[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
After watching the prequels and then watching this, this feels
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 12
File: crawlbd.jpg (53 KB, 700x299) Image search: [Google]
crawlbd.jpg
53 KB, 700x299
After watching the prequels and then watching this, this feels like the most out of place movie in the whole series.
>>
Ive been watching each movie (chronological order) and i made it to a new hope and i agree after finishing the prequels and starting the original they dont feel connected besides loose hints
>>
>>63105319
>>63105591
That's just a testament to how badly Lucas fucked up the prequels
>>
I watched a new hope for the first time last night and it was a pretty strange experience. It was a lot more different than I expected knowing so much about this franchise but never seeing the movies.
>>
>>63105915
plz expand. I'm curious
>>
>>63105894
yeah even though he betrayed alot of the original fans, the younger crowd latched on the prequels (even if the CGI is already aged out) >my little cousin likes the prequals more
>return of the jedi is his fav from original series
>>
>>63105974
It's kind of hard to explain, but it's the type of movie that feels like even though it was was super successful, even if it wasn't it would still be satisfying to watch by itself without sequels and prequels. I thought parts of the plot would go a certain way than I imagined, like how Luke meets Obi Wan and the rest of the characters, how Obi Wan explains who Luke's father was, etc.
>>
>>63106236
(CONT.) I went in to the movie as if I didn't know anything about Star Wars and it worked for the most part and I enjoyed it alot, but I couldn't get all of the poetry out of my mind. I wish I could have grown up in a world without Star Wars, so that when I saw this there wouldn't be all these expectations I put it already. It also just proves how awful the prequels are again.
>>
>>63105319
>watching cgiquels
>ever
>>
What's wrong with the prequels?
>>
Star Wars wasn't "Star Wars" until Empire Strikes Back.
>>
>>63106531
DUDE BAD OPINION LMAO

DUDE DRUGS DONT ACTUALLY PROVIDE ANY INSIGHT THEY JUST MAKE THE MUNDANE SEEM DEEP LMAO

DUDE EGO DEATH IS A MEME LMAO

DUDE DRUG INDUCED EGO DEATH IS NOT REAL BECAUSE NOTHING CAN SEPERATE US FROM THE SUM OF OUR EXPERIENCES WITHOUT PERMANTENTLY DAMAGING THE BRAIN LMAO
>>
>>63106559
dude caps lock lmao
>>
>>63106559
Fresh off the boat, from reddit, kid? heh I remember when I was just like you. Braindead. Lemme give you a tip so you can make it in this cyber sanctuary: never make jokes like that. You got no reputation here, you got no name, you got jackshit here. It's survival of the fittest and you ain't gonna survive long on 4chan by saying stupid jokes that your little hugbox cuntsucking reddit friends would upboat. None of that here. You don't upboat. You don't downboat. This ain't reddit, kid. This is 4chan. We have REAL intellectual discussion, something I don't think you're all that familiar with. You don't like it, you can hit the bricks on over to imgur, you daily show watching son of a bitch. I hope you don't tho. I hope you stay here and learn our ways. Things are different here, unlike any other place that the light of internet pop culture reaches. You can be anything here. Me ? heh, I'm a judge.. this place.... this place has a lot to offer... heh you'll see, kid . . . that is if you can handle it.
>>
>>63106531
>>63106559
There's that one saying, that Star Wars revolutionized the film industry while Empire Strikes back revolutionized Star Wars. Then Return of the Jedi ended it.
>>
>>63105319
you mean it was the only good one?
>>
>>63106887
but ANH is far and away the best SW movie.

ANH>>>>>>>ESB=ROTJ=ROTS=AOTC=TPM>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>TCW(2008 movie)

I love all six live action movies mind you.
>>
When I was a wee lad I enjoyed the prequels yet preferred the origjnals. I also liked the EU and accepted it as cannon. Since rewatching the OT a few weeks ago for the first time in years, I've become a purist and essentially acknowledge nothing but the OT as being "star wars" when I discuss SW with friends and they bring up things from the prequels/EU, I pretty much go "lolsuckadick"
>>
>>63106236
>>63106265
I'm showing a friend of mine who essentially knows nothing at all about star wars a new hope this weekend. He has solid enough taste, from the small details I've given him I realized he imagined it at a star trek, very ploddimg, methodical pseudo science type of thing. When I told him it was sort of like LOTR in space, and was more about the characters, friendships, laser fights and fun he basically said "sounds pretty rad, well have to check one out." Kinda excited
>>
File: 1377162882866.jpg (23 KB, 290x324) Image search: [Google]
1377162882866.jpg
23 KB, 290x324
>>63106940
>ESB=ROTJ=ROTS=AOTC=TPM
>>
>>63105319
DAILY REMINDER

>Onderon is canon
>Rakata Prime is canon
>Mandalore is canon
>Bane is canon
>if all these are canon Revan is canon
>if Revan is canon Canderous is canon
>If Canderous is canon the Yuuzhan Vong are canon
>tfw

how much do they pay you to shill OP
>>
>>63105319
Ep 1, 2, and 3 were very similarto each other.
Ep 5, and 6 were also very similar to each other.
Ep 4 has always been the odd one out.
>>
File: image.jpg (61 KB, 510x399) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
61 KB, 510x399
Shadows of the Empire had better be canon as well!

I loved shooting womprats in that game with my friends. Plus it has a great selection of baroque-style Star Wars music.
>>
>>63107005
That's cool, I hope he enjoys it. It's strange hearing about people who know nothing about Star Wars watching it for the first time that are adults. A lot of people grew up with the movies and have fond memories about them. I personally was just never shown any of them.
>>
File: image.jpg (116 KB, 600x848) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
116 KB, 600x848
>>63107165
In Ep. II, the Republic is being displaced by the Separatists and clones

In Ep. IV, the Rebelllion is being displaced by the ongoing Civil War

Rian Johnson's Ep. VIII will probably continue along those lines as the Knights or the Order continually displace the remaining Jedi
>>
empire and return had different writers/directors
>>
>>63107119

What is the connection between Canderous and the Vong?
>>
File: image.jpg (45 KB, 350x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
45 KB, 350x480
>>63106488
Bad editing, mostly... as well as the fact that they are intended for a much younger audience, say age 5-10.

A lot of character intros were cut out of the prequels, as well as Anakin's courting of Padme... You can't just cut these things out of the movie and expect it to work. They may as well put most of them back in.
>>
>>63107189
I met someone who had never seen an episode of The Simpsons before, and didn't know what it was
>>
File: image.jpg (61 KB, 571x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
61 KB, 571x480
>>
>>63105319

> There are people who are so young they have to decide whether to watch the prequels before the original trilogy

Fuck, I'm old.
>>
>>63107179
I'd like them to do some kind of show or short ova or something showing the stuff not featured in the game.
>Darth Vader hanging out in his egg
>Boba Fett and the other bounty hunters fighting over Han's Carbonite Slab
>>
File: image.jpg (60 KB, 500x627) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
60 KB, 500x627
>>
File: image.jpg (261 KB, 807x800) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
261 KB, 807x800
>>63107246
Sorry that's Episode V - ESB, not IV
>>
>>63105319

It feels out of place because they changed a lot in the subsequent movies.
>>
>>63107388
>There are people born post 9/11 in high school now
Fuck, ur even older.
>>
>>63107274
he found a vong ship during one of his missions in the outer rim, it fired on his crew and then jumped to LS and fled the galaxy
>>
>>63107475
Fuck.
>>
>>63106488
They're boring.
The droids border on being either based af or complete shit.
General Grievous has a cool design but they completely fuck up his execution.
There's ridiculous leaps of logic and poorly thought out plot points that don't make sense. There's this ambitious attempt at a complex story but it feels like they only went with the first draft of the script.
Every villain that isn't Sheev or Dooku is a complete retard.
There's alot of hamfisted nostalgia callbacks that are just kind of grating and the whole trilogy feels like it's just a callback with more advanced CGI.
The ost is pretty great though and some of the fights are cool looking.

Also Lucas apparently doesn't understand what love or romance is.
>>
>>63106488
They had to deliver the downfall of a character with hero's moral compass in a beliavable, non-retarded way and they failed.
>>
>>63106488
they ruined Jedi by over explaining their culture
they added a shitty "Chosen one" prophecy
Jedi are now catholic priests who will only train toddlers
>>
File: image.jpg (125 KB, 600x839) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
125 KB, 600x839
>>63107396

Maybe we'll see some sewers in VII, or the much-loved jetpack...

http://youtu.be/Z9j_4Oz3hZg
>>
I grew up watching the Special Edition in Theater in 1996 and I remember liking them. I know people shit of The Menace Phantom when it came out I was 8 but I really liked it (mostly because of the Podracing part though). I watched AoTC (when I was 11) which I thought was watchable but wasn't good either and I hated Revenge of the Sith (when I was 14) when I saw it in theater in 2005.
>>
>>63107854
I was around the same age but I was just kind of accepting of whatever they threw at me, so I sorta liked the prequels when they first came out.
Something weird I noticed was that Episode 2 was never really played on TV after it came out. I was used to movies going to pay per view soon after theaters and then getting played on regular cable, and thought it was odd they stepped around such a big name like Star Wars.
>>
>>63106160

the prequels are more interesting and fun to sit down and watch despite the OT having the better story and making a lot more sense. And VI is pretty bad. Drags on a fuck ton.
>>
>>63107652

How was it retarded exactly? He was a slave who was promised amazing power if he left his mother as a slave on a shithole of a planet. He became powerful as fuck and attempted to save his mother but failed to do so. He then has a fit of rage and massacres the sand people, which he would do again to the jedi and younglings. He then has visions about his wife dying and Palpatine seduces him to the dark side with the promise of being able to save her life as well as having immense power after he witnesses that the Jedi are corrupt. Instead he OD's on darkside and kills her himself, fulfilling his vision and continues on as Palpatine's apprentice as he has nowhere else to go.
>>
>>63108324
have you seen the dialogue and the cating

its atrociou
>>
>watching the prequels

I shiggy diggy
>>
>>63108344

casting? It isn't horrible. Vader could be anyone. He has 20years to grow into the Vader he is in ANH. Obi-wan is amazing. Sheev was great before he became a meme. Windu was cool. Dooku was decent, if a bit boring. And the dialogue was horrible in the OT too. Don't begin to imply it was something amazing.
>>
>>63108386
ACTING. And the dialogue. It's all terrible. The cinematography and CGI is down the shitter too.
It's all executed horribly.
>>
>>63108411

I said I agree on the dialogue. But it extends to the OT too. It is a universal opinion that CG was a completely horrible decision and it did hinder the production. But I was just arguing that Anakin's turn to the darkside was done rather well, considering the poor dialogue and acting.
>>
File: image.jpg (31 KB, 300x318) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
31 KB, 300x318
>>63106474
>CGI-quels
Hehehe
>>
>>63105319
Low quality b8 m8
>>
>>63106488
A lot less if you remove The Phantom Menace altogether desu
>>
>>63106160
RoTJ has that last fight between Luke, Vader and the Emperor though. That's one of the very best parts out of all the films.
>>
I really just do not believe that there are people here who haven't seen Star Wars so you can stop trying to pull off this lie because it's being posted constantly. No one believes you and you look downright foolish.
>>
I'm glad I watched Star Wars on a VHS as a kid without knowing what it was.
>>
File: livingunderrock.jpg (139 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
livingunderrock.jpg
139 KB, 640x480
>>63106488
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxKtZmQgxrI&list=PL5919C8DE6F720A2D
>>
>>63107119
Think of it this way: All that matters is the movies, and that's how it always has been. You can pick and choose what you want to be your headcanon from all the EU as long as it doesn't contradict the films.

It boggles the mind that the original 2d Clone Wars is noncanon despite it fitting nicely in the gap between episodes 2 and 3, yet the 3D Clone Wars which is a fucking mess of continuity errors is the "official" canon one.
>>
I've been doing a chronological run trough in order to hype/ground myself before Force Awakens, and I haven't really watched the prequels since they disappointed me in theaters. Hell, I almost didn't go see Revenge of the Sith, I was dragged to it by my younger, less Star Wars enthusiast brother. And seeing them again while being aware of their flaws and how badly they clash with the original trilogy, I'm surprised how much I'm just enjoying watching the design and craft of it all and all those raw ideas that didn't come together. Without any expectation, I'm actually enjoying myself.

And then there's the Clone Wars series. The 2003 Cartoon Network one. Didn't watch it back then, regret that now. It's fun as fuck, much better than the prequel trilogy and actually made me care about the main characters more. I've also worked my way to the 2008 cartoon theater release, not quite as good but passable enough that I'm continuing on to the series.

I'm quite expecting the clash when I get to A New Hope, though I doubt the experience will make me like it less. It's none the less jarring to see pictures from it in the middle of this all, the prequels have such a different visual aesthetic to them, especially post Phantom Menace when I think Lucas and Co just gave up on trying to attempt that at all.
>>
People criticize the dialogue in the OT and say the PT isn't much worse, but they're plebs. The acting in the OT is tongue-in-cheek enough to make the clunky dialogue digestible, and the movies balance light-hearted Ness with melodrama. Basically the PT takes itself too seriously and has none of the charm or salutes to Saturday morning serials/kitsch that made the OT fun.
>>
>>63110839
OT spends enough time with the main characters for us get to know and care about them and gives them clear character arcs so we get a sense of growth and development. The actors are also better directed, they emote and get quiet moments and the delivery is good enough for you to genuinely believe them, even when they're doing dorky stuff like complaining about power converters.

Lucas originally wanted Kurtz and Kasdan to help him with the prequels and approached at least one director to direct the actors while he focused on the technical stuff (like it was in the OT), but Kurtz turned him down over spite left since RotJ, Kasdan encouraged him to take direct control of his baby and Lucas unfortunately decided on directing the actors himself. A shame, but it wasn't all bad.
>>
I saw all Star Wars movies and played pretty much all Star Wars games.
And I have to say I never enjoyed a single star wars movie, while the games are generally awesome.

I welcome any change to the movies.
>>
Overall I think I like ANH the best.
Empire was better technically and with dialog but the original Star Wars works so well as a self contained movie and has some of the best scenes. It's also the only one that felt like an actual vision instead of a platform for merchandise and profit.
>>
who is the best swordsman in star wars?
obi wan imo
>>
File: image.jpg (72 KB, 336x685) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
72 KB, 336x685
>>63112301

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVSz4KCqGZo
>>
>>63107005
>He has solid enough taste, from the small details I've given him I realized he imagined it at a star trek, very ploddimg, methodical pseudo science type of thing.

That's actually what I thought it would be before I saw it properly.
>>
>>63107548
>Dooku
Holy shit is he an underused villain. He'd honestly be the best villain in the series if they actually did shit with him.
>>
>>63108542
I'd disagree. It's bizarre seeing him as this whiny brat.
>>
>>63113261
It's Windu apparently but I've always thought Dooku.
>>
>>63106940
ANH >> ESB=ROTJ=ROTS >>>> TPM > TCW

I think the only film that can stand alone and is truly a masterpiece of story telling, world building, cinematography and special effects is ANH (especially when it was know as SW before it took the subtitle ANH)

The rest of the SW episodes are entertaining but nowhere near the quality of the original film

The good parts of ROTJ (like the special effects and the final space battle) are much better than the good parts of ESB but ROTJ has serious pacing issues and some bad exposition parts (the part where C3PO tells the story-so-far to the Ewoks is my lowest point in OT, the Ewoks are not good but they are not as bad as people make them out to be and you can mentally ignore them). ESB has also serious story, timeline and characterization issues and I didn't like the way the universe was expanded (force pull-and-push, telekinesis, Yoda, giant-space-slugs-in-meteorites) but it was entertaining (though when I rewatched it recently I found it more boring than both ROTJ and ROTS)

ROTS is a curious case. It's a much better film the rest of the PT but it still has many issues with the dialogue and the characterization but it has some great parts too, much improved special effects and strong emotional and memorable moments that make it really good and on par with ESB and ROTJ. I also love the way how it ties to ANH (yes, this may be nostalgia talking) and all in all is a great conclusion to the SW saga. I think it's mighty unfair to give George shit for ROTS because frankly there is nothing wrong with it.
>>
>>63114220
Very good post
>>
>>63114220
>>63106940
Niggers. What the fuck.

A New Hope is a kid's film. It was made as a kid's film. It is by far the worst of the OT, the only good things about it are Peter Cushing and, to a lesser extent, old Ben.
Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.