[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 10
What went wrong?
>>
>>62772032

They had material for two movies then suddenly told to make a third one on a limited time schedule.
>>
>>62772032
Goblin town tbqh
>>
yeah, too much additional fluff from Silmarillion.

Too dependent on CGI (remember that sad pic of Sir Ian with his head in his hands in a green room)

The fact that tonally the book is very different from the epic fantasy of the LOTR series.

Too dependent on franchise shit. Characters for their own sake rather than story purposes. Fucking Billy Conolly and fucking Stephen Fry.
>>
>>62772032
Should have followed the book and left out that stupid romance.
>>
>>62772032
Stupid made for 3D chase sequences like the forges in the mountain.

Too much reliance on CGI and lazy copypaste CGI.

Too much overglorifying simple things "Oh, you need me to read this map. Cool, the moon is right tonight. NOW WE SET IT UPON THE SACRED MYSTIC MOON READING STONE BESIDE A WATERFALL!"

Too much shoehorning in irrelevant subplots and LotR cameos. The fan cuts are pretty decent though.
>>
>>62772032
1 book should mean only 1 movie
>>
>>62772184
Yep.

Plus for bonus points the "big battle" had already been done and played out with the 2nd and 3rd LOTR movies, so BOFA really didn't offer anything new and interesting.
>>
>>62772336
I was looking forward to seeing the dwarves fight, because you never saw the dwarf armies in LotR for obvious reasons. But they flubbed that even though there were some good ideas like the shield wall.
>>
>that part where Kate and Legolas first enters the movie

Irredeemable shit from that point.
>>
>>62772368

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkgLCrjcyHo

Dwarfs slaughtering elves, for kids.
>>
>>62772398
The spinning shit at least felt like a fully crazy true dwarf solution though.

>Think you can aim each arrow perfectly?
>Well fuck all your arrows you prissy pointy eared fops.
>>
>>62772398
>Dorfs and Elves actually fucking killing each other
Jesus Christ Hacksooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooon
>>
if your entire movie rests on CGI at least make the CGI good

this goes for Jurassic World too
>>
>>62772495

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Npm4tDzjRk

>you never got to see the murder chariot in the theater
>>
>>62772498
The stupid thing is the excellent practical effects and all the effort put into LotR is why that will be remembered fondly for decades. Tons of CGI and camera tricks there too but only where it was absolutely needed. So it's not like they didn't have the skills to do that with the Hobbit. You can even see how much effort was put into some of the sets. It's just the armies and large groups that they got so lazy with.
>>
File: dumb.png (59 KB, 516x443) Image search: [Google]
dumb.png
59 KB, 516x443
>>62772398
That was the dumbest shit I've seen in a long time.
>>
>>62772592

Try watching

>>62772564

Then.
>>
File: I don't understand.png (977 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
I don't understand.png
977 KB, 1366x768
>>62772622
Please no, it hurts too much.
>>
File: hobbit 4.webm (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
hobbit 4.webm
2 MB, 1280x720
>>
>>62772677

I hate how every movie has to have this after glow effect like I'm staring into the sun constantly, if i wanted this shit i would play bad FPS games.
>>
It's not as grand as it could have been given CGI is more advance now.

it felt a bit cheap
>>
>>62772032
>What went wrong?

Peter Jackson doesn't really like the Hobbit but he didn't trust anyone with it after Del Toro left so he had to do it himself
>>
>>62772184
They only ever had material for one movie. They went from adapting 3 long adult-targeted books into 3 movies, to adapting one childrens' novel into 3 movies. Everyone knew it was fucked from the beginning
>>
>>62772032
>That awkward grip on Sting
>>
>>62773240
>implying Bilbo wasn't even more of an ass than the rest of the hobbits throughout the entire story.
>>
>>62772032

It went Lord of the Rings instead of The Hobbit.
>>
A 7 chapter children's book streched into a movie trilogy.
>>
>leave the Saruman scene out of the theatrical release of ROTK because "you can't start a movie by killing off the villain from previous movie".
>Start TBO5A by killing off the villain from previous movie
Okay then.
>>
jesus christ these movies suck
>>
>>62773320
Nope. It went Peter Hackson.
>>
>>62773359
Read the book first retard.
>>
>>62773359
The Hobbit has 19 chapters you fucking donkey
>>
File: 1386525540314.png (3 KB, 239x258) Image search: [Google]
1386525540314.png
3 KB, 239x258
>>62772032
With each new entry the level of poorly implemented CGI got worse and worse to a point that it got disgustingly bad even by normie standards.

DoS is still the best one tho desu...
>>
>>62775187
(same person)
Also, Jackson gave all the Dwarves distinctions and personalities, especially so in the EEs which have a LOT more Dwarf scenes.

Re-read the book, the majority of the Dwarves are personality-less nobodies whose only distinction is the colour of their beards and hoods.
>>
File: 1447000258018.jpg (253 KB, 2048x1365) Image search: [Google]
1447000258018.jpg
253 KB, 2048x1365
Can we finally download the appendices or what?
>>
File: bitch.jpg (32 KB, 497x351) Image search: [Google]
bitch.jpg
32 KB, 497x351
They took a relatively short children's book and tried to stretch it out into two three hour long movies. Then they got greedy halfway through production, and decided to stretch the second part into two more three hour long movies by filling the running time with a bunch of superfluous bullshit, filler, and a bunch of tonally inconsistent scenes that attempt to tie it into Lord of the Rings.

The end result is an over bloated mess of a trilogy that started out relatively solid but rapidly declined in quality as they started run out of book to adapt and scrambled to get whatever bullshit they could on the screen to fill up time, culminating in a giant, lazy, CGI clusterfuck adaptation of the Battle of Five Armies... Which was actually, and for the better mind you, almost entirely skipped over in the books because our POV character Bilbo was unconscious for most of it.

And that part right there is probably the biggest sin of the Hobbit movies. As the films progressed, they really became less and less about Bilbo to the point where he was barely even an afterthought by the third one. The only real arc we see in his character is at the end of An Unexpected Journey when he finally embraces the Dwarves and the adventure they're going on. After that, it basically becomes MATRIX ELVES AND DWARF SCHENANIGANS, THE MOVIE.

Seriously, Bilbo really should have been the main focus of these films and the only POV character. That's where they truly fucked up.
>>
File: thorinbilbobotfa.jpg (320 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
thorinbilbobotfa.jpg
320 KB, 1920x1080
>>62775352
this is the only good scene in botfa imo
>>
>>62772032
Nothing. The films were good. Better than Lord of the Rings in a lot of ways.
>>
File: sad bilbo.png (151 KB, 500x250) Image search: [Google]
sad bilbo.png
151 KB, 500x250
>>62775566
Bilbo breaking down in this scene and in the added funeral scene in the EE never fails to choke me up

>tfw "He was... he was my friend."
>>
>you will never see Del Toho's original version of two movies

Jackson went full lucas, started with King kong
>>
File: 5alfrids.jpg (78 KB, 576x1024) Image search: [Google]
5alfrids.jpg
78 KB, 576x1024
>>62772032
>>
>>62775283
That one guy, top fucking kek.
>>
>"i could have anything down my trousers"

this is the exact moment the trilogy became irredeemable. everything before this was excusable and still enjoyable, but as soon as this single line was said, all hope was lost.
>>
>>62775802
>>62775566
damn i'm too pussy to watch both BOFA and Return of the king endings again
>>
>>62778837
the end credits for botfa were more well done than the entire trilogy desu
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.