[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alexander: The Ullimate Cut
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 6
File: alexander-movie-wallpaper-5.jpg (293 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
alexander-movie-wallpaper-5.jpg
293 KB, 1024x768
>be me
>hunting for a movie to watch on netflix
>See Alexander
>sure why the fuck not
>be now, 30 minutes

Did I just fucking watch a 30minute battle scene?

Nice.
>>
A movie with okay scenes and a terrible structure. I appreciate it for trying.
>>
>>62768706
who is Colin Ferrel's big budget equivalent
>>
>>62768762
>Guardians of the Galaxy
>>
The first shot of Colin Farrell in this with Angelina jolie is fucking hilarious
That wig, that acting
I liked the designs and music though, kind of miss when ancient epics were the cool thing before capeshit got ridiculously popular
>>
>>62768762
Brad Pitt
>>
>>62768831
>kind of miss when ancient epics were the cool thing before capeshit got ridiculously popular

I agree. It's fucking shame.
>>
>>62768706

OP here, at intermission. Fuck, this movie isn't turning out as good as I had hoped.
>>
>>62768706
OP again, so King Phillips assassin is some kid he butt fucked and raped? Is this shit historically accurate?
>>
>>62769972
Nobody really knows why, but since Oliver Stone is a fucking hack and decided to make the focus of the movie on gay shit that's what he went with.
>>
>>62768730
The Final Cut has a great structure. The theatrical version is garbage though.
>>
>>62769972
Plenty of historians believe Alexander was behind the assassination. But nobody knows like another anon said.
>>
>watching a movie on one half of your laptop screen while posting on /tv/ on the other half

>>>/v/eddit
>>
>>62768706
I find the mix of homo eroticism and misogyny quite interesting.
>>
>>62768706
Even though this movie wasn't that great, it got more negative reviews solely from the controversy surrounding the portrayal of Alexanders sexuality
Such things wouldn't happen these days

It shows ho much society changed these past 10 years ago
>>
>>62770170
I'm watching on a 52" in my living room with my laptop near me. I'm not a poor child like you anon. I
>>
>>62770209
I am pretty sure most of the reviewers were pro gay Jewish liberals. The movie was even too gay for them.
>>
>>62768831
>>62768879
Blame 300. It single handedly cheapened ancient epics
>>
> that fucking jungle battle

Some scenes in this movie were pretty damn impressive
>>
>>62770148
Alexander's mother Olympias is the more popular theory.
As it was Philip's second wife Eurydice who had a child of pure Macedonian blood and thus heir to the throne over Alexander.
And after Philip's assassination she ordered the death of Eurydice and her son; the first in line to be king so Alexander could be crowned king of Macedonia.
>>
>>62770392
I remember the one in India being particularly cool
>>
>>62770392
OP here. The India battle with the War Elephants was pretty good.
>>
Most beautiful movie ever made, watched it when I was in high school at my home cinema. We used to drink several bottles of fine wine and yell "I*M WITH YOU ALEXANDER!!" during the scenes, I watched it plenty of times alone and I just get lost in its marvoulous great nature. A movie and universe I never wanted to end.

>Personal preferrence aside
The movie got unorthadox cuttings and structure, it puts up text like "left flank" etc something most directors avoid, people complain about angeline maybe they are right but I dont care. I do admit direction wise it wouldnt fly with too much with the public and can understand them giving it medium score.

But personally I love it incredibly, smoke hashis and watch that girl, or fag boega dance, feels like an eternity, the relationship with Hephastion, or the drunken emotional fights, no film has captured me like Alexander.

>also

For those who do not realize it, they will never release an epic like alexander, or stories about the oddesey or anything else in such greatness anymore, if they do, it will be a short cgi-infested shitfest, like the piece of shit film Noah.

Those golden ages of cinema are gone in favour of grimdark cgi cowshit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1jKI1TJN7o
>>
>>62770585
I do love it even for its many faults. Better to watch bits of Greatness than a continuum of mediocrity.
>>
Watched it yesterday, a lot of it was gay af to be honest family
>>
>>62770613
I love it too, all of it, I'm just acknowledging it's structure is very unorthadox and uncommon and will put average person away.

I don't think many people have ever seen an intermission in a movie before.

Other than that, it's not the current market or anyone daring to finance movies like this anymore anymore, it takes real balls for someone to make an epic today.

People rather want the plastic fallout 4 instead of the deep morrowind.

I wish the movie was longer, I wanted to see more city shots from the balcony with hephastion
>>
>>62770691
What makes fallout 4 shallow. I see nothing but positive reviews for it. I haven't played the game btw.
>>
>>62770746
Sorry I'm probably nostalgia fag, or tryhard "hardcore" gamer.

Morrowind which is created by bethesda, had tons of lore to get entrenched into, very high amount of depth, then oblivion and skyrim came along and all magic disappear, all discussions became limited and voiced, whole gameplay became extemely simplified. Even my 10 year old niece can kill dragons easily, when we realy want to struggle to level 50, and still get scared to death going up against a dragon.

Fallout 4 is not a bad stand-alone game, its easy to pick up and kill enemies for shallow fun, but all depth has been removed and it's not captivating. Its just simple fun that appeals to the majority, when alot of us are wishing for a very deep hardcore game.
>>
I like how opulent this movie is. Asia is incredible.
>>
>>62770585
>A movie and universe I never wanted to end
I pretty much felt the same.
Even though Jolie was bad, laughably so. Farrel was miscast and at first hard to take seriously as Alexander. I became captivated by the movie and was drawn into the story and battles.
It's not a great movie but it did have a certain charm that felt like a throwback to the old Hollywood epic historicals.
Hephaistion was sexy as fuck. No homo
>>
>>62768706
>>62769719

just wait till you get to the homosex parts where Alexander and every Greek is being portrayed as AIDS ridden LGBT dildo waving degenerate freak of natures
I'm not even Greek, but that really made my blood fucking boil. Oliver Stone should have been gangbanged by a pack of gay niggers for this.
>>
>>62770939
So it's historically accurate?
>>
>>62770209
>It shows ho much society went down to shit these past 10 years ago
Fixed.
>>
>>62770939
OP here. I finished it, and yes that shit was stupid as fuck. Also, King Phillip's assassin being some kid he butt fucked in his early life...

>>62770950
There are parts of this history that are unknown to us, and Oliver Stone decided to be an idiot and turn everything into a faggot shit.
>>
>>62770585
Same desu

I watched the entire 3:30 hour version (guessing the extended cut?) and was entranced. It was weird, but I grew such an admiration for Alexander and his desire to go further, even though it was a fucking movie. Seriously, those scenes at the Hindu kush and when he asks his men to keep going made me yearn to join him or some shit.

When it ended and the music kicked in, I got really sad because I realised that movies such as these will never be produced again. Just look at the hobbit vs. lord of the rings ffs.

Despite all it's bad reviews I think this movie has a great charm to it. Even though it felt very long (like I was watching an entire season of a tv show) I never wanted it to end because I was fascinated by the universe of Alexander's conquests.
>>
>>62770950
Not really no. It's hip these days "HELLOOOO IT'S 2015!!!!!" to decry everything and everyone as a faggot and gay by libshit kike history revisionists and those who have been brainwashed by them. Namely the utterly useless Gen X, Y and Z tards and especially women from those worst generations.
If you believe those faggot enablers, Hitler and Stalin were gay, so was Napoleon, DaVinci, Michelangelo, Christoph Kolumbus, etc. pp.
Sure there was some butt fucking in ancient Greek, no one can deny it, but so was some goat fucking.
Painting a whole nation and its most shining son as a bunch of cave explorers though is way over the fucking line.
>>
>>62771049

I am glad at least they didn't turn Alexander into a feminist. Enjoyed the anti female parts
>>
>>62770972
The Greeks and Macedonians were bisexual as fuck.
It's entirely possible that Philip's assassin Pausanias was an ex-lover or fuck buddy.
>>
>>62771096
It still isn't interesting to be forced fed Jared Leto's beautiful eyes for 3 hours. Just because it happened doesn't mean it needs to be on screen. I just wish we got a few more battles instead of awkward homo eroticism.
>>
>>62771096
>It's entirely possible
Fill in the ________. Is not good history.
>>
>>62771215
ok bro, seeing as that's what Historians have been doing for about 2000 years.
>>
File: 1415582448522.jpg (30 KB, 412x351) Image search: [Google]
1415582448522.jpg
30 KB, 412x351
>Born too late to follow Alexander to the edge of the world
>>
>>62771148
After my third viewing I read reviews that said Hephastion and Alexanders were lovers, but director was too afraid to show this.

I do not agree or accept it, they loved each others hearts and mind, like soulmates, deepest brotherhood. Then sjw tries to play it of as sexual and romantic type of love. They had unconditional love and was the only one the could trust in the world, so I do not agree with someone claiming it was gayshit because it wasnt.
>>
>>62771243
Yeah, and there is something called historiography, look it up.

The narrative always changes. It's more likely this anon >>62771294 is correct
>>
>>62771294
There is a scene were Alexander gets in bed with his servant boy. Homo sex is definitely implied. However I understand what you mean. Homosexuality wasn't a thing back then.

Aristotle made a reference earlier in the film how the deepest love is between two men because women are lesser beings. This is perhaps what the director was going for.
>>
>>62770226
52 inches? You have gaping asshole my friend.
>>
>>62771351
Are you homophobic?

Or just spend a lot of time on /pol/?
>>
File: 13924-26591.gif (42 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
13924-26591.gif
42 KB, 320x240
>Young Hephaistion:
Can a man love a woman equally, Master?

>Aristotle:
A woman? Of course not. A woman is a slave to her passions, Hephaistion. Though, naturally, there are exceptions, and we must honor them. Such as Athena, the goddess of wisdom and war. But never forget, she was sprung not from the loins of Zeus, but from his mind.

>Roasties BTFO
>>
>>62771294

>so I do not agree with someone claiming it was gayshit because it wasnt.

Dude let's be real here a little bit of gayshit was probably involved.

I don't know why it'd annoy you, though.
This all happened thousands of years ago.
>>
>>62771451
We literally can't separate them in the historical record: this was probably intentional on their part. Seriously, the name Hephaistion pretty quickly became simply another epithet for Alexander because they don't act separately in the historical record. They took what Aristotle said about them when they were kids to heart: one soul residing in two bodies. Or, as Alexander says at the beginning of the movie, "you are not wrong Princess, he too is Alexander". He wasn't just being nice there you know, he was saying how he actually felt. We might describe it as a deep friendship, but that's rather inadequate too. More than most married couples or lovers ever could, Alexander and Hephaistion built and shared a life, the life that they wanted to live.
>>
>>62771498

Some nice mental gymnastics, but I still find it very telling that you initially declared that "it wasn't" as if you have any verifiable way of being sure. Especially given the uniquely close bond of the two and the fluid sexual dynamics back then.

You sound like you're projecting onto this and having it be what you'd prefer it to be. Not even conceding the possibility of it in a situation where we simply don't know confirms your position to be as much.
>>
>>62771601
Aristotle, described such a friendship as "... a single soul abiding in two bodies". Such was the love between those two men. Affection, that's probably the best word to describe their relationship. Because Alexander and Hephaestion didn't lie together in lust, they competed to bring out the good, best in each other, this is the love between men that built the city state and lifted the people from their frog pond.
>>
>>62771637

>Such was the love between those two men.

Third-party anecdotal testimony of a relationship that he was never privy to see behind closed doors.

Don't you think it's a bit weird that you're super into this whole dude love dynamic between the two but the very possibility of this is simply out of the question for you?
>>
>>62771776
Are you speaking historicly, or are we discussing the movie?

Historicly I do not know, but if we talk based from the movie, they were not in a sexual relationship together, reasons stated above. This is confirmed multiple times you should watch it for yourself.
>>
>>62770667
Tjena swedebro.
>>
>>62771876
Kenner du mig?
>>
>>62771848

>Historicly I do not know

What? But you were clearly speaking historically as well:
>>62771294
You say here that people have inferred in their reviews of the film that the director was "too afraid" to show a physical relationship that people are claiming as having happened between the two historically, only to disregard their speculations and state that "I do not agree" with those historical claims. How is this not speaking on it historically?

And now you go from "I do not agree" to "I do not know"?
>>
>>62772016
There was no sexual activity between Hephiastion and alexander in the movie, nor are they gay lovers is what I have been stating since the beginning.

Is it so hard to understand? And why do you keep discussing this issue, do you have mental problems or are you pulling a very bad, boring troll? You have been talking about this for almost two hours.
>>
>>62772090

You have been projecting like a closet case all thread. I was a bit boring with my posts because I wanted to go light on you about it.
>>
>>62770667
Isn't Alexander supposed to be gay anyway?
So what did you expect?
>>
>>62768706
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYchCMe5btI
Battle of Gaugamela was fucking awesome
>>
File: image.jpg (215 KB, 766x1193) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
215 KB, 766x1193
Was it murder?
>>
>>62770137
What does the extra forty minutes fix, exactly?
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.