[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is the trippy stoner "adult swim after 1 a.m." anti-humor
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 4
Is the trippy stoner "adult swim after 1 a.m." anti-humor market really that big?
>>
humor changes with time
I personally don't think a lot of 30s style slapstick shit is funny at all
>>
agreed, felt like they were trying to hard to make the show funny, it ended up just looking stupid.
>>
>>62821076
Tim and eric, china, il, steve brule, xavier renegade angel, and all that other weird shit is not only not funny, it is unwatchably tedious
>>
>>62821033
The Eric Andre Show is the greatest comedy series of the past 30 years.
>>
>trippy stoner "adult swim after 1 a.m." anti-humor

I hate this kind of shit. The new Mr. Show episodes aren't this style at all, and for being out of the game for awhile they're still pretty fucking funny. You never liked Mr. Show?
>>
I'm a lifelong Mr Show fan and I can admit that while each episode had amazing some amazing next level sketches, the show as a whole is mediocre. But if you didn't enjoy "I'm an amazing mom" from the golden ball of light, you're wrong.
>>
>>62821033
it's not even anti humor
if it was MDE or even a bad Tim and Eric clone it would be bearable
but it's more like an attempt at making a MAD TV clone and ending up turning out as a SNL clone without the niggers

the laugh track is what really fucking kills it though, they laugh at random times worse than a fucking sitcom
>>
>>62821118
Steve Brule is amazingly funny. Tim & Eric is half funny. China IL is shit. Never botbered with the other.
>>
>>62821139
>another idiot who can't understand that studio audience laughter isn't a laugh track

Great. I hate it here.
>>
>>62821175
many of the sketches are not filmed in front of the audience
>>
>>62821118
What kind of comedy do you like?
>>
>>62821175
95% of the time they are. usually the same laugh tracks recorded 60 years ago.

Do you have a source that these sketches were performed in front of a live studio audience
>>
>>62821204
The behind the scenes documentary showing them playing the recorded sketches to the live audience?
>>
>>62821197
scary movie 3
>>
i liked it
i like the birthday boys
but 4 episodes and then a behind the scenes was weak
>>
>>62821197
I prefer intellectually challenging comedy such as Monty Python
>>
>>62821221
Mr Show is literally filmed by performing love sketches in between the playing of ore-recorded sketches... In front of a live audience.

The laughter you here is live reaction to the sketch, regardless of when and how it was filmed.

A laughtrack is an mp3 of laughter played on top of a clip... Like on all Disney shitcoms.
>>
>>62821221
Okay im wrong
>>
>>62821251
Consider that they did all that with the money for a one hour special, just like Mr Show's first season... We could've got an hour. They stretched it into 3.
>>
>>62821175
who are you quoting
>>
>>62821305
You're on /tv/. You didn't have to do that...
>>
>>62821118
>my opinions on subjective matters are correct because I say so
It's one thing to not like something, but that's just being dumb.
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-11-18-01-51-21.png (91 KB, 480x800) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-11-18-01-51-21.png
91 KB, 480x800
>>62821323
>>62821323
>>
>>62821252
bait
>>62821243
ultrab8
>>
Teetotaler and I find it funny.
>>
>>62821360
no. that style of humor is objectively unfunny.

tim and eric and eric andre are literally on the wikipedia page for anti-humor
>>
>>62821311
ok well thats pretty good then.
>>
File: 1386814285712.jpg (138 KB, 1440x982) Image search: [Google]
1386814285712.jpg
138 KB, 1440x982
>>
there was something wrong with it's tone, mr.show was often aggressive but this was mostly upbeat and le quirky

i think it also suffered without the links. random sketches that are unrelated and dont have any monty python esque intermissions to break it up are jolting
>>
>>62821364
he did not say the quotation arrows you attributed to him ?___?
>>
>>62821408
Yeah. If they get a second season, which is super likely since they're the cheapest show NETFLIX has ever made, they'll turn out at least 8 episodes. Probably ten.
>>
>>62821204
>95% of the time they are. usually the same laugh tracks recorded 60 years ago

Not true. Actual "canned laughter" of this type is extremely rare outside of stuff like Disney channel shows and old Hannah Barbera cartoons. It's far more common for shows to be filmed in front of a live audience with some pre-recorded scenes played in on monitors. This is how shows from Cheers and Seinfeld to How I Met Your Mother and Big Bang Theory have all been filmed. And yes, Mr. Show was always done the same way.
>>
>>62821460
He called it laughtrack. It's live laughter. They're very
different.
>>
>>62821452
w/ bob and david had very explicit through lines in every episode
>>
>>62821426
What is serfs?
>>
>>62821468
Exactly. People think Seinfeld has a laughtrack. It doesn't. Even Big Bang Theory has real live audience laughter. I Love Lucy was a real human audience.

Laughtracks are only uses on Kid's Shows like All That because kids can't work long.enough hours to actually film a whole episode live.
>>
it's shit and I hated it I really expected more out of david
>>
>>62821033
I didn't realize this was anti-humor. I watched the first episode an thought it was fucking awful.
>>
>>62821118

All of those shows (can't speak for china il because I haven't seen it) are fucking genius. You have objectively shitty humor if you don't find them funny. What do you like, teletubbies? Fuck off lil bitch.
>>
>>62821033
Seeing how adult swim is still around, I say yes
>>
>>62821033
"Anti-humor" has become a meaningless buzzword used by lazy people to label virtually any comedy that's unconventional in some way. The term is almost never used correctly and it certainly doesn't apply to what Bob and David do.

>tim and eric and eric andre are literally on the wikipedia page for anti-humor

And? Tim and Eric have consistently rejected the "anti-humor" label and Andre would likely do the same. All their inclusion shows is that the people who edited the page have no idea what they're talking about.
>>
>>62821118
>I don't know what funny is and I like dick
>>
ITT old people not understanding young people
>>
>>62821553
ep 3 is the best and actually funny almost the whole way through imhoqtfgh
>>
>>62821569
a lot of people reject a lot of labels that are actually accurate
>>
Eh, fuck you, I liked it.

Some sketches were hit or miss but overall it was enjoyable.
>>
If you didn't laugh at the pope on the atv commercial you are an idiot
>>
>>62821033
Yes. It is certainly big enough for 4 episodes and a making of special.
>>
>>62821583
Salesman is so fucking perfect. Loved Totes 4 Realz and all, but damn, Bob loves to inject that real pain into his comedy and I fucking eat it up !
>>
>It's a David Cross is angry at everything stand up comedy special

I really liked him when I was an edgy teen but now its a bit on the nose. We get in Dave, you're unhappy with everything and always will be...
>>
>>62821569
>>62821561
>genius

all of those shows are unwatchable unless you are on drugs or a pretentious tryhard.
>>
Back when Mr. Show was in its original airing. Lots of people thought it was a little bit too homosexual. I never seen the Netflix series yet, but Bob and David's humor can be polarizing.
>>
>be recommended Sam Hyde by /tv/
>check out his latest video
>it's him standing on a stage pretending to literally be retarded for five whole minutes
Are you sure he's not laughing at you people?
>>
>>62821468
>How I Met Your Mother
did the audience actually laugh at thiis?
>>
>>62821468
You're wrong and you could look this up in a couple of seconds.
>>
>>62821640

Mad.props to the warmup who keeps the audience laughing between takes. He was clearly.amazing at his job.
>>
>>62821638
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdNAhlqnxA0
>>
>>62821628
You're just a big dumb bitch who gets mad when other people like what you don't like because it makes you feel like you're getting left out of something.
>>
>>62821653
I'm completely right. Every one of the shows I mentioned was filmed in front of a live audience.
>>
>>62821628
You do know that your opinion is not fact, correct?
>>
>>62821653
He's not wrong at all... You fucking dumbshit motherfucker. You die. You go to Hell. You learn where laughtracks come from.
>>
>>62821656

Paul F. Tompkins? Yes, he's very talented.
>>
>>62821695
I was talking about who ever got laughs out of the HIMYM audience...

But, yes, PFT is fantastic. The special he does in a red hugh hefner robe where he condescends to thebaudience the entire time is one of my personal faves.
>>
>>62821671
there is too much media worth consuming to get upset about not liking something

>>62821676
i forgot to add that legitimate autism and severe personality defects might also allow a person to find these shows funny
>>
>>62821656
>>62821695
his interview show, speakeasy, is pretty comfy
>>
>>62821732
I try to see it your way, but Check It Out is glorious and hilarious 90% of the time... You're seriously wrong on that one.
>>
>>62821675
Some scenes were, yes. But the laughter is still pre-recorded.
If you pay attention to it you can hear distinct patterns.
>>
>>62821728

Oops. Sorry bout that. But yeah, the HIMYM guy must have been working overtime. That last season is so bad that it's fascinating.
>>
>>62821732
Ohhh wow much science, so fact!
>>
>>62821766
You're wrong, dude. If you watch All That, there's the same loud hooping.laugh in every epsiode. This is.not the case in Seinfeld.
>>
File: bigbang-131923-140449[1].png (318 KB, 655x315) Image search: [Google]
bigbang-131923-140449[1].png
318 KB, 655x315
>>62821732
this might be a little more your tastes, sport
>>
>>62821732

Then why criticize those who do like those shows? Don't pretend you're above it all of the sudden.
>>
>>62821305
you're damn right you are. you can fucking SEE the audience in every episode
>>
>>62821732
>autism and personality defects
Oh of course, and I suppose you have actual science and evidence to back your assertions since they're objectively true like you think? Or are you just lashing out and calling people names because you're legitimately having a problem comprehending that people like what you don't like?
>>
>>62821638
No but I don't really care. That segment wasn't the pinnacle of MDE though. Check out some varsity jhonniey or keep calm and mouth milk imo
>>
>>62821033

had to search the term:

>Anti-humor is a type of indirect humor that involves the joke-teller delivering something which is deliberately not funny, or lacking in intrinsic meaning. The practice relies on the expectation on the part of the audience of something humorous, and when this does not happen, the irony itself is of comedic value.
>the irony itself is of comedic value

Basically, people are too pleb to understand irony as a comedic resource, so they invented a term.
>>
This slaves verse helper bit is breaddy gut
>>
>>62821628

So enjoying a show makes someone a pretentious try-hard?

How bout this: being too stupid to enjoy these great shows and then trying to attack people who like them makes YOU a pretentious try hard bitch. So go suck ya daddy's little dick :)
Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.