[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Now that the 4chan team is finally recognizing that there is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4
File: 1430942877177.jpg (75 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1430942877177.jpg
75 KB, 1920x1080
Now that the 4chan team is finally recognizing that there is a difference between films and movies(confirmed by >>62751181 ) How do you feel about the dichotomy?

Some useful info if you still don't know:
“A movie is made for an audience and a film is made for both the audience and the filmmakers. I think that The Game is a movie and I think Fight Club‘s a film. I think that Fight Club is more than the sum of its parts, whereas Panic Room is the sum of its parts. I didn’t look at Panic Room and think: Wow, this is gonna set the world on fire. These are footnote movies, guilty pleasure movies. Thrillers. Woman-trapped-in-a-house movies. They’re not particularly important.” - David Fincher

"My film is not a movie. My film is not about Vietnam. It is Vietnam. It's what it was really like. It was crazy. We were in the jungle, there were too many of us, we had access to too much money, too much equipment, and little by little we went insane." — Francis Ford Coppola

>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film#Terminology_used
>By contrast, in the US "movie" is the predominant form. Although the words "film" and "movie" are sometimes used interchangeably, "film" is more often used when considering artistic, theoretical, or technical aspects, as studies in a university class and "movies" more often refers to entertainment or commercial aspects, as where to go for fun on a date. For example, a book titled "How to Read a Film" would be about the aesthetics or theory of film, while "Lets Go to the Movies" would be about the history of entertaining movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMsp05iSk7s [Open]

movies are about economics.
cinema is about esthetics.
film is about politics.
-"How To Read A Film" by James Monaco

Also the separation is recognized in these texts
Bresson's Notes on the Cinematographer
Tarkovsky's Sculpting in Time
Delleuze's Cinema I&II
>>
Film: Man of Steel

Movie: Every Marvel production
>>
does this mean we get film?
>>
>>62755916
anyone?
>>
Deleuze & Bresson are French; there is no 'movie' in the French language, it comes from 'moving pictures'
>>
>>62755804
Man of steel is shit like all capeshit, go fuck yourself no superhero movie has ever been above 6/10 and have never been even decent action movies.
>>
Patrician test:

>name 3 french movies never before mentioned in the thread
of course the first couple people will get off easy, but it'll weed out a lot of people
>>
a film is shot using film (analog) whereas a movie just means moving pictures (hence "movie"/"talkie"). films are movies but digitally recorded movies are not films
>>
>>62757776

>C'est arrivé près de chez vous
>Le dîner des cons
>Les cages au folles

What'd I win?
The last two are great examples of American directors missing the mark by a mile when bringing over films.

God, I wish American comedy would get good again.
>>
>>62755775
same shit
>>
>>62755775
your autism gave me post.
>>
>>62757776
BLUE
RED
WHITE
>>
Tarkovsky does not distinguish between a film and a movie in his book Sculpting in Time. If you've actually read it you would know that. The words are used interchangeably throughout the text.

In Bresson's Notes on Cinematography, which if you have read, you'd notice that he does make a distinction between two types of films but does not use the words "film" and "movie" for this distinction. The words movie and film are also used interchangeably, though the word movie shows up only seldomly in the text. Furthermore, the distinction he does make is not one between "art" and "mass-produced-entertainment".

Read a damn book and stop spamming this garbage, nigger.
>>
>>62757776
UN PET

get on my level plens
>>
>>62758004
You win nothing, I'm just saying there should be a minimum knowledge of movies before posting
>>
lol you fucking idiots at this meme again
>>
>>62755775
they're synonyms you fuckin mong
>>
>>62758663
>You win nothing
Then I want my movie titles back senpai

>there should be a minimum knowledge
And it begins with French cinema? Bullshit. Look, I get tired of the fucking meme bullshit too, knocking useful threads off the board just to get replies but it happens.

But this elitist bullshit meme is fucking almost as bad. You want a super secret "Ive sucked Malick's balls club" where every post is met with applause and cigar lighting? Then you know what site is best for you.

IT AIN'T FUCKING THIS ONE
>>
>>62759998
>this elitist bullshit
>soclose
would you rather BBC, JUST, FREAK, and bane threads or would you rather people liking entry level directors because they want to fit in
>>
>>62755775
This is the kind of post that will force your psychologist to say "kill yourself. This is too autistic."
>>
>>62759998
i chose french cinema because its just obscure enough not to be watched by tourists and capeshit lovers, but popular enough for anyone interested in cinema.

if nothing else, some newbies found some french movies to watch
>>
File: 2015-11-15 18.45.28.png (256 KB, 1055x1219) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-15 18.45.28.png
256 KB, 1055x1219
This is, and always will be, my definitive list of motion picture definitions on /tv/
>>
>>62755775
>>62760831
Wait, are you retards actually falling for this meme?
>>
>>62760190
No, I want them deleted and the OPs banned when it starts to get out of hand like it is now. But if someone wants a whatever general or posts an "I like X director what next" thread then all the loudest "We demand /film/" need to fucking calm down.

Where would it end anyways? Capeshit threads go and then the posters that are left decide they dont like sci-fi. Well some sci-fi's okay bit only if it's not a franchise. Well it's not a franchise but I didn't sit in silence for four minutes after the credits rolled.

There are facebook groups for this kind of circle-jerking.
>>
>>62761573
>i-i-its a meme;__;
television please go back to /got/
>>
>>62762156
>defending autism this hard
oiamlaffin
>>
File: Untitled plebs.png (77 KB, 1077x519) Image search: [Google]
Untitled plebs.png
77 KB, 1077x519
>>
so /film/ when?
>>
>>62761573
It's not a meme. Check the thread OP linked and there are academic papers in there explaining the difference
>>
>>62762860
LOL
>>
>>62762860
>BUT IT MAKES ME LOOK BAD FOR SPENDING MY ADULT YEARS WATCHING JUVENILE TRASH SO IT'S JUST A MEME AUTIST
>>
Bunch of pretentious cunts
>>
>>62762156
>>62762491
>>62762589
>>62762860

ITS A MEME YOU DIPS
>>
File: 1362548411798.jpg (13 KB, 358x332) Image search: [Google]
1362548411798.jpg
13 KB, 358x332
>>62763258
Are you you bullying me?
>>
>>62762589
Hopefully soon
>>
>>62755775
I hate you neo/tv/ people.

You are the opposite part of the annoying spectrum of the Facebook /sp/ memefaggots who shit up and spam this board too.
>>
give me one good reason /film/ shouldn't happen aside from an empty threat of shitposting
>>
>>62766735
It hurts /v/ feelings
>>
>>62755775
>fight club is goto 'film'

reddit pls go
>>
I mainly use the term film because I enjoy being a pretentious dickhead
>>
>>62766735
>empty
>>
>>62766735
You know exactly why.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.