[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's tv's consensus? I kinda liked it.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 9
File: american-hustler.jpg (414 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
american-hustler.jpg
414 KB, 1200x800
What's tv's consensus? I kinda liked it.
>>
I think it was pretty good

8/10
>>
>>63178471
i thought it was a huge waste of time.
>>
Trying way too hard for iconic moments and memorable characters. Instead turned out utterly forgettable and unoriginal. And to no one's surprise, the Oscars nominated it. Baka daysoo indeed
>>
File: Jennifer-Lawrence 412.jpg (841 KB, 2000x3000) Image search: [Google]
Jennifer-Lawrence 412.jpg
841 KB, 2000x3000
Tried to hard. David Russell should stick to making movies he actually likes instead of pandering to the Academy.
>>
I Watched it recently and it felt like it was out of date by deacdades.
>>
>>63178541
>that hair on the indian head
JUST
>>
It was a good movie, a bit idiosyncratic and mad, but entertaining. Soundtrack was too intrusive though.
>>
File: 1435488380609.gif (2 MB, 280x296) Image search: [Google]
1435488380609.gif
2 MB, 280x296
Taking the cast, production value, and length of the movie all into account

it was top 3 worst movies I've ever seen.

Absofuckingloutely disgusting.

The most convincing character was Renner and he acted like a fucking cartoon.

It was like an SNL skit of a Scorsese movie. Not to mention that retard Lawrence was "acting" in it too.

I could go on. It's so awful.
>>
>>63178547
That was kind of the point. Kind of like what remakes of 70's horrors have tried to emulate.
>>
I loved Jennifer Lawrence going in and out of her horrible accent. Really professional.
>>
>hating on based Russell ITT

Hello Reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/3urqem/jennifer_lawrence_says_shell_keep_working_with/
>>
>>63178596
While i agree with Renner (whos always never good), i think some of the other roles were good.

Notice how people hate Scarface AND this?

Theres a reason why theatrical camp isn't popular with Americans.
>>
>>63178764
How can anyone hate Scarface?
>>
>>63178764
>people hate Scarface
u wot
>>
File: 1409666578681.jpg (90 KB, 739x742) Image search: [Google]
1409666578681.jpg
90 KB, 739x742
>>63178775
>>63178781
>>
File: shyamalan-newsweek-cover.jpg (40 KB, 425x568) Image search: [Google]
shyamalan-newsweek-cover.jpg
40 KB, 425x568
>>63178596

I feel Russel tries to imitate Scorsese except when Scorsese shoots scenes all the shots have a purpose so it doesn't feel like your watching a movie. Where as Russel it's director wankery as if he is saying look at me I'm a director.

I think it's another M Night Shamalandingdong syndrome case where he directed an unexpected great movie and is now dying off his own hype of himself.
>>
>>63178775
>>63178781
because its "for niggers"
>>
>>63178764
>Notice how people hate Scarface
No. American Hustle is feces and unrelated to Scarface. Whatever AH set out to do, it failed.

>>63178701
spotted the redditor

>>63178814
no bait is that eloquently retarded
>>
>>63178775
While I enjoy many elements of the film-making, I've grown to thoroughly dislike this film, and believe it to be a spectacular failure, for this reason:

I've never seen a movie that hewed so closely to the format of an American Tragedy (rising into the Sun of the American dream before, mad from hubris, burning up like Icarus) that lacked sorrow so completely that not even having its anti-hero die from a thousand bullet wounds is enough to dissuade ten-million gangster wannabes from hanging the Scarface movie poster in their crib and copying Pacino's shitty accent while they strut about dreaming of themselves enjoying the life of lurid excess and violence that the movie's central character experienced.

What, in the hands of any other director, would have been, at least on some effective level, a "cautionary tale" (or at the very least an indictment of the audience for their adoration and desired emulation) is instead, thanks to De Palma, a ceaselessly pop-entertaining romantic glorification of a horrific world. No audience member ever dreams of growing up to be Pacino's Michael Corleone from The Godfather...but there are millions who want to be his Tony Montana. They just imagine they'd play the final cards a little smarter and get away with the whole shebang.
>>
A disaster.

They wrote this utter nonsense, hired some name actors trying to win awards, and told them to overact.

David O Russell has gone beyond hack level.
>>
>>63178823
Scorsese isn't even good anymore. Russel is less than fucking nothing.
>>
>>63178876
>cautionary tale
what a pleb, nobody wants to be Tony Montana, everyone just likes him and his endlessly entertaining accent.
>>
>>63178825

People don't hate scarface because its "for niggers" they hate it because its forgettable trash with a shit plot and shit characters
>>
>>63178582
The soundtrack was weak, I agree, and too predictable, it had so much more potential.

>Muh 70's atmosphere
>A Horse With No Name starts playing

That scene with J. Lawrence singing Live and Let Die is cringy.
>>
>>63178876
Who doesnt want to be Michael Corleone?
>>
You know, I was going to say I thought it was pretty alright, but I hardly remember anything about it. I was bored one morning so I caught it in my local Cinemark for matinee price and seem to recall enjoying it, but everything about it just faded from my memory within about a day. It was severely forgettable.
>>
>>63178562
How the fuck does he hide that? I've never noticed it in anything I've seen him in.
>>
I liked it
>>
>>63178471
Why are their boobs so separated? They are supposed to be young not old sag monsters.
>>
>>63178471
genius.
It's amazing how someone can make the most forgettable movie of all time
>>
>>63178471
Pretty mediocre Imo
>>
>>63178876
Top kek

De Palma was crafting an opera not some pedestrian antidrug psa
>>
I didn't like it that much
>>
File: 1417054808125.jpg (9 KB, 350x334) Image search: [Google]
1417054808125.jpg
9 KB, 350x334
>>63178471

I thought the movie was a complete waste of time, but I'm glad I went just so I could see Amy Adams.

Something about her in this movie felt so real to life, I had a boner in the cinema the entire time.

It was genuinely painful sitting there knowing I'd never pound that booty.
>>
Faggots, nigger is on a god-like four movie run

THE FIGHTER
SILVER LININGS
AMERICAN HUSTLE
JOY

That is a GOAT four movie run
>>
Jennifer Lawrence was like a 15 year old playing an adult in this movie.
>>
>>63178471
it was ok

kinda unfair how Jlaw only made a meager 30 million dollars out of it
>>
7/10
>>
>>63178471
It was awful but all the sideboobs were nice.
>>
File: threeKings.jpg (121 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
threeKings.jpg
121 KB, 1024x768
This is great fun and I love David O. Russell... BUT, I'm still waiting for David to make a better film than Three Kings and it hasn't happened yet.

Three Kings is still his absolute best.
>>
>>63182095

This, it was weird as hell.
>>
>>63182052
Christian Bale and Amy Adams are the only good aspects of those movies you listed.
Bradley Cooper was good in Silver Linings but fucking boring in American Hustle.
>>
>>63180960
That's how small to medium sized boobs look like if you don't push them together with a push up bra.
>>
>>63182182
I cannot fucking comprehend how the same person who made Three Kings made that cancerous growth American Hustle.
>>
>>63182052
>JOY
That hasn't even come out yet and those other 3 movies are abortions. Eh, Fighter was ALRIGHT.

Not sure what you're expecting from Joy with its leading "actress"

>>63182095
>>63182187
such a terrible actress, like most of her other "films" she was only in character about 1/3 of the time
>>
File: 1417284875101.jpg (9 KB, 224x225) Image search: [Google]
1417284875101.jpg
9 KB, 224x225
The Academy is usually pretty retarded but this really didn't deserve a fraction of the nominations it got. Maybe Bale for muh method acting, but that's about it.

Same shit with Silver Linings Playbook. Jackie Weaver and De Niro both got nominated. I can't even remember Weaver having a single line in that movie. De Niro had maybe one dialogue of some merit but not nearly enough to warrant a best supporting actor nom.

As stated, Oscars are always silly redundant little things but Russell gets them rock hard for some reason. I think his movies are quaint, but unmemorable. He fails to create a world with life, everything feels too much like a stage. People need to stop singing his praises and instead tell him what he should do to improve.
>>
File: 1444157022949.png (153 KB, 351x351) Image search: [Google]
1444157022949.png
153 KB, 351x351
Couldn't follow it for shit.

Not talking about 'was the redhead into bale or cooper' I just couldn't follow the shitty plot at all.

Don't get why they hamfisted De Niro, or casted CK.

It was just all over the place, mostly due to the dialogue.
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.