[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what's up with all that racism in hollywood
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5
File: gifyvillain[1].gif (182 KB, 570x561) Image search: [Google]
gifyvillain[1].gif
182 KB, 570x561
what's up with all that racism in hollywood
>>
>>63150646
They're all some form of chinese though.
>>
>>63150646
What's racist about this? Asian protag, eskimo side characters, Asian villain.
>>
>>63150646
Aang's casting wasn't terrible I thought, but yeah the rest of the cast was fuck, like the whole movie really.
>>
What no one ever mentions is that Shyamallama is darker than Spike Lee and cast his nationality as the villains

Even though the Airbenders are pretty much Tibetan, he made them white as fuck and made the palest race, the Fire Nation, into street shitters so his people would be evil
>>
>>63150682
He's talking about the movie adaptation.
>>
Everyone in Avatar is Asian dumbfuck. Firebenders are nips.
>>
>>63150705
Nobody respects that movie. One of the worst adaptations I've ever seen. Heaven forbid he fucks up Korra as well.
>>
File: 6w8gNyQ.png (244 KB, 689x654) Image search: [Google]
6w8gNyQ.png
244 KB, 689x654
Making Katara and Sokka white is a demonstration of Shyamalan's dedication to the canon, since he wanted to emphasize Waterbenders' blue eyes

He's the hero we deserve
>>
>>63150646
The main kid is white though. The girl and the other guy look like they're native or possible Italian. The last guy looks like he could be asian.
>>
>>63150763
you know color contacts exist right
>>
>>63150705
That is what's so revealing about the Airbenders movie casting. It shows that the white-washing doesn't have much to do with propaganda in media as it does feeding into people's own ability to identify with characters of their own race and vilify people who don't look like them.

Shaymalan obviously doesn't have any agenda to make everyone hate brown people. He, like the rest of Hollywood, is just trying to profit off of people's own racism.
>>
>>63150705
>the Fire Nation, into street shitters so his people would be evil

But Zuko and Iroh are objectively the best characters of the series, if anything he's showing favoritism by giving his people the best roles.
>>
>>63150912
No, the white chick was the daughter of one of the producers, and obviously her brother had to be white as well or it would make no sense.
>>
>>63150746
Yet all characters except for Zuko and Iroh were voiced by white people in the cartoon.
>>
>>63151633
So you admit Shredder was black?
>>
>>63150912

Exactly. It's the same reason all video game main characters are white males with brown hair. It offends the least amount of people if heros are white and villains are brown.
>>
File: looking great.png (227 KB, 500x442) Image search: [Google]
looking great.png
227 KB, 500x442
>>63150646
Sokka actor was top qt on the movie, only reason why I didn't threw up while watching that trash.
>>
>>63150912
But are people actually racist enough to affect profits?
>>
>>63153098
Star Wars will tell
>>
>>63151711
He had white skin
>>
zuko ended up being one of the best characters, so I think Shamalon wanted to give one of his indian bros the best role
>>
>>63153143
How so?
>>
>>63153278
He (or the studio) originally wanted Jesse McCartney for the role
>>
>>63150753
>Heaven forbid he fucks up Korra as well.

Korra doesn't need a movie adaption to fuck it up, the show already took care of it.
>>
>>63150646

There are no white poeple in the avatar universe.
They are all some form of asian.

Air = Tibetans
Earth = Chinese
Water = Siberians/Inuit
Fire = Japanese (first to industrialize)
>>
>>63153892
>Implying there is a difference

Chinks literally all look the same, m8.
>>
>>63153939
>>
File: korra 3.png (908 KB, 1280x725) Image search: [Google]
korra 3.png
908 KB, 1280x725
>>63150746
Culture wise, yes : Fire = Japan, Earth = China, Water = Inuits, Air = Tibetan monks or w/e

Ethnically I feel like only fire nation and possibly some of the earth nation (diverse) are Asian, the water tribe people look like Caucasians who over time have adapted a darker skin tone due to the strong sun at the poles, I mean all of them have blue eyes

Don't think the creators of the show thought this through too well regarding continuity though, I mean It's all over the place with some older water tribe people looking like real life Asian Inuits
>>
>>63154180
>I mean all of them have blue eyes

And most Earth people have green eyes while Fire people have yellow eyes.
>>
>>63154180
They have blue eyes, because of the element. Just like Fire have red and Earth have green. I wouldn't look deeper into it besides that.
>>
>>63154180
I always thought Fire = the West (white people). They're the whitest, they're in the west, they had the industrial revolution going on.
>>
>>63155023
They are Japaneese. But really, the show didn't really develop culture beyond aesthetic. They all have modern Western sensibilities with vague Asian and a bit of eskimo trapping.
>>
>>63155551
Can you defend that? I'm almost convinced, but I'd like a few examples.
>>
>>63151633
earth king was voiced by phil lamarr who also voiced vamp in the metal gear games

was the earth king a transnigger homosexual??
>>
>>63155718
Which part you would like me to defend?

That they almost all have modern views on things like gender, sexuality (except for marriage age, apparently), have modern-style school with prom-nights?
>>
>>63156417
No that they're Japanese.
>>
>>63156485
I have to admit that they aren't poor Japs, nobody is, they seem to have more Chineese architecture, but they do live on the chain of volcanic islands, their soldiers are samurai-styled, they are all about honour. And Japan was fairly agressive until they got nuked.

It's not 1-1 transplant, nobody there is, but they are fairly clearly inspired.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.