[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How much power did this guy have anyway?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 11
How much power did this guy have anyway?
>>
Unlimited
>>
So powerful that he needed a cane to walk.
>>
>>63053768

Almost unlimited power, but not quite
>>
enough to cheat death

he's still alive
>>
>>63053768
Over 9000, but under 10000.
>>
>>63053795
So did Yoda, but he could still fuck shit up.
>>
Could he beat Revan?
>>
>>63053768
In his older body, he was just just a big stronger than Vader.
If Vader had like an 8 in all stats Palps had 10 or 9 in all of them.

In the older EU he was almost as powerful as Anakin and Luke at their full potential.
Keep in mind though that this is partly because he put an entire planet into a coma with a Sith ritual and harnessed either their lifeforce or nightmares as extra power.
>>
>>63053768
Enough to stop treason
>>
A lot, given how he was able to hide himself from the Jedi despite having in person meetings with them on essentially a daily basis.

For something we were told about the Dark Side in the original trilogy about being the quick and easy way, this dude had a lot of patience.
>>
>>63053989
He's the most powerful Sith Lord in history. He could beat anyone except Luke.
>>
File: 1447804620921.gif (491 KB, 250x186) Image search: [Google]
1447804620921.gif
491 KB, 250x186
>>
File: Der-Grinch-4_article.jpg (28 KB, 590x437) Image search: [Google]
Der-Grinch-4_article.jpg
28 KB, 590x437
>>63054018
>Keep in mind though that this is partly because he put an entire planet into a coma
>>
File: 1448435679091.jpg (93 KB, 355x333) Image search: [Google]
1448435679091.jpg
93 KB, 355x333
>>63054120
THIS. And the fact that he seemed to have most of the Senate under his spell too.
>>
>>63054151
>except Luke
He outright beats Luke though
Anakin had to kill him, and Sheev probably didn't see that coming
>>
>>63054018

I'm so glad the EU isn't canon anymore.
>>
File: palpatine-anakin[1].jpg (12 KB, 370x235) Image search: [Google]
palpatine-anakin[1].jpg
12 KB, 370x235
Did you ever hear the Tragedy of Darth Bateman the Wise?

Darth Bateman was a Meme Lord so powerful and so wise he could use the Force to influence the midi-chlorians to create...dubs.
>>
Remember when he turned into a monkey lady for that one movie and then wasn't?
>>
For the most powerful guy in the galaxy he sure dressed like shit
>>
File: hqdefault[1].jpg (16 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault[1].jpg
16 KB, 480x360
>>63055763
Fuck you, Palpatine looks great in a black robe.
>>
>>63053768

He was incredibly powerful but sadly they never show it in the prequels. Lucas didn't know how to make the force interesting so instead of the Emperor having just a thousand insanely evil and creative force powers that he could use to just obliterate people he just shoots lightning and swings around a lightsaber like any other asshole.

It was better when the emperor was just an evil as fuck force wizard who probably spent all his time learning how to use the force better than anyone else and the force lightning was just a flashy party trick and not the ultimate ability.
>>
>>63054120
also the jedi where dumb enough to build their temple ontop of an ancient sith stronghold.

it helped cloud their vision
>>
Honestly the emperor in the prequel trilogies literally feels like a completely different character in every way from the character in the original films. In fact, all the characters do that are in both trilogies. Why am I even posting this, I should be in bed...what am I doing with my life.
>>
>>63055897

That's the whole reason why we had the face-melting scene in ep. III. There is a subset of the viewing audience that would not be able to make the connection that supreme chancellor palpatine was the same person as ancient evil as fuck hooded emperor palpatine in RotJ. If you listen to all the dialogue in Ep. III during that scene you quickly realize that there was no reason for him to melt his own face and it's all for the benefit of the audience.
>>
>>63053768
>>63055784

Why the fuck does the 1980's make-up look better. It's the same goddamn actor it should be -easier- to make him look old now that he is old. His monster-face isn't CGI so that isn't an excuse, what the fuck.
>>
>most powerful guy in the galaxy
>gets picked up and thrown into a pit by a robot
??
>>
>>63055955
It was cooler when it wasn't about literally having the highest power levels and just about political and emotional power over everyone else, including vader. That's what made him frightening in the old movies.
>>
>>63055952
Because Lucas is a fucking hack, it's also the reason why Palpatine looks way older in Episode 2 than in Episode 3.
>>
Enough to be able to spin
>>
>>63055926
I liked how he made out he'd been disfigured by the Jedi to get the senate's support.
>>
>>63055955
It's a shame he couldn't fly

>>63055952
They tried too hard to make him look deformed and monstrous. In the OT he just looked like age and corruption had weathered his appearance. The face-melting was bullshit
>>
>>63055996
No it didn't, having literal OP magic powers is more frightening than being an evil space illuminati.
You would be right if we never saw the Emperor but we do.
>>
>>63056002

>The senate will decide your fate
>I am the senate!

He didn't need to melt his own face, he could have literally showed up with a youngling, broke its fragile little neck in the middle of the senate, claim that his life was in danger, the youngling was about to kill him! And they would applaud and hoot and yell and do w/e he asked of them.
>>
>>63056026
The whole scene where he's belittling Vader about Luke and basically treating him like his little bitch was the most powerful he ever was in the entire two trilogies.
>>
>>63056053
No it was when he killed like six Jedi in front of Mace Windu.
>>
File: 1448175751890.png (202 KB, 354x374) Image search: [Google]
1448175751890.png
202 KB, 354x374
>Palpatine once fondly recounted an occasion from his youth when his father had bought him a state-of-the-art, prototype speeder, more as a bribe than a gift, but one he accepted, nonetheless. Indeed, the only time Palpatine thought well of the man who raised him was when they shared a cockpit together. This was not to last, however, as Palpatine would soon crash the machine, tragically killing two pedestrians in the process.
>>
>>63056077
From like a dragonball z shitty power levels perspective yeah, but I just meant from an actual good writing and personal investment into the character perspective no. I'm just making the point that Lucas missed the whole reason why the emperor was even an effective villain in the original trilogy by focusing too hard on the stupid lightning shit.
>>
>>63056104
kek
>>
>>63056123
I'm saying that even in the OT he wasn't menacing, he was just mysterious.
There was no reason to feel frightened or intimidated by him, Vader picks him up and tosses him into a pit like he's a school girl.
>>
>>63056145
I found him pretty scary as a kid
>>
>>63056104

>UNLIMITED SPEEDING
>>
>>63056145
I thought the idea of him having so much psychological power over Vader was a pretty cool way to show his skill as a sith. I can see how the visual of him being thrown as a ragdoll into the pit, but I never really saw the point of his character being someone that was supposed to physically intimidate anyone even with the blue cartoon lightning bolts. I gotta say, all this Sheev talk is really bringing me down.
>>
File: 1446609907964.jpg (115 KB, 1000x815) Image search: [Google]
1446609907964.jpg
115 KB, 1000x815
>>63056145

I remember getting scared when he was torturing luke when i was a kid.
>>
>>63056211

No reason to feel down he's still fucking awesome. But fuck prequel apologists. Those movies aren't just poorly made but they actively insult the viewer and the original material through just clumsy as fuck execution and stupid ideas.
>>
>>63056053
I know what you're saying. When I watched the prequels, even as a teenager I found Sheev taking on all those jedi with the spin to be retarded rather than intimidating. Like was him killing a bunch of no name losers supposed to be impressive? And then Dindu beat him. When I watched the OT when I was a bit younger, I found the emperor to be frightening, mostly because of how he treated Vader, who was supposed to be the big bad, and how he tortured Luke. I actually felt relieved when Vader threw his bony ass down the shaft, since he was dead.
>>
>>63056238

That robe looks comfy
>>
>>63056238
I'm getting the sheevers just thinking about it.
>>
>>63056211
>>63056238

The fact that vader was afraid of this guy, and the imperial officer was just filling his pants with shit when vader mentioned that the emperor was coming to the death star informed us the viewer about how powerful and scary this guy was. There's also the fact that he was really smart, he tricked the rebellion into falling into his trap, he managed to nearly turn luke, and the utter contempt he had for lightsabers was freaky because as far as us idiot kids were concerned those were the best weapons in the galaxy.
>>
>>63056271
top kek
>>
When I was a kid I always thought he just came from some creepy dark planet with a whole race of ugly pale motherfuckers like him. I remember thinking that that one weird russian vampire looking diplomat guy visiting him in ROTJ as like a relative or something. The prequels really killed the allure of his character.
>>
>>63056304

I always thought before I read anything that the dark side of the force was literally corrupting and killing him. Guess not, guess he melted his own face.
>>
>>63055996
>about political and emotional power over everyone else, including vader
You mean just like in the prequels?
>>
File: 1427555868743.jpg (148 KB, 962x755) Image search: [Google]
1427555868743.jpg
148 KB, 962x755
>Works written by Palpatine
>Absolute Power
>>
>>63055854
>He was incredibly powerful

Based on what? EU?
Besides for powerlevel fags it's not even necessary for Palpatine to be all that powerful, let alone the most powerful Sith that ever lived. He won his empire through manipulation. If he was that powerful he could've just bulldozed through the Jedi temple on his own and be done with the whole thing in one afternoon instead of playing the long con for 20 something years.
>>
>>63055997
>Lucas did the make up on his own
>>
File: Pimpatine.jpg (219 KB, 475x665) Image search: [Google]
Pimpatine.jpg
219 KB, 475x665
>>
File: 1448176513641.png (2 MB, 764x1294) Image search: [Google]
1448176513641.png
2 MB, 764x1294
>>
>>63058069
Well there was that time he stomped Maul and that other guy without even needing his lightsaber

Then again i don't watch Disney Clone Wars so i might be getting it wrong
>>
>>63053768
The way they killed him is one of the dumbest shits ever to be recorded.

Episode VI was just awful, worse than the prequels.
>>
>>63053776
underrated
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.