[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why did the 5th movie rule ass, but the 6th one sucked dick?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 8
File: ootp-us-jacket-art.jpg (201 KB, 938x1388) Image search: [Google]
ootp-us-jacket-art.jpg
201 KB, 938x1388
Why did the 5th movie rule ass, but the 6th one sucked dick?
Pic related, an adaptation done right.
>>
>Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
>didn't think it was relevant to explain the plot of the half blood prince in the film

bravo

the literal 1 thing you would need to do
>>
>>63185528
Because Harry Potter was easily one of the dullest franchise in the history of movie franchises. Each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the seriesüf only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody?just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for her books. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Christian (or not), but itüfs certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least the books are g-g-good though
"No!"
The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King
>>
>>63185914
lost
>>
File: 1448301859447.jpg (62 KB, 500x600) Image search: [Google]
1448301859447.jpg
62 KB, 500x600
It's amazing how, after seven books and eight movies, how forgettable JK's rowling franchise is, looking back at it.

Maybe the fact that she's refuses going back to the wizard world and invest her time on other things that don't take off might help.

Fuck, just write another motherfucking harry potter book with a new generation of wizards.
>>
Because book 5 is best in the series. It is pre whiny "i never asked for this" Harry, but shows what's coming. Book 6 is worst in the series. Not much happens and its gloomy exposition for the final book.
>>
>more than two movies in a series
how to know if a story is trash and bad
>>
what happened in harry potter? i only read the first 4 books
>>
>>63186225
Okay to summarize, with plenty of spoilers

>4th book
Cedric Diggory is killed, Voldemort is revived, Harry wins the Tournament and gives his 1,000 gold money to the George and Fred twins.
>5th book
Everybody refuses to believe Voldemort is back, calls Dumbledore and Harry a liar the whole time. Harry forms a little club that trains themselves in Defense Against Evil Dudes And The Spells They Use. Harry gets tricked, Sirius dies.
>6th Book
Snape finally gets to teach Defense Against Dark Guys class. There's a new Potions teacher who liked Harry's mom so he gives Harry special treatment. Malfoy is made a Death Biter, is given the task to kill Dumbledore. Snape kills Dumbledore at the end of the book.
>Book 7
Harry totally kills Voldemort and Ron finally fucks Hermione
>>
>>63185528

They cut out too much of the point of Half Blood Prince.

There was a ton of red herring shit in the book implying Voldemort was the Half Blood Prince, then you find out Snape's mother's last name was Prince or some shit.

The movie pisses this all away for Snape just declaring that shit out of nowhere.

Hell I am not even sure the movies ever mention that Voldemort has a half blood.
>>
Order of the Pheonix was the worst adaptation imo.

Half Blood Prince and Deathly Hallows 1 are my favorite. They have a comfy winter atmosphere more so than the other ones
>>
>>63186062

Better yet, let some others to authorized expanded universe shit like every other Fantasy and SciFi series.
>>
>>63186417
I liked that Snape, Harry, Dumbledore and Voldemort were all half-blood.
>>
>>63186351

> Book 7

You forgot the part where 75% of that 1000 page tomb is the most boring and uneventful camping trip ever.

Fuck I hate the Deathly Hallows.

The other 25% is pretty based but the majority of it is such pointless bull shit padding.
>>
order of the phoenix is the low point in both the books and films
>>
>>63186512
6th is my favorite book, because she just tried to make it another comfortable Hogwarts experience, knowing they'd be out on the run in the 7th.
5th/7th are equal to me. Plenty of backstory and angst, they're frustrating to read, I like that.

6 > 7 = 5 > 4 > 3 > 1 > 2
>>
>>63186406
I would say that les misérable and the count of Monte Cristo are nothing compare to In Search of Lost Time and Journey to the End of the Night but I understood that you got to be French to appreciate it. Reading translated novel is often a mistake.
>>
>>63186160
Nigga 5 is the worst, it's too long and lacks focus, plus it doesn't even have a mindfuck twist at the end like you expect from HP, just a lot of boring exposition about prophecies and shit. 6 is great because while not much happens until the end, exploring Voldemort's backstory was cool and interesting, and when shit did start to happen it sure did fucking happen. Also it had a great twist about the Half Blood Prince's identity, although it was more of a footnote to the bigger shock of Snape killing Dumbledore.

>>63186351
I think Slughorn giving Harry special treatment was more because he's famous than because of his mom, but I guess that was part of it too.
>>
>>63186406

> Gatsby and Meme Rand

This shitty bait is literally the best /lit/ can do.
>>
>>63186519
I loved Order of the Phoenix (book) for all the crazy pranks Fred and George get up to fighting against Umbridge. That's mostly what I remember. And it's climax was pretty intense.

4>5=6>7>1>3>2
>>
I just wish Tonks and Lupus would have gotten more screen time in the movies.
>>
>the 6th one sucked dick

Nigga what the fuck it was the best HP film of the saga (best film, not best adaptation). Awesome cinematography and atmosphere.
>>
>>63186417
I'm pretty sure the Prisoner of Azkaban one failed to explain who Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot and Prongs were. Sometimes I think the movie series is okay as a complement to the books, but it must seem incoherent to someone who's only seen the movies.
>>
>>63186406
Literally every book in the shit tier row is good if you're not a pretentious cunt.
>>
>>63186764

Yeah, I had read all the books before the movies and I sometimes wonder if they actually work at all without all that extra background.

The movies really feel like cliff notes versions of the books.

Only the first one really matches closely. The second one started really cutting stuff like the party with the Ghosts.
>>
>>63186764
I sometimes wish I could get the entire story just from the movies, having not read the books. We fill in a lot of the stuff ourselves that we can't help.
>>
>>63186406
>books have been around so much longer
>there's only like 5 books worth reading in a persons life time
>>
Remember the old /tv/ meme about americans clapping?
This is like, some foreign movie, and they're always clapping for Harry all the time. At the breakfast tables, in the house room, when he enters pubs.
>>
>>63185528
when the 6th movie was being made waht was the most popular movie around that time? twilight.

they tried to make the movie more like twilight and less like the previous movies/book.

>tfw your favorite book of the series is the worst movie of the bunch :(
>>
>>63185914
Bad pasta
>>
the less time spent away from hogwarts the shittier the movie is

half blood prince and DH part 1 are barely in hogwarts
>>
>>63185528

The 6th film tried to cram the entire 6th book, which is one of the more detailed ones, into too short a span. It honestly should have been two parts as well.

Another issue was the dialogue was copy/pasted directly from the book and it feels pretty damn unnatural.
>>
>>63188508
>Harry on Felix Felicis whatever
>Ron winning Quidditch
>Ron macking on Lavender
5 spent more time at the wizengamot hearing than HBP movie did going to fetch the locket
>>
>>63186406

>Dune
>shit tier

Pick one.
>>
>Hermione kept her maiden name after marrying Ron
BTFO
>>
>>63188828
The love potion he used wasn't quite strong enough
>>
File: harry-gay.jpg (39 KB, 450x299) Image search: [Google]
harry-gay.jpg
39 KB, 450x299
>>
>>63186406
>god tier
>one book that is only popular because american high schools teach it
>one babby's first philosophy
>one snorefest for franceboos
>one meme book for fedorafags
>three actually good novels
>>
>>63185528
The best book (only good in hindsight) was the best movie?
You don't say.
>>
File: 1340480298669.jpg (119 KB, 450x1523) Image search: [Google]
1340480298669.jpg
119 KB, 450x1523
>>63190376
did you make this?
>>
>>63186160
>Not much happens and its gloomy exposition for the final book.
And maybe it would have worked if the final book stuck to the horcrux plot but they had to throw in that wizard bedtime story bullshit in there too.

Oh Harry it turns out that invisibility cloak is actually one of a kind and no one's ever mentioned this before.
>>
>>63190450
>Oh Harry it turns out that invisibility cloak is actually one of a kind and no one's ever mentioned this before.

>people who know about the cloak
Seriious
Dumbladerore
Harry Potter
Hermony Granger
Ronald Wesley

but his cape had never detrimenteded. That is how we know. Other cloaks age with age, they age unlike harry's. You should know that. it's a cloak with a charm attached that fades
>>
>>63190416
the fuck are you talking about?
>>
i didn't like order of the phoenix because the whole "student revolution against evil totalitarian government" angle is so overdone, plus dumbledore is such an asshole and harry is always grunting.
i felt like half-blood prince was a nice breather from all the drama in goblet and order, before dr. lazarus kills dumbly
>>
>>63190524
>>people who know about the cloak
You forgot a few

>Everyone who was ever called Potter or Peverell
>Hagrid
>Draco Malfoy
>Remus Lupin
>Severus Snape
>Griphook
>Luna Lovegood
>Amycus Carrow
>Professor McGonagall
>Barty Croush Jr.
>Professor Moody

I'm sure there were more that I'm forgetting, and that's just the people who saw it or we know were definitely told about it. Dumbledore would have been stupid not to tell the members of the Order of the Phoenix that guarded him over the summer that he had one and could use it to escape.
>>
>>63185914
Every.

Fucking.

Thread.
>>
>>63190684
>hagrid
>lupin
>snape
>Luna
>Professor Moody
The last one ended up being kissed by a dementor in book 4 very soon after

The rest? Yeah Snape knew about his invisibility cloak. That doesn't make it bad. Mundugus Fletcher and Moody both mention that their cloaks become ragged, they need etter dissillusionment charms.
but Malfoy? He doesn't know about the cloak ever. he just see's harry's head and runs.
Lupin? Of course. "The number of times I saw James disapppear under that cloak."
Griphook - His fucking goblin mind is only on the sword. A sword that appears to the rightful owner when called upon. That should show how wrong that Gripdick can be.

>Carrow
bullllshiiiiit one fucking scene ever.
>>
I always disliked how disjointed the individual movies/books are.
>During the entire first year no one talks about blood purity, after the second it's literally the main theme of the whole story.
>Sirius Black is rescued, this changes nothing, he does nothing for three years, then dies for nothing
>Dumbledore kills himself just to save the innocence of one shitty kid, his death throws the entire magic world into chaos and gets many other truly decent people killed
>Year three, Harry turns out to be pretty kickass at magic when he actually tries. He never actually tries again despite having more pressure than anyone else. Relies solely on disarming and semen deer.
>Jizz ungulate spell is supposed to be really difficult, he can cast it no problem. One year later he struggles with a simple summoning spell. It's basic fucking telekinesis that literally everyone else does no problem.
>>
>>63190835
>During the entire first year no one talks about blood purity

Actually, Malfoy tells Harry in the book when they meet in Diagon Alley that he is disgusted that they allow people from muggle families at Hogwarts.
>>
>>63190684
>>63190798
All the Death Eaters know about the cloak, they try and summon it off Harry in Hogsmeade in 7
>>
The 6th movie was rushed and kind of weird, but it made only one truly unforgivable sin in my eyes. Snape quitely told Harry that he was the prince. He was supposed to be furious and yelling. I wanted to see Alan Rickman screaming at Harry so badly, but no, David Yates had to be a moron.
>>
>>63190912
It's a very good cloak. It would work for any of them the same way.
>>
>>63191032
Snape was mad as fuck throughout the whole series, yet rickman never raised his voice above a whisper
>>
>>63190910
Doesn't talk about blood though, but that's just arguing semantics, you're right, forgot about that.
>>
>>63185528
>longest book in the series
>shortest film in the series

Hahaha, no, the 5th movie sucked donkey dick, anon.
>>
>>63186062
It will be the new Lord of the Rings of the next generations, while the original LotR will be forgotten and bastardized the way Dracula is nowadays.

Seriously, go read Dracula. It easily predates many "modern" works having a tightly group of heroes facing evil, complete with emotional bonds to each other.
>>
>>63186417
Also, the 6th movie lost points with me before I even saw it, because the Director said in an interview "Yeah, book 6 had an epic fight scene at the end, but we cut all that shit out of the movie because we were going to do a climatic fight scene at the end of the film(s) for book 7 anyway"

FUCK you, that's not how adaptions work!
>>
>>63186450
>wanting to bloat a franchise with fan-fiction from hundreds of different authors with different ideas of how the world should be.

God Bless Christopher Tolkien for protecting LOTR, The Hobbit, and the Silmarillion.
>>
>>63191291
I always thought Dracula read like a DnD story.
A group of everyday people meet up to avenge the death of their friend and fight an ancient evil undead, yeah I see it.
Was pretty good, needed more action. Iirc the climax sucked, they pretty much pull him out of his coffin in the middle of the day on the open road and stabbed him to death. Anticlimactic.
>>
>>63191549
At least you actually read the book. I can respect that opinion, anon. Still would be nice to see at least ONE adaption that's closer to the source. But since Anne Rice vampires have to be sexy and erotic, so we won't see any of that. Although Vampires have always been a sexual metaphor, it was actually a different one than they are today

>mfw Dracula biting Mina Harker at the end of the book is treated as completely unerotic and unromantic rape
>mfw every fucking adaption has Mina Harker and Dracula fall in love with each other.

>mfw in the books Vampires were a sexual metaphor like
>>
>>63186160
mah nigga. OFTP is the best and most underrated book/film
>>
>>63192085
Harry Potter and the Order For the Penis is also my favorite Harry Potter movie!
>>
>>63185914
You didn't even post the picture.

Your life is an embarrassment.
>>
>>63191678
>have always been a sexual metaphor
Only in the last few hundred years.
I hate how everything is sexualized though. I miss classic gothic horror played straight.
>>
>>63191522
but rowlings is alive
surely she can fetter out a select group of writers she trusts to not fuck the world up and let them expand the series
>>
>>63192626
How do you even find a select group of authors who are as attentive to the lore as Rowling?

Rowling would be stuck reading and approving/rejecting drafts.

Rowling actually needs to set down a compendium of the universe so the authors don't fuck up. But she hasn't and instead is making that clunky pottermore website.
>>
>>63192626
>>63191522

Yes, Rowling selected authors plus a strict set of rules.

There are so many other stories to be told of minor places and characters.
>>
>>63190835
>He never actually tries again despite having more pressure than anyone else. Relies solely on disarming and semen deer.

He spent the 4th, 5th and 6th books practicing various battle spells and was the best in his defence against the arts class, even better than Hermione.
>>
>>63185528
>Order of the Phoenix
>Good

Yeah dude. A movie that was nothing but a giant dick stroking contest about Test Scoring in schools was totally a great adaption.
>>
> Story about magic and wizard> Like 12 different spells cast in the entire series, half of which are forbidden curses

B R A V O
R
A
V
O
>>
>>63193022
yet almost every battle was reduced down to
ima disarm you and or stupefy you
no ima kill you
pew pew pew
>>
>>63193022
And then promptly forgets about that and uses the same spell he's been using since year two when he's faced with Death Eaters or a fully-resurrected Voldemort.
>>
>>63185993
>>63188468
>>63192478

He's right tho
>>
>>63193104
How many fantasy books did you actually read? Harry Potter has a serious abundance of spells and magic use compared to most books about magic. Look at LotR. Gandalf was a fucking noob compared to every wizard in HP.

>>63193142
It's not just him. Even the Death Eaters mostly used Stunners or other common spells that Harry knew by 4th year. Harry had actually cast more curses than any other wizard in the series, even Voldemort.

>>63193203
Yeah that was dumb, no excuse for it. He should have used Sectumsempra, it would have been pottery.
>>
File: 1448757894177.jpg (1 MB, 1602x2896) Image search: [Google]
1448757894177.jpg
1 MB, 1602x2896
>>63185914
pretty much exactly this
>>
>>63193358
Did /lit/ do this?

>No Borges
>No Cortázar
>>
>>63193358
>Atlas Shrugged
>Good
>"This statue is so beautiful, it changed me from a communist to a capitalist!"
>Topkek
>>
>>63190835
Dumbledore was dying anyways you know.

Voldemort's curse only gave him like one more year of life.
>>
>>63193270
>It's not just him. Even the Death Eaters mostly used Stunners or other common spells that Harry knew by 4th year. Harry had actually cast more curses than any other wizard in the series, even Voldemort.
well sure
but it would have been nice to see all that he has learned applied to the battles
imagine harrys skill actually growing to the point where in the seventh book he was a legitimate threat to the deatheaters rather then just another wizard shooting disarming spells
>>
>>63185528
>wizards travelling in form of a sand

what the fucking fuck it ruined the whole movie for me
>>
File: genewolfe.jpg (291 KB, 799x594) Image search: [Google]
genewolfe.jpg
291 KB, 799x594
>tfw Gene Wolfe will never remake the HP book series and actually make it good
>>
>>63193861
>Harry had actually cast more curses than any other wizard in the series, even Voldemort.

No shit, Sherlock, we're following his perspective for the most part. We're not "live" there all these time Voldy murdered most muggles most maliciously.
>>
>>63193358
>Great Gatsby and Atlas Shrugged in god tier
>Alice in Wonderland not in god tier

what are you doing
>>
File: 1409896630221.png (38 KB, 302x300) Image search: [Google]
1409896630221.png
38 KB, 302x300
>>63193358
>being so stupid as to simultaneously like both Atlas Shrugged and The Great Gatsby
>>
>>63194094
He can't answer you, he's too busy reading through the latest Sword of Truth book. That would take an intelligent person two weeks (he'd have to stop every page in order to facepalm a couple of times), so he'll probably need two or three months.

Actually, since he's probably busy jerking off to Richard's speeches, ejaculating at least once a page, let's just say I don't expect him back for a couple of years, minimum.
>>
>>63190835
That's mostly due to Rowling writing by the seat of her ass.
If she actually planned out a few basic concepts to interweave throughout the series, the books would be high tier.
As it stands, she's just damn good at making interesting and engaging, yet ultimately filmsy entertainment.

She should have pulled a Butcher when she realised how successful she was getting and how far she realised she could take it.
>>
>>63194539
>pulled a Butcher

Are you talking about DF? what do you mean by this?
>>
>>63194539
She did plan, however she only planned her plot coupons and probably had the "now quickly fill in these parts of the book so I can get to the good bits" mentality most new writers have.
>>
>>63194206
What's the matter, are you too blinded by your hatred of moral clarity to appreciate the chicken that was no chicken?
>>
>>63193692
>one more year of life
And how long did it take after Dumbledore's death for Harry to finish? How much easier or faster could it have gone with even a little bit of help, advice, instruction, direction?
>>
>>63194595
After book 2 when he started getting successful, he started planning concepts around 6 books in advance.
He also identified all the bits in the books that were shit/inconsistent and wrote them in rather than just ignoring them.

Rowling clearly never truly stepped back and figured out how she was going to pave the way for some of the later plot points, and tended to just ignore the early inconsistencies unless it got really blatant.
>>
>>63194708
Pretty sure he was dying when they arrived back at the tower. Voldemort's potion seemed to have been the last straw.

Plus his death was necessary to keep the elder wand out of Voldemort's hands, so that was needed also.
>>
>>63194708
Dumbledore's behaviour towards Harry his whole life is pretty inexplicable unless he's secretly evil but someone's watching him so he has to at least appear to be helping him.
>>
>>63194612
You're right, and let's not forget the GREAT WHITE MAN teaching the filthy native tribe how to make bricks out of the very mud their whole land is covered in. Filthy Mud People! No, seriously, that's actually their name, "Mud People".
>>
>>63194840
I'm glad you saw reason and spared yourself the rape pit.
>>
>>63194745
Jim Butcher is such an intelligent fellow! I've been writing for my own enjoyment for nearly 20 years by now, but I've still learned a ton of stuff from his live journal!
>>
File: 1398791797792.jpg (68 KB, 630x417) Image search: [Google]
1398791797792.jpg
68 KB, 630x417
>>63194946
I'm not sure what I'll find there, and given some of the stuff that leaks into his books I frankly don't want to.
>>
>>63194917
I got to "Pillars of Creation" and finished that. I was too bored of the series by then to get further than a chapter or two into "Naked Empire", even though I knew it was the one where Richard slaughters the evil pacifists. Was the part with the rape bit (I assume you mean Kahlan threatening to throw her sister into the pit unless she agrees to have her kingdom anexed by Richard) before or after ?
>>
5 was a sterile piece of shit devoid of any charm the last 4 films had.
>>
>>63195012
It was before. Books 2 and 4, as I recall
>>
>>63195102
The most I remember about book 2 was "You can do magic, we're teachers from religious hogwarts. If you don't come with us we have to set ourselfs on fire one after the other", and Richard is just "Bitches be crazy", but at the end, after two of the sisters killed themselfs said "lol ok I'll come, but under protest"; even though his Gift would kill him if he didn't come. He-Bitch is crazy!

On the other hand I really have a morbid soft spot for the books where it's explained that the fantasy Jews fabricated the fantasy Holocaust after the fantasy Germans brought civilization to their barbarian ways in order to dictate them, and that fantasy Bill Clinton (of whom even the author admitted is an outright parody of Bill Clinton) died of fantasy AIDS.
>>
>>63195272
I just love the fact that he claims to be above pleb fantasy writers, yet engages in the most hilariously transparent wish fulfilment and Rand tier author tracts
>>
>>63193440
It's a Quentin image
>>
>>63195402
Yes, it wouldn't be half so hillarious if the author wasn't such a complete idiot.
>>
>>63195450
yeah, he's a fucking goldmine
http://cgi1.usatoday.com/mchat/20030805003/tscript.htm
>>
>Overland Park, KS: How many more books will there be in the Sword Of Truth series?
>
>Terry Goodkind: The answer to that is there will be one less than too many

So I guess he's fine with books that are "pretty good but not as good as his former stuff", "meh" or "bad but tollerable since it's so horribly funny" in the eyes of his fans...
>>
>>63186351
>Death Biter

kekked
Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.