[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I believe that when future generations look back on film in the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: Paul_Thomas_Anderson_2007_crop.jpg (738 KB, 869x1122) Image search: [Google]
Paul_Thomas_Anderson_2007_crop.jpg
738 KB, 869x1122
I believe that when future generations look back on film in the early 21st century, PTA will be remembered as the only great American director from this dark age of Hollywood.

And no I didn't forget Wes "let's just make the same movie over and over" Anderson.
>>
>>63279606
Disagree. He will be ONE of the top few who are remembered, but to put him alone at the top would be a little bit of a stretch.
>>
>>63279606
You're forgetting Tarantino
>>
>>63279631
Who else do you think qualifies?

Mind I'm strictly talking about American filmmakers. On a global scale he's the tip of the iceberg.
>>
>>63279655
Tarantino's peak was twenty years ago. He's way past his prime now and his current output doesn't hold a candle to anything PTA has done. He should be remembered as one of the all time greats of the 90s.
>>
I love PTA but it's the "he's the true GOAT director around now" fans who will pretend ALL of his movies are absolute goat annoy me. Nothing is allowed to be just good, everything has to be a masterpiece. Inherent Vice was good but it was highly flawed. What I like about PTA is that he makes movies that age well tho.

but, on the top of my head, here's a bunch of good american directors from this dark age of Hollywood (not even a fan of em all but they make movies that are liked)

trying to avoid huge well known ones like Coen bros

>Alexander Payne
>Richard Linklater
>Rick Alverson
>Thomas McCarthy
>Jeff Nichols
>David Gordon Green
>Noah Baumbach
>Derek Cianfrance
>Harmony Korine
>Jeremy Saulnier
>
>>
>>63279706
yeah the difference with Tarantino and PTA is that Tarantino peaked with Jackie Brown, PTA continues to get better and take risks
>>
>>63279717
> What I like about PTA is that he makes movies that age well tho

That's why I liken him to Kubrick. He's the only one in the Hollywood mainstream right now generating subversive complicated stuff.

"Masterpiece" is a loaded term, and I haven't seen all of his movies yet, so I can't yet dispute the claim that he's flawed.

Many of the directors you've mentioned I haven't checked out yet, and pretty much all of them are indie directors. I'm curious to find out how the independent film industry will be regarded by scholars of future generations (especially Harmony Korrine).
>>
>>63279760
And his style hasn't stopped evolving. It's like he started out as a Scorsese/Welles lovechild and then matured into something brand new with his last three films.
>>
>>63279760
>>63279923
>>63279965
This is why he will be remembered as the best of this era. He is consistently taking risks and evolving his style. I've loved everything he's done and I think he's at the peak of his abilities and is only getting better. Inherent Vice is his best so far, history will be amazingly kind to it.
>>
>>63280265
His best, totally objectively, is the Master. It's simply got the best performances, visuals, and dialogue (for as little as there is, it's perfect every time).

Now PERSONALLY, I liked Inherent Vice more, but that's just my interpretation. His best is the Master, there's just no arguing that. I mean it's almost an exercise in filmmaking, like Barry Lyndon.
>>
>>63279760
>peaked with Jackie Brown

Things try-hards say
>>
>>63279923
>That's why I liken him to Kubrick

Stop that shit right now because it's pleb as shit. Nobody is Kubrick. PTA doesn't have half the talent.

>>63280377
>Barry Lyndon

shut the fuck up
>>
>>63280433
Kubrick's obviously a huge influence on him, and I think he's the only working director worthy of the comparison.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.