[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs Was Lucas literally mentally
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 9
File: George_Lucas_cropped_2009.jpg (143 KB, 604x797) Image search: [Google]
George_Lucas_cropped_2009.jpg
143 KB, 604x797
>Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs
Was Lucas literally mentally challenged?
>>
>>62920607
What was wrong about that line?
>>
I thought it was suppose to show that Han was a bullshitter?
>>
No, he was literally a marketing genius and deserves all the billions he made.
>>
>>62920619
Parsecs are a unit of distance, not time.

But it's a throw away line in an adventure film so who cares.
>>
>>62920607
A lot of people are mentally challenged for not having the common sense to analyze what was said. The Kessel run was a route that took 18 parsecs due to maneuverability and avoiding obstacles. The Millennium Falcon was a better ship and cut it down to 12.

Please leave cancer.
>>
>>62920658
The explanation is pretty neat. Kessel is a black hole and he got within 12 parsecs of it.
>>
>>62920658
>>62920677

i thought he takes a shortcut through a black hole to lower the distance to 12 parsecs
>>
>>62920665
>>62920677
Wrong

>>62920626
This is the right answer.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Parsec
>>
>>62920677
Umm, no? The Kessel Run is a known route used by smugglers. I don't remember how long it was, but it was measured in parsecs. If it was like 30 parsecs, how could you do it in less than 12?
>>
If the Kessel Run is getting from point A to point B there's no reason why he can't do it in less parsecs than anyone else.
>>
>>62920658
Han found a shortcut that most didn't know about.

What is your problem with that?
>>
>>62920709
>>62920665
That proves what we said dipshit
>>
>>62920753
>Screenwriter George Lucas claimed the seeming gaffe in the film was intentional, showing that Han was something of a bull artist who didn't always know precisely what he was talking about.[4]

>Within the Expanded Universe, Kevin J. Anderson later retconned an explanation:
fuck off retard
>>
File: kesselrun.jpg (27 KB, 540x278) Image search: [Google]
kesselrun.jpg
27 KB, 540x278
Read the fucking script. It's intentionally wrong.
>>
>>62920784
Daily celebration that the EU is confirmed for into the trash it goes
>>
>>62920607
Actually Lucas realized that due to relativity, and with an appropriate choice of units distance and time can both be expressed in meters and thus parsecs.
>>
How much is it in midichlorians?
>>
>>62920875
An exponential number that's impossible to comprehend.
>>
ITT people who don't understand a damn thing about how hyperspace travel in Star Wars works.
>>
>>62920970
I don't think Lucas understood how it works, to be honest family.
>>
>>62920992
Pretty much everything you need to know about it is either outright stated, or could be inferred, from dialogue in A New Hope.
>>
>>62920970
>>62920992
>>62921044
It doesn't matter how it works. All "hyperspace" means is that they get some where fast so the plot can progress.
>>
>>62920808
>Read the fucking script. It's intentionally wrong.

That is not the actual shooting script. The various ANH scripts floating around usually have been revised to fit what was shown onscreen.
>>
>>62920808
>master bullshitter
>makes easy to recognize mistake
I'm the best uber driver in town, I can take you there in 500 meters!
>>
File: image.jpg (22 KB, 202x250) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
22 KB, 202x250
I'm going to lay it out real fucking simple for you autists.

The Kessel Run is littered with black holes. In order to successfully make the run, ships must maneuver around the black holes at a minimum safe distance. This maneuvering adds total distance traveled to the run. Minimum safe distance is determined by the starship's speed. IE: if a ship is faster it needs a smaller minimum safe distance. The black hole's event horizon is actually relative depending on the capabilities of the craft. The millennium falcon was fast enough to brush closely up against the black holes in the minimize the total distance traveled for the run.

Duh
>>
>>62920748
Because the whole reason he said it was to demonstrate that his ship wasn't trash. Going down some shortcut is something literally any ship can do. If anything, finding said shortcut is just a testament to his skills as a pilot
>>
>>62921386
>Within the Expanded Universe, Kevin J. Anderson later retconned an explanation
FUCK OFF RETARD
>>
>>62921386
>EU explanation
N O N C A N O N
>>
>>62920875
about tree fiddy
>>
File: relcap.png (100 KB, 887x727) Image search: [Google]
relcap.png
100 KB, 887x727
>>62920841
see Loocas has read undergrad physics, what a visionary
>>
>>62920607
>was
>>
>>62920607

a galaxy is just like a solar system, the stars have orbits around other stars and the galactic core

so distances between stars is always changing just like distances between planets in our solar system

if you're trying to break a speed record you're going to try do the trip at the most opportune time, therefore the closest distance, but as your ship is going there the opportune distance is slipping away because the planets are now moving away from each other while you're en route...

this dilation can be reduced by speeding up your ship of course

the fastest ship can take the best advantage of opportune windows in orbits, so not only it has the fastest speed, but it enjoyed the closest distance..
>>
>>62922024

bamp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4Gs7creP5E

how star orbits work
>>
Yes George Lucas is fucking autistic. It's been long established. His son is also fucked up in the head. Pic related.

>tfw if we lived in Hitler's society people like Lucas would be euthanized
>>
>>62921552
Most likely, the shortcut was through an asteroid field, which showcased the incredible maneuverability of the Falcon.

This was demonstrated in ESB.
>>
>>62920731
In the EU they explained it that the Kessel Run took them around some black holes or something, and he flew closer to them than anyone else or something like that. Idk, it's a kind of BS retcon explanation, I think the simplest answer is >>62920626
Han thought Obi-wan was an old fool who wouldn't know what Han was talking about, so Han decided to just bullshit.
>>
File: image.jpg (23 KB, 205x257) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
23 KB, 205x257
>>62920607
> be Han Sollo
> go to the Kessel Run for the first time
> hope I get free crab legs to share with my falcon
> "first you must pass penis inspection"
> fucking take out my 12 parsecs
> everybody amazed
> make friends to hairy dogman
>>
>>62920705

Lucas said han is a bullshitter and said a lot of things he didn't understand.

They retconned it to being the blackhole Maw, near the planet Kessel.

This is the one case I like Lucas' version better.
>>
>>62920607
You don't know what he meant by that though. Space travel in Star Wars is weird, you can't just go in a straight line, only some parts of space you can you use hyperspace in and you have to follow the right hyperspace lane or you get stranded. Han might have been talking about how he's really good at mapping hyperspace routes so he does the run in less space than other people.
>>
>>62921340
Kekd legit
>>
File: kessel.gif (73 KB, 367x506) Image search: [Google]
kessel.gif
73 KB, 367x506
>>62920607

His explanation for it was good, better than what it got retconned to.

He said Han Solo was full of shit sometimes and didn't understand what a parsec was.

This is exactly how the cantina scene where Luke/Obi met Han felt. He was clearly saying anything he could to get the money to pay off Jabba.

Kessel has always been an planet. They later added a black hole near it (the Maw) so that they could change the explanation. But it didn't need to be changed bc it was perfect.
>>
>>62924874
Top lek
>>
File: misinformation.jpg (18 KB, 484x114) Image search: [Google]
misinformation.jpg
18 KB, 484x114
>>62920626
This. Are the people who make threads like this trolling or did they really not see the sheer look of utter disbelief on Obi-wan's face? Han was bullshitting and he saw right through it. It's even in the script.

The EU writers who felt the need to explain the line as anything other than an intentionally nonsensical joke are too autistic to read simple human emotions.
>>
>>62926689
Whoops,sorry, this anon beat me to it>>62920808

I'll actually read the thread next time.
>>
if a parsec is based on the astronomical unit, which is the distance from the Earth to the sun, how does it exist in the Star Wars universe?

is there an autistic EU explanation for this?
>>
>>62926797
Because we can at least recognize that it's an astronomical unit. If he had said he could make it in 12 kerblapples, we wouldn't know what the fuck to think. Just accept that it's a word that means the same thing to them it does to us, for no real reason, just like every other English word they use.
>>
>>62927000

like for instance, "Falcon"

or even "hell"
>>
>>62920607
No. Han was. Han didn't know what he was talking about.
Autists like you didn't understand that tho and made up bullshit reasons why what he said was correct.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.