[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What Woody Allen films are worth watching? Admittedly I've
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: Woodie-Allen-1[1].jpg (196 KB, 1300x1787) Image search: [Google]
Woodie-Allen-1[1].jpg
196 KB, 1300x1787
What Woody Allen films are worth watching? Admittedly I've only seen Midnight in Paris and Vicky Cristina Barcelona but I loved them both. But I notice that his films tend to be very polarizing getting magnificent praise or pretty damning criticism.

Obviously Annie Hall and Blue Jasmine but any other opinions?
>>
Sleeper is good.
>>
Manhattan, Annie Hall, and Bananas are the other ones I've seen and I've loved them all desu senpai
>>
>>62793256
He has been making the same fucking movie for 40 years.
>>
Manhattan
Zelig
The Purple Rose of Cairo
>>
>>62793256
Things you always wanted to know about sex but were too afraid to ask is probably the only one i'd 100% recommend. Annie hall and the two you mentioned are also very good.
>>
>>62793256
Love and Death
>>
Purple Rose of Cairo
>>
None of his movies are "bad" - and even an average movie by his standards is much better than most other movies.

I'd start with some of his 'funnies' - Sleeper and Love and Death are pretty good intros for this period of his career.

Then for the more 'dramatic' stuff must sees are: Star Dust Memories, Manhattan, and Hannah and Her Sisters.

After that, i'd start working his way through his filmography - though the 'low point' for him is likely the 90s.
>>
Annie Hall is overrated desu desu senpai desu
>>
Deconstructing Harry is underated
Purple Rose of Cairo
Hannah and her sisters
Sweet and lowdown
Manhattan
Crimes and misdemeanors
Sleeper
Bannanas
Zelig
Radio Days
Annie Hall
>>
>>62793818
I can understand why someone used to capeshit would have trouble watching his movies.
>>
>>62793880
This guy got it all covered OP
Also make sure to watch Brodaway Danny Rose and Shadow & Fog
>>
Zelig is his best imo
>>
How's his modern stuff? Emma Stone a qt.
>>
>>62793256
Why does no one ever mention this? It's his most underrated movie imo, and reminds me a lot of his early stand-up.
>>
Anybody seen Cassandra's Dream? I have a man crush on Colin Farrell and I thought a crime thriller sounded interesting coming from Woody.
>>
>>62793882
It's garbage, it really is senpai. You don't need to like capeshit to see that, you just need to have eyes and ears desu.
>>
Manhattan is good senpai. Pedo plot.

Blue Jasmine.

Curse of the Jade Scoprion is funny noir

Radio Days is comfy

Rose of Purple Cairo is an interesting film.
>>
>>62793304
This one. Sleeper is underrated as fuck.
>>
>>62793256

Stardust Memories. It mixes both his comedic and his dramatic stuff. Also Deconstructing Harry.
>>
>>62793256
A large proportion of his movies are worth watching. I will recommend 'take the money and run' since it gets so little love.
>>
>>62794923
Definitely my favorite of his comedies
>>
File: based woody.jpg (46 KB, 465x640) Image search: [Google]
based woody.jpg
46 KB, 465x640
Rewatched Crimes and Misdemeanors last night, and it's terrific, one of his best. It's on HBOGO and likely OnDemand.
>>
>>62793256
potentially unpopular opinion: Match Point is his most entertaining. Basically a British American Psycho with Dostoyevsky thrown in.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.