[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Average person compared to many other people on this board
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 12
>Average person compared to many other people on this board
>Realize I don't own any of the Star Wars movies
>Find out that these just came out but are the special editions
>tfw nervous about getting any of the Star Wars films on Blu-Ray just because of some nerd arguments.

Are the special editions really that bad? I want to own the Star Wars films on Blu-Ray but I feel like I might have not gotten as much as I paid for.
>>
>>62756519
Some of the retouched scenes are kind of nice. Exterior shots of spaceships, explosions, a lot of the outdoor scenes on Tattoine in A New Hope are nice.

A lot of the hate (spergish as it may be at times) is typically directed at a few things:
-Changing Iconic scenes for the sake of change e.g. "Han shoots first" and Vader's cringeworthy "NOOOOOOOooooooOooooo" in Jedi.

-The other big one is the fact after they were released we were told that the theatrical cuts would never again be released. That's when all hell kinda broke loose.

I enjoyed the Special Editions on some level, as a novelty, really. And then to tell us that this juggernaut franchise that was adored by millions is gone and here's a better one was insulting, to say the least. At least Coke drinkers got their Classic formula back after they went apeshit.

Those are, for now, your only way of seeing it on blu-ray until Fox and Disney can work out some kind of deal so if you insist on hi-res that's it but I'd stoll suggest trying to track down or stream thr originals if you really want to see what it was that made us older guys froth at the mouth all those years ago.
>>
the only real offensive changes made to the original movies specifically in the blurays is vader yelling "noo' in return of the jedi and Hayden Christenson's face in teh ghosts.

If that doesn't kill it for you, the blu rays are no different from the special edition.
>>
The inconsistence of having villains on the cover of all of them except Attack of the Clones pisses me off. It reeks of George Lucas.

Maybe that was the intention.
>>
Just find the despecialized editions online. The files are close to 10gb, but he takes all the great effects that were added, and leaves out all the rest that ruin the feel of the movies.
>>
>>62757037
Why isn't that Dooku?
That should really be him unless by Yoda accepting the Clone army it makes him the true villain.
>>
>>62757118
this

Even though the ending of RotJ is pretty ridiculous, adding Christenson's ghost just ruins the film
>>
>Empire Strikes Back cover has a fucking Stormtrooper on the cover and not a named character.
>>
>>62757037
because Yoda is the true villain
>>
File: goutboxes.jpg (89 KB, 515x245) Image search: [Google]
goutboxes.jpg
89 KB, 515x245
If you want to own the movie just to own it just to own it, but those Steelbooks were made to get money off SW autists.
The SE's are pretty bad
They kill the once impressive visuals of the original cuts with then timely CG and kill the original pacing in some parts.
The Steelbooks are overpriced and shoddy and just to make a quick buck before any other type of re-release is done by Disney.
The masters on the blu ray in quality are also poorly remastered as a whole with odd colour correction and crushed blacks
People will recommend fan remasters like Despecialized or that other one that upscales the Laserdisc rips.
As for owning a legitimate copy of the original cuts, either the 2006 2 disc DVD or the VHS/Laserdisc are kind of your only option.
>>
>>62756519

Episodes 2 and 5 covers are garbage
>>
>>62757307
Ep1- Darth Maul
Ep2- Yoda
Ep3- Palpatine
Ep4- Obi Wan
Ep5- Darth Vader
Ep6- Luke

How fucking hard was that? If they were gonna put a storm trooper on one of the covers they should have swapped ANH & ESB.

Also, I forgot about Christensen at the end of ROTJ in my earlier post. By that point I think I'm so put off by the new song my eyes are off the screen and reaching for the remote.
>>
File: 1427077601588.jpg (7 KB, 400x171) Image search: [Google]
1427077601588.jpg
7 KB, 400x171
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiDRgDmXGi4
>>
The new editions have some cgi added to them which really stands out and the are some other minor changes. If you're not autistic about this shit and you want to have the movies physically on BluRay, go for it.
>>
>>62757118
I don't think he leaves in any of the effects that were added, not that I could tell anyway. Even the changes that genuinely improve the films (Cloud City actually looking like a city instead of a cheap painting/toy set) are scrapped in favour of reverting the trilogy back to its original theatrical state.
>>
File: 4tiYZWr.jpg?1.jpg (76 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
4tiYZWr.jpg?1.jpg
76 KB, 400x300
>>62756519
>Yoda instead of Jango or Dooku
>>
>62757574
Or make the covers reversible and do
>Qui-Gon/Maul
>Yoda/Dooku
>Grevious/Windu
>Obi-Wan/Vader
>Han/Boba
>Luke/Emperor
>>
>>62757867
This
How fuckin hard is that???
>>
File: 23.jpg (879 KB, 788x1069) Image search: [Google]
23.jpg
879 KB, 788x1069
>>
Ep5: Boba Fett
Ep2: Dooku

Then its fixed.
>>
>>62756519
The special editions are shitty piles of crap with stupid pointless changes that make the movies significantly worse.

Literally the only good thing they did was some cleanup of shittier special effects (but fuck all the new CG shots) and replacing the ending song in RotJ. Changing the Emperor in Empire could've been alright if they didn't add the retarded new lines that make the characters seem completely retarded and if he looked as he does in Jedi instead of Episode III.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=II04E2GEJG8
>>
>>62756942
Even if you ignore the whole "Han shot first" and other nitpicky things, the CGI sticks out like a sore thumb. One of the worst examples:
https://youtu.be/2jzZOgLH4KU?t=27s

Compare this to the original:
https://youtu.be/k1sF9veTzuU?t=11s

Also, the "special edition" parody of the Force Awakens teaser literally copy-pasted CGI from the special editions (with the exception of the TIE fighters at the end and Kylo's lightsaber, obviously). It really demonstrates how ridiculous the Special Editions are:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v93Jh6JNBng
>>
>>62757867
I thought about this, most steelbooks just jave a sheet with the credits and a screenshot on the back anyways.

Good list senpai, I'm still not sold on Grievous though when there are more iconic characters. I'd probably swap him with Palpatine and stick Jabba on RoTJ.
>>
>>62758233
What about adding Vader to rots and Tarkin to anh?
>>
>>62757574
Nice list. Hating Chistensen ghost is autistic tho.
>>
>>62758255
>Hating Chistensen ghost is autistic tho.
No it isn't, and you're a fucking retard desu. It undermines the whole point of Vader's redemption at the end when it shows him before he went evil in the first place.
>>
>>62758255
It's not autistic if you hate the prequels. Obi-Wan looked exactly the same as a Force Ghost. Why would Vader suddenly turn back into young Anakin?
>>
>>62757590
Does anyone have the lyrics? They must exist.
>>
>>62758307
The idea is that "Anakin Skywalker" died when he was consumed by the dark side of the force and became Darth Vader, and Darth Vader became Anakin Skywalker again once he killed the Emperor and rid himself of the shackles of the dark side

The change makes sense to me
>>
The worst changes are as follows:
>All the shitty 1990s computer-generated shit
>Greedo shooting in ANH
>Changing Boba's voice in TESB
>Vader saying 'NOOO' at the end of ROTJ
>Hayden Christensen replacing Sebastian Shaw as Anakin
The rest is minimal. But it'd still recommend you just get a fan edit like the Despecialized Editions instead. Unless owning them physically is a big deal you, in which case I'd just wait for the rights to get untangled.
>>
>>62758447
>Darth Vader became Anakin Skywalker again
And became 20 years younger because? He redeemed himself before dying.
>>
>>62757198

Yoda is a villain in every sense of the word.

>Allowed Anakin to be trained even though he KNEW he was destined to be evil
>Accepted the Clone Army
>Urged Luke to kill Vader without even considering that Luke could save him

Honestly what did that little green fucker do that had any positive impact on the galaxy?
>>
>>62756519
>Are the special editions really that bad? I want to own the Star Wars films on Blu-Ray but I feel like I might have not gotten as much as I paid for.

Yeah. But I'll spare you the minor changes, no matter how stupid or unnecessary, only deal breaking shit goes in this list:

ANH
Han solo didn't shoot first looks amazingly terrible.
The added scene with jabba looks amazingly terrible and adds nothing to the story, ruining the pacing.
CGI in mos eisley looks amazingly terrible and ruins the framing.

What's funny is ANH's CGI actually looks more dated than if they changed nothing at all. Practical effects were near their peak, CGI was just getting started and it shows.

Empire just has visual changes, it's totally fine if you're ok with changes and you don't want to say "what the fuck?" out loud while watching the movie. Luke used to have an added scream when falling, but even george realized how retarded it was and took it back out a long time ago.

ROTJ is easily the most damaged my the changes. George lucas is tone deaf. He decided jabba's palace was too gritty in his already kiddy movie. So he adds an embarrassing cringe-inducing song and dance number with a CGI band to lighten the mood, you have to see it to believe it. But he's not done, he then adds a scene of the slave girl being fed to the rancor - that actually disturbed me as a child, kind of like the deliverance rape scene. Then there's the vader "nooooooooooo", but I'm sure all this stuff was mentioned in passing as I typed this.
>>
>>62758601
Oh yeah forgot about the force ghosts.

Fucking why
>>
File: corys in the house.jpg (25 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
corys in the house.jpg
25 KB, 512x512
tfw I own the original VHSs

tfw I've legitimately never watched any of the special editions
>>
>>62758601
Empire isn't just visual changes. It completely deletes Boba Fett's original voice performed by Jason Wingreen with Temuera Morrison's
>>
>>62758641
OH MAN YOU GOTTA
IT'S STAR WARS!
>>
>>62758251
Well, I am a pretty big Peter Cushing fan, he was perfect, all menace. I'd still miss Jabba, though.

>>62758219
I don't disagree with you at all but I nevwr meant to imply that I thought the CGI enhabced the films in any way other than to enjoy as a novelty.

Superfluous stuff like having a shitty looking CGI dewback walk across the screen in ANH or turning the Sarlacc into one of the monsters from Tremors pisses me off. I'm not upset that the Special Editions got made I'm upset that Lucas decided for everyone that these were the "Definitive Edition"

The original cuts are the most important not only because that's the girl we fell in love with but also because we and younger people can see how even with limited resources blockbusters are made.

Like Star Trek Remastered you lose a little something with the enhanced shots but it's neat to watch something you've seen a hundred times for the first time and say "Neat, look what they did there."

If anything these movies are great lessons in how limited even state of the art CGI still is and might always be.
>>
>>62758425
WOOOLA WANG
CHOOPA CHIKIEN POT PIE

>Boba fett takes his hand off his junk when he notices the camera is pointing right at him

CH'IM A HYPNOTIZE YA
LEE YO YO HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
>>
>>62756519
Should have been:

Ep1- Darth Maul
Ep2- Dooku
Ep3- Grievous
Ep4- Tarkin
Ep5- Darth Vader
Ep6- Sheev
>>
>>62758680
Oh yeah forgot about that

The original performance is better, but if you had heard neither or hadn't seen the movies in a long time, the new one wouldn't sound strange, unlike the really damning changes
>>
>>62758255
I'll agree it's not the most egregious change bit I still don't like it. If they really had to do it they shouldn't have had him appear as he did RotS. He was supposed to be looking at a redeemed version of his father and the one he got was from one of the most anguished, darkest points in Anakin's life.
>>
>>62758503
It's a metaphor
>>
>>62756519
ANH is ruined with all the shit added. ESB and ROTJ weren't fucked with as severely so they're still ok.
>>
>>62758820

Ep1- Jar Jar
Ep2- Clone Trooper
Ep3- Youngling
Ep4- Ben Kenobi
Ep5- C3P0
Ep6- Sheev
>>
>>62756942
So what happened with this? Did Lucas just decide to burn any pre Special edition prints? There's absoultely no original version that could be cleaned up and released the way the fans want?
>>
>>62758876
A metaphor for what? Do you mean symbolic? Either way it's fucking retarded and undermines the point that Vader redeemed himself if they don't show him at the same age.
>>
>>62758952
I probably mean symbolic.

It doesn't undermine anything, he appears as he does before he was consumed by the dark side. And if his force ghost appearance can heal all his burns and scars and replace all of his limbs, why can't it make him look younger? Maybe he chose to appear that way.
>>
>>62758117
The backings should have just been the covers.
>>
>>62759016
Why didn't Obi-Wan and Yoda choose to look young then? Why would Anakin choose to look that way? How would Luke even recognize him?
>>
>>62758935
The theory is that the masters weren't stored and maintain properly, and/or the masters were permanently altered to make the special editons

The library of congress asked for a master reel to put in the national film registry, george offered the special editions

There are of course several surviving reels, the kind sent out to theaters, but they have deteriorated over time. One reel of star wars had particularly well intact color because it was made differently, so it got used to fan restorations.

But it things are as bad as people fear, disney will have as hard of a time making theatrical releases as fans do
>>
>>62758935
Nah, this is Star Wars we're talking about, even if Darth Luc'as doesn't have the original cuts vaulted somewhere, some rabid fan with the right amount of money is sure to have them on reel and not just VHS. Hell the library of congress probably has them.

As I understand it, now that Disney owns the franchise I think it boils down to politics between them and FOX, which means $$$ basically.
I think Warner Bros. just went through a very similar thing with getting the rights to distribute the 60's Batman show, which only recently happened even though they've had control of the character on screen for almost 30 years.
>>
>>62759016
Because the point of the film was pretty obvious.

>Obi-Wan says Anakin died when he became Darth Vader

>Luke believes he can be redeemed

Luke is right, Vader redeems himself and becomes Anakin Skywalker again, then dies. He was no longer consumed by the dark side at his death. Sebastian Shaw Anakin makes way more sense.
>>
>>62756519

Shoulda been:

TPM- Maul
AOTC- Anakin
ROTS- Palpatine
ANH- Leia
ESB- Vader
ROTJ- Luke
>>
The got the covers all wrong
>first should be maul
>second should be Natalie's port, man
>third should be darth
>fourth Luke
>fifth yoda
>sixth sheev
>>
>>62759088
Why would they choose to look younger? They don't have any shame about having turned evil. Anakin did what made him feel comfortable.

Luke recognised him because who the fuck else could it possibly be? Maybe that wasn't their first meeting. Maybe the force tood him. Maybe he's not an idiot. Besides, it is the same person in the film universe, the downside to having two different actors portray the same character is that the two people can look quite different, however if it was real life young Anakin and old Anakin would look much more similar
>>
>>62759016
Here's a better theory:

Ghosts have no body, they appear to luke as he chooses to remember them.

But to about your symbolic meaning, old anakin is more symbolic. It represents that vader returned to the light just before his death. By showing young anakin, it suggests the last time his heart was good was when he was young, defeating the point of his redemption. Also what anakin good when he was young? He slaughtered women and children, killed a defenseless prisoner of war, killed more children, killed mace windu, all before he was officially on the dark side. By this chain of logic they should've shown jake lloyd.
>>
>>62759218
George pls
>>
>>62758926
Ep 1-Maul
Ep 2-Clone Trooper
Ep 3- Sheev
Ep 4-Obi Wan
Ep 6-Vader
Ep 7-Luke

It's literally the people the titles of the films are based on
>>
>>62759189
>AOTC- Anakin

Can I buy some weed off you? I'd rather have Dexter Jetster on the fucking cover.
>>
>>62756519
The NOOOOOOO they slapped onto the scene where Sheev is torturing Luke with Vader watching really kills the moment for me. I didn't mind most of the edits, but that was one of the most powerful moments in film I saw as a child and now it's ruined.
>>
>>62759302
The Jedi who returns in Episode VI is Anakin Skywalker

Therefore Hayden Christensen should be on the box for ep6
>>
>>62756519
I'd be pretty happy if they released the Special Edition cut as presented on the DVDs minus the following things:

>Hayden Christensen replacing Sebastian Shaw
>Temuera Morrison replacing the original Boba Fett
>Shitty colour correction

Everything else is ok in my book. Maybe edit out the dinosaur obscuring the heroes in Mos Eisley.

Good stuff:
>Victory Celebration music instead of Yub Nub
>More Wampa scenes
>Cloud City improved
>superfluous Jabba scene at least looks better than on VHS, Jabba doesn't look like a turd now.

Stuff I don't mind:
>Jedi Rocks. Pacing is a bit off with Oola trying to tear herself free of Jabba's leash, that's about it.
>Sarlacc beak
>>
Step back I got this

1 - Battle droid
2 - Super battle droid
3 - Clone trooper

4 - Storm trooper
5 - Snow trooper
6 - Scout trooper

7 - Flame trooper
>>
>>62759670
>not chrome trooper
>>
>>62756519
>''What is this Phantom Menace?
>''The Attack of The Clones has come.''
>''This has to be the Revenge of The Sith.''
>''There is A New Hope.''
>''Are we just going to wait untill The Empires Strikes Back?''
>''And now, the Return of The Jedi has come.''
>>
>>62757830
>Cloud City actually looking like a city instead of a cheap painting/toy set
nigga the cloud city matte paintings are maybe my favorite thing that lucas removed.
>>
>>62757307
Should've been Boba
>>
>>62758447
>The idea is that "Anakin Skywalker" died when he was consumed by the dark side
Jesus Christ, do people even watch these movies? That's what Obi-Wan says. Luke thinks otherwise, and is proven right.
>>
File: FuckYouGrandma.png (1 MB, 600x2400) Image search: [Google]
FuckYouGrandma.png
1 MB, 600x2400
>>62759670
>Grandma picked out some DVDs for your birthday, anon.
>It's the Star Wars, your favorite.
>>
>>62756519
The Blu Rays are great, fuck the neckbeards
>>
File: bravo jorge.jpg (137 KB, 1676x728) Image search: [Google]
bravo jorge.jpg
137 KB, 1676x728
b-bravo
>>
File: 1416694144563.png (394 KB, 718x681) Image search: [Google]
1416694144563.png
394 KB, 718x681
>>62763095
>Doesn't fix the most glaring errors
>New problems like pic related and Vader's pink saber arise
>Instead uses the special editions to butcher the movies with CGI monsters yelling at the camera and to ruin the pacing of the movies with gratuitous "look what we can do now!" effects
>>
>>62759302
You're close

Ep 1-Maul
Ep 2-Clone Trooper
Ep 3- obiwan
Ep 4- Luke
Ep 6- sheev
Ep 7- Vader
>>
Anyone have a link to download the Despecialized Harmy cuts?
>>
>>62756519
I wanna play
ep I - Maul
ep II - Jango Fett
ep III - Palpatine
Ep IV - Vader
Ep V - Boba Fett
EP VI - Luke
>>
>>62756519
I - Maul
II - Yoda
III - Grievous
IV - Vader
V - Stormtrooper
VI - Emperor
Does it bug anyone else that the fucking characters on each movie are so fucking inconsistent? What the hell is up with Yoda being surrounded by bad guys? Why is there a random stormtrooper?

If you wanna do the main antagonist of each movie, why not do
I - Maul
II - Dooku
III - Grievous
IV - Tarkin
V - Vader
VI - Emperor
>>
>>62759302
Except it'd be more Sheev, Jango, Sheev, Luke, Sheev, Luke if that were the case.

>Obi-Wan is the new hope
wut
>>
>>62763391
>I - Maul
>II - Dooku
>III - Grievous
>IV - Tarkin
>V - Vader
>VI - Emperor
That would work much better.
>>
>>62756519
I'm a blu ray pleb so I got them. Empire actually is fine because there's not really any noticeable differences, but the other two are fucked for the reasons everyone describes.

I didn't really notice what was specifically wrong with the transfers at first, just that something was "off" and then I watched the Harmy videos and saw how the colors are all fucked up (it's more noticeable in A New Hope than Jedi).

I guess they're off the market, but the 2006 two discs DVDs weren't that bad. The theatrical version of Return of the Jedi actually looks passable (although the blu ray still blows it away), but the theatrical version of A New Hope looks like dogshit. All those versions are in 4:3, so they're just bad. I got them back in the day just so I could own the original versions in some format.
>>
>>62763658
>the harmy videos
how do i get these without having to sign up forums and shit
>>
>Ep 1-Jar
>Ep 2-Jar
>Ep 3-Mother
>Ep 4-Fuckin
>Ep 6-Binks
>Ep 7-Baybaaaay
>>
File: starwars6.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
starwars6.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>62763304
>>62763814
>https://thepiratebay.mn/torrent/10780866/STAR.WARS.EPISODE.1-3.DESPECIALIZED.EDITION.720p.BRRiP.XViD.AC3-
All 3 of them in pretty good quality

>https://kat.cr/harmy-s-star-wars-despecialized-edition-remastered-v2-5-a-new-hope-mkv-t10258800.html#main
Star Wars in very high quality

>https://kat.cr/harmy-s-the-empire-strikes-back-despecialized-edition-v2-0-t10258760.html#main
Empire Strikes Back in very high quality

>https://thepiratebay.mn/torrent/7462606/Star_Wars__Return_of_the_Jedi%281983%29_-_Despecialized_Edition
Return of the Jedi is pretty high quality

Of course, downloading this is illegal and I don't condone such activity!
>>
File: 20joeif.gif (2 MB, 513x289) Image search: [Google]
20joeif.gif
2 MB, 513x289
>>62764089
>d
>>
>>62756519
I haven't seen the blu-rays but I heard they replaced the godawful episode I Yoda puppet with CGI, which is a good thing.

I'm not really annoyed with the changes from the other special editions (except for Han not shooting first, but it doesn't make the movie unwatchable). I don't know why some people care so much, honestly.
>>
File: ss+(2015-10-01+at+02.25.35).jpg (72 KB, 398x606) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2015-10-01+at+02.25.35).jpg
72 KB, 398x606
>tfw really wanted to get this release
>can't because yoda is the only good guy on the covers
>>
>>62758876
Its like poetry, it rhymes
>>
>>62759595
I feel like I'm the only one that likes the special edition victory music better than that retarded ewok song.
>>
>>62763443
just put sheev on the cover of all of them

even episode 4

i'd buy them
Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.