[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm thinking of taking my family to see Creed later tonight.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 3
File: Creed_poster.jpg (17 KB, 220x326) Image search: [Google]
Creed_poster.jpg
17 KB, 220x326
I'm thinking of taking my family to see Creed later tonight. They aren't really movie people but occasionally we like to all get together to go eat and see a movie that would probably be enjoyable to everybody. I'm thinking this might be something everyone might like. So I guess I'm asking that before I spend a bunch of money, you guys think this could appeal to most people? Do you need to be really familiar with Rocky to get into it? Ages will range from 18-55, male and female. Would young and old, male and female enjoy it? Some of my family can be pretty racist, is there a bunch of chimping out and some sort of muh black privilege spin?

Thanks.
>>
>>63127372
I'd say yes. It's a definite crowd pleaser and Creed's race is kept to the background. Only one real scene that might be considered a "Chimp out" but it lasts all of 2 minutes.
>>
>>63127372

I wouldn't say yes. If you're taking your family. Go see the Good Dinosour. Both movies will make you cry but I think the Good Dinosour is more universally a good choice.
>>
>>63127372
Creed was awesome, although I think it would be more enjoyable for those with Rocky experience. A few moments definitely wouldn't have hit as hard if I wasn't familiar with the series.

As for chimping out and black privilege, Creed takes an extremely realistic approach to how black people act, no sugar coating and no race baiting.
>>
>>63127372
My girlfriend's son really enjoyed it
>>
I took my girlfriend who had never seen a Rocky movie before and doesn't like these types of movies and she absolutely loved it.

Just give them a 10 second rundown of Rocky and Apollo's relationship and they should be good
>>
Creed is a pretty anti-white movie through and through. I think it has a few enjoyable moments in spite of this (scenes with Stallone only) but I definitely walked out of the theater a little bothered by the fact I paid money to have a screen try to make me feel bad for being born white. It's also directed by a black just so you know.
>>
>>63128356
Why won't niggers ever learn?
>>
>>63127372
>Literally nigger the movie
>>
Alter Bridge is infinitely better. Kind of amazing how one man can take a band from shit to GOAT since 2000.
>>
>>63127372
>rocky preps the bull to fuck his wife

the movie
>>
>>63128356
>I haven't seen it but it has a black lead so I'll shitpost about it on /tv/: The Post
>>
Do yourself a favor and go to a nice white theater
>pack of coloreds sit by me
>never heard popcorn chewed so loudly
>3 straight previews of movies staring ice cube and/or kevin hart had them holoring
>smell ketchup
>look over and see them eating McDonald's
>halfway through the movie they start taking selfies with their popcorn buckets
>adonis creed's walkout music is 2pac
>nigs get up and start singing and dancing
>>
>>63127372
My wife's friend Jamal loved it.
>>
CAN YOU TAKE ME HIGHER
>>
i fucking love rocky, even rocky v, and this garbage made me go full /pol/

please dont give them your money
>>
File: ratchetassbitch.gif (1 MB, 200x207) Image search: [Google]
ratchetassbitch.gif
1 MB, 200x207
>mfw the kek meme prevents any real discussion of this actually good film
>>
>>63128356

>scenes with Stallone only

There are none.

>I haven't seen the movie and I'm so insecure about my own race that I have to make a shitpost on 4chan
>>
My stepson loved it, I'm sure your family will like it
>>
me and my wifes son loved it
>>
>>63129125
I don't mean solo Stallone scenes you goof, I mean the only good scenes are ones with Stallone. There are so many blacks in Creed it's unreal. I've fucking seen it.
>>
>>63129589
why do you care how many black people are in the movie? it's about a black guy, it makes sense that there are a large amount of blacks in it...
>>
Have a fun trip to the movies with the fan, OP! Hope Sly still has a trick or two up his sleeve and can show you guys a good time!
>>
>>63127870
Do this OP, The Good Dinosaur was fucking fantastic. I saw it this afternoon and I was on the verge of tears
>>
My sisters kid loved it. He really connected with Adonis when he was in jail because his dad is in jail too
>>
>>63131402
>>63129219
>>63129150
>>63128969
No one thinks this is funny
>>
>>63131516
I do.
>>
>>63128356
>not watching a film because "it has niggers"
The definition of a pleb
>>
>>63129589

why do you care that there are a lot of black people in it? the titular character is the son of Apollo Creed- a black boxer in the first Rocky movies.
>>
>>63128956
i saw the dark knight rises in a packed theater ass-deep in the chicago ghetto and we were the loudest ones in the place, mostly from laughing so hard, fuck you nolan
>>
>>63128956
I don't know senpai, I went to watch it at a theatre full of Black people and they weren't afraid to give me the candy and popcorn they bought at the concession. An old black guy even gave me the extra box popcorn that concession gave him.
>Inb4 he stole it
>>
>>63131516
>>63131799
We do.

Also, I heard this movie was shit.
Don't bother.
>>
The movie was good, not great. Enjoyable but conventional. I think it's perfectly fine for the kind of audience OP describes. Race is not really a theme.
>>
>>63127372
>>63127870
Should've went to see The Peanuts Movie.
>>
Calling it now, Creed 2 will be against the guy who beat him at the black gym.
>>
>>63137206
or the guy who jaw got broken
>>
OP here, we ended up doing something else. Keep it coming though, we might do it next weekend. So what's up with this dinosaur movie? I haven't even paid attention I just thought it was a kids show with an obnoxious commercial.
>>
>>63127372
It's fantastic. Just as good or maybe even better than then Rocky Balboa. The fight choreography is extremely innovative and gives you a sense of realism while giving one the feeling of being in the fight at the same time.

It doesn't try to make black people into sainted minority, it just shows they are working class slubs like everyone else, both good and bad. Basically one of the underlining messages of the film is that working class pride is far more important to people than race.
>>
>>63131516
desu my manager was talking about it today saying that I really liked it.
>>
>>63127372

It's awesome, especially as a general crowd-pleaser. I saw it the morning it opened and yes, everyone clapped at the end.
>>
Creed at its center is a very human film, but at the end of the day it doesn’t come across as fully organic. The film, like its titular main character, seems to have a chip on its shoulder about having its own legacy. Michael B. Jordan’s character boils down to this dimension that he has something to prove and he’s going to dodge, run, and punch until he does just that. It’s a shame because we’ve seen that Jordan is capable of a range of emotions in his work on The Wire in which he was only fifteen. Assuming that he hasn’t lost this capability the writers could have done a better job of giving him more to do. I would have liked to have seen Balboa’s self-deprecation, sight sense of humor, and peevish innocence rub off on Adonis somewhere before the closing credits. The young creed starts off as a boy that is angry at the world because he isn’t sure where he fits in it, and ends as a man that is hardened by the struggle he has had to overcome trying to achieve his legacy. He’s lost the anger, but not the rigid attitude the anger had sculpted. The film made me believe and root for Adonis, and that’s why I wish he’d had come further as a person. Maybe this a good thing, and it leaves room for growth in the inevitable sequel.
>>
The aesthetic is pitch perfect. Philadelphia is painted in a subdued but cozy grey and brown pallet of its early winter season. The boxing scenes have the camera spend a lot of time underneath the fighters. It’s pointed up at the lights that fall down upon them signifying that we are witnessing a larger than life war that would usually only occur between pagan deities. We spend a lot of time watching Stallone’s square and solid face subtly shift to convey an emotional complexity he can only seem to muster for this role. And yet, the film doesn’t have one of those iconic shots that were so prevalent in the Rocky films. It comes close in two particular shots, but never quite meets the grandeur. One where Adonis is jogging and he is followed, and later swarmed by a squadron of motor-bikes and ATV’s that are encouraging him to push harder. Then the last shot, that’s certainly heart-warming, but is an ultimately a rehash of the most famous of Rocky’s. You know the one. When he stares out at the Philadelphia Skyline from the steps Philadelphia Museum of art. Only this time Creed and Balboa stare out together.
>>
>>63139443
>>63139419
Good review. I agree Adonis needed slight more character development to understand a bit where he was coming from, which we don't really get until one of the last scenes ("to prove I wasn't a mistake!"). With Rocky, it was always to get out of the ghetto and not have the world treat him as a joke, which was hammered home again and again.
>>
I really liked that Bianca girl's music.
>>
>>63137206
inb4
>Creed 2 against Clubber Lang's son
>Creed 3 against Ivan Drago's son
>Creed 4 against the son of the shitty lawyer from Rocky 5
>Creed 5 against Rocky's son, having just now realized he was born a fighter
>Creed 6 against Mickey's grandson
>Creed 7 team-up with the New Ghostbuster against all the franchise's dead characters coming to haunt the boxing scene
>>
>>63139608
.fka TWIGS
>>
>>63128515
Adrian's dead you shitposter.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.