[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does everyone jizz their pants over this show? It's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 137
Thread images: 17
File: image.jpg (237 KB, 1100x1450) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
237 KB, 1100x1450
Why does everyone jizz their pants over this show? It's pretty decent but I don't understand the "BEST SHOW EVER" hype that people throw out there.

Convince me that this really is the best show out there, cause I'm not seeing it.

Hard mode: without using the phrases "social commentary" or "intricate plot"

Extreme mode: No "u jus don ged it" arguments
>>
You just don't get it, redditor.
>>
Hipster whites use the show to virtue-signal that they're down with blacks.
>>
>>62772578
culture tourism.

white people love to watch poor blacks sell drugs and commit crime. it's why everyone hates the 2nd season initially.
>>
CIA
>>
It had a whole season of CIA
>>
>>62772610
The 2nd season is one of the best seasons of any show ever.
>>
>>62772652
yes people eventually loop back around and say something to this effect but there's a large amount of people who watch the show and get pissed that it's suddenly about white people at the docks and not bodie picking fights with cops
>>
File: QaHf2.png (328 KB, 854x1178) Image search: [Google]
QaHf2.png
328 KB, 854x1178
Accurate depiction of the problems in an average (large) american city by using first hand knowledge and local actors. Basically documents that microcosm in fiction.

Believable characters with typical believable stories (unlike sopranos, breaking bad etc. Omar may be the exception but even he is based on a real person).

Season 2 best season.
>>
>>62772684
People got dumbfounded because it complete shifted from cops and streets to harbor and drugs. I know you faggots love to make everything about race but it didn't have anything to do with it, people just weren't expecting such a big change
>>
>>62772578
Who the fuck do you think you are you fucking nigger?
>>
File: 1392347129116.jpg (13 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1392347129116.jpg
13 KB, 480x360
I stopped watching when the hamster city or w/e got introduced. Not believable at all.
>>
>>62772578
the only show I rewatch every year
the universe of The Wire is so rich that you perceive a new layer every time you see it again
it also stretches beyond what you see in the screen, even with only a few characters

and by the way, it's the comfiest show ever
>>
Forget about "social comentary" and shit like that, it's the best show ever because IT IS WELL WRITTEN, and that's enough to make it better than any other shit made for tv. But normal people don't care about good writting and they're just fine with their formulaic shows full of fan service and mary sues.

I haven't seen a black person in my whole life and don't give a fuck about their problems. I just enjoy character developing when it's well done and great scenes when they are based on a good material, an The Wire has more of that than any other show ever made. Mcnulty opening a door and seeing Rawls smiling is a better scene than anything in BrBd or The Walking Dead. And that's a fact.
>>
>>62772997
>WELL WRITTEN
that's only one component, it's also well acted, well directed, well produced etc
>>
Because the show is great. Maybe it's more of an oldfag thing I dunno.But i grew up around drugs and dealers and the writing is amazing.
>>
>>62772652
heh. i find the second to be my least fav. well maybe 5 . Sorry. The characters annoyed me a bit.Maybe if that fake long dick fucker wasn't in it. God he is annoying
>>
>>62773029
Yeah, but good actors, directors and high budget shows are not that hard to find, but nothing comes closer to The Wire in terms of writting. I don't like Simon a little bit, I don't share his political views in the slightest, but he is pretty much right when he says that the main goal writting this was "fuck the average viewer"
>>
>>62772888
>typical believable stories (unlike sopranos
wat
>>
>>62772578
Well I can't personally think of a television show that is better.
>>
>>62772985
Yeah season 3 take a huge dive in terms of quality. I think most people's reaction is like this:

>Season 1
Ok this pretty great
>Start of Season 2
What the hell this is, where is muh Barksdale/Stringer
>A few eps into Season 2
Ok this is fantastic
>Season 3
Why the hell have we gone complete back to Barksdale/Stinger :(
>Hamsterdam
O-okay..
>>
File: image.jpg (61 KB, 960x547) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
61 KB, 960x547
>>62772578

White hipsters watch it because they feel it gives them credibility with the urban youths
>>
the show itself kickstarted several different careers

it showed real depiction of corruption for possibly the first time as opposed to "I WAS WORKING FOR THE VILLAIN THE ENTIRE TIME" type twists

it showed how retarded modern journalism can be and the absurd amount of power some journalists had in the 90s

it showed the war on drugs from a neutral stand point where the violence is a result of the power vacuum created by the cops, and not the bloodlust of the dealers

it showed how gay politics is with the littlefinger arc

it was revolutionary in several different ways and if you are too young to have seen it when it came out you have simply missed the train. the simple act of ACKNOWLEDGING the existence of wire tapping was considered tin foil at the time
>>
File: ne.jpg (35 KB, 596x407) Image search: [Google]
ne.jpg
35 KB, 596x407
There's nothing to get, it successfully depicts an entire and believable universe that revolves around a single city and the different problems in it. All the characters feel like real humans and not tropes, maybe just McNulty a little bit, but he belongs there.
Also it had amazing actors, like the mayor, when he confronts that hench guy on the plane, man, what an amazing scene
>>
>>62773126
are you retarded?
>>
>>62773177
Music Band gets me every time.
>>
>>62772578
I share the same opinion.After season 3 i dropped it.Also i usually like this kind od shows so taste wasn't an issue.
>>
>>62773209
Give me an unbelievable story in the Sopranos. More unbelievable than say, Hamsterdam
>>
>>62773233

Mob boss having hollywood style psychiatrist appointments, with a fake hollywood freudian psychiatrist shit
>>
>>62772578
It's not the best show ever, there's one better HBO show as well some mini-series that I would put over it. It's still amazing and 1/2 of the greatest artistic vision of 21st century American life.
>>
It tackles drama and "serious" themes but still finds space for comedy and silly moments and is genuinely funny.

It is expertly written with good dialogue and unfolds its narrative in a well-paced manner, without painfully obvious filler. It's just really tightly plotted.

It is sprawling in scope and casts its net wide yet manages to make you care for its characters, you grow to love many of the characters because they all get their human moments.

Great acting for the most part (a lot of it from local actors or people that aren't actors at all) and very good, but basic directing. Nothing flashy or fancy to capture the audience, just clean shots and good framing.

The Sopranos went on too long and had more random subplots and plotlines that were pulled out of their ass, The Wire is much more tight and focused, you can see each season was put together with care. The Sopranos also focuses mostly on the drama of one man (and the characters that surround him) while The Wire manages to be about so much more (and a much wider cast).

Breaking Bad comes close in its dissecting of the american dream but is again mostly about one man, while the Wire is more systemic and wider in scope. Breaking Bad was also obviously a runaway hit that was strung along for a couple of seasons just because the audience wanted it, while the Wire went on for as long as the creators had something to talk about.

Deadwood is comparable in quality to The Wire, but has a very different focus and floundered and was never wrapped up in a satisfying manner which takes it down a notch.

Mad Men was comparable in its first few seasons but we can all agree that the later seasons were just not as good.

Twin Peaks could be held up to the Wire (in terms of quality of the cinematic approach to TV, the breadth of its cast, the mix of comedy and drama etc.) but we all know S2 is a dud.

Honestly, there's nothing else that compares in consistency except maybe miniseries like Generation Kill or John Adams.
>>
>>62773277
Guy in a coma that dreams a different life
>>
>>62773325
>Sopranos went on too long
Never understood this, every season was better than the last. The Wire isn't really about much more but it does have a much wider cast, admittedly lacking in depth in comparison though.

Mad Men's later seasons were better than the first two.

Deadwood has a better ending than The Wire, with a much better final season overall.
>>
>>62773325
and the direction in superior to all those shows you mentioned. I remember watching The Sopranos, an episode that started with the psychiatrist picking her stuff, saying goodbye to her secretary, going to the car, walking downs some stairs and BAM getting raped. And it was like "dude, I knew that was goinf to happen, I woun't be here watching 90 seconds of pointless routine shit if there wasn't a shock coming".

But The Wire never falls into that. Shit happens just organically.
>>
File: 1432766329627.jpg (151 KB, 2046x1362) Image search: [Google]
1432766329627.jpg
151 KB, 2046x1362
>>62773408
>admittedly lacking in depth in comparison though.
top lel

the sopranos has far more clichés than the wire, and the fantasy of depth is a cliché in itself.
>>
>>62773455
what the fuck is this?
>>
>>62773408
>every season was better than the last
hell no. I wathced the whole thing because it had its moments, but it lost the charm of the first season
>>
>>62773455
The characters in The Wire serve as functions to explore the themes, there is no thorough exploration like in The Sopranos. Tony, Carmela, Christopher, Janice, A.J and Junior are all better characters than anyone in The Wire.
>>
>>62773486
The first season was by the worst of the show. Season 4 and 6 have billions time more complexity and re-watchability.
>>
>>62772578
> Im not seeing it

Its ok, youre a retard. Sorry no one told you before.
>>
>>62773554

>People who don't like what I like are dumb people who don't like what I like are dumb people who don't like what I like are dumb people who don't like what I like are dumb people who don't like what I like are dumb people who don't like what I like are dumb people who don't like what I like are dumb people who don't like what I like are dumb people who don't like what I like are dumb people who don't like what I like are dumb people who don't like what I like are dumb people who don't like what I like are dumb people who don't like what I like are dumb people who don't like what I like are dumb people who don't like what I like are dumb
>>
>>62773509
>The characters in The Wire serve as functions to explore the themes
No. The Wire character had some awesome exploration and development, even when it was really subtle and not forced, unlike the Sopranos, wich having a more individual scope it was all more obvious and pretty much mandatory (since they are all that the show has, there is no other plot to cover). You mention all those characters and all the development I can remember is how they were a bunch of whiny faggots, shit happened to them and sometimes they were angry to each other, sometimes not.
>>
>>62773682
The Wire's exploration was pretty unsubtle and forced imo. Mcnulty family scenes were terrible, Kima and her baby was one of the worst scenes of the show. Maybe you actually don't understand the show. Meadow, A.J, Noah and even Jackie Jr. are some of the most realistic and nuanced turn of the century American teens ever shown on television. Tony has more depth than the entire cast of The Wire. A single facial expression from Gandolfini can show anger, sadness, melancholy, regret, loss, innocence, intimidation, fleeting moments of happiness in matter of seconds. The Wire doesn't try to do this, it's more about society and not human beings and relationships, though it does occasionally touch on these themes. Don't try to deny Sopranos wasn't also a microcosm for America.
>>
>>62773799
>Maybe you actually don't understand the show
fuck you

>Meadow, A.J, Noah and even Jackie Jr. are some of the most realistic and nuanced turn of the century American teens ever shown on television
as I said, a bunch of whiny spoiled kids that change their mood in seconds. If they were meant to be hatefull, good work. But they don't change a bit in the whole show.

>Tony has more depth than the entire cast of The Wire
Of course he does, he has a fucking show just for himself. He and he's feelings are what makes the show progress. Of course he's a deeper character. Now, when TW get a better drawed character with less screen time and without losing the main plot you can tell it's a way superior show.

>A single facial expression from Gandolfini can show shit
Great. Who cares? He's depressed now, then he's angry, then he's drunk, then he's depresed again, drunk again, depresed, angry, aaand show's over. Good actor, but no character development at all

>The Wire doesn't try to do this, it's more about society and not human beings and relationships
The main subject in TW is that that thing you call "society" is made of fucking human beings. And no, TS wasn't also a microcosm for America, it was about a very specific part of it, the very few people in America that combine the upper class life style and inherent violence that sourrounds Soprano's family.
>>
>>62774029
>no character development at all
You know who had an arc? Noah.
>>
File: 1420377081209.jpg (88 KB, 1725x864) Image search: [Google]
1420377081209.jpg
88 KB, 1725x864
>>62773799
>Meadow, A.J, Noah and even Jackie Jr. are some of the most realistic and nuanced
>muh teenage liberal girl
>muh effeminate suicidal faggot
>muh liberal black
>muh little shithead turd willing to be respect

all those are pathetic clichés that americans shows have been dumping for decades

and you are right that even the wire sucks because of these crappy romances. but the sopranos sucks even more

the wire is mediocre
the sopranos is just bad
>>
>>62774222
see? even the most retarded asshole in /tv/ accepts TW as the best show ever
>>
>>62774257

Not really, he just said it sucks less than Sopranos
>>
>>62773233
Pine Barrens
>>
>>62772888
>believable characters
>brother mousone
>omar

The Wire was great but had a few characters who were just too over the top. Omar was great but the fact that he basically walked around the hood robbing people with no mask and lived as long as he did, while living in that same hood was not very realistic. Brother mousone, do I even have to say it?

I love the wire but one of its faults seems to be it's rewatchability because each season is basically the same, every episode up to the penultimate and final episode is just "cops try new method, method fails, some random minor character dies in war" then the final 2 episodes is just "one of season's main characters dies/gets caught"
>>
>>62774545
Brother mouzone was basically a Nation of Islam terrorist. I didn't really have a problem with him.

>>62773799
>Kima and her baby
>scene

It was a plot thread, not a scene. Kima's arc was interesting for me because it depicted a woman and a lesbian that defied all previous cliches. She was a flawed and imperfect womaniser who was never the less a principled and caring police officer. She was in some ways a reflection of and contrast to McNulty.

Gandolfini's capacity as an actor doesn't really relate to your argument. You'd do well to look at a lot of Sobotka's scenes, or Poot and Bodie, if you want nuanced and varied performances in the Wire.

And you're right, in some ways - people in real life don't entertain the soapy domestic drama of the Sopranos, which is why they don't appear in the Wire.
>>
>>62774545
>Omar was great but the fact that he basically walked around the hood robbing people with no mask and lived as long as he did, while living in that same hood was not very realistic
true. In the real world, someone like Omar would end killed just like that, by some random person, because you just can be safe from everybody. And he would be just another black man killed because of drug dealing, and nobody out of his hood, his universe, would give a shit about him. Oh, wait, that's what happened to Omar!

>Brother mousone

True dat. Brother is way over the top, and is the only bad piece in the whole show.

I love the wire but one of its faults seems to be it's rewatchability because each season is basically the same, every episode up to the penultimate and final episode is just "cops try new method, method fails, some random minor character dies in war" then the final 2 episodes is just "one of season's main characters dies/gets caught"

I can't see that pattern in any season beyond first one and second one.
>>
>>62772578
I mean I get its a bait thread, but how do people not understand that calling something the best when it's on rated on a numerical scale and multiple people rate it according to that scale means that you could have an opinion of 0/10 factor into that rating and a show could still be considered the best. if you don't believe it's the best show that is absolutely your right, but on average it's rated higher than any other show and there it is considered the best.
>>
File: mcnutty.jpg (119 KB, 1040x813) Image search: [Google]
mcnutty.jpg
119 KB, 1040x813
Why can't McNulty stop fucking his shit up?
>>
>>62774658

>opinions I don't like are bait

K
>>
>>62772578
what do you think is the best show ever anon?
>>
>>62774029
The Sopranos is specifically about these characters not being able to change, only choosing the easy way out rather than honest introspection.They don't follow a linear character arc like Walter White because the show is much more true to life. You can trivialize the characters all you want, doesn't mean they aren't incredibly well done. The Sopranos was a critique of American culture, it's narcissism, hypocrisy, materialism and consumerism as well as the changes from pre-9/11 to post-9/11 reflected in the moodier, slower, death-laden approach of the later seasons. It's also about the immigrant experience, difference between generations, American nuclear family life, identity politics and more. By your logic, The Wire only applies to modern dysfunctional cities.

>>62774222
None of these characters are cliche in the slightest, no matter how much you trivialize them. The Sopranos kids were a rejection of kid-character stereotypes, they weren't uncharacteristically intelligent or likable rebels. They were dumb and smart, arrogant, kind, devious. A.J was incredibly realistic in his idiocy, depression and existential crisis that mark that specific period the show was made.
>>
>>62774652
No way, omar would've gotten killed by one of the thousands of people in his OWN HOOD whom he robbed. That time he walked through the street with a shotgun and got drugs dropped out the window? Yeah, that would never happen. He had no gang, he had a few people who were with him but he would've gotten popped with no consequences.

And it happens in the 3rd season too, the whole series they're after stringer, and the 2nd to last ep. they finally get a wire and stringer gets...well I wouldn't wanna ruin it for others.
>>
>>62772610
not for me i liked season 2 the most. it was also the funniest season for me.
>>
AGU CAN YOU KEEP SECRET WITH COMMANDANT?
>>
>>62773189
>>62772997

these
>>
File: 1421032656310.jpg (230 KB, 1180x777) Image search: [Google]
1421032656310.jpg
230 KB, 1180x777
>>62772578
It's a social commentary with an intricate plot, guessing you just don't get it.
>>
>>62774743

I'm not sure, but I've definitely seen shows I'd consider as good as (and yes, even better than) The Wire.

It's a solid show. I liked it. The writing was good and the acting wasn't always shit. I just don't think its the best show in the history of television and I certainly don't agree with the twats on here who just yell "lol ur just a pleb" when they hear any critique of their pet show like it's Infinite Jest and this is fucking /lit/.
>>
>>62774918
This is not /a/, you're allowed to recommend stuff.
>>
File: 1407821403719.jpg (101 KB, 1284x949) Image search: [Google]
1407821403719.jpg
101 KB, 1284x949
>>62772610
I shamelessly admit that this is exactly why i like it
Also the cool actors that seem to be playing themselves
Low point for me were the McNulty drunk scenes
>>
>>62772996
Fully agree, it's also the only show i've ever rewatched
>>
>>62774956

>"I don't think The Wire deserves the blind worship it seems to at-"
>WELL THEN WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST HUH HUH

See this is the sort of shit I'm talking about
>>
>>62774545
We pretend Mousone wasn't a thing. Nobody liked it
>>
>>62773233
Vito's whole thing in New Hampshire's faggiest little village
>>
>>62774776
>that would never happen
I bet shit like that happens more often than you think. Omar character symbolize all those outsiders that did really crazy shit while they lasted before got killed. It would have been "more" realistic if he was killed in S2, but we needed the character.

>>62774763
soehow, I agree with you. TS characters are a bunch of flawed asholes that never evolve, just react to the circunstances in the most selfish way. Just like real people. I just don't find a real merit in that, while TW does a great work showing us something bigger than our personal miseries, something we are responsably for, even when we lost control long time ago.
>>
>>62775064
What about people who are genuinely interested in your opinions? There is no need to be upset. I never meant to defend The Wire because I haven't even seen the show.
>>
>>62772997
What makes it well written?

>>62773029

What makes it well acted,driected and produced.

People often say these things but they're just regurgitating others and just use them as buzzwords.
>>
>>62775121

Sopranos is good, Breaking Bad is good, a lot of miniseries like Broadchurch and just about everything Ken Burns has done besides The Pacific
>>
>>62775136
If you watched the show and have to ask that, nobody can explain it to you. If you never watched it, what's the point?

Friend of mine watched it after years of me telling him that Walking dead, Breaking bad and all those plebs show were shit compared to TW and it's perfect writting. At least, he watch the whole show in like two weeks, and we spend hours just saying "and what about this guy does this and that..." "yeah, that's a fucking great scene". And even when he recognize that he still prefer "shows that I can watch without thinking too much", he now understand why I always said TW is well written.

So, I can explain what's good writting. Why should I? I'm not a professional writter. But I can recognize it when I see it.
>>
>>62775109
Basically The Wire is about society letting down the people and Sopranos is about the people letting down society.
>>
>>62774652
>True dat. Brother is way over the top, and is the only bad piece in the whole show.
I don't see why he's so bad. Some people on /tv/ are acting like he single handedly destroys the show, while his behavior, even if slightly exaggerated, fits the Nation archetype quite well. Besides, the number of scenes he is a part of is in the single-digits, so he doesn't overstay his welcome.

Having said that, Sopranos is a better show.
>>
The Wire may not be objectively the best show ever, but it is objectively in the highest tier of shows that have ever been made. Everything about it is quality.
>>
>>62775296

But if society is really just a collection of people as TW seems to suggest, then aren't both shows just about different groups fucking each other over?
>>
File: gibe yiffee pls.jpg (23 KB, 316x573) Image search: [Google]
gibe yiffee pls.jpg
23 KB, 316x573
>>62772578
i really wanted to like it
but the amount of drug-dealing, knuckle-dragging muh dikk bich nigga coons was way too much
>>
>>62775736
nice meme
>>
File: upea ja rohkea nainen.jpg (89 KB, 486x645) Image search: [Google]
upea ja rohkea nainen.jpg
89 KB, 486x645
>>62775750
wish it was
ook ook bich nigga muh dikk bich muhfugga ooga booga

honky ass muhfugga keepin' da blak man down
>>
>>62775344
I don't like the cliche of stringer telling Avon "they're sending Mousone" and Avon going "fuck, man, he's the toughest mudafucker ever" and bang, he's a midget in a suit. It's something that fits any other tv show but TW. After that, the character fits perfectly and as you said, he appears like three times in two seasons.

>Having said that, Sopranos is a better show.
It's not.

>>62775296
>Basically The Wire is about society letting down the people and Sopranos is about the people letting down society.
I don't buy that. Society isn't something we can let down, society is what we create just being alive. TW is not about society letting down people, but about the fucked up society we made. An TS is not about people letting down society, but about people being so fucking selfish and blind that don't give a shit about the society they help to create.

I can't relate to any character in TS, they are all awful people, every single one of them. While in TW, you can find a bit of humanity in the worst motherfucker. That's not a bad thing to say about TS per se, but I think it wasn't its intention at all
>>
>>62774918
>pet show like it's Infinite Jest and this is fucking /lit/
Lel
Infinite Jest is a /lit/ meme
>>
I've never watched it but need something new to watch

What show is it similar too? True detective?
>>
>>62775832
>characters you aren't supposed to like or relate to aren't likeable or relatable
>MAN THIS SHOW IS SO UNLIKEABLE AMD UNRELATABLE
Uhh
>>
>>62776020
Homicide Life on the Street, kinda
>>
File: wire333.jpg (43 KB, 259x300) Image search: [Google]
wire333.jpg
43 KB, 259x300
>>62772578
>Why does everyone jizz their pants over this show?

because her
>>
>>62776048
ehh
>>
>>62776067
now that you mention, there are two GOD TIER sets of boobs on the show. Sobotka's girl and the the russian hooker on top of Jimmy.

And his wife isn't bad either.
>>
>>62776067
BLACKED
>>
>>62775832
Hello plebbit
>>
>>62776284
Daniels was the best man on the show though.
You can't blame her for wanting to go for him.
>>
>>62776295
>implies rayciss opinions are ok with plebbit
faggot bich nigga, go take a fuck of you're self
>>
>>62776321
>not Lester
He was a player too
>>
>>62776364
lester is the most unrealistic character. That classy motherfucker is too fucking perfect to be real
>>
>>62776401
He's real PO-lice
I hope the actor is getting work, he good.
>>
>>62775871
You couldn't find humanity in TS? Charmaine, Melfi, Finn, Artie and even Adriana were all relatively good people. Even in the worst people like Ralphie and Phil or the most hypocritical like Tony and Carmela, I found goodness and tons of aspects that reminded me of myself and the people I know. David Chase has a rather cynical view of the world that I think is even more cynical than The Wire because hope actually exists in that show. I definitely felt that was the intention.
>>
Complex characterization across a huge ensemble cast
Excellent plotting
Great sense of atmosphere

I'm not really that impressed by most of the social commentary, and I think David Simon's politics are garbage, but I still consider this #2 behind The Sopranos.
>>
>>62773217
Kek I don't know how I never noticed that
>>
>>62772578
>Hard mode: without using the phrases "social commentary" or "intricate plot"

That's like saying: describe the good things about a car, but don't talk about how it drives or about it's design
>>
>>62776529
>Charmaine, Melfi, Finn, Artie
I had to google those. They are not even characters, just background furniture.

>Adriana
nope. She has an easy life based on all the violence that she knows but decide to ignore, and ends bad just because of her own stupidity and lack of moral. I feel sad for her, but any poor hobo that ends in an alley taking heroine is a more relatable person

>aspects that reminded me of myself and the people I know.
tha'ts my point. Sopranos is just a long characters wank with no goal but to show us the complexity of human being, but turn out I don't need a tv show to know how people are. Maybe you find amusement in that, I don't. I need a goal, an intention beyond just pure portraits, at least some evolution in their behaviour
>>
same thing with fear the walking dead
everybody's more or less brown; can't relate, care or even remember names
>>
File: The_Wire_Landsman.jpg (40 KB, 506x316) Image search: [Google]
The_Wire_Landsman.jpg
40 KB, 506x316
>>62774222
>the wire is mediocre
>the sopranos is just bad

this has got to be the stupidest thing ive ever read on /tv/. Pls name a show you think is better then if this isnt bait.
>>
>>62776837
why are you talking about pleb shit in this thread?
>>
>>62776920
pleb shit or no
the point stands
cast full of coons=show's a complete snooze
>>
>>62776604

1. Almost no one actually seriously gives a fuck about the social messages in a TV show

2. At the end of the day it's a story about hood niggas moving drugs and shooting each other with some relationship drama bullshit thrown in to spice things up
>>
Why does every single one of these stupid fucking threads always come down to Sopranos vs Wire? And why does every argument in these threads always come down to "Sopranos is so much better than the Wire" and vice versa? Can't you have an argument or opinion about the Wire without structuring your position based on it being much better/worse than the Sopranos?"

How about the Wire is different to the Sopranos? How about they adopt two completely different stylistic approaches to two completely different subjects? Can't you evaluate them separately instead? Can't you justify why the wire is bad or good without comparing it to the Sopranos?
>>
It's the successor of Zola and naturalism but through film.
>>
>>62777107
1. False
2. False

You can make anything sound stupid like that.

At the end of the day it's about fat wops complaining about their families and eating gabagool with some tits thrown in to spice things up.
>>
>>62777291
but it's true
it's clear that you are talking about sopranosses
>>
>>62777156
Totally agree. Basically everyone who likes sopranos or the wire also likes the other one, cause they are both exeptionally good shows. In these threads however, both sides starts bashing the other calling the show shit after about 50 posts.
>>
>>62772578
>okay, explain to me why this show is so good
>but you can't use the reasons that make this show great!
>>
>>62776787
>background furniture
Melfi is one of the most important characters. Artie too for how he represents the audience. Charmaine is the strongest character in the show and Finn is a rather accurate, if dull portrayal of a 21st century young adult male who would respond to his situation just as we would. In no way is Adriana an awful person, definitely not in comparison to most of the cast. Her love for Chris was genuine and she actually wanted to get out of this life. I really felt her isolation and desperation when she was talking to the other wives.

Yeah by that logic, you don't need The Wire to understand how society works either. Just read a book.

Let's disregard the authenticity of the characters, their actions, the way they talk and react to certain situations. Let's disregard the way the show sums up our cultural climate, how it captures the moods and sounds of the period, let's disregard possibly the most in-depth character study ever undertaken in art. You don't need fundamental development for Tony because the entire point is that he and those in his circle aren't willing to change. This is the thesis of the show. Interestingly, he grows more cynical, he isolates himself from those related to his upbringing (Paulie, Hesh), he ends up using his mother and his means of growing up as a story for self-pity, not as a lingering force still hanging over his life, he killed a family member without a trace of remorse for the very first time.
>>
I just finished the first season. It was good, and then the last few episodes were great. But it just doesn't pull me in like other shows did. When I would watch Breaking Bad (yeah, I like BrBa. Deal with it /tv/) and The Sopranos, I couldn't wait too watch another episode. Those shows were addictive. The Wire just doesn't do that for me. The writing is good and the social commentary is great of course but it just feels lacking in other areas. I'm not even sure if I want to keep watching, especially considering that most people say season 2 is worse than season 1.
>>
It's one of the best crime/gangster shows out there but I agree the people who say it's le best show evar XD are idiots. You can't really compare it to shows of other genres. Like who watches Generation: Kill or Game of Thrones or Rick and Morty and thinks "yeah this show is pretty good BUT IT AINT THE WIRE"
>>
>>62772997
I'd also add the fanatical attention to detail and how intricately written the characters are.

Stuff like the guy casing the gay bar, with the 2-second "blink and you missed it" camera cut to Rawls laughing in the corner with another guy, that completely flips everything we though we knew about his character, his relationship with McNulty, etc on it's head.

You just don't see stuff like that very often, and it's why
>>
>>62775344
People who don't get Brother's character and call him unrealistic are people who don't know about The Nation.

Their enforcers are exactly like him in their actions and their mannerisms, and the Fruit of Islam guys are some of the scariest motherfuckers to ever come out of the Black Nationalist movement.

It's as if Avon, Stringer, etc are Catholic thugs in Belfast, and Brother Mouzune is a hardened Provisional IRA fighter/Sinn Fein rep.
>>
>>62778142
>the people who say it's le best show evar XD are idiots.
Not at all, there simply aren't another example of a show with such greatness on all levels of production. There are other amazing shows, but they don't impress with everything they do like the wire.
>>
>>62777753
>Charmaine is the strongest character in the show

I disagree. I'd say Melfi was stronger
>>
>>62778249

as someone who thinks The Wire is the best show I've ever seen I think the moment you mentioned is possibly one of the biggest missteps the show makes and is a completely terrible moment. Just such a cheap, unnecessary thing to do.

Also how would him being gay change everything we know about him? Sounds like you might be homophobic bro
>>
Dunno about you guys, but season 4 hit a little too close to home for me.

I worked in a nigger school in Chicago, and it's the same fucking situation.
>>
No other show has topped The Wire. I struggle to think of another show that has even tried?

>Epic in scope
>Countless characters and plot threads all written consistently and kept straight
>Excellent balance of comedy and tragedy
>DID WE MENTION WELL WRITTEN

Someone above in the thread mentioned that people just repeat the same shit about it, that it's well written but don't ever go into how.
Characters are written consistently- and even when a character does something "out of character" it's consistent with who they are as a person. People are not just one thing , but you can always see where that thing came from.
There's also excellent structure to the storytelling- while the show often gets praise for how "real" it is the fact is it's expertly structured time and time again with setup, development and payoffs which is not realistic but instead the mark of an excellent story. There's not a wasted scene in the entire show.
>>
>>62775172
lmao what shit taste
>>
>>62773233
>>62773277
>>62773328
>>62774512

Suck a dick. Sopranos cast and crew had a lot of positive feedback from real-life mobsters for the accuracy of the portrayal.

As far as television being television, what the fuck were you expecting, First 48?
>>
>>62776439
>natural po-lice
Sadly he ain't getting close to what he deserves
>>
>>62772578
People rave about this show and it makes me cringe.
The Shield was ten times better with top chemistry from most of the cast.
The Wire has annoying fag characters, the Drunk cop shit for brains.
The smug black boss.
The smug doll house furniture maker (WTF!)

I will to say all the casting for the criminals and their performances were very good indeed.
>>
>>62781841
Oh yeah when the mayor story happened with "your a big boy" it turned into a steaming pile of shit.
>>
>>62772996
>it's the comfiest show ever
Severely underrated aspect. There's some real humanity in there. Cops drinking beers after work in the parking lot, Bunk and McNulty, the entire boat-arc...
>>
>>62772610
nigga that's my favourite one, pedostache
>>
File: 1447710272681.gif (2 MB, 371x500) Image search: [Google]
1447710272681.gif
2 MB, 371x500
>>62773207
>>
>>62774811
Kek
>>
Seasons 1, 3 and 4 are great. 2 and 5 are cancer.
>>
>>62775136
>well written
Threads. The overarching plot is always entirely skeletal (some investigation, election, ...), with all the characters going through stories that interlace. McNulty will be up to something, and so is Kima, and so is the devious commissioner, and they all meet at certain points without any of it feeling like overly scripted scenes.
>>
The Wire is the most important television series ever produced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWY79JCfhjw
>>
File: OMAR-Y-DONNIE.jpg (22 KB, 600x395) Image search: [Google]
OMAR-Y-DONNIE.jpg
22 KB, 600x395
>>62772888

>omar

Who is Donnie Andrews?
>>
>>62783899

Meant for >>62774545
>>
>>62782189
>'cancer'
>not liking s2

hello reddit
Thread replies: 137
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.