[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Jiro Dreams of Sushi
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 21
File: Jiro.jpg (668 KB, 1436x2436) Image search: [Google]
Jiro.jpg
668 KB, 1436x2436
What did /tv/ think of this doc?

I can only imagine it made most of you uncomfortable.
>>
>>63246201

feels

>uncomfortable

nah you are a fucking faggot
>>
Boring. American Movie is king of docs
>>
I only made it about 30 minutes because

>Hard work is the key to a happy life! Don't complain, just work!!

-A guy who makes hundreds of thousands of dollars a day from not cooking fish, in a society literally built around turning people into compliant slaves for less than nothing
>>
I have daddy issues

Maybe I wouldn't be a whinny little princess if he was still alive
>>
>Jiro Dreams Of Sushi
Like any intelligent, forward thinking citizens of the 21st century, my wife and I are feminists. And like any feminists we were shocked and disgusted by this movie.
Both the main character (Jiro) AND the narrator are male! If alarms aren't going off in your head so far you're probably a bigot. Things became more and more repulsive as the movie played on. All of the supporting characters are male! And even worse, almost every single character in the movie is male!
I don't care if this is a documentary. My wife left the room in tears at the end of the first hour during a particularly sickening scene where Jiro serves a room full of customers. He says (not an exact quote) "I made the meals smaller for the women and larger for the men so that everyone would finish at the same time." Things like this would be expected in a film about Adolf Hitler or Winston Churchill (both disgusting sexist pigs)but in a movie about food it was just chilling. And that wasn't even the worst part! The women in the room appeared (probably special effects or movie magic of some type) TO APPROVE OF THIS. Can you believe that?
My wife won't talk about it and I'm not sure I could if I wanted to. I finished the movie with tears in my bloodshot eyes. I can't believe we've advanced so far as a society and women are still seen as being gutter scum.
Anyone forward thinking enough to simply be on the internet, to find this movie, to read this review, will be disgusted by the brutally sexist assault on your senses and common decency this movie has gotten away with.
>>
Great movie, nice feels and beautifully shot. Food should look as good in movies as it does in this one
>>
File: 1423224869010.jpg (48 KB, 283x316) Image search: [Google]
1423224869010.jpg
48 KB, 283x316
>>63246287
>>
>>63246287
I really like the regular reminders of no matter how bad this place gets, the rest of the internet is worse.

Makes life seem truly worth living, rather than a perpetual, ever worsening nightmare from which death is the only escape, and even that isn't guaranteed.
>>
>>63246266
I understood that he has worked a buttload of hours every day for the past 50 years regardless of how much money he has.
>>
>>63246499
90 years old and still working those kinds of hours
>>
>>63246499
My problem mostly has to do with the idea that "not cooking fish" = "work." It's not like the guy is digging ditches. He doesn't even have to deal with a hot kitchen. Furthermore, the society in which he "works" is so aggressively polite, he never even has to deal with shitty customers.
>>
Jiro nightmares of ass fucking
Norm please come back
>>
>>63246614
then you didn' see sht because you have no clue how he prepares the food. They have to massage the octopus for like 40 fucking minutes before serving it and other types of food undergo similar preparation, to say nothing of the sauces and vegetables, the egg dish that they don't let you do for your first 10 years etc.
>>
>>63246201
>you need to work your whole life 12h a day even if your job is meaningless because that is what life about.

i hate this kind of old people, fuck them i hope he will regret wasted life in the moment of death.
>>
>>63246831
every job is meaningless. You generally either work to get money or to make yourself feel good. Sounds like Jiro gets both benefits
>>
>>63246614
Sushi is so complicated they don't even let a trainee chef touch anything but the rice for years.

That said, Asian food is shit tier.
>>
>>63246201
I want to bully the younger brother.
>>
>>63246903
>Asian food is shit tier.
No.
>>
>eating overpriced sea food while some 120 year old hiroshima nuke survivor keeps constant watch
why would anyone enjoy that
>>
>>63246201

Is Jiro even married to be saying something like that? In my experience it is always the people without kids who always try to give advice about parenting to people. What a fucking fraud.
>>
>>63246825
>>63246903

All that preparation doesn't make the food any better, it just means the cooks are phonies. It's the year 2000 + 15 and these assholes can't think of a better way to tenderize a soft ass octopus?
>>
>>63247042
>In my experience it is always the people without kids
that other guy is literally his son
>>
>>63247042
He has two sons. You know, like the one who is in the fucking picture?

>in my experience
Looks like your experience ain't shit.
>>
>>63247061
but you're contradicting yourself because you said they don't do any work and now you're admitting they do but it's useless. So which is it?
>>
>>63247085

i'm not even the same guy
>>
>>63247094
well your point is still terrible since his restaurant has 3 Michelin stars which means you should consider visiting Japan just to eat there.
>>
>>63246201

This guy is going to have a shop set up for his kids and then bash on other people's kids when they fail at their jobs?
>>
>>63246825
A heart surgeon will work about the same hours as jiro and make 1421 dollars a day, on average. Jiro is making about 70 times that. A day. From preparing, not even cooking, food.

There are no stakes. There are no risks or complications. There's just training. Furthermore actual methods of preparation aren't being researched or refined, as figuring out how to achieve the same (or better) results, stripped of pointless ritual, would reduce the value of "fine dining." But it's also been proven that the price of fine dining is the primary determining factor to it's enjoyment.
>>
>>63247118

That's cool, I'll just be over here tenderizing my food with salt and a little hammer instead of rubbing my dirty chink hands over other people's food for 40 minutes.
>>
>>63247122
You guys didn't see the movie. One kid is probably taking over shop, the other one has his own shop.
>>
>>63247024
Yes.
>>
>>63247061
I completely agree.
I mean, hello? IT'S 2015!
>>
>>63246201
Did not read the thread but guessing it's full of anons telling how Jiros sushi is shit and he's a hack
>>
>>63247163
how would you speed up the preparation of a sauce that needs X hours to settle? Or that octopus? Maybe stick it in a laundry machine? These people have been rated by the harshest food critics on the planet
>>
>>63247163
Heart surgeons are replaceable.
Where can you find someone like Jiro?
>>
>>63247242
basically this and also the classic 4chan meme of denouncing all successful people for just being lucky
>>
>>63247163
>There are no stakes. There are no risks or complications.
Jesus fuck you are one dumb motherfucker
I imagine you are the type of person that buys and enjoys frozen chicken tendies
>>
Is there any other documentaries about japanese persons in this similar style?
>>
>>63247248
Just because they say that's how long it takes them to do it, doesn't mean that's the only way to do it. Furthermore, as mentioned, it's documented fact that expectations/presentation are the primary determining factor in the enjoyment of fine dining. So your mention of food critics was invalidated before you even uttered it. As even they, when given two identical meals, will say the more expensive one was better.
>>
>>63247285
Nope.
>>
>>63247352
except the same critics might eat a $2000 steak and say it's shit, and they regularly do.

You're really not very knowledgeable about this subject
>>
>>63247284
You are now comparing people dying to the chicken being a little dry/bland.
>>
I liked the subjext, but not the execution. It felt very ADHD to me. To many cuts, back and forth, etc.

It was frustrating. I don't know that much more about sushi or the restaurant business experience than before watching it. It was very... superficial.

Still, it's one of the best recent docu movie I've seen.
>>
>>63247285
Rush Hour 2
>>
>>63247248

You make the fucking sauce before you open up shop everyday that's how you fucking do it. Then maybe do the same for the fucking octopus and put it in water. Beating an octopus for 40 or 10 minutes isn't going to matter, it's a fucking octopus how much softer is it going to get? This is all common sense for any restaurant.
>>
>>63247390
Its funny how cognitive dissonance always presents as illiteracy on the internet.

As the situation was, If two of the same, identical shitty steak were served to them twice, one $50 and one $2000, they invariably say the $2000 steak is better.
>>
>>63247430
but Michelin critics only ever eat at expensive places due to the nature of their catalog. So the cheap-expensive thing doesn't apply since they're comparing foods of a similar price. Also these restaurants get the best chefs from all the other places.
>>
>>63247430
That's not true. Most food critics will give the highest mark to the better steak. Unless they get bribed or something.
>>
>>63247425
>You make the fucking sauce before you open up shop everyday
that's what they do. But there are other ingredients to consider, some of which get stale very quickly

>Then maybe do the same for the fucking octopus

you're not reducing the preparation time at all plus they probably do that anyway
>>
>>63247470
Which just further reduces their credibility. For with no baseline, they can't be objective. Furthermore, rejecting anything under X a plate as trash just strengthens my argument and weakens yours.
>>
>>63247504
Do you not know what identical means?

Two plates
Identical cut
Identical preparation
identical presentation
different prices
the more expensive plate is always given the better rating.
>>
>>63247285
The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness
>>
>>63247518
>rejecting anything under X a plate
this is a strawman, I never said anything like that

>with no baseline
what should they do for a baseline? Eat a $2 omelette every time they're about to eat a $70 one? These people have relatives and friends, they know what good cheap food tastes like
>>
>>63247556
>I NO SAY "but Michelin critics only ever eat at expensive places due to the nature of their catalog." SO DAS STAWMAN!!

Okay now you're just embarrassing yourself.
>>
>>63247536
>the more expensive plate is always given the better rating.
No it's not, price/quality ratio is something food critics take to account
Feel free to cite any sources of this happening with actual food critics though, would love to see some.
>>
>>63247542
Thanks, I'll check it out.
>>
>>63247518
lol

you're the dumbest person I've met today
>>
>>63247617
> price/quality ratio is something food critics take to account

Not Michelin critics.
>>
File: miyazaki.jpg (986 KB, 5768x1064) Image search: [Google]
miyazaki.jpg
986 KB, 5768x1064
>>63247542
miyazaki is cool in that film
>>
>>63247598
you're having imaginary arguments against imaginary people. I have no part in it. Michelin food critics know more about food than you will ever know about any subject, this is a fact. Also if you think you can open up a restaurant with mediocre food and just charge $350 a meal and get away with it you are sadly mistaken but invited to try.
>>
>>63247518
>they can't be objective
We are talking about fucking food here
There is no completely clear 'objectivity' in LITERAL taste matters
And Michelin critics don't just give the food ratings, they give the restaurant the rating.
And they always visit the restaurant several times and try several dishes so that they can tell if the quality is consistent during different times and with different dishes.
>>
>>63246201
Why do Asians hate their children so much?
>>
>>63247648
>Not Michelin critics.
But they do
Do you even read the fucking guides?
There is a whole section of "affordable restaurants" that offer great quality for the price
You must not only talk from your ass but eat from there too consider how you can't fucking taste anything
>>
>>63247536
You are a goddamned idiot and know jack shit about how food critics, restaurants and michelin stars work. Please stop, you're embarrassing the shit out of yourself and creating arguments for no reason.
>>
>>63247617
>Identical

You do realize they've done studies on this, right? That "fine dining" is all cons built around dressing up shit until it looks like gold?

You're trying to argue against fact with subjective bullshit.
>>
>>63247648
you're being increasingly moronic with every subsequent post

I suggest you stop posting to save face
>>
>>63247657
Its okay, don't let the bad man shake your worldview built around the idea that cost = quality. How dare he imply that fine dining is a documented scam.
>>
>>63246275
just find a big black man as a replacement

trust me
>>
>>63247697
they've done studies that your mom sucks my dick
>>
>>63247697
let's see a study then
>>
>>63246287
noice
>>
Fine Dining is the Apple computers of Food, thus people defend it to the death rather than admit they're getting ripped off.
>>
>>63247729
I conducted that study. She was sucking like a Hoover, that woman had no shame. I had to stop the study at one point since she was sucking with such force there was danger of a gravitational singularity forming
>>
>>63247738
Supreme tv/film discussion lads
>>
>>63247697
>You do realize they've done studies on this, right?
Then show them
Study where professional food critics give better rating for steak that costs more but is otherwise identical to cheap one
Like I said, would love to see one cause you seem to have such a strong argument based on this study you keep talking about
And again, critics don't just give the rating purely for the food.
>>
>>63247425
>Beating an octopus for 40 or 10 minutes isn't going to matter, it's a fucking octopus how much softer is it going to get?

Have you ever actually prepared an octopus? Because it is actually important. Most restaurants actually deep freeze their octopus first so ice softens it up beforehand. Basically, no one wants to beat the living shit out of a fresh octopus.
>>
>>63247163
seriously, if you are gonna take a stab at the absurdities of capitalism, don't take fucking jiro as an example hahaha.
>>
>>63247731
Google it nigger. Even in a debate format, which this isn't the opponent is only obligated to cite sources when the information isn't readily available. You're on the internet, ALL INFORMATION is readily available.

But you won't, because you don't want to exert effort to prove yourself wrong.
>>
>>63247738
it's ok to be poor, it's not ok to be proud of it
>>
>>63247738
>being a food pleb
I have a theory that this correlates with being a complete pleb with movies as well
What are some of your favorite films anon?
>>
>>63247782
Its okay to get conned, its not okay to be proud of it.
>>
>>63247779
>Google it nigger
aaand you've lost
>>
>>63247753

It would've been decent if the OP didn't decide to bait neets in the first post.
>>
>>63247800
If you look closely, you'll see you just got inb4'd
>>
>>63247779
m8

the burden of proof is on the asserter

aka if flinging shit, walk the talk

reported
>>
>>63247779
>t-there have been OBJECTIVE STUDIES
>ok post one
>S-SHUT UP
>>
>>63247395
it's very japanese, they have a peculiar way of communicating with each other and in the media, so some things just seems sooo out of place, could never watch anime for this reason
>>
>>63247789
>posted from my iphone

uh huh.
>>
>>63247820
>>63247830
Whats this? Continual failures of reading comprehension by those attempting to defend subjective opinion of fine dining against incontrovertible fact of fine dining being a scam?

Amazing.
>>
anyway can we also talk about kingdom of dreams and madness? because that is a really good flick too, miyazaki and overall the people at ghibli seem like decent people

miyazaki though seems to also be a really fucking harsh taskmaster

there's like a note on the wall there that has stuff like

please quit if:
-you no longer have ideas
-you constantly need help
-you don't have initiative
>>
File: dat_face.png (53 KB, 184x184) Image search: [Google]
dat_face.png
53 KB, 184x184
>teenagers on 4chan acting like they know more about the sushi business than a man that has literally dedicated his entire life to working at and running a sushi resturant

hmm
>>
File: 553.jpg (117 KB, 876x719) Image search: [Google]
553.jpg
117 KB, 876x719
Success is a weird, fucked up thing.

It's mostly a luck based thing, with the catch being that hard work increases your chances

If you have success you don't just have money you have power over people. Your mother stops telling you to see a psychiatrist, your friends are more relunctant to make you the butt of a joke, grills are more likely to spread their legs for you.

It's really... well it's both good and bad. Once you get success you realize that people are all a bunch of fair weather slimeballs.
>>
>>63246201
>executing your consumer rights
>failure

this is retarded
>>
File: 1437877935900.jpg (11 KB, 250x255) Image search: [Google]
1437877935900.jpg
11 KB, 250x255
>you will never enjoy anything as much as jiro enjoys making sushi

let alone your actual job
>>
>>63247837
>avoiding the question
pleb spotted
Get back to the GoT thread or wherever the fuck you crawled form
>>
>>63247868
Well jiro's success has more to do with exploiting the culture in which he lives. The exclusivity of jiro's location coupled with the amount of time it's been open feeds into their cultural bias towards believing age and exclusivity = quality. So it might have been hard, when he was just starting out. But once one respected guy says something good about your 4 seat restaurant, demand caused the value of his extremely limited supply to skyrocket to ridiculous rates.

In every other country, hard work doesn't do shit for your chances of success, it's entirely luck. So success is, on average, a measure of how many failures you can suffer before becoming destitute. Which the internet has further reduced, by ensuring every failure is used against you, forever, unless you have a huge marketing campaign to realign public perception.
>>
File: real human being.png (626 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
real human being.png
626 KB, 1280x720
He was a real human being.
>>
>>63247923
Only plebs think in terms of favorites.

oh shit new iphone out gotta get dat
>>
>>63247993
>In every other country, hard work doesn't do shit for your chances of success
Jesus, I think that's the most beta thing I've read for weeks. Yes anon that's why you're a failure, you're just unlucky. All those rich people have 4 leaf clovers up their asses.

Get it together man
>>
File: 1343863342350.png (445 KB, 576x458) Image search: [Google]
1343863342350.png
445 KB, 576x458
>>63246201

>"their kids turn out to be failures"

>his own son is 54 years old and still working as an assistant to his dad
>>
>>63247776
Why? Jiro is basically the embodiment of all the absurdities of capitalism.

Selling $2 worth of fish and rice for $5000 because an old man touched it?
>>
>>63247993
>In every other country, hard work doesn't do shit for your chances of success, it's entirely luck.

Sounds too absolute to be true.
Plus, the way people define 'hard work' impacts how successful they will be (and also how they themselves define success).

Working as a construction worker for 40 years might be hard work, but it most likely won't get you a lot of financial success.
>>
>>63247993
>In every other country, hard work doesn't do shit for your chances of success
kek
You must be one of those "underachieving genius" types that have 250 IQ but are 'lazy'
>>
>>63248046
that's the tradition in Japan

admittedly he probably expected his dad to kick the bucket 15 years ago
>>
>>63248054
>$2 worth of fish
at least watch the movie retard. They show the fish market and how carefully they pick the fish they want and how expensive it is
>>
>>63248030
That all comes down to your definition of success. Which has most likely been defined to an extremely low level by the consumerist society in which you're currently living.
>>
>>63248054
He's selling it for that much because people are willing to pay that much
That's how a market economy of goods and services work bro
>>
>>63247863
The pixar people seem like such delicate pansies in comparison. Seeing and reading some pixar behind the scenes stuff makes me think they would burst into flames with someone like myazaki as their boss.

Their writing teams and story boarders are like 50 people big for gods sake.
>>
>all these fucking pussies ITT who can't think of living an enjoyable life while working hard

holy fuck this is why nobody likes the "younger generation" you stupid fucks working a shitload =/= unhappy life you fucking spergs
>>
>>63248007
>oh shit new iphone out gotta get dat
Is this insult?
It's okay that you are incapable of enjoying finer things in life anon, there are things like chicken tendies and Marvel movies for you folk there. However being bitter over other people being able to comprehend more complex things will only make your own life more miserable.
>>
>>63247993
>>63248054
pls take your 17yo slave morality out of here
>>
>>63247536
No it's not.
>>
>this thread

god damn it was an enjoyable and compelling documentary why is everyone here so buttmad about shit they know nothing about
>>
>>63248127
careful, he knows of "studies" but you have to find them yourself
>>
>>63248102
there's another scene in the movie, one junior animator talks about working for miyazaki

>if you really want to work with him
>maybe it's worth the sacrifice
>but if there is something of yourself that you want to protect
>you should stay away

the guy has some serious dark side
>>
>>63248117
>you don't agree with me implicitly? u must be a pleb who eats chickin tendies and uses a DROID LMAO!!!

:^)
>>
>>63248153
I've seen plenty other Jiro Dreams of Sushi threads and none of them turned into shit threads like this. What the fuck happened?

Great documentary indeed. Hard work (for the sake of enjoying your work, not the promise of financial success) is underrated.
>>
>>63247654
based Anno hanging with Miyazaki
>>
>the younger son says fuck it and opens his own successful sushi place while the older son still works as his dad's bitch boy
At least they seemed to have a good relationship. They're trip together to visit Jiro's dead parents was hilariously depressing.
>Jiro talking shit the entire time about his parents and how they were assholes
>his son acting like the dad and telling him he should be more respectful
>>
>>63248153
Cause /tv/ is full of plebs
Whenever there is a discussion over something your average day person can't for some reason justify or understand, be it fine dining, art, high fashion, or something similar, they try to tear the subject down to their pleb-ass gutter level so to not feel inferior to those who can enjoy and understand these kind of things.
It makes the people feel better about themselves because they feel more intelligent for 'seeing the truth' behind something like expensive sushi.
Plebs can't afford or appreciate the good shit, so they claim it's a scam.
>>
>>63248178
What rubs people wrong about that claim is (trigger warning) 99% of people will only be exploited by corporate interests. A practice which japan is currently the reigning king. So you've got this japanese guy, making hundreds of thousands of dollars a day from touching raw seafood and rice, telling wage slaves to work harder with the promise that work, alone, will bring happiness.

It's contradictory, at best.
>>
I felt bad for the rest of his family.
>>
File: 2011-06-24 18.51.24.jpg (259 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
2011-06-24 18.51.24.jpg
259 KB, 640x480
>>63246903
>That said, Asian food is shit tier.
> an entire continent and not any good food
How fucking retarded are you?
>>
>>63248258
in the eyes of Japanese society the younger son is the bitch because he couldn't cut it at Jiro's. But the older son gets the restaurant so I understand why the younger wanted to move. He probably makes a decent living even without the crazy Michelin money
>>
>>63248270
But the focus in the documentary was never on the money he makes. I highly doubt Jiro defines his happiness by how much money he has.
>>
>>63248270
you know he wasn't always making that kind of money right
>>
>>63246201
It was really great.
>>
Not a docu, but Tampopo was a really good food-related movie. Dem noodles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9m6FoSw4jE
>>
>>63247648
They gave a ramen bar a michelin star just recently, most expensive dish is like $15
>>
>>63248156
Miyazaki is the Terence Fletcher of animation, anon. You need the dedication and the will in addition to talent.
>>
File: barefootgen2.gif (10 KB, 288x406) Image search: [Google]
barefootgen2.gif
10 KB, 288x406
>>63247025
A Japanese friend has a dad who's a chef and his dad lived across the bay from Hiroshima. He said there were charred bodies washing up for months. Shit is horrifying.
>>
>>63248178
There a pleb trolling everyone by claiming there's no such thing as food quality.
>>
>>63248270
I don't really get why people are so caught up with the money side
Jiro does literally nothing but sushi all day erryday, why are people so bitter over that he makes mad stacks? He isn't even fucking using it for anything.
Not to mention the reservation list of the restaurant is 2 fucking years long, it's not only that the price is high because people are willing to pay for it that much, it's even higher to keep the fucking reservation list at a manageable level and even then 2 years worth of full reservations is ridiculous amount by any high-end restaurants standards anywhere in the world.
And to top it off he only has so many people working and so many people he serves at time to keep the quality of his food consistent.
Basically he has EVERY fucking tool to actually rip people off and do mad dough but he doesn't cause he just likes making sushi and that's what he does.
>>
>>63248323
I saw that movie in a Japanese film class I took as an elective. It was pretty damn awesome.
>>
File: Mimizaki.jpg (15 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
Mimizaki.jpg
15 KB, 300x168
>>63248352
Not quite my totoro
>>
>>63248379
This. If Jiro wanted to rip people off and make a shitload, he'd open up a worldwide chain restaurant called 'Jiro's' or something
>>
>>63248421
He could easily have at least 4 restaurants while maintaining the 'high end' status and double each restaurants chair count
But he doesn't cause he likes making fucking sushi and it's the one thing he don't compromise on.
>>
>>63248379
>I don't really get why people are so caught up with the money side

Because the only people who see money as irrelevant don't worry about.

Furthermore, hes been making sushi so long, that making sushi is more natural to him than shitting. So, again, the money comes into play with the idea of getting paid hundreds of thousands of dollars a day for doing something more natural to you as shitting.

I also like how you question why people talk about the money, then start talking about the money yourself.
>>
When the doc first came out the reservations were just a few months. Jiro will die before I eat there
>>
>>63248413
I can see miyazaki leaning in over an animators shoulder while working at his desk whispering this into his ear and sweat starts streaming down his face.
>>
>>63248455
>So, again, the money comes into play with the idea of getting paid hundreds of thousands of dollars a day for doing something more natural to you as shitting.
>perfect a skill through your entire life always trying to improve and never being satisfied to your skill even being the best in the world
>teenagers that masturbate to cartoon porn on chinese fingerpainting forum compare it to being paid for taking a shit
You make a compelling point
>>
>>63248452
Seen from another angle, opening more restaurants would either change his job from "making sushi" to "managing other people making sushi" or potentially damage his brand/reputation if he just let someone else manage the restaurants if he just wanted to make sushi. Actually scratch the "potential" bit, for any reduction in the exclusivity of his sushi would invariably damage his earnings.
>>
>>63248494

And also his menu is only 300$ for the30 minute session. Thats nothing for a world class restaurant. I could spend that in helsinki, posting bridget regan
>>
File: 1447903629045.gif (993 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1447903629045.gif
993 KB, 250x250
>>63246287
kek
>>
>>63248547
>for any reduction in the exclusivity of his sushi would invariably damage his earnings
>2 year list worth of reservations
>already has 2 restaurants
Anon you are one dumbass motherfucker holy shit
>>
>>63248545
I'm not being derisive. It's how the brain works. Due to neuroplasticity, the more you do something, the easier it becomes. The only hard part is repeating something enough, without reward, to attain that level of "skill." But jiro is greatly rewarded.

I get up in the morning, the first thing I think about is taking a piss. Jiro wakes up in the morning, the first thing he thinks about is sushi. I envy that level of rewarded self-actualization. Everyone should, because most everyone will never be able to attain anything near jiro's level of independence or happiness, because they have to trade the core of their very being to not starve.

So you've got this guy, who's basically got the golden ticket to life, telling people who will never have the same opportunities that "hard work will make you happy," because he lacks the necessary self-awareness to realize hard work didn't make him happy, having an amazing, one in a billion life did.
>>
>>63248626
>having a reservation list a mile long means jiro's sushi isn't exclusive

>>
>>63248660
True, he got lucky. But you can't get lucky unless you try.
>>
>>63248660
>having an amazing, one in a billion life did
He just did what he loved all the time
That's not having on in a billion life
Try it out, maybe you'll enjoy life too one day
>>
>>63248413
I think he actually says something similar in this doc about how one animator doesnt draw ashitaka right, says he made him run like a coward, and implies whoever animated that should kill himself.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xuueij_princess-mononoke-the-making-part-1_creation
>>
>>63248689
no, but making the best sushi in the world really is that difficult
>>
>>63248682
It means there are fuckton of people on this earth that are willing to wait for 2 years to pay this man huge sum of money so they can enjoy food he makes
And you don't see how taking in more people are having more restaurants would bring him more money?
If the list stays consistently, say 6 months long instead of that 2 years, he is still making the same amount of money every day with the restaurants he has now.
>>
>>63248689
It's a meme. For sure, it's hard to make great sushi, but it's not some kind of master work.

Japs are very xenophobic and suspicious, so they don't trust anyone who isn't Japanese/the great great great grandson of a Sushi-maker
>>
>>63248707
Being able to do what you love, exclusively, without starving, is exceedingly and increasingly rare in our modern capitalistic society.
>>
>>63248555
Serious.
>>
>>63248777
you got it backwards

Jiro talks about learning to love what you already do. He didn't have any notable success until he was like 55
>>
>>63248777
>Being able to do what you love, exclusively, without starving, is exceedingly and increasingly rare in our modern capitalistic society.
Then git gud faggot
That's what Jiro did
He didn't receive the Michelin stars until he was old as fuck
He also didn't give a fuck it was hard
Stop being a pussy ass faggot and do it
>>
>>63248769
... uh, dog, its supply and demand. There is huge demand for his sushi, almost zero supply. Increasing the number of slots per day would reduce that demand, due to increased supply, no matter what. Then if any of the other restaurants weren't up to the same standard as jiro prime, it would damage public perception of his sushi.

So, at best, its a balancing act. A question of how much added supply and reduced demand can result in more overall money. Furthermore, what sacrifices will have to be made to increase supply.

Am I really explaining basic economics to someone on a site you must be 18+ to browse?
>>
>>63248808
>Jiro talks about learning to love what you already do.

I had actually forgotten about that and now I'm mad all over again.

So it's worse. He's telling people working the cash register at fucking macdonard's to love what they do and they'll be happy.
>>
>>63248893
Actually, that's exactly what that black couple who are now on food network did
>>
>>63248893
Confucians, man
>>
>>63248893
well if you work your ass off at McDs you could probably make restaurant manager after a while and you'll be ok money-wise.
>>
>>63248916
There's a show on food network about people who man cash registers?
>>
>>63247830
kek'd
>>
>>63248868
>2 years worth of people DEMANDING their sushi
>Jiro can only supply very little
>increasing the supply would not bring him any more money
>Am I really explaining basic economics to someone on a site you must be 18+ to browse?
Yeah I'm not following you here
>>
>>63248950
Shifting from cash register to manager isn't loving what you do, its a different job.

The philosphy jiro is spouting is basically, never move from your current position in life, and you'll be happy.
>>
>>63248893
>So it's worse. He's telling people working the cash register at fucking macdonard's to love what they do and they'll be happy.
How is loving something you do "worse"?
It would the coolest fucking shit ever if I could learn to love some dead-end wage slave job, wouldn't have to do much shit and I would be happy all the time.
>>
File: Bald_Eagle_Profile_Portrait_2.jpg (74 KB, 1000x696) Image search: [Google]
Bald_Eagle_Profile_Portrait_2.jpg
74 KB, 1000x696
All it did was remind me of why Japanese culture is cancer and leads to an astronomically high suicide rate
>>
>>63249006
The 2 year waiting list is for JIRO's sushi. The shit he personally makes.

Put it together man.
>>
>>63249018
McDs doesn't have a "cash register person" job. There are crew members, shift managers and restaurant managers. As a crew member you may be asked to work the cash register, make/serve the food, do kids parties or sometimes clean. If you do your job well you can be promoted.

Don't reduce everything to absurdity
>>
>>63249051
Thankfully the number of NEETs rising is at least hope that the new generation of Japs are adopting a more ancient Greek style philosophy instead of the Buddhist/Confucian slave mentality.
>>
>>63249042
Because hes basically advocating peolpe give themselves stockholm's syndrome for their wage-slave job.

Yea, it'd be great if it were possible to love getting shit on by fat assholes every day, like being retarded seems to be so great because of how happy retards are, 24/7, but it's still sacrificing the core of your being so you can continue surviving.
>>
>>63249078
Shh, don't make things complicated for the underage poorfag
>>
>serving uncooked fish
>a job
>food critic
>a job
some of you need some serious red pilling
>>
>>63249069
The sister restaurant has waiting list almost as long you doofus
>>
>>63249078
According to jiro's philosophy, the reason people aren't happy at McDonard's is because they're moved around so much. They can't love what they do because they're asked to do too many things.

And shit, I didn't realize I was talking to someone who graduated from the university of macdonald's
>>
>>63249104
>Because hes basically advocating peolpe give themselves stockholm's syndrome for their wage-slave job.
Yeah twisting his words sure showed me the error of his philosophy
>>
>>63249146
and lower price for seats.

So thanks for helping to defeat your own arguments with basic logic.
>>
"Woke up at 5 A.M. then came home at 11 P.M. when everyone was already sleeping. I never saw my family!" *Father and son laugh
>>
>>63249153
>According to jiro's philosophy, the reason people aren't happy at McDonard's is because they're moved around so much
this is your interpretation based on a hypothetical question that jiro was never asked and a hypothetical answer he never gave
>>
>>63249201
jesus christ
>tfw 80 and still doesn't understand how brainwashed he is
imagine if he lost an arm and then his job because of it. He'd suicide in a week
>>
>>63249206
... I see you're incapable of interpreting things... that must be rough... or not, if someone tells you it isn't.
>>
>>63249180
>supply is way under the demand
That was my entire logic tho
I still don't really get your point how he would loose money
Not to mention with reservation list that long he wouldn't even have to do that, he could just raise the prices, the reservation list would get shorter, but again, even if it's fully booked for 6 months or 3 months before he is making more money
You don't really understand fuck all about restaurant business do you?
>>
>>63249232
they do say that the No1 killer of old people is retirement
>>
>>63249279
I didn't want to go here, because it should be completely obvious, but here goes.

hes making hundreds of thousands of dollars a day from a completely stress free job he loves. Why would he increase his stress level by opening more restaurants for no benefit beyond more money in excess of what he could ever spend and more risk? Which would simply open him to the risk of losing what he already has?
>>
>>63248283
>hurr durr they're a continent so their food must be good
By that logic, indian food shouldn't be the diarrhea it actually is.
>>
>>63249232
Yeah dude he's the one who's brainwashed.
Un-fucking-real.
>>
>>63248323
its good
>>
>>63247042
He has a son. He's like 63, has prepared sushi for 50 years and still can't inherit the restaurant because his cunt father is too busy being a primadonna.

He'll be his own boss for 2 days before dying of a heart attack.
>>
>>63249389
>hundreds of thousands of dollars a day
So you actually know fuck all about his business either?
>>
>>63249442
All the figures are given by the documentary. Did you even watch it?
>>
it helped me understand why japan has a load of hikkis and drone workers

the only thing that annoys me is when people who watch it act like the quality of an extremely simple dish won't plateau after a decade of experience at most
>>
>>63249459
Jiro stresses the importance of always innovating and making new dishes

so no
>>
It was the comfiest doc I've watched recently.

The Rice Dealer was the best
>>
>>63248868
>There is huge demand for his sushi
This is what I'll never understand. Raw fish on overcooked, tasteless rice. And they treat it like a delicacy.

It is shit.
>>
>>63249459
japan has a strong cultural bias for lavishing huge amounts of respect and prestige (and money, thanks to capitalism) upon "masters." So basically every second that jiro remains alive, his value increases.
>>
>>63249480
your point is completely separate from what i said, unless you're trying to say that the things he makes multiple times a day for decades get better because he sometimes introduces other things
>>
>>63249454
>hundreds of thousands of dollars a day
did you even read what you wrote
did you even watch the documentary
>>
>>63249548
So that's a "no, I haven't actually watched it," and an admission you're just trolling.

Cool, thanks.
>>
>>63249506
>>63249544
why do people reduce shit to such an extent. There are thousands of different sushi dishes. It's like saying that burgers are all just meat with lettuce and bread so how can one be better than the other.
>>
>>63247163
Too bad no one will pay you for sucking all those dicks
>>
>>63249570
Think about for a second here
You are claiming he is making hundreds of thousands of dollars a day
Do you realize how absurd that is?
I mean I was aware you are a retard from the start of this conversation but l thought you have been just amusing me until now.
>>
>>63249574
Because there is a plateau to actual food quality, and getting past it (read: fine dining) is all about presentation.
>>
>>63249608
yeah, where is that plateau? Which restaurant serves perfect food? I want to go there
>>
>>63249600
It's in the documentary, dog. Price per seat times seats per day.

they even directly admit to increasing prices if costs increase.
>>
File: Get Me Laughter!.gif (446 KB, 280x153) Image search: [Google]
Get Me Laughter!.gif
446 KB, 280x153
>>63249454
I did watch it, and you're full of shit. The meals cost $300 per person, with a fast turnover of about half an hour. It's literally impossible for his restaurant to make hundreds of thousands of dollars.

>resturant holds, let's be very generous, 20 people (most footage shows about 10 people in there)
>20 people x $300= $6000
>assuming an 10 hour day, that's 20 shifts
>20 shifts gives you $120,000 total

Subtract from that the horrendous amount he spends on fresh fish and other ingredients, not to mention salaries and other running costs every day, and it's clear that you're a piece of shit who doesn't understand math.
>>
>>63249639
Olive Garden
>>
>>63247164
For what it's worth I think eating raw or even cured fish is simply disgusting. How many people do even get sick every year from all those parasites?
>>
>>63248046
If his dad is the best, and he want's to learn from the best. What else is he supposed to do?
>>
>here comes the commie redditors

50 years ago these people would be executed

we need to go back
>>
>>63248054
Your kind will be the first to be replaced by the robots.
>>
>>63249665
>How many people do even get sick every year from all those parasites
probably as many as the people who get sick from any other shoddily prepared food in a bad restaurant
>>
>>63249665
>How many people do even get sick every year from all those parasites?

Not many. How many people get sick eating poorly cooked beef, chicken and pork? Fuck, you can get yourself sick eating a bad potato.
>>
>>63246201
I too have a netflix subscription
>>
>>63249661
I want Brian Redban to leave
>>
>>63246266
>-A guy who makes hundreds of thousands of dollars a day from not cooking fish
And he makes that much money because he spent an entire lifetime working extremely hard you fucking loser.
>>
>>63248270
I doubt he gives a fuck about the money. The price tag is to ensure patrons take it as seriously as he does.
>>
>>63249649
There's actually only 10 seats in the restaurant. So cut your math in half, anon is still full of shit.
>>
>>63249649
>THEYS NO WAY HE CAN MAKE HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS A DAY!
>does math
>comes to $120,000 a day, minimum
>SEE?? NO WAY!!

... I...
>>
>>63246614
Holy shit what an utter fucking retard
>>
>>63247836
you're a fucking retard, it's directed by an American trashbag

I bet you're the type of weeb that enjoys hibachi
>>
>>63247042
No man his two sons just grew out of a fucking lotus flower.
>>
>>63249649
>assuming an 10 hour day, that's 20 shifts
They don't actually have that many either, they prep some of the stuff before the people arrive, so that everything is perfect. They have 10 shifts a day
>>
>>63249574
>There are thousands of different sushi dishes
And they are all shit.

I tasted a lot of different sushi. Always shit.

It's amazing to me that so many people are willing to pay a SHITLOAD of money for what is essentially trash.
>>
File: You're Serious.jpg (17 KB, 300x256) Image search: [Google]
You're Serious.jpg
17 KB, 300x256
>>63249761
A) less that $200,000 is not 'hundreds of thousands', anon. Learn to count

B) got the math wrong, >>63249755 pointed out that the number should be half that because of the size of the restaurant, and >>63249812 points out that it's far fewer shifts

C) that's not a minimum, retard; that's assuming max capacity at all times, no breaks or slowdowns, never an empty seat for even a second

D) He's not making that amount, as I pointed out a huge chunk of that is flowing right back out of the restaurant

TL;DR actually get a job, learn how restaurants work, go fuck yourself until then
>>
I can admire the dedication to be the very best at what you do, but Jiro is a shitty dad. I'm also quite certain his son's sushi is just as good
>>
>>63249832
wow anon you should take those stunning findings and destroy the sushi industry or at least extort them so they pay you to hide the truth
>>
>>63249739
Yep. And like it has been stated in this thread numerous times, the place is fully booked for 2 years, he could probably double the price and still be fully booked for 6 months and he would be making double the money.
>>
>>63249846
>shit, gotta back pedal
>better post the futurama image

:^)
>>
>>63246201
I love sushi and well made documentaries. Needless to say, I think it's great.
>>
>>63248046
This, so much.
>>
>>63246266
NEED detected. Have you ever worked a day in your life? Wow raids and chores your mom makes you do so you can continue to live in her basement long past when you should be married don't count.
>>
I liked that rice salesman, Jiro's buddy

>the Grand Hyatt wanted to buy my rice
>I told them to fuck off, they don't know how to prepare it

based
>>
>>63249767
Weeabo spotted
>>
>>63249897
Literally this
>>
>>63248046
To be fair, because japan, every second he works under jiro increases his value.
>>
>>63247688
>what is a free market

Unless acted on by an outside force the price is determined by demand. I'm not aware of any government programs forcing fine dining restaurants to charge a certain amount, so the price they charge is what the market has deemed worth it. If the market, i.e. the majority, deem it unacceptable Jiro would go out of business. Your personal perception of worth is irrelevant as you do not have enough market power to change the price as an individual.
>>
>>63247284
Weeb
>>
>>63249916
>just keep doing shitty hard work and someday you'll be able to retire maybe just barely!
Fuck you
The average life for most people is shit
No bullshit wise metaphorical advice is gonna change that
>>
>>63249806
Kek'd irl
>>
>>63249943
I don't think so, he's probably already regarded as as the second best sushi chef. He just waits for his dad to die/retire
>>
>>63249666

>learning
>at 54
>>
>>63249960
>If the market, i.e. the majority, deem it unacceptable Jiro would go out of business.

Uh, considering he catering to a microscopic minority of extremely wealthy (and/or stupid) people, you've just proven why free market doesn't actually work.
>>
File: adopted.jpg (135 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
adopted.jpg
135 KB, 1280x720
>>63248046
>>63249897
I don't think you chucklefucks get how Japan works

It's not that his son is inferior to Jiro... I suspect he might actually be more technically skilled

It's just that public perception is that Jiro = the tits, so when Jiro inevitably dies the new tits is going to be the guy who trained under him until his dying breath

With all things, perception matters more than reality. No doubt Jiro is skilled, but what makes him a genius is the belief that he is one
>>
>>63249993
Considering being the second (or third, after his brother) best sushi chef ever still means making exponentially more money than a surgeon in a zero stress job... I think he'll get by, somehow.

GRANTED HIS RESERVATION LIST WILL ONLY BE 18 MONTHS LONG AND HE'LL ONLY BE ABLE TO BASELINE $200 A SEAT, HE'LL SURVIVE, SOMEHOW!
>>
>>63250046

Japan is a fucking weird place and you weeaboos should kill yourself
>>
>>63247868
Not necessarily. Lewis Hamilton said his mother is still a backseat driver. And your friends will still call you a cunt.
>>
>>63250046
In japan, with their master worship culture, studying under masters is almost just as good as being the master, and the gap between is reduced every year under said tutelage. Furthermore, surpassing the master is possible, all it takes is for one respected person to say as much.
>>
>>63246201
Loved it.
>>
>>63250121
Or, as tends to happen, death.
>>
Get a job you enjoy doing and do it

t. not me
>>
>>63250150
Either way, he'll get by, and if he isn't as insane as his dad, easily save up "fuck you" money and just quit and do whatever the rest of his life.
>>
>>63250046
Here comes the Japan expert. See the anime picture? That's how you know he knows what he's talking about.
>>
except real life japan is just people working regular jobs, drinking and having fun. And this type of shit was already getting old before the 1800s.
>>
>>63247731
>>63247779
Blown the fuck out like the utter fucking retard you are.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.