[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So we can all agree this show is far superior to Game of Thrones,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 5
So we can all agree this show is far superior to Game of Thrones, right?
>>
yes

although now athelstan is gone maybe not
>>
>>63183415
ahahahahah
1st season was kinda ok but the rest is just shitfest
I'm not even GoTfag
>>
>tfw no shieldmaiden waifu
>>
Neither are good
>>
>>63183415
The Last Kingdom is superior.
>>
>>63183444
Season 2 is great, you pleb.
>>
>>63183415

>female warrior vikings

Into the bin it goes
>>
>>63183503
They existed back then, they just were not the pretty ones and there were only a couple.
Also they were not nearly as tough as the mens
>>
>>63183503
Shield-maidens existed you fucking idiot

Granted, they weren't as pretty as the ones in the show, but real life male vikings also weren't as handsome as the ones in the show either so whatever
>>
I'd reckon it might not be such a comparison as apples to oranges, but certainly at least like red delicious apples vs granny smiths.

I enjoyed both shows. They've both got glaring flaws, depending on how strict you are on your "grading" system. They're also both highly enjoyable for people with certain interests, at least.

I'm rather picky on writing style, so I've not read the books out of fear that I'd hate them. Seen the horrific pictures of G.R.R.'s worst. But GoT has a much larger universe and far more world-building going on. Battle scenes are quite rare, especially compared to Vikings. Not saying Vikings is only action, by any means.

So people that are very interested in an extremely large world with dense lore will most likely prefer GoT.

I found that the battle scenes in Vikings were very well done, although tee bee aich I was pretty fucking drunk while watching the second half of S3, so I can't recall everything vividly. So people that enjoy conflict being filmed would probably prefer Vikings.

I'd say outside of a vague "dark-middle age" setting and the presence of conflict, the shows don't have THAT much in common. It's mostly just aesthetic.

Although from what I remember, Vikings decreased in quality far less than GoT. Some of the recent seasons in GoT have had my jaw agape with how awful the writing is.
>>
>perpetuates the cliché that vikings were anything more than pirates and looters
>>>/trash/
>>
>better than GoT

That's not saying much at all
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ny9Fmx-rUKQ

True Viking movie coming through
>>
>>63183562
>>63183543
Shield Maidens were BARELY even a thing, and they didn't join the men on raids and battles, they stayed at home protecting shit while the men went out.

Acting like they were a regular part of the Viking armies is a joke.
>>
What year did vikings develop the horned helmet?
I assume it must be later than the series is set?
>>
>" Franzen, 43, will portray King Harald Finehair, a Scandinavian warrior and potential threat to Ragnar (Travis Fimmel), while Paakkonen, 34, is set to take on the role of Halfdan the Black, Finehair's younger brother. Doan, on the other hand, will portray Yidu, a new and unique Chinese character who will have a big role in upcoming installment"

>Doan, on the other hand, will portray Yidu, a new and unique Chinese character who will have a big role in upcoming installment"

> a new and unique Chinese character who will have a big role in upcoming installment"

FUCKING DROPPED. If they want diversity atleast make it an Arab or something so it atleast kind of makes sense. You just know this asian will be Original the character
>>
>>63183415

No. GoTs is better but this show is criminally underrated. One of the best shows that almost no one talks about and no TV critical champions enough.

If a TV critic had real balls they would bring up this show as deserving when Emmy time comes around.
>>
File: bale.jpg (13 KB, 236x235) Image search: [Google]
bale.jpg
13 KB, 236x235
>>63183666
hmmm, this actually looks pretty damn good. what's it called in english?
>>
>>63183666
do Russhits consider themselves vikings?
>>
vikings was good until the whole wanderer guy shows up and magic starts to pop up. i could almost tolerate the seer guy but anything more than that makes it kinda lame
>>
>>63183950
(The) Viking
>>
>>63183415
Yes, but don't try to have a thread about the show. You'll attract oblivious underage fedoras like these idiots >>63183704 >>63183873
Talk to a friend instead.
>>
>>63184018
This

maybe I missed something but the scene felt like completely pointless filler to me
>>
>>63183415
It's a little bit less historically accurate but pretty much yes.
>>
>>63183873
>fucking finnish mongols
>>
Jarl Borg did nothing wrong, the show dipped hard in quality after he died
>>
>>63184056
>>63184018

They are trying to be accurate to the written history.

Also Icelandic people believe this shit. Not just a few crackpots but all of them.
I spent some time there a few years back and was amazed that even atheists there believed in gnomes living under rocks.
>>
>>63183666
I thought this will be The Last Kingdom trailer - the superior Viking show

>>63184002
Vikings did create the russian state
>>
>>63183415
nope

GoT has way more and better characters
also better adventure

Vikings is more raw action
>>
I watched it until they returned from the raid on the monastery and then dropped it.

It was pretty bad, I like vikings but there is really nothing good about this show.

Besides the show being rather bad I noticed what I felt like were really obvious "here is where the commercial goes" spots

Does it get better later on?
>>
I really like the show, but as someone who actually lives in Scandinavia the geographical errors trigger my autism. There are no fjords around Kattegat. Haithabu was not surrounded by steep hills (because southern Jutland is flat as fuck). And there are no fucking mountains anywhere near the actual location of the temple at Old Uppsala.
>>
>>63183415
The 1st season of Vikings is better than GOT 2-5. The 2nd season of Vikings is better than or equal to GOT 2-5, but worst than season 1 GOT, until the most recent season of each, which were both pretty weak, but the worst season of Vikings is still better than the 5th season of GOT, which was terrible. So yes, I agree
>>
>>63184002
You're talking about two things that have nothing to do with each other. It's like asking if Inuit consider themselves Matadors.
>>
The Last Kingdom >= Season 2 Vikings > Season 1>Season 3
>>
>>63184068
Are you saying it's less historically accurate than GOT ? I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt, just know there are people on the internet who actually think that.
>>
>>63185188
Is The Last Kingdom actually good?

From the trailer footage it looked like they horribly miscast their lead
>>
>>63185211
I read the books and i think it goes great. First episode is rushed to bring you up to date but then the pace is fine
>>
>>63185223
>First episode is rushed to bring you up to date but then the pace is fine

This. The characters grow on you really well. Leofric is best.
>>
>>63184947
I feel your pain every time I watch a movie that shows Bogota as a tin shack village in the middle of the jungle
>>
Op is a nigger.
>>
File: flokiStarbootsale.png (243 KB, 570x420) Image search: [Google]
flokiStarbootsale.png
243 KB, 570x420
Only good character in the show and 100%fictional.
Pretty sure we're gonna see Floki in Season 5 or 6 guiding or messing with Ragnar's grandchildren
>>
>>63183415
You are aware that GoT is only fantasy show with big budget ever made?

Its only fantasy show ever made that is not for kids or some cringeworhty cheap crap.

I really enjoy Vikings, but only an idiot would shit on GoT and what GoT did for TV in general.

Also, you really cant compare those 2. One is fictional history with changed facts so its actually watcheable, and another is book adaptation that would require Trillion dollars to convert properly. Fact that they even dared to go there is a huge step forward for TV.

Check TV a little, shows like Last Kingdom, Bastard Executioner , In the Bedlands and the rest are
turning up like mushrooms after rain(truth be told, they all suck really bad, but actually people are making effort to make this genre(fantasy,steampunk( ~Penny Dreadful = actually great horror Victorian steamy punk with elements of fantasy), god forbid mature cyberpunk(~Mr.Robot) watchable and actually even considered while giving money for pilots).

What the fuck do you want from it, fucking GoT is filmed in 6 countries, its logistical nightmare and it actually looks better than most fantasy movies ever made(let LOTR out of it)
>>
>>63183415
The Last Kingdom > Vikings > Game of Thrones
>>
>>63185188
DESTINY IS ALL NIGGA
>>
>>63183573
>got
> world building

> Vikings
>actual fucking world.

wtf
>>
>>63185493
The Last Kingdom does not 'suck really bad' you big fat nigger.
>>
>>63183574
yes, you should go there.
>>
>>63185493
GoT really lost in quality after Book 3. I don't know exactly where that transfers in the show, but at some point it lost pretty much all that made it unique in the fantasy genre. That was GRRM talent to write about geopolitics and bigger scale events, book 1-3 were descripting a war and the important actors in them, after that it's just your usual fantasy novel with group or parties of people (usually of unlikely duos) wandering the world for various reasons. From one book to the other, the political world changed its level of complexity entirely. If the world depicted by GRRM was real, new actors would appear on the political scene, as many as there were from Book 1, but GRRM can't do that, because otherwise it would never finish. He is know simplifying everything in order to finish the story, but that doesn't make grace at all to the setting he had established initially.
>>
>>63184018
it's part of their history and culture.

the show is about the history and culture of the Vikings. told in dramatic fashion centered around a nigh mythical character, it jumps around the timeline events that took place hundreds of years apart what do you expect.

for people who are interested in the culture of these people it creates an interesting visual and thematic interpretation of an almost unknown religion and its practises.

so fuck off
>>
>>63184002

Just google the Kievan Rus m8
>>
>>63183873
it's well known the vikings ranged pretty far- even hiring themselves as bodyguards for asian lords and merchants.
>>
>>63183415
no it is bad in every aspect and even with minimal knowledge about culture and religion about vikings should vomit at this forgettable piece. It rides got wave in every aspect possible
>>
both are SJW cancer
>>
>>63183802
>the horned helmet
I heard it is a hoax lad
>>
>>63184002
Kiev, Ukraine was founded before Russia.
Kii which is supposedly founder of Kiev along his family usually is show in a viking like boat. Somewhere ages ago I read that they were related more to germanic tribes that traveled to Kiev area rather then vikings. However it is well know that Kiev was one of the big centers for viking trade.
Russia wasn't even established back then.
>>
it has its trashy moments and its peak ones, got is going down faster, as far as i know few tv scenes depicted the loss of a friend as good as when ragnar talks in the forest, crying, that was 10/10 acting and i am sorry to see the actor taking shit like the warcraft movie
>>
>>63185293
RIP
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.