[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do we save Conan?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 132
Thread images: 19
File: LAteNightRAtings.jpg (80 KB, 396x673) Image search: [Google]
LAteNightRAtings.jpg
80 KB, 396x673
How do we save Conan?
>>
>>63207280
Unless you want him to be a liberal mouthpiece, there is no other way.
>>
Get him off that shit fucking network for a start.
>>
>>63207280
I watch him online but I doubt that counts. He isnt on /tv/ where I live, they stopped showing american late night after Letterman retired.
>>
File: fat8_2.jpg (153 KB, 900x1350) Image search: [Google]
fat8_2.jpg
153 KB, 900x1350
>>63207280
Get Brendan on the show. Fuck, replace Andy with Brendan. Conan gets his ratings up, Brendan makes a comeback, and we love it. It's a win-win for everybody.
>>
graham norton would booty blast any of these hosts
>>
the Cone-Bone has a strong internet presence and his travel episodes are amazing.

He's doing fine. It's not his fault he's too partition for the brain dead plebians who watch Jimmy Fallon.
>>
Anyone else hate andy richter and think the show was much better without him?
>>
>>63207280
Get those who watch his clips online to buy cable, good luck.
>>
>>63207360
I think you mean patrician dum dum
>>
>>63207321
What does Brendan do?
>>
>>63207280
he has his own cult following, he's fine. he has the best skits out of any late night show
>>
>>63207280
>the worst host has the most viewers

just end my life
>>
>>63207360
>>63207303
>>63207289
/end thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7RE9_nmoLg
>>
I was really surprised that Conan had so few viewers. He seems to be one of the most recognizable, and his name gets thrown around way more than half the people above him
>>
>>63207321
Andy Richter the Swedish-German?
>>
>>63207280
How about we just execute all late night talk show hosts and send their entire production staff to the salt mines to work off their debt to society for poisoning our culture.
>>
>>63207418
This.
He's also the least pandering late night host.
Every other host tries to get their shit to go viral.
>>
>>63207415
Co Host.
>>
>>63207335
Why is it the English have the best format for talk shows?
Graham Norton and Johnathan Ross always keep the guests on with one another whereas American talk show host guests need to bolt after they've shilled whatever movie/TV show they're in.
>>
>>63207472
Based Norm
>>
>>63207498
I definitely think he is trying with all of those remote segments where he hangs out with celebrities and interacts with regular people. It doesn't come off as much as pandering when he does it but he is trying.
>>
dye his hair black, give him brown eyes and bar mitzvah him

no I'm serious, he'll never be as successful as the others since he's not a jew kekold like them
>>
>>63207535
That's because American talk show hosts make the whole show about promoting their guests' movies, whereas Graham is actually interested in his guests and digs up lots of stuff about them to make the show more interesting. Promoting their films is a very small part of the show.
>>
>>63207360
Fallon is fucking awful
>>
>>63207569
I'm sure even his staff and crew know that Conan is most fun to watch when he's doing remotes and fucking with people.
>>
He should play hide and seek with his guest.desu.senpai.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5G67KHkcn0
>>
>>63207447
delete this
>>
>>63207280
>299k
>more people watch pro counterstrike than conan
>>
>>63207365
Exact opposite. I think the back and forth between Conan and Andy, especially the improvised stuff is the best thing on late night.

There kind of in the wrong format. I'd like a Conan and Andy radio show.
>>
>>63207280
>Fallon the most popular

No justice in the world.
>>
File: 1391999206331.gif (988 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
1391999206331.gif
988 KB, 500x400
>it's a Jordan Schlansky bit
>>
>>63207535
It's truly the best but James Corden does this and he just doesn't make it work.
>>
>>63207280
>The only way to succeed in any industry is to pander to retards and casuals
God dammit I hate this planet.
>>
>>63207447
fuuuuuck
>>
>>63207569
He's always done stuff like that though. He was doing it in the early 90s.

This was from 97.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKpR-50iBlA
>>
>>63208152
>Implying Conan isn't doing that

Tip harder, faggot. Everything you like isn't automatically intellectual stuff, you fucking pleb faggot. I like Conan but he does pander to casuals and retards, he's just actually funny while he does it.
>>
>>63207535
Conan does it with some guests
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqeqsBQ0wq0
>>
fuck that gay priest
>>
>ywn be the light that brightens Sonia's life
Be still, my beating heart.
>>
I like Conan, but he's been on too long, he's old, he's tired, his style of off-beat comedy that used to be fresh has been done better by younger people on newer mediums, and his appeal to the geek/gamer/manchild crowd rings false and is cringeworthy.
>>
File: tu2a.jpg (7 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
tu2a.jpg
7 KB, 225x225
>>63207447
>>
tbs need conan more than conan needs tbs, as long as this holds, conan is fine.

tbs wanted to be the AMC of comedy, unfortunately none of their original programming has even gotten off the ground.
>>
File: craigyferg-TheLastOpen.jpg (72 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
craigyferg-TheLastOpen.jpg
72 KB, 1280x720
>tfw you want to go back to the time when late night tv mattered
>>
>>63207739
agree. hell, I watch their rehearsal (called Scraps on their site) and outtake, good time desu
>>
File: 1439453719047.jpg (18 KB, 466x270) Image search: [Google]
1439453719047.jpg
18 KB, 466x270
>>63209222
Why did everyone have to leave around the same time?
Conan is literally the only decent one left, I still can't believe the top late night hosts are fucking Jimmy Fallon, Colbert, Kimmel the Unfunny and 2015 guy
>>
>>63207447

What.

Fake laugh. What.
>>
>>63207280
We don't. He chose this. He could hve went on half hour later for a couple of years, but no he chose tbs
>>
File: MUbzryO.png (314 KB, 621x445) Image search: [Google]
MUbzryO.png
314 KB, 621x445
i liked the colbert report, but his new show isn't funny. i was watching it for the first time with someone that was new to him too, right after i hyped him, so it was especially uncomfortable.

he put on a darth vader mask and put lipstick on it as a joke about star wars licensed makeup.

get it? outrageous, right?
>>
>>63210899
I want to like him, but I don't. Not anymore. Last thing I remember is some stupid bit about getting yesterday's coffee tomorrow or some shit like that. I'm sure this was highly philosophical and just too deep for me but imho Colbert just became lame as shit. He's trying to hard in all the wrong ways.
>>
>>63210899
He literally relies solely on Trump jokes and went far left

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yzGA_glnkM
>>
>>63211084
Well, that's a healthy point of view for a fucking politician.

>we women need you to shut up because we don't value your opinions on Star Wars
>>
>>63207280
More Jordan Schlansky remotes.
>>
His show probably costs next to nothing to produce and also has a strong online presence, he is fine.
>>
conan lost when he let max weinberg leave
>>
>>63211270
The funny thing is that she only won re-election because her opponent happened to somehow be slightly more batshit insane than her.
>>
>>63207452
Didnt Leno screw conan like leno screw3d letterman?
>>
>>63207447
>not driving a porsche
COME ON PEOPLE ITS 2015
>>
>>63207280
If so few people watch these things what's the point? I've always wished they existed in Britain but I can see why they wouldn't bother. What numbers did Carson used to get?
>>
File: cavett.jpg (30 KB, 600x395) Image search: [Google]
cavett.jpg
30 KB, 600x395
who /dickcavett/ here?
>>
>>63211720
You cant compare Carsons era with today because the american late night market is saturated.
>>
>tfw you will never work for Conan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZI8QZ2WN-Xo
>>
>>63207447
Holy fuck that's bad. I'm proud to say I've never watched anything with Jimmy Fallon in it.
>>
>>63212153
why is sona so damn qt
>>
File: tomsnyder-splsh[1].jpg (18 KB, 500x250) Image search: [Google]
tomsnyder-splsh[1].jpg
18 KB, 500x250
>>63211761
i'm /tomsnyder/ over here
>>
>>63211761
>>63212322
Mah niggas
>>
>>63207289
>he thinks conan isn't a liberal mouthpiece
>>
>>63207447
HWUAH HWUAH HWUAH HWUAH
>>
>>63208407
this was worth watching for that "is it called 9 and a half seconds?" quip alone. fucking zez
>>
Conan is best.
regards
finlan
>>
>>63207280
eurofag here

all these shows look the same, how do you guys prefer one to another?
>>
File: parkinson_ali.jpg (80 KB, 634x466) Image search: [Google]
parkinson_ali.jpg
80 KB, 634x466
>>63211761
>>63212322

Snyder, Cavett and Parkinson.

The triforce of comfy talkshow hosts.
>>
>>63213031
The humor and target demo used to vary quite a bit between shoes. List two and I'll try to explain the difference.
>>
>>63213161
Okay, tell me about Kimmel and Fallon.
>>
>>63213031
Usually depends on what type of humor you prefer and what you value most in the format.

Conan = off-ball humor and great remote sketches

Letterman (in the past) = deadpan jokes and weird segments + great banter with Shaffer

Ferguson (in the past) = unconventional monologues and fantastic interviews

Leno (in the past) = traditional formatting / strongest part were his monologues

Fallon = reddit-humor / gimmicky segments aka SNL-lite

Colbert = liberal-humor / uncustomary late night formatting

Kimmel = decent monologues, very traditional
>>
>>63213213
Those are probably the two most similar (cop out on my half).

Kimmel is weird, because he really evolved as a comedian. He used to be on sports broadcasts, and had a show called the man show, which was a lot of male comedy. Then he tried to break in against Letterman and Leno in the early 2000s. He ended up going after the female audience, and had a bunch of tie ins to ABC shows the bachelor and dancing with the stars.

Fallon is more so friendly as opposed to funny. He does the least amount of jokes of any host, and does a bunch of interactive stuff with his guests. He really does well with a younger female audiencee.

Kimmel goes after a older audience a bit more, and he gets proportionately more male viewers.
>>
>>63207447
What a shame. Fallon is really talented comedian, it's sad to see him act like a puppet. Check this out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H39EOWMw1TA
>>
I hate people who think late night talk shows are supposed to be some sort of sacred bastion of quality humor and then shit on Jimmy Fallon for having the gall to run a non-offensive variety show instead of trying to be actually funny.

It's like hating Five Guys for not having a drive-through window like McDonald's does; you've completely missed the point.
>>
>>63213452
Except Jimmy Fallon does try to be funny. I can see how you could have missed that part though.
>>
>>63213464
I've only found him funny once, and that's when he spaghettied in front of Nicole Kidman
>>
Go back in time to when he first decided to get into comedy and tell him to be actually funny and not just SNL funny.
>>
>>63213452
The problem is, late night shows have naturally progressed to be more daring in terms of their content over the years.

In terms of talkshow content and hosting, Carson was the first to really shake things up, which in turn spawned Letterman's persona and style of comedy. Out of this, came Conan and his brand of kooky comedy. Ferguson was in a way, the last to really do anything different with the format.

All the while you had the more 'mainstream' guys, like Leno, Kilborn and Arsenio in the background during the '90s. Although the latter was quite revolutionary for black Americans and youths.

I guess after Conan and Ferguson, things seemed to have become more regressive, rather than progressive in terms of formatting and humor. Though I guess they really took a network lateshow as far as it could really go, given the constraints of network television.

Fallon just feels too much like the hosts you used to see on 50s gameshows with house wives.
>>
>>63213464
>Except Jimmy Fallon does try to be funny. I can see how you could have missed that part though.
He really doesn't. He tries to be congenial, not actually funny. He's a salesman, not a comedian.

He tried to be funny the first year of his Late Night show in 2009. Never did any games with guests, never did anything musical or appealing to Youtube, just tried to tell jokes straight-up and do humorous, non-sequitur sketches like the kind Conan used to do in the same spot. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKThXf5c6wY for an example of the kind of traditional late night humor that Fallon started off doing but will never, ever go near again for the rest of his career.

His producers quickly caught onto the fact that he was fucking terrible and made him stop. They shortened the fuck out of his monologue, started making him play more games with audience members to highlight his charm, and had him do more musical impressions because his Neil Young covers were popular and the Roots were good at that sorta thing.

Then they realized they could do all of that stuff with Jimmy and the celebrity guests and inadvertently stumbled into a gold mine. Now the monologue and the sketches behind the desk are completely secondary to whatever dumb shit he does in the interviews.
>>
>>63207535
Johnathan "praise grorious Nippon" Woss is pretty based too.
>>
>>63207280
More Clueless Gamer.
It's the only way to get those millenial shekels.
>>
>>63207335
Remember the Graham Norton Effect?
>>
>>63213671
And if they did that bit now, it'd be literally him playing actual head swap with his guests
>>
File: maxweinbertt.gif (117 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
maxweinbertt.gif
117 KB, 400x300
>>63207365
Max Weinberg was the funniest sidekick.
>>
>>63213770
Weinberg was the best. Joel the announcer was GOAT too.

In retrospect, Max's departure signaled the beginning of the end for Conan's career.
>>
>>63213609
>Fallon just feels too much like the hosts you used to see on 50s gameshows with house wives.

This is exactly why it's genius.

Late night talk show humor is the McDonald's of comedy. Pumping out 200 shows a year on a shoestring budget and trying to be consistently funny with them is an inhuman task, so the quality has always been low and relied on extremely topical humor that passed from relevance within weeks. But in the '80s, '90s, and even '00s, you didn't have many choices, especially late at night, so you would take it.

The internet has changed all of that. You can go on Youtube or 4chan or Netflix or whatever and find much higher quality comedy at any time you want. There's no reason to listen to Colbert make cracks about some Republican Presidential candidate we'll have all forgotten about by next year when you can go online and watch a Youtube video of any one of thousands of actual, high-quality stand up comedians performing their best material; even if it's years-old it doesn't really matter so long as it's new to you.

Fallon's producers lucked out in realizing he was shitty at telling jokes because it got them away from a dying business model. Nobody cares if a talk show host is funny anymore. They can go watch reruns of The Office on Netflix or read some dumb article on BuzzFeed and get more laughs out of that than they could out of the best possible Late Night show. But you can't get Adele playing Truth or Dare or Jennifer Lawrence having a dance-off or whatever anywhere else besides watching Fallon. That's actually rare and interesting, and that's why Jimmy's show is succeeding.
>>
>>63210899

Karl Pilkington would do well as a US chat host.

So long as there would be an unspoken rule he would not be too harsh on a guest's character, he could be fairly rude and not be a submissive suck up like the other hosts.
>>
>>63207452
Nearly everyone watches the show direct through Teamcoco, even youtube clips of the show rarely have less than 100,000 views each, domestic TV viewership is only a very small piece of the puzzle.
>>
>>63207280

My wife and I used to watch Conan for YEARS, and then he made the switch to TBS and he's been awful ever since.

They used to do pretty unique,. innovative sketches and pushed the envelope (just a little bit). But since the whole TBS thing, it feels more sterile and bland than Leno.
>>
File: image.jpg (21 KB, 480x306) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
21 KB, 480x306
>>63213770
>mfw his son is the Slipknot drummer
>>
>>63207472
"Well, I'm gonna know about it. Andy Richter the Swedish-German is going to know about it. And the fella that's gotta hold Andy down'll know about it!"

Put Norm on every talk show. He's seriously the greatest talk show guest in the entire world.
>>
>>63213982
And Max is Springsteen's drummer.
>>
>>63213893
All very good points, and quite true.

I guess it's just sad to see what has happened to the format / institution in way, but it was inevitable. I know Letterman's retirement has been seen as a huge deal, but I do really think it has signaled the end of an era.

I still remember how big of a deal it was when Letterman's stalker broke into his house, or when he made note of his affairs on-air. Even the whole Leno-Letterman / NBC-CBS war during the 90s, and Conan-Leno's scandal now seem so inconceivable in today's environment. Most of the hosts (excluding a few) have just been reduced to yes-men, and are so beige.
>>
>>63213893

Strangely on point comment for 4chan.

Upboated and subscribed.
>>
>>63214010
BURBY R WUZ BERN TO RERRRRRN
>>
>>63213213
Why do they wear the mask?
>>
eva gabor wasn't bad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxLOQLxie6w
>>
>>63214231
Born to Run is one of the few songs that make me burst into tears and I never know why. There's just something about that final chorus man
>>
Conan still gets a lot of respect from comedians. he would be better suited with an hbo show that features up and coming comics. kinda like what dangerfield did in the 80's.

he got fucking robbed for the tonight show and if anything, shouldve gotten the late show after letterman (it wouldve been funny)

I have no idea who thought going to TBS would be a prudent career move.
>>
>>63207498
His clueless gamer segments are very pandering senpai, but other than that he's fine.
>>
>>63216242
THIS. Also, bring him back to New York, Conan doesn't fully fit in with LA.
>>
>>63207970
Cordon is a hack with the personality of a shrivelled potato
>>
File: 1426858342702s.jpg (5 KB, 250x175) Image search: [Google]
1426858342702s.jpg
5 KB, 250x175
>>63207321
JUST
>>
File: saorise ronan.jpg (36 KB, 500x750) Image search: [Google]
saorise ronan.jpg
36 KB, 500x750
>>63207970
Sometimes it does.

>dat accent

hnnnnnggggg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0hi8RIkO7Y
>>
Conan is fully the maker of his own misfortune. He had the right time-slot and the right format in Late Night.

p.s. it would be just deserts and fitting if Leno's new CNBC show gets better ratings than Conan on TBS.
>>
>>63216888
They were also offering him a huge amount of money, more than Kimmel at the earlier time slot. But Conan insisted he was the best man for the mainstream audience of the Tonight Show and wouldn't settle for anything less. Everything he learned at the Harvard Lampoon told him he should be able to have anything he wants.
>>
>>63207447
Duchovny's face from about 1:05
>smirks sardonically in response to Fallon's sudden and ill timed outburst of 'laughter'
>looks at Fallon beating his fist on the table
>the fuck is this asshole beating his fist for?
>briefly glances at Fallon's face with an incredulous and detached air
>looks out to the middle distance as he realizes Fallon doesn't find him remotely funny, is putting it all on and is behaving like a complete media whore
>gently nods in tacit acceptance of this fact and furthermore in sad acceptance that this is what his life has come to: Navigating the spurious and vacuous world of celebrity, surrounded by speciously interesting media personalities who are in fact little more than empty husks with a remarkable talent for performing an endless string of duplicitous affectations
>eyes roll back to Fallon with smoky distain
>'yeah'
>turns to the audience with a smile and continues like a pro
>>
>>63217129
Seriously, he must be kicking himself every day for just not staying put.

The fact that he was able to make people feel sorry for him that nobody liked his show, and to blame Leno for it (a man who did literally nothing wrong, and had his own career curtailed by Conan) boggles the mind...
>>
>>63207280
pro tip. you cant. He has already given up on life and accepted his role on TBS basic cable. When he is doing interviews he just looks like he doesnt want to be there and wants to shoot himself. Ive never seen a good conan episode since he moved to TBS.
>>
>>63217162
Read this in Duchovny's voice
>>
>>63216888
except he wasn't heading Late Night anymore, he was heading The Tonight Show, with different bosses at NBC. and of course Leno will get better ratings. It's on CNBC.

>>63217194
he never blamed Leno. He blames the NBC executives that tried to keep Leno and push the Tonight Show back an hour to make room for a show about cars.
>>
File: noah_wilmore.jpg (226 KB, 620x412) Image search: [Google]
noah_wilmore.jpg
226 KB, 620x412
Conan is still beating the cratering Comedy Central shows.

When they're both fired it will obviously be due to racism.
>>
>>63207535
This used to be the way it was back in the old days.
>christ i am so fucking old
Even based Joe Franklin's guests would stay for the entire show.
>>
>>63217397
CNBC? Good ratings? What?
>>
>>63217450
better than TBS for the adult demo. Conan's ratings aren't Big Bang Theory territory. they aren't lighting up the network.
>>
>>63216476
pandering? he insults the games and gamers in every single one.
>>
File: 1448736736761.jpg (70 KB, 900x770) Image search: [Google]
1448736736761.jpg
70 KB, 900x770
>>63207321
>>
>its a conan meets animals episode
>>
File: conan.jpg (123 KB, 1045x701) Image search: [Google]
conan.jpg
123 KB, 1045x701
>>63217902
>>
>>63217960
>LET'S PUT A SMILE ON THAT FACE
>>
File: john daly.jpg (12 KB, 220x272) Image search: [Google]
john daly.jpg
12 KB, 220x272
this guy should have had his own talk show
>>
File: 1433927887200.png (822 KB, 525x809) Image search: [Google]
1433927887200.png
822 KB, 525x809
>>63217902
>it's a puppy Conan episode
>>
>henry kissinger's son works for Conaco, Conan's production company
we don't, we let it burn
>>
>>63208218
>It's not a show without the little fat dude
My sides
>>
>>63213675

>praise grorious Nippon

Context?
>>
>>63219983
he's a hardcore comics/toys/horror weeaboo, if you couldn't tell already...
>>
>>63211084
>ethics in gaming journalism
Yea, how about you stop pretending games are sexist just because they don't appeal to you, then we can stop talking about how SJWs have taken over journalism.
Thread replies: 132
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.