goodman as the judge, or PTA directing with Philip Seymour Hoffman as the judge.

Now Hoffman's dead, and Goodman got really old really quickly, and there just hasn't been a new generation of actors and directors working on that level.
>>
>>63302490

Marlon Brando.
>>
>>63307763
>Exhume Marlon Brando's corpse and reinstate him to his Apocalypse Now body.
This is exactly how I picture the judge
>>
>>63313383
>he doesn't know shit about filmmaking.

and you do?
>>
>>63313216
>clearly that this _could_ make a good movie

no shit sherlock, thats the discussion. People are saying it cant be done and McCarthy is saying it can
>>
>>63313857

McCarthy has more credibility than me, sure, but it's pretty much just idle shit-talk either way. If it ends up being adapted, it'll all be in the hands of whichever writer(s), director, and producers get the job. McCarthy's speculation on what MIGHT be able to work doesn't really have any more weight than the discussion in this thread.
>>
>>63313447
I honestly don't see how. The gnostic, anti-Christian themes in the book go against his beliefs as strongly as they would do with Malick. Hell, doubly so since he's Catholic.
>>
>>63313989
>MY OPINION IS JUST AS VALID AS THE ACCLAIMED NOVELIST WHO WROTE THE BOOK
jesus christ
>>
>>63313989
>McCarthy's speculation on what MIGHT be able to work doesn't really have any more weight than the discussion in this thread.

yeah it does when every time someone mentions a blood meridian movie you get a bunch of assholes acting like its literally impossible to do for whatever vague reason.

When people say a book is unfilmable, they usually mean because of the way it is written, the story would translate poorly onto screen. But for this, they usually just mean its really violent which isnt an issue at all.
>>
>>63313907

No, he's saying it "could." Less emphasis on success in that word.
>>
>>63314018
Like that shit matters at all. Some vague faggy "theme" won't enter into who directs it.
>>
>>63313989
Unlike how it is with you, his books have been adapted and he's been directly involved with that process. So it's fair to say he's thought about this stuff and how it would lend itself to a script format. So I think it's also fair to say that he knows much more about what he's talking about than you, credibility be damned.
>>
>>63314108
It would in Gibson's case because he's pretty devout, and you can't really go more Anti-Gnostic than the Catholic Church. Hell, it was pretty much the reason Dogma was established there in the first place.
Also, why hire a director not likely capable or wanting in delivering its themes? I love Mel, but he's wrong for the part.
>>
>>63314018

Did you see Apocalypto? I think he's got a very strong interest in history, and different civilizations, and he's capable of exploring and representing viewpoints that don't necessarily agree with his own. I think he'd have a very interesting take on the settlers vs. natives conflict, as well as the more spiritual themes of the novel.

And unlike Malick, I think he'd have no trouble with the nightmarish tone, the violence, and the representation of human brutality. It's all in his wheelhouse. He might take the material on from a different philosophical angle than McCarthy, but that's part of what makes an interesting adaptation. You don't just want someone to re-create the book like a Wikipedia summary on film, you want someone with a strong personal point-of-view and interpretation of the material
>>
>>63313714

Again, not a bad point.
>>
>>63314018

it definitaly fits with the brutally real tone of Gibsons movies. Obviously influenced by his Catholic upbringing, which is basically you suffer on earth and are rewarded in Heaven.

He would at least be better than Malick who cant tell a story to save his life and it would just turn into 4 hours of pretty south western nature shots.

Not to start shit, but I think the vast majority of Malick fans dont really understand why hes so respected. I think they just heard a lot of people say hes amazing so then they thought it to without really questioning it.
>>
True Detective villain as The Judge
Brad Pitt as John Joel Glanton
Sam Rockwell as Toadvine
Bryan Cranston as Tobin
Some awesome kid actor as The Kid
>>
>>63302490

Clancy Brown would be perfect.
>>
>>63312003
>>63312031
I could actually see this desu
>>
>>63313714
>Hoffman as the judge

What the fuck
Thread replies: 105
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.