[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I loved Comedy but this is a true borefest.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6
I loved Comedy but this is a true borefest.
>>
heyy guys
>>
2deep4u
>>
I only watched it for Gregg.

It's exactly the kind of movie people would pretend to like to seem intelligent. 1h40m of Gregg standing around looking sad, then a nonsensical ending. Solid acting though.
>>
File: zRKvHfk.jpg (101 KB, 1166x711) Image search: [Google]
zRKvHfk.jpg
101 KB, 1166x711
I've got the Oscar fever, hope you got it too, pour me a glass of bubbly, it's all you gotta do.
>>
>>62800772
Whyy?
>>
Great movie. I give it 5 bags of popcorn and a little hamburger, just a little something special when uh watching the movie.
>>
How can you like The Comedy but hate this one? They're both very similar.
>>
Dude pretentious narcissistic universally despised hipster douchebags think being self loathing and wallowing in self pity makes them tragic and relatable but it's really just another form of being self absorbed LMAO
>>
>>62800749
How can Gregg be such a cunt though?
>>
fuck u huh garbage man
get the hell outta here
>>
>>62801020
That's the idea dude. These movies are not sympathetic to these people.
>>
It's called The Comedy, friend. Entertainment is brilliant. More challenging in some ways, but beautifully directed, poignant themes, Gregg kills it, Reilly's hilarious. Loved it.
>>
>Turkington: I feel that it’s very important to reach the people, who feel as I do, that this is the type of movie that they’d like to see. I know that if I saw this movie I would enjoy it, and I know that some, not the majority, would feel the same way. There’s also going to be a majority that will see this and say, “What the hell was that? That was a nightmare. Where was the plot?” And I’m not consciously trying to make something to ruin those people’s evening, and to make them tear up their ticket in disgust, but I’m prepared for it. Because if I go see the new Clint Eastwoodmovie or some action movie, I’m going to be more disgusted, and more distraught, and more angry for days, probably more than people will be with my film. And that’s what I’m dealing with on a daily basis, of being pretty frustrated and disgusted by everything. I’d like to see the tables turned a little bit so now they can feel the revulsion that I feel when I walk into Walgreens and Justin Bieber and Diplo’s music is blaring through the speakers, and I’m paralyzed with horror like, “Why do I have to fucking hear this? I’m just here to buy some Q-tips, and I have to listen to this fucking shit?” Like, I’m under attack by this bad art constantly. Now, they can maybe feel under attack by something that they don’t relate to and is alienating to them. And guess what, they get to go back to feeling pretty good about most things on TV and with most music, and I have to continue to live while being bombarded by bullshit.

http://www.rogerebert.com/interviews/under-attack-by-bad-art-constantly-gregg-turkington-on-entertainment

insightful interview
>>
File: Brody_Jacket_photo.jpg (547 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Brody_Jacket_photo.jpg
547 KB, 500x500
>Not to miss, Rick Alverson's Entertainment, grubby and raunchy, classical and grand: The director Rick Alverson gives the age-old trope of the unfunny comedian an extreme new twist in this puckishly aggressive drama. Gregg Turkington, who performs under the name Neil Hamburger, plays a comedian who himself adopts the persona of an awkward, hangdog standup artist, with an intentionally repellent greasy comb-over, whose wheezy riddles are embarrassing and offensive. Booked in depressing venues, performing for crowds that number in the high single digits, the comedian responds to hecklers with ugly sexual invective that makes Don Rickles seem like Mister Rogers. Dreary adventures in sad motels and dank public restrooms clash with the bedraggled purity of the comedian’s oblivious strivings and thwarted dreams. Alverson films a lonely tour in the California desert with poised wide-screen images that lend his grubby wanderings the mythic grandeur of a classic Western. The film is both jagged and suave, like an orchestrated concept album by a garage band. The cast—including John C. Reilly, as the performer’s prosperous cousin (who advises him to cut the references to semen), Michael Cera, Dean Stockwell, Amy Seimetz, and Dustin Guy Defa—completes Alverson’s full-circle union of underground exotica and Hollywood legend.
>>
best film of 2015 so far, i liked it more than the comedy, it felt alot heavier and i felt pretty uneasy for a few days after seeing it.
also does anyone know where i can see ricks film new jerusalem with will oldham i cant find it anywhere online
>>
>>62802338
>best film of 2015 so far

I'd probably tend to agree. It's really stuck with me, and the more I think about it, or remember bits and pieces, it takes on a dreamlike quality.
>>
>>62802338
>does anyone know where i can see ricks film new jerusalem with will oldham i cant find it anywhere online

Also seconding this. It's not on iTunes or torrents.

There was an anon in one of these threads a couple days ago that spoke of seeing New Jerusalem and The Builder. Where they at doe?

Neil/Gregg in a promo for a Will Oldham/BPB album:

https://youtu.be/xHuaJo46Pjc

Will and Zach G in Can't Tell Me Nothing:

https://youtu.be/N2bCc0EGP6U
>>
File: Entertainment.2015.1.jpg (58 KB, 1280x476) Image search: [Google]
Entertainment.2015.1.jpg
58 KB, 1280x476
I feel like the whole movie was just an excuse for the final scene, which was brilliant.
>>
better than the comedy, and thats not just my inner gregghead talking
>>
>>62803482

i get what you're saying, it was an interesting payoff, the actual last scene as well, but the journey itself was really rich

That woman with the color therapy was awesome
>>
>>62800910
WHHHYYYYY??
>>
What does a plate of asparagus risotto have in common with sex with Robin Williams?

Well, both of them make a woman's urine smell peculiar!
>>
File: simone and gregg.jpg (33 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
simone and gregg.jpg
33 KB, 600x450
>>
File: simone and gregg turkington.jpg (113 KB, 441x600) Image search: [Google]
simone and gregg turkington.jpg
113 KB, 441x600
>>62804198

i'm glad for gregg he has a comfy high test wife IRL and he's not like the absolute sad sack he is in the film
>>
What do you call a small group of sad, depressed, dejected, despondent, demoralized, broken hearted, emotionally and financially bankrupt black men carrying a coffin down a dusty windswept road?

The Jackson Four
>>
Who was the Sweetheart?
>>
>>62805089

What is this referring to?
>>
>>62805170
He called numerous times throughout to film to someone who he reffered to as "sweetheart". I thought it was his daughter or something, but then he denied to have any children at all.
>>
>>62805701
...throughout the*...
>>
>>62805701

Oh, yea it was his daughter. He does make that clear, calls himself Dad and stuff. She was in the film physically but eventually cut. His saying he didnt have a daughter was meant to show he had some shame about the relationship or didnt want to get into it. A loaded, telling, line.
>>
>>62804198
Alpha.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.