[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is Luke the only character in Star Wars with a normal, Earthly
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3
File: LukeGreenSaber-MOROTJ.png (794 KB, 1280x851) Image search: [Google]
LukeGreenSaber-MOROTJ.png
794 KB, 1280x851
Why is Luke the only character in Star Wars with a normal, Earthly name?
>>
>>63112670
He isn't.
>>
>>63112670
So you relate
>>
Ben Kenobi
Owen Lars
>>
Kyle Katarn
>>
>>63112670
Luke is short from
Flazzybertoruroiuslukkusonurous Boukko Skywalker.
>>
File: 1409371497002.png (11 KB, 1284x1074) Image search: [Google]
1409371497002.png
11 KB, 1284x1074
>>63112670

Luke's dad is Owen Lars. That's pretty American sounding.
>>
Maybe cause it doesn't take place on earth numbnuts
>>
>>63112670
well hes not
but compared to other major characters he is
thats to create relatability to the audience
at its core star wars is the classic story of a farmhand thrust forward by fate to become a knight and save the damsel in distress
your supposed to be able to place yourself in the role
hence the common name, and the change from starkiller to skywalker
>>
>Luke
>Lucas

Bravo!
>>
Maul's first name was originally Fred.
>>
ok get this:

when scripts go into editing and since george lucas didnt have full creative control under contract of the studios, the editors consider a few things in mind.

the audience has to relate to the main characters in some way, that's how movies work as a story telling medium to making capital. Since the united states movie goers are usually the apple pie eating snow niggers, then the main characters have to be catered to them in some ways. If george had full control from the start, it wouldnt have caught any ground plus america was still pretty racist after the civil rights movement and generations far from completely being forgotten. Michael Jackson was the first black American to be aired on MTV in the 80s.
>>
>>63112670
Darth is actually a pretty popular name for Polish girls. I have an aunt named Darth.
>>
Obi Wan is Ben
>>
>>63112878

On the topic, I have an aunt called Hedwig. Like the owl from Harry Potter.

Apparently that's a people name too.
>>
>>63112878

Darth Icky?
>>
>>63112905
yeah? it been a "people name" for a very long time
rowlings didnt just come up with it
>>
File: Lumpy.jpg (70 KB, 424x504) Image search: [Google]
Lumpy.jpg
70 KB, 424x504
>>63112918
Lumpy
>>
>>63112951
The only shit Rowling actually came up with on her own was all the retarded shit like house elves and pumpkin juice
>>
Hans Olo
>>
There were 3 people named Sheev in my graduating class
>>
Bob O'Fett
>>
>>63113484
Indian girls?
>>
>Finn
even a more normal name than Rey or Poe. Is he the MC
>>
>>63112670
Well he's not the only one, but there aren't many.

My guess is because Luke is an "everyman" character.
>>
>>63113870
No, white senators
>>
>>63112670
Because Lucas ripped off Dune.
>>
Luke and Ben are sand people names.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.