[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dante's Inferno Film
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 9
File: book+cover+final.jpg (2 MB, 1000x1250) Image search: [Google]
book+cover+final.jpg
2 MB, 1000x1250
Why hasn't there been a film adaptation yet? It could be one of the greatest films of our time if done right.
>>
Reminder that Inferno is the pleb's favorite canticle.

True patricians like Purgatorio the best.

And of course there are the living saints that enjoy Paradiso.
>>
i've tried reading this like 50 times but I never get it

so yes I want a movie to explain it to my dumbass so I don't have to spend 50 hours interpreting shitty interpretations of a gay ass poem
>>
It would need to be made by a traditional Catholic. There are too many points were Jews or libshit Catholics or even Pr*testants could hijack it and insert bullshit ideas about religion into it. desu there are so many ways it would be fucked up I'd be kinda scared to see it attempted.

If based Mel came back to direct it tho... Holy shit I would give all of my money to him for that.
>>
>>63142299
There has been. It was alright.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iS4We4MDheg
>>
There was an animated one that was entertaining, but it wasn't a very faithful adaptation, a good half the movie is Dante swinging a giant sword around killing demons from every circle of hell.
>>
>>63142299

I really enjoyed the God of War esque video game of Dante's Inferno.

I'll see myself out.

>>>/v/
>>
I'm pretty sure there is one being planned right now, but they are trying to shoe horn in a more romantic plot or something. I've never read the book, but I am sort of aware of what happens
>>
Nobody wants to watch a movie about a drunk scholar arguing with his political rivals while they burn in Hell

But seriously though, it's far too complex of a story to properly adapt into a movie. I can already see literally whoever they get to make it just not understanding the story on a fundamental level, with the inherent spiritual and psychoanalytic aspects of it being the first casualties
>>
A Divine Comedy trilogy directed by Peter Jackson would be pretty great.
>>
>>63142882
I enjoyed that one. The varying art styles were all really cool.
>>
>>63142937
>Peter Jackson
>Post-Hobbit

No
>>
>>63142913
Give it to Jodorowsky desu senpai
>>
its called Clerks
>>
>>63142907
Well the catalyst of the story is based on a romance. Dante was from a mildly wealthy and important family, so he was arranged into a political marriage, but he was in love with a different woman, Beatrice, who he pined for his entire life. When she eventually died, the grief caused Dante to spiral out of control with sin and degeneracy where he found himself lost in the dark forest in the beginning of the story. Beatrice watches him from heaven and sends Virgil down to guide him through Hell, up through Purgatory and eventually to the spheres of Heaven in order to save his soul from the path he was heading down
>>
>>63142937
He wouldn't know how to handle Purgatory and Paradise as stories
>>
>>63142299
because Dante's Inferno is a story about an Italian guy who can't be hurt walking around being introduced to niggas from the Illiad for twelve hours. There's really no conflict and it wouldn't make a very compelling movie.
>>
File: 1444854509464.png (542 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
1444854509464.png
542 KB, 600x800
>>63142351
What dont you get? It's pretty fucking straight forward
>>63142329
>edgy pleb detected
>>
>>63142913
Thats the thing about doing a Divine Comedy or a Dante's Inferno movie adaptation.

The only way the movie would ever get greenlit is if its a high budget action movie, but the story itself isn't about action. It's great because of the way it brilliantly weaves together history, theology, language, and the human condition into one 'epic' overarching narrative. A blockbuster movie about Dante's inferno would invariably end up being mostly just Dante hacking away at CGI demons and spouting cheap one-liners about famous dead people he comes across intermixed with monologues about how much he misses Beatrice and would do anything he get her back leading up to a physical confrontation with the devil himself that exhibits nothing in the way of subtly.

Making a blockbuster movie about Dante's Inferno is just a bad idea for everyone involved.
>>
>>63142299
https://youtu.be/Fr4wmvRmQ20

There's this one. It's a pretty funny interpretation of the story. It surprised me watching it on tv when I was like 12
>>
File: dantes-inferno-Book_Cover_en.jpg (275 KB, 1280x907) Image search: [Google]
dantes-inferno-Book_Cover_en.jpg
275 KB, 1280x907
Because it will turn out like this.
>>
>>63143025
Yeah I knew she guided him or whatever, I think they planned to make it even more about romance though with him like trying to rescue her or some shit
>>
Lets just hope on never.
>>
>>63143122
ok I get it, but it's just too tedious to read imo, and I feel like with the different versions i'd just be missing things

the only subject I was a genius at in school was reading/english but i'm still a pleb
>>
File: as above so below.jpg (96 KB, 720x1080) Image search: [Google]
as above so below.jpg
96 KB, 720x1080
>>63142299
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRrZZNyOqyY
>>
>>63143185
Literally the whole of the Divine Comedy is about Beatrice trying to rescue him though.
>>
>>63143214
Well I'm a STEM guy and had to read it for my common core reqs. Would read through class and never spent my own time on it. Though mine had notes and shit. Every Catholic should have to read it.

Straight forward. Goes through hell and encounters some Wishmaster shit in every circle. The part with Brutus and Judas was gud doe

>pic related, the book
>>
>>63143226
No I mean like him rescuing the damsel in distress
>>
>>63143287
>Beatrice comes back to life with the power of love
>>
>>63143287
That's what I mean. That's completely backwards. Dante is a sloppy fucked up drunk who's gotten on the wrong path in life, and Beatrice is the righteous soul that serves as his guiding star to get him back on life. Dante is the one who needs to be saved from Hell. Beatrice is dead and in Heaven, literally the furthest thing away from needing to be saved
>>
>>63143344
Sounds like something that feminists would love
>>
>>63143344
I'm pretty sure they have the Dante's Inferno game in mind if they do make a movie
>>
>>63143435
How old are you?
>>
>>63142299
Most over rated piece of shit ever. It had the potential to be one of the greatest books.

Instead of focusing on the damned historical greats like ceaser and Muhammad alleghieri focuses on pushing his political agenda and highlights literally who of Italian politicians that disagreed with him.

Ceaser only gets a sentence dedicated to him
>>
>>63143521
Fuck off uncultured pleb. Dante's political message is that God wants us to form a worldwide empire to hold temporal power. Cesar was a goddamn power hungry mass murderer, he prefers to talk with Justinian I in the Paradiso, or just put this idea in some guy he knew that could have witnessed the politcal chaos in Italy.
>>
Vexilla Regis Produent Inferni

I have that memorized from my edgy teenager days. It was the opening to the chapter where they introduce Lucifer. Means something like the banner of the king of hell approach.
>>
File: image.jpg (51 KB, 702x352) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
51 KB, 702x352
>>63143181

I'd be ok with that as long as they kept Lucifer based as fuck
>>
>>63142362
this desu

only a real catholic could capture the horror of hell
>>
>>63143856
Dante's Inferno was a pretty shitty video game but to its credit they did pre-render the cutscenes so they look baller as hell.
>>
>>63142299
Because if you had half a brain and actually read all 3 parts of the book you would understand that it is all a metaphor of the society where Dante was living which is slum in Italy.
You seem ti want a dude goes to hell and fights demons lmao.
>>
>>63143970
to*
>>
>>63142913
This.
If you cut out all the references to the events going on at the time and the political shit then the books would all be half as long.
Also the fact that many of the people Dante recognize in hell are people who had opposite political views then him would be fanfic tier today.
>>
>>63143856
Giant cock swinging around and all.
>>
>>63143181
That looks like the worst thing ever.
>>
>>63143856
Why is he not chewing on the 3 worst betrayers?
>>
>>63143280
>part with Brutus and Judas was gud doe
Yeah it was. That fucking imagery man. Satan just munching away on them.
>>
>>63144031
Yeah I noticed that too. Looks like he is crying tears of lava/fire though. Didn't play the game so I wouldn't know if it explains it.
>>
>>63142937
Peter Jackson is wasted now, he need a rest
>>
>>63143700
>implying ceaser doesn't represent the very best trait of humanity
>implying anyone wants to share rule with niggers and jews and women
>>
>>63143107
It could and should be a mocumentry
>>
>>63142299
nobody cares about devil may cry anymore
>>
>Dante put his current Pope in hell before he even died
>didn't even get excommunicated
>>
Plebians don't want a film version of Dante, they want a film based on Dore's 19th century illustrations of Dante. For one thing, are you willing to sit through allegorical commentaries on Florentine politics? Do you come to the movie with a 15th Century understanding of everything from Cosmology to the customs of Love, Marriage and the interrelation of Families and the Caste System that existed within Italian society? And how about the other books - Paradiso (Vol III) is sublime, but the Purgatorio (Vol II) is dense, dull and almost unreadable. Even to a Doctor of Literature. Which I am.

(And it's been filmed already: 1911, 1920's (lost) and excerpted in the 1930's Spencer Tracy movie. Also, Peter Greenaway's "TV Dante".)
>>
>>63145422
He was already excommunicated
>>
>>63143280
>>63144035
>Judas
shouldn't he however be redeemed by Jesus's sacrifice also?

plus if Judas never stepped up Jesus wouldn't even be able to make the sacrifice in the first place
and noone even reads the Gospel of Judas as bible omits it
>>
>>63143181
This game was fucking 10/10, better than god of war
>>
Dwain Worrell (The Walking Dead) was writing a script for Warner Bros.
>>
>>63146816
Pretty much this, there's so many things going on in the Divine Comedy, and you need a basic understanding of 15th century florentine culture, politics, society, etc.. Most people don't even know how territorial dynamics worked in that era of Italy, where cities were almost individual states, you need to have some knowledge of the disputes between Florence and Venice, and the socio political and religious struggles that were going on at the time.

People wouldn't even get Satan, and why he is entrapped in ice. And why he has three faces, is permanently crying as another victim of Hell itself, and why he is chewing on Cassius and Brutus besides Judas.
>>
File: 2426_4.jpg (182 KB, 728x409) Image search: [Google]
2426_4.jpg
182 KB, 728x409
>>63142882
It was more based on the game than it was the book, I enjoyed it
>>63142896
It's underrated imo
>>
>>63146816
>>63146816
Pretty much this, there's so many things going on in the Divine Comedy, and you need a basic understanding of 15th century florentine culture, politics, society, etc.. Most people don't even know how territorial dynamics worked in that era of Italy, where cities were almost individual states, you need to have some knowledge of the disputes between Florence and Venice, and the socio political and religious struggles that were going on at the time.

People wouldn't even get Satan, and why he is entrapped in ice. And why he has three faces, is permanently crying as another victim of Hell itself, and why he is chewing on Cassius and Brutus besides Judas.

Our notion of Satan nowadays is that he is a deity barely below God.
>>
>>63148280
>People wouldn't even get Satan, and why he is entrapped in ice. And why he has three faces, is permanently crying as another victim of Hell itself, and why he is chewing on Cassius and Brutus besides Judas.

Go on then, explain to me since I'm a pleb.
>>
>>63142299

wtf would you even show in it?

>Virgil 'you see those guys over there?'
>Dante 'uh yeah'
>Virgil 'they did something bad and came here'
>Dante 'oh.'
>repeat 8 times
>soundtrack by styx
>>
>>63146816
I found Paradise more boring than Purgatorio but otherwise I totally agree. A movie can't be extensively footnoted and still be good.
>>
>>63142299

Because it's impossible to sell a movie with devils to mainstream media.

Ask Spawn
>>
>>63149560
Ok, I'll make it short. The three faces are to rivalize the Holy Trinity, and Cassius and Brutus are along Judas in there, because that circle of Hell was designed to torture the betrayers of the great benefactors of mankind, Cassius and Brutus for killing Julius Caesar, and Judas for betraying/killing Jesus Christ.
Satan is entraped because as he flaps his wings desperately for eternity (since he is trying to fly to heaven to remove God from his throne) he keeps freezing the lake through the wind he creates and is unable to escape. He is weeping in a cry that mixes up with his own bodily liquids, and the face in the middle is constantly chewing on Judas because it's a torturing mockery on how he betrayed Jesus on his last supper.
>>
>if done right

What makes you think that would happen? It would have Scarjo in it as Satan for fucks sake.
>>
>>63145260
I would agree with you, but that's what Dante tought. And he wrote the Inferno, not me nor you.
>>
A true adaption of the Divine Comedy wouldn't really appeal to general audiences. You could probably get a heavily subsidized animated version done but would have to work hard to keep some art school shithead from turning it into a modern art statement.
>>
>>63149651
Fund it.
>>
>>63142362
>>63143280
But this isn't the Catholic hell, this is Catholic fan fiction about where a guy puts his political rivals in hell to make a statement about the society he lives in.
>>
>>63151035
>>63151035
It's fanfiction that has pretty much integrated and influenced canon
>>
>>63142993
>Peter Jackson
>doing a project he actually wants to do and putting the same care into it that he put into LotR

I have faith
>>
>>63143181
>>63142882

>BEATRICE!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15OJ-W0nVwE
>>
>>63151035

props for the 1 guy in this thread that actually read it.
>>
>>63150870
Wasn't Caesar portrayed as being in Hell though?
>>
There's already a sublime 1967 BBC TV movie entitled Dante's Inferno, directed by the famed Ken Russell, but, surprise, surprise, it's a bio of 19th century English painter and poet Dante Gabriel Rossetti.
>>
>>63152144

no m8 cassius and brutus are. caesar would be in purgatory with the other unbaptized souls
>>
>>63142329
There's a reason Inferno is the most well known, and that's because the remainder of the Divine Comedy is boring as shit.
>>
>>63142299
Because it's all dialogue, and it relies on a solid knowledge (or footnotes) of Renaissance Italian politics, culture, and Catholicism.

Does that sound like the makings of a successful movie to you?
>>
File: fmvp8vfsxktu7v68nea1.jpg (42 KB, 333x500) Image search: [Google]
fmvp8vfsxktu7v68nea1.jpg
42 KB, 333x500
I'd cast Jim Caviezel as Dante, Rose Byrne as Beatrice, Paul Bettany as Satan, and Mark Strong as Virgil.

What about you /tv/?
>>
>>63151948

This.
>>
File: L'Inferno 1911.jpg (135 KB, 644x514) Image search: [Google]
L'Inferno 1911.jpg
135 KB, 644x514
The first one was already the best m8
>>
>>63152406
>>63150870
>>63148280
>>63148251
>>63146816
Well, are there any books that can explain the political background of the book?

I understand there's a lot of shit on there, but throw a bone to the people interested.

>Doctor of Literature on /tv/

Ain't that some shit.
>>
>>63153123

This, try to find the version with electric music OST, it's great.
>>
They'd have to turn it into a dumb action movie or something. The poem is just Dante going around talking shit on his contemporaries in a cool setting.
Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.