[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
More like this?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (97 KB, 535x714) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
97 KB, 535x714
More like this?
>>
Van Helsing
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter
V For Vendetta

I'm just guessing based on that poster since I have no intention of catching it.
>>
>>63117851

Solomon Kane is like if Van Helsing was a lot less fun and a lot more grim
>>
>>63117790
johna hex
it's fucking terrible though
>>
>>63117790

I actually really enjoyed this film, it was a setting that doesn't get much love and the characters were interesting and well-developed.

It also wasn't afraid of being really grim in tone, unlike a lot of other films that try and sugar-coat things.
>>
Solomon Kane was created by Robert E Howard, same guy that brought us Conan the Barbarian.
Solomon Kane is basically a Puritan version of Conan
>>
>>63118291
Solomon Kane is better because he kills more pagan Africans.
>>
>>63117909
>Van Helsing
>fun

sod off kid
>>
>>63117790
> 45 million dollar budget
> 19 million box office

Jesus christ did this kill purefoy's career?
>>
>>63117790
try dracula untold op
>>
>>63119227
his extremely one dimensional acting did it first
>>
>>63119263
his latest flick momentum flopped too, poor guy can't catch a break
>>
>>63117790
KANE?
>>
>>63117790
Looks more like the Undertaker to me, Kane never had a cowboy phase.
>>
File: 138313_512x288_generated.jpg (45 KB, 512x288) Image search: [Google]
138313_512x288_generated.jpg
45 KB, 512x288
>>63120209
huh?
>>
If you know anything about the movie industry you can instantly see what Solomon Kane is

They clearly optioned this big ambitious script that is trying to do the "semi-fantasy-esque over-the-top criminal underworld" theme (similar to Payback), with post-Matrix action, and the movie was clearly supposed to establish the setting for a franchise and trilogy, BUT, for whatever weird reason, someone got cold feet along the way and told them to trim it back to a standalone single feature.

You can just smell that it was originally meant to be like 3 hours long and much deeper lore-wise. You can smell the characters that were hastily miscast and smushed to fit into the edited script, so that they seem bizarrely out of place and overexaggerated for how little screen time and relevance they get. You can tell that the budget was gutted.

Some financial decision was made by the higher-ups that the original gamble was no longer worth it, but that they could still have their shot at making it a franchise if they somehow managed to take the hugely reduced scope and budget of the project and create something great. And they didn't.

Watching Solomon Kane is like watching 1/4th of something ambitious that a lot of people resignedly stretched and flayed to cover the space left by the absence of the other 3/4ths. It reminds me of Lucky Number Slevin, where they optioned a script and then forgot to apply enough funding and care to actually turn it into a movie, so it's bizarrely uncanny to moviegoers, like watching an inexplicably high production quality stageplay of some guy's shitty fanfiction with a dumb name.
>>
File: Kane-face.jpg (184 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Kane-face.jpg
184 KB, 640x480
>>63120209
why does he wear the mask?
>>
>>63119227
Of course not. He went on to star in the acclaimed "John Carter"
>>
>>63119340
Watched it yesterday. It isn't really that terrible at all.
>>
File: Solomon-Kane-Image-011.jpg (38 KB, 600x381) Image search: [Google]
Solomon-Kane-Image-011.jpg
38 KB, 600x381
>>63117909
More like Solomon Kane actually has pacing. Van Helsing just keeps rushing from beginning to end.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.