[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How come Maul had the High Ground but lost to Obi Wan?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 109
Thread images: 14
File: latest.jpg (25 KB, 388x303) Image search: [Google]
latest.jpg
25 KB, 388x303
How come Maul had the High Ground but lost to Obi Wan?
>>
Why did he let Obi slice him?
>>
File: george-lucas-600cs051612.jpg (42 KB, 600x433) Image search: [Google]
george-lucas-600cs051612.jpg
42 KB, 600x433
>Because fuck you, that's why
>>
Obi-Wan had the high ground from a certain point of view.
>>
>>63243044
the planet is currently rotated upsidedown so hes actually high grounded
>>
>>63243044
Just because a person has the high ground it doesn't mean 'Its Over'

Only if your Obi Wan can you have that kind of assurance
>>
>>63243044
He was a cocky dumbass who was too busy gloating to take advantage of the situation.
>>
The Darth Maul fight, from beginning to end, is a great scene. Too bad it has to be in such a shit movie.
>>
I know it's silly and all but

DARTH MAUL DIDN'T EVEN CLOSE HIS LIGHTSABER

HE FUCKING HAD IT IN HIS HAND WHILE OBI WAN SLOWLY JUMPED UP AND ABOVE AND BEHIND HIM

HE HAD SO MANY CHANCES TO SLICE HIM OR BLOCK HIM
>>
>>63243106
Darth Maul is Boba Fett all over again. Doesn't do much but is loved by everyone and sells enough toys to be retconned back to life.
>>
Cause Obi Wan's A Big Guy
>>
>>63243109
obi wan used triple acceration plus the high ground technique. This confused Maul and that is why he seems to move so slow for the 5 seconds it takes for Obi Wan to jump over him
>>
>>63243135
for you...
>>
From a Certain Point of View, Obi Wan always has the high ground. You simply have to shift your perspective of the fight 90 degrees like Obi Wan did when he got knocked down. Maul didn't spin, which is really the only effective counterattack to Obi Wan's high ground stat boost.
>>
File: high ground.png (9 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
high ground.png
9 KB, 800x600
>>63243044
Did he?
>>
obi wan spun 180 degrees and walked away
>>
ObiWan has the force ability of
A Certain Point of View

keep up
>>
Obi Wan just knows how to counter when someone has the high ground. It's the form of lightsaber combat he studied the most. That's why he knew Anakin was fucked and why he beat Maul and Grevous.
>>
File: 4586123564321.png (368 KB, 530x513) Image search: [Google]
4586123564321.png
368 KB, 530x513
he had the foresight to know that if he was struck down, he would become more powerful than Obi Wan could imagine, and also Dooko then Ani were in line to replace him as Sidious' apprentice, so he took the slice and went into exile.
>>
>>63243166
It seems like the only way to fight obi wan is to destroy the ground
>>
>>63243359

or just fight him on even ground where there is no height disparity
>>
>>63243359
He'd only become more high than you can possibly imagine.
>>
>>63243335
Currently watching the Maul arc, it's pretty fucking amazing honestly
>>
He used less refined version of sheeve's spinning technique, it was a good trick
>>
Well much like the grevious fight Obi Wan still had the high ground.
>>
>>63243094
Only a sith deals in absolutes
>>
File: image.png (2 MB, 1920x816) Image search: [Google]
image.png
2 MB, 1920x816
What was the purpose of the laser walls? They don't really seem to have any use, besides conveniently keeping Obi-Wan from saving Qui-Gon.
>>
>>63243479
They restrict airflow to the servo tube in the astrodunker.
>>
>>63243479

They are red laser walls (sith) being controlled by Jar Jar Binks who is a Sith lord and is probably snoke.
>>
Only Obi-Wan understands the true intricacies of the high ground. You can't beat a master at his own game.
>>
>>63243423
he gets rekt
>>
>>63243479
Probably some kind of security measure for some reason. Fuck this movie is terrible
>>
>>63243479
they artificially create tension
>>
>>63243479
>Qui Gon just sitting down and closing his eyes to meditate

even as a kid I thought that was absurd and pretentious
>>
>>63243559
I liked it. Maul is pacing back in forth. It's classic Lucas poetry.
>>
How many times must we go over this?
It doesnt matter if its low or high. As soon as Obi-Wan gets on uneven ground he wins.
>Maul
Lower ground, win
>Jango
Constant trying to fly over him, win
>Jango in space
No gravity in space, lost
>Doku
Even ground, lost
>Doku
Doku specificaly jumped from higher ground to avoid this, lost
>Grievous
Low ground, won
>Anakin
High Ground, won
>Sand People
High ground, they ran like bitches
>Vader
Even ground, lost
>As a ghost
Higher place of existence, won
>>
>>63243479
They needed something to use up all the electricity the generator made. However, there wasn't enough electricity to keep them all on at once so they had to cycle.
>>
>>63243574
>>63243559
This, I thought that was pretty good
>>
>>63243044

How would you change this scene so it ended in a clever way?
>>
>>63243582
>literally the only way to beat Kenobi is to fight him on even ground
>>
>>63243619
>this
>two differing opinions
>>
>>63243582
I like how him getting uneven is actually the turning point for obiwan in all of these
>>
>>63243646
I mean

This, mr second post, I agree with you and even moreso, and I am telling it to mr first post
>>
>>63243643

Obi-Wan would've defeated Sheev if they dueled in the senate. They multileveled arena-like building would've given him many opportunities for high or low ground.
>>
>>63243638
force pull lightsaber towards Maul.
As he does so, force push the button to turn it on, thus cutting mauls leg off.

Or just force pull him off the ledge.
>>
>>63243077
LOL
>>
>>63243479
They are chompers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqRdT8m1Suo
>>
>>63243673
I'd say he woule even had defeated sheev in the throne room, with all the ramps, the throne, the machines, etc

His biggest foe was actually the corridor
>>
>>63243638
>obiwan jumps backwards across the vent pulling qui gons saber to him
>maul pursues
>obiwan lands on the edge of the vent and lunges forward to swipe maul while still in the air
>>
>>63243638
A few options:

- Some sort of force pull when he jumps up that makes maul drop

- Maul at least has his fucking saber turned off

- Some sort of stabbing attacking or slicing from the front of from below, so that it's not obvious Maul has multiple chances to respond

- Other people come in and Maul runs away

- Obi Wan doesn't get pushed down in the first place, fight goes on in another way
>>
>>63243087
Undergraded toast
>>
>>63243449
that's pretty ironic
>>
>>63243638
Don't let qui gon job to maul so easy

Let the fight continue 2 on 1 while obiwan and qui gon take small hits. When it becomes apparent that they won't win, qui gon lets maul kill him so that he is exposed for obi wan to take him out. Sacrifice is better than revenge.
>>
>>63243709
I like the way this starts.
Can we have Obi do a spinning lunge across the pit, going "GUAAAAAARGHHHHHHHHH", straight through Maul who's also jumping across to get to him? From my point of view that's a good trick.
>>
>>63243857
>"GUAAAAAARGHHHHHHHHH"

That's a Sith technique so no.
>>
>>63243109
Obi-Wan had the high ground from a certain perspective AND he tried spinning.
There was literally nothing Darth Maul could've done at that point.
>>
>>63243359
>fighting Obi-Wan in 3 dimensional space
You're fucked.
The only way to fight Obi-Wan equally is in an even floored room with 4 walls and a ceiling.
That's why Vader won, there was nowhere in that Death Star corridor for Obi-Wan to gain the high ground.
>>
>>63243044
Maul might have had the actual high ground but he doesn't has the MORAL highground..so he lost
>>
>>63243044
because the perfect counter to having the high ground is force grabbing your lightsaber that's outside your field of view, and using the force to pull yourself up and then faster than lighting slashing the guy in half.
>>
Why didn't he used force run like they did at the start of the movie?
>>
Sheev intentionally didn't teach Maul in the ways of the high ground to keep him weak. The Sith are crafty and are always mindful of betrayal. They will often keep secrets to themselves.
>>
>>63243559
I liked this scene, it points out the difference between the ideologies of Sith/Jedi. One is calm and meditative and the other is angry, full of rage and eager to kill, impatiently pacing around
>>
File: wonderwhy.png (369 KB, 640x318) Image search: [Google]
wonderwhy.png
369 KB, 640x318
What was Maul's special technique?
>>
>>63245806
and then Obi Wan bounces on the spot like an angry chav when it's his turn to brawl with Maul.
>>
File: 1449045874128.jpg (53 KB, 388x303) Image search: [Google]
1449045874128.jpg
53 KB, 388x303
>FROM MY POINT OF VIEW I HAVE THE HIGH GROUND
>>
>>63243479
A galaxy far far away is actually hell
>>
>>63245816
dual bladed lighsaber
>>
>>63245835
Because he was pissed. Obi-Wan was dangerously close to the dark side just like Luke was in RotJ.
>>
>>63243449
darth higround
>>
>>63243559

They copied it from Swtor where characters use the same pose to regain hp.
>>
File: qt.png (214 KB, 811x795) Image search: [Google]
qt.png
214 KB, 811x795
>>63245836
From my point of view the High Ground is evil !
>>
>>63246001
WELL THEN YOU ARE EVENED OUT
>>
>>63245835
>>63245888
This. Obi was a padawan prone to mistakes his master was immune to. I always believed he came close to the dark side when Qui got killed and attacked Maul in rage
>>
He lost the will to live
>>
>>63243106
nah it isn't. it's pretty much shit from beginning to end. First off the "epic high speed kung fu" choreography is garbage and doesn't even look like a fight, it just literally looks like two/three people dancing to choreography. Secondly why are they arbitrarily shoved in some kind of massive generator room that's like 5 feet from the palace? Does Amidala need that to power the little compartment on her throne that hides a gun? Oh wait, it had to be there because it had to be muh OT fight scene pottery. What was with those stupid opening closing doors? Oh wait can't find other way to create tension through the characters' acting or fight performance so have to add them in.. Why didn't Obi-Wan speed-run through them like we know he can do from the intro of the movie? Oh wait uh... George forgot. Why wasn't Maul given any sort of reasonable backstory or motivation whatsoever? Oh uh we need a spooky devil face bad guy.. kids will find this scary right?
>>
>never won a fight on even ground
Why is Obi-Wan so overrated?
>>
>>63246125
He was willing to let Vader get a killing blow in just so he could ascend to a higher plane of existence. That's how devoted he was to the high ground.
>>
File: 1400890630195.jpg (56 KB, 342x342) Image search: [Google]
1400890630195.jpg
56 KB, 342x342
>>63246192
>>
>>63243479
its a security protocol for the generator of the facility. They oscillate like that because Maul jams them with his lightsaber before running into them. Maul creates the situation to separate the two jedis so he can level the odds in his favour. Please watch movies more closely, things tend to be explained quickly and visually.
>>
>>63243479
i don't know but i'm sure wookiepedia has a 50 page essay on it
>>
>>63246125
Um, Grevious?
>>
>>63246653
>had to shoot first
Kenobi a chump without highground
>>
>>63243044
High ground technique is only known to Obi Wan
>>
Reminder that Obi-Wan beat the Sand people in Episode 4 by having the high ground.
>>
Darth Maul had the high ground over his own legs, which is why he survived and they didn't.
>>
HIGH GROUND
>>
>>63243359
Is that why they built the Death Star?
>>
>>63248090
Precisely, Obi Wan had to be stopped, but it was too late and he taught Luke High Ground
>>
>>63246099
I can hear the cheeto crumbs in your post.
>>
people always complain about the new trilogy. when thinking of light-sabers this is the fight that first comes to mind. proove me wrong.
>>
>>63246803
Hahahah
>>
>>63243335
How does he poop?
>>
File: 1448653755455.jpg (45 KB, 570x487) Image search: [Google]
1448653755455.jpg
45 KB, 570x487
>>63243582
>>As a ghost
>Higher place of existence, won
>>
>>63246602
No he doesn't. Look it up on youtube. Qui Gon and Maul are fighting on the narrow pathway and the barriers behind maul are already engaged. They then disappear and reappear just when obi wan reaches the first barrier. Maul literally did nothing to make them (dis)appear.

Get your facts straight.
>>
>>63246630
Underrated post
>>
It makes sense.
Obi-Wan won with a force jump and spin.
Later when Anakin tried to do the same, Obi-Wan was ready for it because he'd done it before.
>>
>>63245272

Notice how obi-Wan didn't even try to defeat Vader. Once he realized there was no way for him to get on uneven ground, he knew it was over.
>>
Imagine being the janitor on this board and having to be all like "damn, Anonymous, your memes' fuckin' fine, all epic with your rehashed content and horrific unoriginal jokes. I would totally use these memes, both on the internet and in real life." when all he really wants to do is troll another 16 year old on facebook. Like seriously imagine having to be the janitor and not only sit on this board while Anonymous flaunts his disgusting memes in front of you, the Yotsuba B layout barely concealing his putrid body odor and greasy skin, and just sit here, thread after thread, hour after hour, while he perfected that meme. Not only having to tolerate his monstrous fucking memeshit but his haughty attitude as everyone in the thread tells him he's WELL MEME'D, FRIEND and DAMN, /tv/ MEMES LOOK LIKE *THAT*?? because they're not the ones who have to sit here and watch his redditish fucking posts contort into types of autism you didn't even know existed before that day. You've been posting nothing but a healthy diet of waifu threads and /got/ generals and later alleged cinema threads for your ENTIRE CAREER coming straight out of the boonies in /b/. You've never even seen anything this fucking disgusting before, and now you swear you can taste the sweat that's breaking out on his scraggly neckbeard as he sucks it in to chortle dismissively at you, smugly assured that you are enjoying the opportunity to not get paid to sit here and revel in his "dank (for that is what he calls them)" memes, the memes he worked so hard for with personal trainers in the previous hours. And then the OP calls for another thread, and you know you could kill every single person on this board before the admin could put you down, but you sit there and endure, because you're the fucking janitor. You're not going to lose your future moderator career over this. Just bear it. Hide your face and bear it.
>>
File: 421421.jpg (68 KB, 936x702) Image search: [Google]
421421.jpg
68 KB, 936x702
High ground is a point of view, Anakin!
>>
>>63243673
>>63243705
But you can't cleave the Sheev in a lightsaber duel, because a lightsaber is a Jedi's weapon and he's above it. I'd argue Sheev is the one character who might be able to stalemate Obi-Wan in a duel where the surface is uneven.
>>
>>63245835
>>63245888
>>63246046
When Obi-Wan was angry and rushed Maul, he managed to damage his lightsaber, but he got his ass kicked and was knocked into the pit. He had to calm down like a proper jedi to win.
>>
File: Skeleton Laugh.jpg (175 KB, 777x800) Image search: [Google]
Skeleton Laugh.jpg
175 KB, 777x800
>>63243087
>>
File: [areyouevenbritish].jpg (49 KB, 464x444) Image search: [Google]
[areyouevenbritish].jpg
49 KB, 464x444
>>63246192

this thread is full of meme gold
>>
>>63243044
You guys don't understand Lucas' pottery.
It was never about the physical high ground, it's the moral high ground that matters most. When Windu came to arrest Sheev, the latter claimed "It's treason, then.", putting the Jedi on lower moral grounds. Obi wan won against Anakin because he was evil and had to be stopped. By the time Obi wan fought Vader, the former lost his moral high ground because he lied and deceived a lot of people by then.
Sheev also had the physical high ground over Vader in RotJ, but was still defeated because Vader was saving his son from being tortured.
>>
File: chadmahman.jpg (20 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
chadmahman.jpg
20 KB, 200x200
>>63243087
>>
>tfw the only prequel I've seen is The Phantom Menace

It was so dull that I couldn't bring myself to watch the other two.
>>
>>63254634
They're worth watching so you can appreciate the plinkett reviews
>>
>>63246192
>more powerful than he could have possibly imagined
This actually has meaning now
>>
>>63243044
only the light side can use the (moral) high ground. Is an allegory to a mythical reality that George hoped would have been looked up by our reality
Thread replies: 109
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.