[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is it that the best capeshit never has anything to do with
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 7
Why is it that the best capeshit never has anything to do with super powers?
>>
>>62970664
Superpowers are a cheap way to spend a third of the movie playing with them and having bad CGI.

But also, so far only one movie has shown how a superpowered fight would be and that was man of steel.
>>
It's pretty simple actually, it's just that it's easier to creat a bond of empathy with the character.
It's easier to relate to a man fighting for personal justice than to a super alien who is almost invincible.
>>
Because capeshit at it's best is used to tell human stories. The less human the protag the less relatable the story is.
>>
okay, post some examples please OP
>>
>>62970699
I guess this sums it up pretty well.

Does anyone even relate to characters like Thor or Supes?
>>
>>62970664
Daredevil has superpowers, though.
>>
>>62970727
I thought he just trained himself to see heat.
>>
>>62970664
Daredevil was super-powered by the radiation that blinded him. Bad example, faggot.
>>
>>62970742
Nope. He's what Marvel calls a mutate.
Someone who wasn't born with superpowers like mutants, but got them through weird circumstances. Radioactive spiders and whatnot.
>>
>>62970727
>>62970742
>>62970753
>>62970768
Depends on the version of Daredevil.
It ranges from him relying on his other senses to a greater degree, through having his senses heightened to superhuman levels, all the way to having superhuman agility.

I believe in the MCU it's somewhere around the middle area - I recall dialogue where he says he can smell the cologne on a man two floors down.
>>
File: 1440534580647.jpg (7 KB, 210x208) Image search: [Google]
1440534580647.jpg
7 KB, 210x208
>>62970726
I do
>>
Batman is supernatural in a way because he's all but the best of what a human could be, a natural Steve Rogers that doesn't seem to need to sleep or constantly keep up with abilities you'd need several groundhog day type situations to excel at the way he does. He's about as human and realistic as James Bond.

Daredevil meanwhile has superpowers. But the way Frank Miller (and emulating writers) and the recent show treated his powers and his life, he's arguably the more realistic character of the two. Despite having beyond human sense, metabolism and reflexes, Matt has to deal with and gets fucked up by mundane shit that characters like Batman (or Bond) just tend to brush off.
>>
>>62970880
When will Marvel make a Bond movie?
They've already bought the rights from DC.
>>
The Dark Knight is terrible capeshit.
>>
Because they focus on characters instead of special effects and explosions. That's why the mcu movies are so inferior to those two
>>
>>62970664

hulk 2003 was good though
>>
File: unbreakable_bd3_gross~01.jpg (95 KB, 1070x805) Image search: [Google]
unbreakable_bd3_gross~01.jpg
95 KB, 1070x805
>>62970692
You can still do superpowers but have it grounded in reality.
>>
>>62970934
lol nooooo
>>
>>62970969

better than the dark cock
>>
>>62970664
because you can't magic your way out of a shitty plot hole with non-powered heroes.
>>
>>62971001
Did you not see the The Dark Knight Rises?
>>
>>62970980
no it fucking wasnt

The movie spends too much time setting up some bullshit how the gamma accident just amplified what was already in his genes. The scene transitions are so terrible. "Its a comic book movie so you gotta have comic panels" its a fucking movie, if you wanna make a comic, go do that.

Nick Nolte is just fucking hilarious, especially in the 3rd act. And the final act being a.....feelings bubble, is so god damn stupid
>>
Black Mask had superpowers and it's the best capeshit to date. The Shadow had superpowers and it's in the top 5 capeshit movies ever made. The Mystery Men had superpowers and it's the best capecomedyshit.
>>
>>62971028

it looked cool though
>>
>>62971050
What are you referring to?
>>
>>62970904
They already did. It's called Winter Soldier. Take out the superpowers and you have your classic espionage thriller of world domination.
>>
>>62971064

just the visuals and shit
>>
>>62971030
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP8rEbkWZbE
>>
>>62971085
The Hulk's model was great, the the way it moved was off
>>
>>62971075
Take out the superpowers in Ant-Man and you have a classic caper. Take out the Marvel ties from Guardians of the Galaxy and you have an entertaining space opera. The benefits of the marvel model is that, like in the comics, they can finally make capeshit that, like the comics really do, don't just really on capeshit tropes to get by. Rather than being superhero stories, they are other kind of stories with a superpower flavor.
>>
>>62971028
I have no qualms when a movie tries to be itself and do something different. Remember that in 2003 superhero movies were still testing the waters of what could be done and what couldn't.

Also, the struggle between father and son seems pretty realistic to me. Also, Bana as the sensitive nerd was much more believable than the two iterations that followed.

The scene when he's on top of a jet and loses consciousness is just beautiful, showing his good side even whilst Hulk, and how, inside, there is a struggle that will never be resolved.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcErxv1BkcI
>>
File: 1446954792039.jpg (47 KB, 618x360) Image search: [Google]
1446954792039.jpg
47 KB, 618x360
>>62970965
came in here to post this
>>
>>62971146
I do agree that there should be some deep philosophical things about emotions in a Hulk movie. it cant just be action all the way through. But it has to be balanced out perfectly. Making a good Hulk movie is difficult

Also Ang Lee has gone on saying he wish he had more fun with the movie.
>>
>>62971107
Neither Hulk film was tops, but I'd take Ang Lee's clusterfuck over Edward Norton's vanity project every day of the week. Ang Lee was actually in tone with what was going on in the comic at the time and did the characters more justice, despite being a trainwreck made in an obnoxious way by overusing a recent editing gimmick better left for DVD menus. EdHulk was all about, I don't know, seeing Asian Hulk (ironic considering Ang Lee mocaped Hulk in the 2003 version) fight a turd of an Abomination that treated that character about as well as Deadpool got treated in Origins.
>>
>>62970965
Great movie, but that is a one off
>>
>>62970664
Vigilanteshit>Powershit
>>
>>62971357
Probably because plebs didn't understand it when it came out, neither did the studio, & they marketed it as a thriller of some sort. It wasn't a flop, but not a real success either. Which is a shame because today its considered by many as the best cape shit ever.

And thats how a planned trilogy becomes a one off & drives the man who directed/wrote it on the road to total mediocrity. But we still get crap like a million marvel & DC turds by the dozens. Some good, some terrible, but they keep shitting them out regardless.
>>
File: watchmen.jpg (58 KB, 485x720) Image search: [Google]
watchmen.jpg
58 KB, 485x720
>>62971845

>considered by many as the best capeshit ever

nope.
>>
>>62970816
He is a mutate in Earth 616 and MCU.
Don't know which other Marvel universes you're referring to.
>>
>>62970726
You're not really supposed to relate to Thor beyond maybe dynastic family values. Nobody really cares about Donald Blake desu

As for Superman he has the immigrant thing and Clark Kent in general.
>>
>>62970726

I relate to Supes.

tfw balding at 25 ;_;
>>
>Punisher appearing soon in DD
>Ironfist confirmed to be still happening
>>
>>62971880
Spotted the underage
>>
>>62971880
>Watchmen
>best
/tv/ really does have shit taste
>>
>>62971880
But why the awkward 10 minute sex scene?
>>
>>62970664
>>
>>62971898
I said nothing of universes, I said versions.
Daredevil's powers are incredibly inconsistent across his various writers.
Contrast Lee to Conway to Miller to Soule.
>>
>>62971143
That is how i felt about guardians. I was happy to se a new space opera. I hope the next one is less MCU and more standalone.
>>
Because capeshit is shit.
>>
>>62972054
At the core he has always been blind batman though.
>>
>>62971935
I'm terrified these seasons will be awful considering the tumblr shitfest Jessica Jones was.
>>
>>62970742
>is dis nigga serious
>>
File: Resurrection of the Thread.jpg (62 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
Resurrection of the Thread.jpg
62 KB, 312x445
>>62971880

Good, not best.

The best Capeshit was probably Spider Man 1 and 2, 2 having the edge.

I've noticed that the best capeshit is always contained in its own Universe, with no one from the larger world of the source material; Nolan's Batman, Spider man 1&2, Watchmen to a lesser degree.
>>
File: spider man.jpg (281 KB, 700x380) Image search: [Google]
spider man.jpg
281 KB, 700x380
>>62974187

also, credit to X-Men. Overall the strongest franchise I think.
>>
>no superpowers
>more realistic baddies

>superpower
>supervillans have to exist to evil the playing field or else it would be boring
>>
>>62971955
Punishing you to force your mommy to watch your trash
>>
>>62970664
This thread reminds me of Nightman. That sexy theme song...
Remake pls
>>
>>62971880
BOOK
WAS
BETTER
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.