[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The first episode of the Expanse is up on SyFy's website
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1
File: The-Expanse-on-Syfy.jpg (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
The-Expanse-on-Syfy.jpg
2 MB, 1920x1080
The first episode of the Expanse is up on SyFy's website and the Facebook right now.

Characters feels good. Effects are decent. All aboard the "this is the next BSG" hype-train.
>>
Samefagging myself to say that the best part for me was Alex's drawl. I had a hard time getting a voice for him in my head reading the books and this nailed it right away.

I'd love to hear some showfag opinions from people who haven't read the books at all, to see how easy it is to pick up.
>>
I read the first book, so far the show is doing well. Will watch.
>>
>>62971523
I didn't have trouble following anything, I'm used to weird sci fi space politics though. Reminds me a little of the Moon is a Harsh Mistress.
>>
>>62971399
Only figured out today that this was happening. Long time fan of the books, so excited. They are doing well so far, even though the CGI is mediocre.
>>
>>62971399
The space effects are fine but the cg set extensions are realllllllllly obvious
>>
Surprised there isn't more interest in this
>>
>>62971399
I just watched this and I'm already in love with it. 23rd century and everyone's still using rattletrap tech? Fuck you, Star Trek, this is the real deal.
>>
>>62971962

Hoping the first season takes off and they get some increased effects budget for S2

Like BSG you can tell a good chunk of the budget for this is going to the outer spaaaaaaaaaaaaace.
>>
>>62971523
Knew nothing of the book, episode seemed cool though. Did a good job bringing out the world, will give the season a chance.

Definitely more mature than Dark Matter (Which I didn't mind)
>>
>>62972332

One of my favorite parts of the book series is how natural the tech evolution feels. Everything is obviously more advanced than what we have now but there's nothing that you can't figure out how they got to like artificial gravity or deflector shields or any of that bullshit.

I can't wait for arm-mounted minigun shooting like 5000 rounds a minute.
>>
>>62972377

The book series is great. Fantastic mix between pulp and hard sci-fi. The books themselves are pretty long but you can plow through one in a couple sittings because the pacing is really good.
>>
>>62972395
>you will never have Martians torpedo your cute blonde subordinate waifu to death in front of you out in the middle of literally nowhere

Why even live?
>>
>>62972362
Good, the immersion into the environment the main cast has to live in is imperative to the storytelling. That they remembered to show genetic divergences from multiple generations living in space got me rock-hard while watching it. If they can maintain such attention to detail without cheesing it to cut costs, this is going to be the scifi hit show of the decade for me.
>>
when does this premiere on tv?
>>
>>62972395

I hope they cast Gwendoline Christie as Bobbie Draper. That part was basically written for her.

>TFW you'll never run around the solar system (and beyond) murking people with the help of a 6'6" amazon in power armor
>>
>>62972498

>you'll never start a full-on intra-solar-system war MULTIPLE FUCKING TIMES and get a well-paying job and a badass warship out of the whole thing with literally zero other consequences.

James Holden confirmed for based.
>>
>>62972636

>I hope they cast Gwendoline Christie as Bobbie Draper.

Um. Bobbie is Polynesian and THICK.
>>
>>62972553

Dec 14/15 is a two-night premiere, than every Tuesday.
>>
>>62972761

Huh. It's been awhile since I read the second book but yeah now I have no idea who should play her.
>>
>>62972395
Honestly, I feel the books are a pretty weak attempt at writing hard sci fi by two guys who lack the scientific background to come up with genuinely imaginative tech.
>>
>>62973645

I don't feel the books are an attempt at "hard" sci-fi. Sure, its a space-based story and not a "fantasy" like Star Wars, but the only science that really matters is all the gravity stuff they play with.

I like my space stuff either philosophical or just adventurey, not super-scientific. which is why this works for me.
>>
>>62972761
>>62973013

Yes, there's no way they could whitewash a character, that would be awful
>>
>>62973816
How is the Expanse not hard sci fi? The authors made a clear attempt at keeping most of the tech and mechanics realistic. It's a hard sci fi space opera.
>>
Looks like YA garbage.
>>
>>62973937
Hard SF isn't about realism, it's about consistency.

For example Greg Egan often writes stories set in universe with completely different physics from our own, but they are fully internally consistent.
>>
>>62974064
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_science_fiction
>Hard science fiction is a category of science fiction characterized by an emphasis on scientific accuracy or technical detail or both.
>>
>>62974064
Yes it is, you're dumb
>>
>>62974013
It's not.
>>
>>62974013

Based on what?
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.