[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dystopia
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5
File: A-Clockwork-Orange-001.jpg (36 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
A-Clockwork-Orange-001.jpg
36 KB, 460x276
Why are we so obsessed with the portrayal of dystopian societies in film and other media?
>>
because we live in one f a m
>>
>>62998073
Because after watching it you say well my country isn't that shitty yet. Unless you're in the UK.
>>
>>62998115
This, we have to create even more insane societies so we pay less attention to how insane ours actually is.
>>
>>62998073
escapism. it's fun to imagine you're in a world better than your real one
>>
Because we've got a fetish for melancholy or else we wouldn't get through these dark, cold winters my friend.
All those utopia faggots blew their brains and we're all that's left.
>>
yfw social justice is going to lead us into a dystopian future.
>>
>>62998115
this and because they serve as cautionary tales, and good ones can be inspiring in their own ways.

sadness is one of the strongest emotions. the themes presented in these worlds help by appealing on many intellectual/psychological levels as well.
>>
>>62998073
Schadenfreude. We want to see exceptionally shitty worlds so we can feel better about our own shitty world.
>>
File: ZZ16828CD3.jpg (2 MB, 3360x2100) Image search: [Google]
ZZ16828CD3.jpg
2 MB, 3360x2100
>tfw 2019 is only a few years away
>tfw we actually live in a hellish dystopian future
>>
>>62998073
Would you go see a perfect future movie where everyone is happy, everyone listens to new age music and treats everyone as equals with no racism or anti-semitism, disease has been eradicated, money and crime dont exist?

Of course you wouldnt, you and everyone would think its boring, that is why we have dystopian movies.
>>
>>62998073
Whole books have been written on that subject,
I'd say they share the fears and anxieties of the (present) age, economic, sexual, familial, and expressing them in entertainment releases tensions and says "if we're smart, this will never come to pass." What this anon said, too.
>>62998126
>>
>>62998073
lack of freedom civilization creates: arbitrary laws, absurd exceptions to very obvious crimes (white collar crimes almost never prosecuted, celebs getting away with anything, political families and religious institutions able to get away with anything , meanwhile you shoplift a candy bar and get the full book thrown at you hard) the fact that we are all serfs to our masters: step out of line a little bit and you'll get fucked up by a very invasive system of cops, now ridiculous things like individuals violating copyrights and trademarks, when they started prosecuting kids who downloaded mp3s and shit, the new trade agreements replacing democracy with international corporate control.

People are always itching for bloody revolution, but they know it doesn't work and makes things worse, radical political parties can be even worse, communism failed at every turn and always slips into despotism, the fight for oil resources is getting hypocritically insane, all sides want to continue these middle eastern wars, so an 'alternative' political ideology simply does not exist.

Other than anarchy, the final expression of individualist ideology that we've been feeding our dumbshit kids for generations.
>>
>>62998291
One world government is the only answer.
>>
>>62998291
the problem is that anarchy is the only viable political possibility against getting rid of all forms of tyranny: it's also far more complicated than average voters can understand and the deliberative process requires rights for the majority (our republic generally has this), the strong minority (about 1/3 of the population, our republic doesn't distinguish this - we have first past the post system that is basically broken and only allows a tyranny of the majority and a two party system where both parties are more or less the same) and rights for the minority voices, which are actually ridiculed in American news media, not only do they have zero rights, it's almost legal to hunt them down (especially in media where the real trials seems to occur 'poetically', a total miscarriage of justice every news night) Individuals have virtually no rights if they have no money, and are above the fucking law if they have enough real estate assets or a big enough stock portfolio. Also, absentee non participants have zero rights.

This isn't a fair system, most of the citizens have no real political rights or ability to speak, not unless they pledge to one of the big parties or understand the codewords and doublespeak. We constantly disenfranchise the few voting rights people have (felons can't vote, getting caught with a little bit of pot can make you a felon - three strikes laws also tore the vote away from many americans) not to mention locally elected leaders can be suddenly powerless when the governor sends in 'emergency managers' for forcing austerity measures and killing public schools, basic services, etc. Something no one voted for, robbing locals of any of it's hard won autonomy.

US civilization is a decadent joke not dissimilar to ancient Rome. It is also a kleptocracy exactly like Russia is.
>>
File: 1448064966085.jpg (95 KB, 899x899) Image search: [Google]
1448064966085.jpg
95 KB, 899x899
>>62998073

Because it makes the current dystopia we're living in more palatable.
>>
>tfw society is headed straight downhill and there's no getting off this ride

I wish I never had an idealist period of my life. This is what I get for having faith in the Democratic Party.
>>
File: 1345684448448.gif (2 MB, 350x197) Image search: [Google]
1345684448448.gif
2 MB, 350x197
>>62998291
>>62998503
>>
>>62998815
i didn't write it for you. Sorry?

TLDR: you're retarded, the government knows it (and keeps you that way with underfunded public schools and expensive private schools) and you can't elect someone who cares about you to represent your interests. So you will get fucked.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.