[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Deadwood
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 13
File: Ep-2-Doc.jpg (203 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
Ep-2-Doc.jpg
203 KB, 1280x1024
Just finished it and it was pretty good. Favorite characters? I'd say Bullock because I'm also a moralfag and Doc Cochran because he's a pissed off loner
>>
File: Farnum.jpg (7 KB, 251x201) Image search: [Google]
Farnum.jpg
7 KB, 251x201
Who /farnum/ here?
>>
Calamity FUCKIN' Jane is GOAT and any cocksucker says otherwise can fuck right fuckin' off
>>
>>63287799
god that man was such a worm.
>>
File: dafafdssdf.jpg (17 KB, 296x260) Image search: [Google]
dafafdssdf.jpg
17 KB, 296x260
>>63286312
Your question should be who is your favourite characters after Swengin
>>
>>63287979

Swedgin is a given. Impossible to dislike him or his performance.
>>
>>63287920
but very well depicted, i thought we were talking about that
>>
HNHNNNNNNNNNNNG
>>
File: dat_armpits.png (346 KB, 943x522) Image search: [Google]
dat_armpits.png
346 KB, 943x522
>>63288069

I can't unseen this scene, so no hnnnng for me :(
>>
>>63288069

> You will never have a wife who speaks so elegantly and whose dresses touch the floor

Welp. No point in getting married then.
>>
>>63287799
the way that the actor didn't like delivering long dramatic monologues so Milch gives him the most shakespearean role on the show is pretty fucking great.

I'm a sucker for Silas Adams cause the actor is so fun and Francis Wolcott is a perfect monster. Hard to believe its the same actor as jack mccall
>>
this fight was one of the most hands-on i've ever seen in any media, it's great
>>
>>63288283
and dan dority is a well fleshed out right hand man type and Jewel is great for a good many fucking reasons. Honestly the show's strength is how deep the bench is, even after the main leads of Swegin, Bullock and Alma.
>>
I may have fucked up my life flatter'n hammered shit, but I stand here before you today beholden to no human cocksucker
>>
File: 1437770013397.jpg (9 KB, 202x200) Image search: [Google]
1437770013397.jpg
9 KB, 202x200
>it's a Swedgin and Wu hang dai episode
>>
>>63288332
I fucking cringed at the eye ball part
>>
>>63286312
Just about to start season 3 and I'll say that Cy Tolliver would be the best character on almost any other show, but not quite with Al around. Powers Boothe is so goddamn slick and sinister.

Also of note: Trixie is a great lesson in how to write convincing 'strong' female development. Joanie (;_;) is a lesson in how women do not need to be 'strong' to be good characters
>>
recently finished it too, thought it was great. loved the dialogue and characters. sucks that it was cancelled but i hope they don't bother with a new movie. it's just too late now, everyone is old and it will be like getting two episodes at most.
>>
>>63286312
looks like god tier character
>>
>>63288717

Same. That and the kidney stones.
>>
no one ever agrees with me but I never liked Bullock. Just didn't find him convincing as a hard man of the law.
>>
>>63289493
I'm with you. I liked him OK, but he was the weakest part of the cast. Even when he beats the absolute shit out of Alma's dad, he didn't feel right.
>>
here's your hardware, and as he looks a cunt anyway al would like you to have this roooose
>>
>>63289493
whole performance felt a little forced
>>
>>63289493
>>63289548
I always saw him more as a psychopath than a man of the law and yeah
>>63288657
best fucking episodes
>>
>>63289548
Bullock is simply okay. The only particularly interesting thing about him is the subtext of him and Alma that bubbles under all of the scenes after his wife arrives. Even then, at least Alma's character becomes more interesting aside from that.

>>63287799
God damn he was grotesque. Easily the most effective weasel put to screen (see also: Pete Campbell)
>>
>>63289493
I like that he's a type that feels he has to be a sheriff, but has a terrible temperament for it. Even with a sense of justice and duty, he falls short of his goal, which feels like a reasonable criticism of people who go into law enforcement that's not solely the traditional 'people who become cops want to bully people with the law's protection'.

But the classic 'protagonist syndrome' made him so that his character traits make him among the least interesting to watch (in the same vein as Jack from Lost). But the beauty of Deadwood is that it's not a show about Bullock and the traditional single protagonist, but rather the community that Bullock is a working piece of.
>>
QUAGMIRE OF PISS AND BULLSHIT
>>
Sol Star, a bit of a kuck but still quite good
>>
>>63290440
These are good points. The fact that the show is about the camp itself makes Swearengen the main character though. More than anyone else Swearengen is always acting in the camp's best interests, and it benefits every other character in so many ways.

I feel like the appearance of Bullock as just or morality upright were always kind of bullshit. He's a killer, a bully, he beats on people because he likes to (by his own admission) and he is the giganticest hypocrite. He's the same as Swearengen, doing the same kinds of acts to serve his own interests, but he gets held up as virtuous where Swearengen is seen as a bad guy.

Also, the more I watch the show the more I like watching characters I hated the first time I watched it.
>>
File: steve fields.jpg (58 KB, 350x250) Image search: [Google]
steve fields.jpg
58 KB, 350x250
Literally /tv/: the character
>>
>>63287873
Yup as much as I do like Bullock, Al & the guys around the bar, she was my favourite.

For me she's a strong womyn done right.
>>
File: full-faith-and-credit-05-1024.jpg (181 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
full-faith-and-credit-05-1024.jpg
181 KB, 1024x576
>All these entry level pleb characters

Horse Diddler is objectively the best character.

Also why did he kill himself was he autistic?
>>
>>63290830
>strong womyn
But the main aspect about that character is that she's really weak and sensitive. She pretends to be rude so men don't get along, she's afraid of them because of traumatising scenes in her childhood
>>
>>63290890
>call other people pleb
>thinks the character was autistic
>doesn't understand why he killed himself
stop projecting, you autistic pleb
>>
>>63290687
oh yes the parallels and hypocrisies are a part of why Bullock is still interesting.

His 'protagonism' is more a function of the genre of show he's in (Western), which Milch anticipates with Wild Bill, but the show then changes drastically after Bill gets shot. The Western is dead, Bullock isn't quite the hero and Al isn't quite the villain, which follows through on Deadwood as an HBO drama. The show then becomes about what it was always about, which is the formation of community.

Through all of this though, I still try to reckon with the idea that Swearengen still fulfills many of the characteristics of a traditional Western protagonist: fiercely independent, gruff and uncaring until it counts and still self-serving foremost.
>>
>>63289493
The character was interesting but the actor wasn't.
Not saying it was bad acting but compared to the rest of the cast it was really underwhelming.
>>
>>63290922
>call other people pleb
This is simply not true

>thinks the character was autistic
He literally killed himself because Steve said something mean to him.

>doesn't understand why he killed himself
I don't tbqh
>>
>>63290732
I forgot about him. Really good performance.
>>
>>63290732
FUCKINNN NIGGUUURR BASTUUURRRRRRRRRRRD
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaFbMbyoqek

Such a warm scene.
>>
>>63290687
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fwo9KwnOse4

I shed some tear in this scene. He was a great character as well.
>>
>>63290732

That character was literally that guy from the comic of the guy who walks past a black guy and gets made and shit posts on 4chan.

But instead of 4chan he has that shitty bar that wild bill was shot in to yell racist stuff in
>>
File: 1433938822500.jpg (42 KB, 377x326) Image search: [Google]
1433938822500.jpg
42 KB, 377x326
>>63290687
>>63291027
that's actually some pretty sweet analysis anon

good night
>>
>>63286312
Is that Wormtongue and christian monk whoturned out to be a mind wiped murdererin Babylon 5?
>>
>>63291027
I liked that bullock really wanted to be good and because of that always found himself so conflicted by the things he ended up doing. I really liked the conversion he has with sol after he's beaten the shit out of alma's dad and basically arranged for Dan to kill him,i think it perfectly sums up his character, especially when taken together with his conversation with the general later in the same episode.

I think that's why the contrast with Al was so good. They were very similar and most of the time ended up agreeing on what needed to be done, but are coming at it from completely different angles. Bullock wanted to be good and often ended up doing things that didn't sit comfortably with that too achieve good in the long run. Al, I don't think, gave a shit about being good, but often ended up doing good (in the grand scheme of things) while being much more comfortable with his 'bad' actions - because he lacked that desire to be good
>>
For me what killed Bullock was how Olyphant couldn't act intimidating whatsoever.

Watch the scene where he drags Hearst by the ear, he's supposed to be conveying barely restrained anger but he sounds like he's about to start crying.
>>
>>63287799
Thanks for the laugh anon. I needed that.
>>
>>63287873
>Farnham: Be Brief.
>Jane: Be FUCKED

GOAT exchange.
>>
>>63288657
>Wu! America!

You're goddamn right, buddy.
>>
>>63287873
She turns into a blubbering sack of shit any time she actually has to stand up to a strong man
>>
>>63289493
He worked really well for almost the entire first season. He didn't become slightly unlikable until Milch HBO or whoever it was told him to start exaggerating some of his traits for whatever reason. That being said I never started downright hating the character, unlike others.
>>
>>63292185
I thought he did a decent job, except for that scene you mentioned, he really did sound like he was about to cry.
>>
>>63288122
I know man those unshaven armpits blew me off, but hey what can you expect from a bunch of greasy gold hunting cocksuckers.
>>
>>63288122
>>63292882
confirmed gay.
>>
Hell on Wheels is everything this show wish it could be
>>
>yfw
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.