[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ok, help me out guys I want to watch Ghost in the Shell, but
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3
File: gits.jpg (59 KB, 440x632) Image search: [Google]
gits.jpg
59 KB, 440x632
Ok, help me out guys

I want to watch Ghost in the Shell, but I'm kind of lost here: I thought there was the 1995 movie and then a 2015 sequel, but apparently it's a lot more complicated than that

I guess what I wanna see is the original 1995 movie, and not the new one which is instead the continuation of a series from what I gathered, right? Are the other movies sequels or are they too stuff that has to do with the series/manga? I just wanna watch a movie, I don't have the time to learn about an entire expanded universe

Also, does someone have a link to the movie in original language with english subtitles?
>>
Just watch the damn thing, jesus.

You not only need a guide on how to watch something, you need a fucking link too?
>>
They're all basically independent from each other except maybe Ghost in the Shell: Innocence (2) which doesn't make much sense without having watched the original.

The best advice I can give is to just follow production order, this applies to pretty much any series of films/tv shows.
>>
Just watch the 1995 film. It's really good.
>>
>>62786427
The movie, then SAC, then SSS, then 2nd gig then stop.

after SAC you will feel the quality drop off.
>>
>>62786427

I got you senpai

http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=rel&aid=61

https://bakabt.me/torrent/171377/koukaku-kidoutai-ghost-in-the-shell-1995-bd-1080p-niizk
>>
>>62786427

2015 movie kinda sucked. Stick with the original.
>>
>>62786427
Ghost in the Shell (1995) > Innocence

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex > Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd GIG > Stand Alone Complex - Solid State Society

Arise - Alternative Architecture > The New Movie

There are the three "timelines"
>>
read the comic books first. All of them. I think it goes 1 1.5 2. Then watch the first movie, then SAC, then the 2nd movie, then all the new arise stuff. The movies are made by an arthouse director who really changed the tone of the comic books. so its the most serious and pretentious of all the GITS media, so the rest isn't as bad, but nowhere the technical masterpiece of the 2 movies.
>>
new movie was trash after the first 15 or so minutes

Just watch 1995 and call it good
>>
Watch the 1995 one and then Innocence.

Ignore 2.0 under all circumstances. It's just the original but they replace good scenes with fucking awful CGI.
>>
>>62786615
>The movies are made by an arthouse director
>Mamoru Oshii
>arthouse

Wat?
>>
Arise > Arise Movie

this is to rinse the shit out of your mouth, then

Standalone Complex > 2nd GiG > Solid State Society

which very loosely leads into

1995 movie > Innocence

>>62786700

Hes arthouse by Western standards. Apparently you have to break a box office record to be considered a big director.
>>
Grow up and watch Lucy by Luc Besson instead
>>
>>62786764
>Hes arthouse by Western standards
He really only went off the deep end with Angel's Egg the rest of his movies are pretty standard
>>
>>62786779
Why would anyone want to do that? Just watch Limitless, it's funnier
>>
>>62786779
Lucy is the Akira ripoff bro not the GitS one
>>
>>62786813

GotS is baby's first mindfuck movie and Innocence is a namedrop cluster bomb buried under 9 layers of INCEPTION before there was INCEPTION
>>
JUST WATCH THEM IN PRODUCTION ORDER

THE OSHII MOVIE CAME FIRST, THEN INNOCENCE

STAND ALONE COMPLEX IS A DIFFERENT TIMELINE BUT TOYS WITH YOUR EXPECTATIONS FROM HAVING ALREADY SEEN THE MOVIE

THE ARISE OVAS AND SUBSEQUENT MOVIE ARE A THIRD TIMELINE BUT TOY WITH YOUR EXPECTATIONS FROM HAVING SEEN STAND ALONE COMPLEX

FRANKLY, WHY WOULDN'T YOU WATCH ANYTHING IN PRODUCTION ORDER? IT ALWAYS WORKS LIKE THIS WAY. THINGS ARE MADE WITH THE EXPECTATION YOU'RE WATCHING THEM UPON RELEASE, AND ARE FAMILIAR WITH THE EXISTING MATERIAL. IT'S ALWAYS THAT WAY. THE STAR WARS PREQUELS ONLY WORK THE WAY THEY DO BECAUSE YOU KNOW WHAT'S COMING. WHY DO YOU KNOW WHAT'S COMING? BECAUSE YOU WATCHED THE ORIGINAL TRILOGY FIRST, REGARDLESS OF THE NUMBERING.

APOLOGIES FOR MY CAPS LOCK, IT'S JUST THIS IS SO GODDAMN DUMB IT INFURIATES ME
>>
File: 1405995048073.jpg (2 MB, 2864x3516) Image search: [Google]
1405995048073.jpg
2 MB, 2864x3516
>>62786427
Watch the original movie from 1995 or whatever

Then watch Stand Alone Complex, then watch Stand Alone Complex 2nd Gig.

That's it. Everything else is trash. You can watch the other stuff if you really want, but you'll be disappointed.
>>
>>62786595
Thx bro
>>
>>62786880

Because ARISE fucking sucks compared to everything that came before it. Better to get the awful prequel series out of the way.
>>
The original 1995 movie is mandatory. The rest really isn't that good. Maybe watch the series Stand Alone Complex (and 2nd gig, and Solid State Society), but the quality dropped hard.
>>
>>62786961

This is so /tv/-approved it hurts
>>
>>62786427
Why don't you fuck off and go to a more appropriate board?
>>>/a/
>>>/m/
>>
>>62787020
You think /a/ would actually spoonfeed him the order of the movies?
>>
>>62786524
>The best advice I can give is to just follow production order, this applies to pretty much any series of films/tv shows.

Not Star Wars.
>>
>>62786427
Just watch the original.

Then the TV series, SAC and the 2nd Gig.
>>
>>62786950
Or you could just watch them in release order. By the time you get to ARISE you would likely and justifiably decide you can't be bothered with it.

If you start with ARISE you might end up bailing before you get to the good stuff.
>>
>>62787054
actually yeah
you just need to say "are the other ones worth checking out"
>>
>>62787064
ahahahaha good one
>>
>>62787096

Honestly, someone who made the commitment to watch a sci-fi franchise with three TV series and four movies isn't going to bail so soon into the marathon.
>>
File: big-boss.jpg (71 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
big-boss.jpg
71 KB, 300x300
>>62786427
Was SAC or the 2nd Gig ever properly released (as in, as the TV series and not just as various episodes stitched together as a 'movie') on Blu-Ray?
>>
>>62786570
I thought SSS was after 2nd gig.
>>
>>62787274
It is.

Movie > Innocence

SAC 1st Gig > SAC 2nd Gig > Solid State Society

ARISE > The New Movie
>>
>>62787235

They were, and my torrented collection proves it.
>>
>>62786764
>Standalone Complex > 2nd GiG > Solid State Society
>which very loosely leads into
>1995 movie > Innocence

Dumbass.
>>
>>62787508

It does if you want it to. They're separate universes, but SSS was obviously made to try to lead into the first movie despite the huge differences, especially with Motoko getting fed up with reality in general.
>>
original movie
then SAC but it's not "canon"
rest are garbage
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.