[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Roger Deakins the most overrated cinematographer currently
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 7
File: deakins.jpg (84 KB, 900x600) Image search: [Google]
deakins.jpg
84 KB, 900x600
Is Roger Deakins the most overrated cinematographer currently working?

Why does everyone love him so much?
>>
File: th-2.jpg (10 KB, 160x241) Image search: [Google]
th-2.jpg
10 KB, 160x241
>>
>>63002227
Every movie he shoots is beautifully shot. I don't think he's very overrated.
>>
He's done some good stuff. Probably not all that overrated.
>>
>>63002227
You're thinking of Lubezki.
>>
He's the favorite DoP of every single person who couldn't name another DoP. The neo-posters see the other cool kids spouting the "based Deakins" meme and then jump on the bandwagon.
>>
>>63002855
Another meme cinematographer
>>
I've loved all of the work he's done on those Coen Brother's movies. And Prisoners was great too. He's definitely one of the most competent and dependable cinematographers currently working.

But the way people talk about him it's like he's the greatest cinematographer of all time.

Skyfall had a few good shots but it had this weird excessively yellow color to it. Same thing with Sicario. It's intentional of course but it just rubs me the wrong way.
>>
He's very good at what he does. There are also quite a few other cinematographers who are very good at what they do. In that sense he might be overrated, but no one in their right mind would call him a bad cinematographer. Of course, this is /tv/, so it's silly to expect any more than posts like these >>63002938 >>63002895 (although the latter poster is right in a sense, as I already said, Deakins is popular, which, needless to say, doesn't make him any worse - which seems to be the implication in that post)
>>
real answer:

he's become a meme because of various top posts on reddit with stills from skyfall, prisoners, sicario, and other flicks theyve championed. 99% of those people don't know the names of any other DPs or really even know what a DP does, but they know they like those movies and the stills look Epic and the top comment is always "GIVE HIM AN OSCAR ALREADY HE KEEPS GETTING NOMINATED WITHOUT WINNING!!!" so theyve got an upboatable story to attach to him and voila hes a reddit darling. the cherry on top is the fact he worked on shawshank redemption which of course is the gold standard of cinema for these plebs
>>
>>63003105
God, some days I just want to load up on ammunition and go out into the world gunning down every single person who thinks the Shawshank Redemption is anything "great".
>>
What's /tv/s opinion on Wally Pfister?
>>
Give me your top ten DoPs senpaitachi

I want to educate myself
>>
>>63003105
Why do you guys hate reddit? It's a great website.
>>
>>63003026
You're right to call Lubezki overrated, but the reason i don't like him is that his cinematography honestly does nothing to communicate anything in the film beyond making beautiful wallpaper.

Why I like Deakins is that he is purely a storyteller, he's not looking to make a nice looking picture, he's looking to tell the story in the best way possible.

For example, in Sicario, when they are gearing up against the Sunset, the camera pans left directly against the sun, silhouetting the soldiers completely, as the walk towards the sun they walk down out of frame into the darkness. They are descending down into the darkness and into hell. Whatever the meaning might be, it's telling of the situation and the story, by implication, what they are doing is not moral in a sense.
>>
>everyone jumps on the reddit meme profession calling them "cinematographer"
>>
>>63003137
He's good, not great. Would like to see him work with a better director.
>>
>>63003170

Complaining about reddit on here is nothing more than thought policing and enforcing 4chan's hipster anti-mainstream viewpoint on users
>>
>>63003184

Such as?
>>
>>63003198
So if it's popular on 4chan to hate reddit, does that mean contrarians on here are going to flip flop and start liking reddit?
>>
File: sicario-roger-deakins.png (154 KB, 1440x598) Image search: [Google]
sicario-roger-deakins.png
154 KB, 1440x598
>>63003176
pic related.
>>
>>63003176
Beautiful images communicate feelings. Lubezki's work with Malick is visceral brilliance unless you're an autist.
>>
>>63003247
I feel that Tarkovsky was doing what Malick does now, but better and alot more competently.
>>
>>63003233

Pure contrarians like myself already have
>>
>>63003258
How can you be so wrong
>>
>>63003247
Lubezki's work on ToL was totally uninteresting and visually bland.
>>
>>63003403
How can a post be so useless
>>
>>63003440
You tell me, reddit
>>
>>63003438
>ToL
>visually bland

Say what you want about the story, or the themes, or the directing, whatever. But to say that ToL is visually uninteresting is borderline retarded. Get your vision checked m8
>>
>>63003105
Fun little aside: Going by analysis of every reddit comment made since 2007, the word "cinematography" doubled in use immediately following the release of Skyfall and has stayed consistent since. Deakins literally introduced the concept of cinematography to redditors.
>>
>>63003450
Hi 4chan!! xD
>>
>>63003468
It is though.

The imagery is utterly cliche. And the CGI dinosaurs are awful.
>>
>>63003622
Grossly misinformed.
>>
>>63003976
It seems you are grossly under-informed, if you don't see the imagery for the bag of cliches that it is.
>>
>>63003469

Except this happens all the time, the mainstream gets introduced to things through major Hollywood works. Remember when normal people found out that people are hired to specifically make music for trailers thanks to Inception?

This isn't some sort of inherently bad thing unless you're a SEKRIT KLUB shitposter who gets mad that people aren't born with this knowledge in their heads.
>>
/film/ when?
>>
>>63004393
never, the problem isn't the board's name
>>
>>63002597
this is the greatest film of all time.

t. 4channer
>>
>>63004441
*shits respectfully in your direction*
>>
>>63002227
most people understand that he's literally a meme cinematographer for directors with no artistic vision that want to be oscar nom'd and who have big budgets
>>
>>63004482
would you put up as a better cinematographer then?
>>
>>63004514
HOYTE VAN HOYTEMA

JOHN TOLL
>>
>>63004514
cinematography is a shared process between the director and the cinematographer

hoyte van hoytema and larry smith are both very good at working with directors as is lubezki (though malick as a director is shit as fuck)
>>
>>63004572
>though malick as a director is shit as fuck)

DUDE HOW RONG CAN YOU BE LMAO

DUDE DRUGS DONT ACTUALLY PROVIDE ANY INSIGHT THEY JUST MAKE THE MUNDANE SEEM DEEP LMAO

DUDE EGO DEATH IS A MEME LMAO

DUDE DRUG INDUCED EGO DEATH IS NOT REAL BECAUSE NOTHING CAN SEPERATE US FROM THE SUM OF OUR EXPERIENCES WITHOUT PERMANTENTLY DAMAGING THE BRAIN LMAO
>>
>>63004533
>>63004572

>HOYTE VAN HOYTEMA

Spectre practically made me cum in my pants.

>the entire boardroom scene

>even though the actual scene was shit, the entire part in Blofeld's African base
>>
>>63004533
ALSO TAK FUJIMOTO
>>
>>63004533
Deakins is better
You don't have to dislike everything popular, it's okay.
>>
>>63004693
no, it's not okay. Deakins' quality varies wildly from film to film.
>>
>>63004734
what movie would you say is Deakins at his worst? because I've seen all the great work he's but I'd like to see him at his worst.
>>
>>63004998
Skyfall and The Hurricane are pretty ugly.
>>
>>63004614
i was under the impression Deakins shot Spectre, but you're right.
>>
>>63005302
never seen The Hurricane, but Skyfall was really well shot, have no idea what you're talking about.
>>
>>63005349
Filters do not make movie well shot.
Also, Bond and digital don't mix.
>>
>>63005349
>Skyfall was really well shot,
You are obviously juvenile about cinematography.
>>
File: Prisoners_shot_08a.jpg (225 KB, 786x360) Image search: [Google]
Prisoners_shot_08a.jpg
225 KB, 786x360
Deakins is great though, one of the best ever.
>>
>>63005375
>filters

you don't know what you're talking about

>>63005385
well ok, define what you mean by ''ugly'', or point out specifically what you thought was wrong with the cinematography of Skyfall and then let's see if you have any actual arguments here.
>>
>>63003130
Preach fåm
I couldn't believe how average that cinèma was when I first saw it
>>
>>63005452
It is able to be appreciated by viewers without an education in film so it must be doing something lowbrow.
>>
>>63005462
epin fäm
>>
Was the tasteful but subtle use of windows and blinds in Spectre to address the underlying theme of privacy in the age of government spying cliché or brilliant?
Like for cliché, (you) for brilliant.
>>
File: Prisoners_shot_01b.jpg (178 KB, 786x360) Image search: [Google]
Prisoners_shot_01b.jpg
178 KB, 786x360
More analysis of Deakins' cinematography.

the plebs on /tv/ will of of course not get this kind of stuff.
>>
>>63005571
Double Penetration
>>
>>63005571
Directs the photography.
>>
File: Shadows.webm (3 MB, 1920x1040) Image search: [Google]
Shadows.webm
3 MB, 1920x1040
>>63003622
>The imagery is utterly cliche.
Do you know what cliche means?
>>
>>63005642
ayy lmao
>>
>>63005571
he does the cinematography.
>>
File: Enter_the_Void-474258286-large.jpg (150 KB, 1600x699) Image search: [Google]
Enter_the_Void-474258286-large.jpg
150 KB, 1600x699
Benoit is my main man.

Did you know EtV was lit exclusively with practical lights?
>>
ive been saying this too, deakins and chivo are fucking destroying cinema with their meme shots. the best cinematographers do NOT call attention to themselves.
>>
>>63005396
>>63005574
Where are these from? I don't mean the movie, I can read.
>>
>>63005997
>the best x do not call attention to themselves
That is a fucking meme statement.
Whether or not someone "calls attention to themselves" has nothing to do with how good they are at what they do, Jesus Christ.
What the fuck did you mean by that anyway?
>>
>>63005997
''call attention to themselves'' is a pretty subjective thing. but even then, deakins is pretty low on that list.
>>
>>63006014
some guys cinematography blog I think, just image search on google
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.