[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you forgive him?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5
File: 1448063726767.webm (2 MB, 854x480) Image search: [Google]
1448063726767.webm
2 MB, 854x480
Do you forgive him?
>>
I forgive you, peter...
>>
''no''
should've listened
>you either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become George Lucas
>>
>>63106843
fuck no
>>
>>63106843
no
>>
of course i do. people do things for money all the time. making some shit movies is hardly the worst thing, it made more people money, it employed people, gave people entertainment

why would you hate someone over some stories ?
>>
>>63106905

This. He literally did the same thing as Lucas, only Jackson had source material to work with and still decided to make a bloated trilogy.
>>
It sounds like he got fucked over by the producers who kept pushing the deadline despite having nothing to go with since Del Toro threw his hands up and said "fuck this!"
>>
I saw the third one in HFR 3D while stoned and it was actually pretty fun
>>
>>63106843
He went from this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqjfq5gsfYk

to THIS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMWmBtDDVUw
>>
>>63106843
He still looks like a fat fuck after the surgery
>>
>>63107044
Jackson should have followed del toro desu. He was already starting to go downhill with King Kong. If he was cornered in such a position like that, then why not just leave? He didn't want to make the Hobbit movies to begin with, so why would he stick around and make 3 bad movies under all that pressure?
>>
What? That The Hobbit is no LOTR? I think I knew that before. I read the book. I'm not one of the people who thought it would be on par with this.
>>
File: Courage vomit.gif (316 KB, 324x187) Image search: [Google]
Courage vomit.gif
316 KB, 324x187
>>63107077

>The comments on the Tauriel video.

>The comments on most Hobbit-related videos.
>>
>>63107115
LOTR didn't have a mother fucking dragon
>>
>>63106993
>of course i do. people do things for money all the time. making some shit movies is hardly the worst thing, it made more people money, it employed people, gave people entertainment

Whoa. When you put it like that, it does seem a bit silly to make a big deal of how bad the movies were.
>>
>>63106993
this

i'm still glad he made LOTR and i feel more empathy for him now that he admitted it the hobbit sucked, unlike lucas
>>
>>63107077
even comparing the comments on each video is a testament to that
>>
>>63107158
And good Saruman and dwarf action and some more. Definitely different than LOTR but I'm glad it's finally here.
>>
>>63107077
jesus fuck.
all of the hobbit has a disgusting glow.
Why does LoTR makes you want to be there though.
>>
>>63107190
Unless he said something new he didn't say it. Only that he needed more time for the last battle. But of course here people don't pay attention and hate it just cause.
>>
>>63107077
Has anyone done an edit of this scene like the one with gandalf and saruman?
>>
i think peter jackson did the best he could with the hand he was dealt

who knows, maybe with some distance people will see the hobbit movies in a better light. for instance, the silmarillion is filled with hokey relationship melodrama and PJ will never be able to adapt that book so he included that element of it in the form of the legolas\tauriel\kili triangle
>>
>>63107313
It's clear from the interviews and the product that they were playing catch up from the moment they started shooting. The battle of five armies was the breaking point. He needed at least a year of pre production after del toro left and got almost none. Go watch again and pay attention, he needed more time for everything and it shows.
>>
>>63107374
The Hobbit is not a very good book.
>>
>>63107374
Did you read the silmarillion? It's an insult to say he took themes from it. He certainly didn't take any thing from it. And I also get sick of people saying to took thing from Tolkien appendices because all the Jackson changes were out of their asses.

>>63107446
I've listened to it in the last year and it holds up as a great emotional adventure
>>
I forgive him. It's a shame that the didn't make the Hobbit a comfy adventure movie for children, which it should have been.
>>
>that ain't me starts playing
>>
the worst decision that was made stretching it into 3 films

he could have made a great film if he just made one tight package that carried the tone of fellowship, and it would still be making money from streaming now
>>
>>63107446
I'll say that a movie can do 2 things to a book: Make the book better or worse. The LoTR movies were so good that now if you listen to the LoTR Audiobooks, it's like being in a massive extended edition in your head.

The Hobbit had so much shat on that now I have to imagine giant mountains punching each other.
>>
>>63107446
Why not? It's a decent fairytale that never aspired to be anything more than that.
>>
i think by the end of the trilogy the hobbit movies became sort of a satire of themselves. i like to think of bilbo as being peter jackson's self-insert, who gets involved with the adventure for the best of reasons, gains the corruptive power of steering his own franchise, becomes a broken husk of a man and winds up stuck telling a heavily embellished and romanticized version of the hobbit
>>
>>63106843

I don't forgive him for ruining Lord of the Rings, no. Fuck Peter Jackson and his shitty changes.
>>
>>63107864
LoTR had to be changed
The Hobbit did not, especially with the freedom of 2 movies.

3 Movies, stretched from 2 was greedy and a bad choice. 2 would have been a perfect pace for the Hobbit, with no changes.
>>
There's an edit of the whole trilogy into one film... but the quality is horrendous
>>
>>63108002
>LoTR had to be changed

No it didn't. That's a really stupid thing to say.
>>
>>63108083
LoTR books could not have been adapted into 3 movies without serious changes. If you think otherwise you are a crazy person.
>>
>>63106843
hell no
>>
>>63108666
you're damn right satan
the books were so extensive you couldn't hope to cover the entire lotr universe in movie form unless you made them 5 hr plus each
>>
I'm more disappointed than mad, i don't give a fuck about The Hobbit but it makes me sad that the director of my favourite movie has become a hack.
>>
>>63106993
>why would you hate someone over some stories ?
HE RETROACTIVELY ERASED THE ORIGINAL BOOKS FROM EXISTENCE NOW LET ME EXPLAIN WHY WATCHMEN SUCKED AND YOU SHOULD HATE IT TOO
>>
>>63108820
>the director of my favourite movie
"Meet the Feebles"?
>>
File: tony_mafia_soprano.jpg (41 KB, 619x386) Image search: [Google]
tony_mafia_soprano.jpg
41 KB, 619x386
>>63107014
Are you saying Lord of the Rings ISN'T bloated?
>>
>>63110158
Heavenly Creatures
>>
>>63110166
What are some examples of bloat/worthless scenes in LOTR?
>>
>>63110544
Not the OP, but...

FOTR: Basically a perfect film. The most natural and aesthetically pleasing of the three and made with the most love and attention.

TT: Filmed on a shoestring budget to begin with which was then subsequently bloated after the success of FOTR. Lots of reshoots make the film feel disjointed. We begin to see the first "bad" CGI / effects such as the destruction of Isengard.

As for bloat:
The entire Warg Riders sequence. What exactly did this have to do with driving the plot forward? If you listen to the commentary it's something about reminding us of Arwen and also bringing a "dire" warning to Helm's Deep about the oncoming army but it drags quite a bit and there is no gravity to it since we know Aragorn is going to be ok.

Wild men pledging to Saruman (why show this and then never show the wild men again?) Even in the raid on that town you can't even tell if it's wild men or orcs. Literally pointless.

Elijah Wood's performance in this film makes him the laziest protagonist ever... it's like the movie has to literally pull him along. I just watched this and ROTK last weekend and I am pretty sure it was a directorial decision to make him so lifeless and for Frodo to speak so slowly it grinds the story to a halt. Maybe an older actor could have pulled it off, but not Wood. I am so disappointed when people tell me that they just want to fastforward Sam/Frodo despite Sean Astin's phenomenal performance and it's because the Frodo they filmed is unwatchable, even with reshoots (or maybe because of). The relationship always felt more father/son (or owner/slave) in the books to me than brothers (or, as many casual fans interpret it, gay lovers).

Maybe I am overly harsh but ... that's just my take on it. Sorry to tangent a bit.
>>
>>63107077
Never read the books. Was really sad when Boromir died. I fucking love Sean Bean. Shame he usually gets shitty roles.
>>
Threads like this are the definition of being an "armchair general".
I'm all up for a good critique and, except for the second and some parts of the first Hobbit movie, I think they really suck. But it's still so funny to read how people on an anonymous board are practically yelling at someone who actually is doing something with his life and creating something, while being drenched head to toe in the modern hollywood machine, jumping through all the business hoops and still creating something like LOTR.

>anyone care for your forgiveness
>your forgiveness means something

You know it's easy to say what he should have done while sitting in your room behind a keyboard, you're just like those people watching a match on a tv and yelling at a fighter how bad he is for not evading that simple punch not even asking yourselves if you could evade it.

It all looks so easy, and as such a cliche when it's not happening to you.
>>
Am I the only one that feels that the LOTR trilogy feels a little off? maybe because its a little too campy, some shoots also feel weird, I can't put my finger on it
>>
File: _500.jpg (121 KB, 500x673) Image search: [Google]
_500.jpg
121 KB, 500x673
Depends on how Tin Tin turns out. I still have hope as long as he gets the pre-production time, guy works much better with an extensive planning period.
>>
>>63111155
>I can't do something, therefore I cannot critique someone else doing something I can't do

Yeah okay. Hey elevator technician, the elevator only goes to the third floor but I can't criticize you for it because I can't personally install an elevator.
>he can't install an elevator
Insert clever quip

The fact is that people with an amateur interest in film editing have managed to prune The Hobbit movies down into almost-watchable films (minus a few miscues which are virtually unavoidable given that some things simply cannot be edited). And behold! Much of the content axed is the same content that near everyone over 14 years old complains about! What a magical coincidence... it's almost like people CAN criticize something without being an expert in that thing!
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.