[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do I feel Godfather part 2 not so good as part 1?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: 1418318233159.jpg (18 KB, 460x288) Image search: [Google]
1418318233159.jpg
18 KB, 460x288
Why do I feel Godfather part 2 not so good as part 1?
>>
>>62878889

A minor side story completely overshadowed the main story.
>>
The lighting is royally fucked.
>>
>>62878908
>minor side story
no, pleb
>>
>>62878931
That was intentional though
>>
>>62878931
The piss filter worked great thougg
>>
>>62878889
Cause you're a pleb

They're two parts of the same movie not to be viewed separately. G1 is the rise G2 is the fall.
>>
>>62880876
>G1 is the rise G2 is the fall.

Not really, that's too simplistic. Both films have elements where the Corleone family is challenged or faces setbacks, and both show them becoming more prosperous.

G1 examines the concept of The Sins Of The Father, where the actions of parents reverberate through the treatment of and eventual behaviour of their children.

G2 shows how these events were borne of necessity. We don't see Vito as being a psychotic killer - he kills what's his name from necessity - either Mr White Suit dies, or Vito will spend his whole life struggling to get by in a shitty NY ghetto.

G2 is quite sympathetic to the mafia thing - saying they did it out of necessity, to escape violent pasts and because their situations demanded it.

The later parts in Cuba, where things start to disintegrate with Fredo's treachery are like a synthesis of American Capitalism becoming decadent - everything is sex clubs and drink and backstabbing for wealth. G3 is about state-level corruption.
>>
>>62878889
Because 1 is superior to 2.
>>
>>62881016
Right I agree with what you wrote. I'm talking specifically about Michael's status relative to his father. Part 1 shows him committing numerous crimes and breaking ethical codes to emulate his father and become the new "Godfather," Part 2 shows how Michael deviates from his Father's path by forgetting to focus on family above all else. The Robert de Niro flashbacks exist to contrast Vito's focus on his family with Michael's paranoia and vengeful character.

Part 3 shows how Michael comes to realize the pointless decadence of wealth without love and family and suggest that there is no escape from crime, no real "legitimate" business--even the Church is infested with the same evil as the Mafia. Thus we see the final failure of Vito's idealistic dream when he tells Michael he wants him to, "Be a Senator or something," at the end of Part 1. They are both vindicated to some extend by the artistic success of Michael's son, who offers an alternative to the pursuit of power in favor of the pursuit of love.

Honestly Part 3 is greatly underrated. Sophia Coppola shouldn't have been in it but the rest of it is quite good.
>>
>>62878889

Because you just watched part 1 & 2 for the first time and came to post this.

Watch part 2 couple times and you will realise why it's superior.
>>
>>62881175
This is true. It definitely takes a few viewings to grasp 2's brilliance.
>>
Part II is riddled with shit for pacing because Coppohack had to stuff some bullshit sob story of Vito in there too.
>>
Marlon Brando's entertaining mumbling is missing from part 2. Really though, they are part of the larger story and the book spans both movies if I remember correctly.
>>
>>62881149
Yes, true. And I agree G3 is sort of underrated. It absolutely would be as good as the others, but Sophia Coppola was like a big dog shit dropped into the middle of every frame. It takes you out of the action every time she tries to monotone her way through her scripted lines.

In G2, I see Michael's paranoia and vengeance as basically justified within that world. If Vito was "right" to kill the Don, then Michael was right to have Fredo killed too. He was dangerously stupid and his treachery put everyone in real danger and had he carried on he would have eventually led to their doom. His death was like an amputation of an infected limb - painful, but beneficial.

I like how the series of films has ripples of similar or recurring themes that keep re-emerging in different situations. So my post was just pointing out that the series doesn't have a linear progress.
>>
>>62878889
Because it's not.
>>
File: godfather222.jpg (13 KB, 236x354) Image search: [Google]
godfather222.jpg
13 KB, 236x354
one word

dumb hat
>>
>>62881930
are you trolling? That was two words.
>>
>>62883229
two words

baited
>>
G1 is simpler and more cohesive. G2 meanders about on different things and is harder to follow. G1 also has a higher density of iconic quotes, scenes, and characters.
>>
>>62878889
Part one is the pleb favorite
>>
>>62878889
That's the critical consensus though.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.