[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I just marathoned the first episode of this. It seems like
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6
File: latest[1].jpg (119 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
119 KB, 800x600
So I just marathoned the first episode of this.
It seems like a good survival series but whats with the shoehorned in paranormal shit?

And is it worth investing my time into seeing all 6 seasons?
What did you guys think of it?
>>
Is marathoning a single episode a thing?

Anyway its more of a paranormal series than a survival series.
>>
it's ok. lots of shit episodes because of the writers and network. 8/10
>>
i stopped watching because of the fucking cliffhangers and random mysteries that would pop up only to get solved 2 seasons later, and fucking smokemonster
>>
Keep on watching if you want increasing disapointment every season and an ending that feels like someone shat in your mouth.
>>
>>62904099
Just stop watching at the end of season 4 and it'll seem fine.
>>
File: legojobcenter.png (639 KB, 1024x589) Image search: [Google]
legojobcenter.png
639 KB, 1024x589
the first season is fantastically done. every episode is a mystery -- where are they, what's going on, who's in charge, what's with the hatch, what's with the polar bear, etc.

the second season is boss because it introduces desmond, who is probably the best character in the entire show. It starts to very slowly fill in the background of the island while retaining a ton of intrigue.

the third season is a noticeable downhill slide. episodes seem less grand, less compelling. you care less about the characters despite having more and more backstory.

the rest of the show is just uninteresting as it tumbles down a cliff of stupid. realism and verisimilitude are thrown out the window. none of the characters seem interesting anymore, they just seem like reasons to get to the next plot line.

i watched all of lost and i wish that the show had become firefly'd after the second season. it would've been remembered far, far, far better than it did when it finally dragged its tortured corpse across the finish line.
>>
>numbers not explained
>walt being special not explained
>the flash sideways/alternate universe shit in s6 not explained
>whats the deal with the bad luck shit?
>why were some people sent to the past and some not while they were all on the same flight
>what was the point in the stealing babys thing
>where was jacks dads body
>what was the shit written on the hatch wall in blacklight

so many fucking questions and enigmas that go nowhere and arent answered at all
that coupled with hundreds of flashbacks, flash forwards, flash sideways and time travel make it a chore to follow

watch season 1-3 and then drop it completely.
>>
>stop watching after boone dies.
>skip every sayid/charlie/claire centric episode
>enjoy a good season 1
>>
What the fuck did this even mean?
I feel like it was meant to give all the answers and it was just never explained

Its been so many years since i've watched lost though.
>>
>>62904099
First few seasons are good, then it goes downhill.
>>
File: fm0f3rh.png (952 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
fm0f3rh.png
952 KB, 1280x720
>>62904376
I feel like this shit is happening in the leftovers. All this time spent on exploring/building/ruining relationships and "moving on with life"

I just want these motherfuckers to start asking questions about the fuckweird shit going on so I can get some fucking answers.

I hate it when you can tell they're just making shit up as they go.
>>
>>62904376
all of these were explained except for the location of jacks dads body which is irrelevant.
>>
File: 1327842074221.jpg (14 KB, 150x174) Image search: [Google]
1327842074221.jpg
14 KB, 150x174
>>62904099
>So I just marathoned the first episode of this.
What?
Also LOST is goat from start to finish.
I recently got a friend to watch it for the first time. Literally she got through the entire series in under a week, she loved it. You'll love it too. Just don't google anything.
>>
>muslim guy has relationship with blonde white girl in it
dropped it at season 1 tbqh
>>
>>62904637
nigga there are over 120 episodes at an hour each . how tf did she watch the entire series? bull af
>>
>>62904376
DUDE YOU SUCK
Numbers were not explained, so you have to conclude it was an extension of the coincidence/fate theme, like characters popping up in each other's flashbacks.
Walt being special was explained, it was for the same reason miles, desmond and hurley were special.
flash sideways was quite explicitly addressed, so maybe you didn't actually finish the show, or didn't pay attention. Or maybe you're just dumb.
Hurley's crazy.
This was also answered explicitly. Multiple times in fact. Holy shit, did we watch the same show? The island kills pregnant women and their kids, Ben's mom died in childbirth, therefore Ben is especially concerned with solving fertility issues in his role as leader. That Danielle and Claire each gave birth makes them significant and worthy of study.
This was deliberately not addressed. Presumably it flew out of the coffin during the crash. It's not significant.
See:
>>62904476
radzinsky drew it up when he was in the hatch post-purge so that there'd be some record of the dharma initiative that couldn't be accessed easily. He later collaborated on it with kelvin inman, who continued it after radzinsky's death up until his own death where presumably desmond didn't continue it.
>>
>>62904099
>And is it worth investing my time into seeing all 6 seasons?

totally worth it.. It's still held up as one of the better tv shows made and now a person can knock back the entire series in whatever time frame they want. That pays off for shows like this where everything is building on past eps. Great show for netflix streaming now. Totally shitty show to watch over the course of 6 season while being lied too by the show runners.

6 years and the entire time the writers would keep saying how it was grounded in real science and it was not about death or anything like that. They had a plan and it was going to be all wrapped up.

bunch of magazine write ups about how they were going to explain stuff as the show ended. TON of online rabble as fans, believing it was all ground in science, tried to figure out what was going on. Oh but that was all BS. They never wrapped up entire chunks of story line or told us what this or that really was in the show. Plus the show shifted to this good vs evil, death vs life etc etc crap that they flat out said early on it was not going to be about.

it felt like we all got trolled... for 6 years.
>>
>>62904717
Dunno. I'd wake up every morning to about 50 facebook messages of her reacting to various things. She definitely watched the whole thing in under a week.
>>
>>62904362
I agree with this.
>>
>jacks dad is the smoke monster
>smoke monster cant leave the island
>jacks dad is magically in LA talking to jack

they cant their own rules. they just make up shit as they go along.
dont bother watching this shit OP
>>
>>62904729
>6 years and the entire time the writers would keep saying how it was grounded in real science and it was not about death or anything like that.
No they didn't. Like literally, this isn't at all true, it was at least not said by Darlton. iirc they always tried to draw people away from too much science in 'answers', like people suggesting the monster was a cloud of nanobots.
>They had a plan and it was going to be all wrapped up.
And they did. They had the big picture worked out from the beginning, you can tell that much both from interviews in season one and from the use of the light in season one, and the centrality of the light's effects on characters and characters' communion with the light. It meanders through seasons 2 and 3 with DHARMA/others mythology, but only because ABC wouldn't let them set an end date. So then they pulled shit out of left field in seasons 4 and 6 to wrap up as much of that mythology stuff before getting back to the big picture (flash sideways, protecting the heart of the island, candidacy) stuff in season 6.
>>
File: pilot.jpg (97 KB, 400x886) Image search: [Google]
pilot.jpg
97 KB, 400x886
>>62904836
Dude i have this pic of you on my computer lol
>>
>>62904836
>jacob can the leave island and talk to people but the smoke monster cant

its cos the writers are hacks, anon.
>>
>>62904362
Good post have an upvote.
>>
Is this a thinly veiled bait thread? Or are you just a genuine retarded 15 year old who feels the need to announce to the world what they are doing? Either way fuck off to reddit faggot
>>
>>62904843

I get that you like the show, and there is a lot to love about it, but the way in which the writers progressed these plotlines and cliffhangers that demanded specific answers felt arbitrary, convoluted and lazy. The entire last season felt like "oh shit, we need to wrap this up somehow". Even if many things were explained, they clearly weren't planned out thoroughly enough in advance.

I'm all for figuring things out but this was the blight of LOST. It's not clever to lure audiences, it's a shit move.
>>
Anyway OP, contrary to the casuals itt, virtually everything on lost was answered. There are a few loose, unimportant ends (what was with the mark they gave Juliet? Why was it so bad? What were the noises the smoke monster made?), but with a bit of common sense 99% of them can be answered. For instance, nobody ever sits down and explains the polar bears straight to the camera, but from context clues you can gather that
>DHARMA genetically modified polar bears to survive tropical climates
>so they could be trained at the hydra station
>so they could remain in the ice cavern underneath the orchid
>and do complex tasks with the donkey wheel for the purposes of dharma experiments
But, in all likelihood, you won't be interested enough in the show to gather all this information together. Like most people in this thread. It's just the way it is, lost is vague on a number of pints and people take it to mean lost is absent of all answers. From point zero the creators said they didn't want to go down what they called the 'midichlorian' route, where heavyhanded explanations ruin the rich mythology rather than enhance it. So if you're expecting a handhold-y, straightforward mythology, you're better off watching star trek or buffy or something.

On the other hand, Lost as a character driven show (hurr durr muh characters) is out-fucking-standing. It remains the only piece of fiction that moves me to tears even now. Like when Jin and Sun reunite, or pretty much whenever the first few bars of life and death pick up on the distance, it's very hard to keep a stiff upper lip.

5/5, would recommend, but if I'm being real you probably won't like it.
>>
>>62904942
I actually 110% believe that the light was planned from that first twenty minute meeting.
http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/The_Genesis_of_Lost
Read from:
>Damon Lindelof: After the meeting, I went home
>>
>>62904362
Even if I, for whatever reason, was willing to agree with the rest of your post, are you seriously going to tell me that you thought the second half of season 3 and all of season 4 were bad?
Get some taste.
>>
>>62904099
>marathoned
>one episode
K.
>>
Fuck Lindelof
>>
>>62905018
that's horseshit. lindelof recounted that meeting elsewhere and they were unsure of even the most basic idea of the show, let alone season six twists. lindelof thought the show could maybe be a 12-episode miniseries if it was made at all. he went to that meeting because he wanted to suck up to abrams to get a job writing for alias. abrams, in turn, bailed on the project extremely early to do mission impossible.

they probably said, while working on the pilot, something like "let's maybe do a light vs darkness thing kinda like the stand" but that's hardly a plan. why is it so important if they had a plan anyway? the show is the show, it should be able to defend itself whatever their intentions and plans were.
>>
>>62904099
the problem with watching lost now is that the show was mostly a social phenomenon with the actual episodes as a mere footnote. it could be mildly entertaining to watch it now but you won't get why it was such a phenomenon.

watching the new episode was 10% of the fun, the rest was going crazy about it with your friends/online or watching other people have meltdowns over it and produce inane theories. actually mentally disturbed conspiracy theorists would come out of the woodwork and write walls of texts about how the show was going to finally reveal to the world the truth about the jews/reptillians/hollow earth etc. even seemingly rational fans would study screencaps of the hatch map with an expectation that it would reveal something transcendent. shit was religious.

now the main emotion that i would associate with lost is mild embarrassment. nobody wants to talk about it. when they do, it's the same stale "did they have a plan or did they make it up as they went along, did they answer the questions" debate like the one in this thread. it's not even about the show, it's a meta-discussion about disappointment. the show was a footnote to its own fandom and now the fandom is dead.
>>
LOST is literally the best TV Series of all time.

If you disagree you're a pleb and your opinion is worth nothing.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.