[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the difference between a movie/TV show being "emotional"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: 1437506496840.jpg (101 KB, 500x389) Image search: [Google]
1437506496840.jpg
101 KB, 500x389
What's the difference between a movie/TV show being "emotional" and "emotionally manipulative"?
>>
>>62787764

has to feel earned, natural

not overly saccharine and contrived
>>
the 'manipulative' part.
>>
What's the silhouetted semi truck in reference to
>>
>>62787764
Generally emotionally manipulative things are only showing a certain aspect of something, with a obvious bias in point of view or subject material (ie cherry picking bits of the subject matter)
>>
How affective it is.

If the manipulation works, no one says it was manipulative.
If it fails to arouse the desired feelings in you, then it's "manipulative" or "hamfisted".

Naturally this is a continuum and different audiences will respond to the same stimuli, the same scenes differently
>>
The difference between "Up" and "Grave of Fireflies" to use animated movies as an example. Which one is which in your opinion?
>>
>>62787811
Bojack Horseman
>>
>>62787811
ghost rider
>>
>>62787811

over the top
>>
>>62787811
max max fury road
>>
>>62787764
>Emotionally manipulative
When a fiction piece tries to shove in emotional moments to compensate for lack of quality on the writing, I.E. Mass Effect 3 deaths.
>Emotional
When a good/decent story has a moment that "brings a lot of emotions".
>>
>>62787764
Moral Orel was emotional
Adventure Time was emotionally manipulative
>>
>>62787764
> Emotional
The events play out naturally, you feel the feels cuz u've been there bro.
> manipulative
Bad writing, deus ex shit, hammed cliches. The audience is given an emotion but they can not connect or respect it due to bad presentation.

You'll get a lot of answers but it mostly boils down to "bad writing", plain and simple.
>>
The romantic subplot from Attack of the Clones is emotionally manipulative.
>two attractive people in beautiful locations smile at each other, they must be in love!
emotionally manipulative is showing, not telling
>>
>>62788714
>>62788466
>>62788466
>>62787856
You say this, but I almost always see it when it has to do with building up sympathy for a character only so you can kill it later, and even though it gives the desired emotional reaction from the audience they feel cheated.
>>
>>62788759
Okay, but that still applies to AoTC. Despite the awful writing, Anakin still wants to save Padma despite the trite framing of his 'love' for her. It's only tragic in a sterile, manufactured way because but both characters are clearly incredibly stupid so you feel kinda bad no matter what.
>>
>>62788882
I think you're right, and it's a better description for the term, unlike something like
Grave of the fireflies, as this guy said
>>62787883
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.