[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>"Don't try and frighten us with your Sorceror's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 149
Thread images: 10
File: anh05_1.jpg (12 KB, 600x336) Image search: [Google]
anh05_1.jpg
12 KB, 600x336
>"Don't try and frighten us with your Sorceror's ways Lord Vader. Your sad devotion to that ancient religion has not helped you conjure up the stolen data tapes.
>Ancient religion

There were Jedis running around twenty years ago. Why is he acting like their religion is so old?
>>
>>62719828
its still an ancient religion. they died out 20 years ago, nobody disputes that, they died out because the emperor and vader killed them all. The new belief is that the jedi were useless.
>>
>>62719828
Wait for A New Hope version 57 where the word "ancient" is supplanted with "deceased."
>>
Their religion is tens of thousands of years old and, as far as they know, only has two devotees left.

How is tens of thousands of years not ancient?
>>
>>62719828
The jedi had been around for thousands of years before they were wiped out. does this now seem ancient to you?

They were killed , the old making way for the new. He's literally the 80's saying you're time is up Hippy money and cocaine is what matters now.
>>
The bigger gripe I have with this scene is doesn't this guy know that Vader has a short temper and chokes the shit out of people?
>>
>>62719882
Judaism is tens of thousands of years old but nobody calls that ancient
>>
>>62719893
Vader and Palpetine are the 60s fags who never got invited to sex orgy partys so they killed off the jedi.

And the death star is the 80s baby boomer coke heads who think the 60s were a load of shit.

I love it.
>>
>>62719913
/pol/ please leave
>>
>>62719913
That's absolutely incorrect
>>
>>62719897
Moff Tarkin is right there and supposedly Vader's superior and would probably go to Sheev if Vader killed an important council member, the guy probably thought he was protected and could speak his mind.
>>
>>62719897
you would think he would watch his mouth around a 6'6 tall Cyborg with the power to crush people with his mind.
>>
>>62719934
He said the word Jews so he must not like them? Talk about seeing boogeymen everywhere.
>>
That's how they do it in the galaxy far away.
>>
What was the consensus before the prequels came out
I mean doesn't Obi Wan mention him and Anakin fought in the clone wars as generals or something?
Wouldn't that mean they fought alongside these same people?
Or was the implication that the Empire force was a completely foreign force to the Republic?
>>
>>62719913
Force and jedi beliefs aren't commonly practiced in that setting, unlike Judaism.
>>
>>62719872
>line is dubbed over the original by hayden christianson
>>
>>62719947
But it breaks down the logic of the entire scene. He's sitting there calling the force hocus pocus but Vader can demonstrably use the force whenever he wants to choke people. It doesn't make any sense unless for some reason none of those Death Star officials have ever seen Vader use his powers before.
>>
>>62719947
Grand Moff . Somehow being Vader superior is such a joke. But i guess you have to have a normie to control the normies reeeeeeee
>>
>>62719969
20 years is hardly what I would call ancient history.
>>
>>62720007
i see your problem.
>>
>>62719828

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EarlyInstallmentWeirdness
>>
>>62719994
and yet, they know he was a force user, its why he was mocking his ancient religion.
>>
He was being facetious. The Jedi are so irrelevant in this day and age they might as well have been gone 1000 years.
>>
File: 617LSoe - Imgur.jpg (19 KB, 346x346) Image search: [Google]
617LSoe - Imgur.jpg
19 KB, 346x346
If someone was walking around believing in Norse gods and stuff really, really seriously, wouldn't you also call him out on his sad devotion ancient religion?
>>
>>62720142
Not if he could call upon Thor to smite me for making fun of him in that moment.
>>
Because despite the movies being centered around the Jedi and Sith, very few people ever actually encountered the Jedi. Most people think they're just normal dudes that are hyped up by rumor. The Jedi order consisted of what? 100? 200 people? What are the chances of someone meeting a Jedi?
>>
File: koi.png (77 KB, 577x524) Image search: [Google]
koi.png
77 KB, 577x524
>>62719828
>Why is he acting like their religion is so old?
George Lucas
>>
>>62720142
only until he chokes with with his Norse magic.
>>
>>62720168
10,000 according to the prequels
>>
>>62719828

Because in 1977 A New Hope didn't exist. There was just a little sci-fi movie called Star Wars, with no sequels or prequels planned. The Force was just an obscure religion with very few followers, and had always been that way.
>>
Before the Clone Wars, Jedi were about one in a million and mostly just dealt with non-violent conflict resolution. Most people had probably never seen one before and almost nobody would have seen their powers in action. Most people probably didn't even truly believe they had any special powers.

The jedi were generals in the Clone Wars and would have seen a lot of combat action, but the only people who saw them fight were usually just clones, who turned on them later anyway.

After the Clone Wars, talking about the jedi in any positive way would probably be seen as treasonous, so those who had anything good to say about them kept their mouth shut while the skeptics could now say whatever they liked without opposition, spreading their own views.
>>
>>62719828
the jedi had been around for thousands of years and for the past few decades the galaxy and the empire had been moving away from the jedi ideals.

He considered the religion to be no longer relevant and was basically calling it out of date and not fitting for modern civilization.
>>
>>62720288

>JEDI
>IN THIS YEAR
>I MEAN COME ON VADER
>>
>>62719988
I kekked, I admit it.

Also, checked.
>>
>>62719828
Because George Lucas is a hack. By having Leia and Luke be born during the events of Episode 3 he made it so the Clone Wars were only 19 years before the 1977 film and the Empire had only been in existence for two decades.
>>
>>62720168
Are you suggesting that there was no news or television in this technologically advanced galaxy spanning civilisation? I'd have thought that the exploits of the main advisors to the Republic and of the magic battle generals in a galaxy spanning war would be well documented.
>>
>>62720391
two decades is a long time.
think about if the nazis were active and unopposed for two decades and also had space ships.
>>
>>62719828

I always took it as a figure of speech.
>>
>>62719828

I've seen this post a lot lately. And my answer is the same:

Nerds are dumb and are trying to figure out "in-universe" logic too much. The reason is that the jedi were defeated not only militarily, but also ideologically. So the reason why people like Motti dismiss them is because the Jedi really were frauds.
>>
>>62719828
Hey Han Solo has the same things in his pockets in the new movies as that guy.
>>
>>62720554
Additionally, there were like 10,000 Jedi in the galaxy total. That's not very much in the grand scheme of things, so most people would only know them from stories and hearsay, even with them being commanding officers in the Clone Wars. Add in Sheev's propaganda machine and there you go.
>>
>>62719913
>Tens of thousands
WHOA WHOA WHOA. WHOOA OH WHOA HOLD ON THERE GOY
>>
File: sheev realization.webm (385 KB, 556x480) Image search: [Google]
sheev realization.webm
385 KB, 556x480
>yfw your own servants don't believe in your powers
>>
>>62721200
Spark plugs?
>>
>>62719828
The prequels don't exist.
There, I just saved you from this logical conundrum of yours.
>>
>>62721801
Wow, are you trying to downplay the fact that the Sith just up and murdered 1 million Jedi with the help of the clones? You know, I'm sure that some of them had family members that were upset that the Sith killed 10 million Jedi. Maybe you should be careful before hatefully voicing your doubt that the Sith just callously slaughtered 100 million Jedi in order to once more rule the Galaxy.
>>
>>62719828
I think the galaxy is very big and even during the reign of the Jedi, most people never even got in contact with some one who got in contact with someone who got in contact with someone who knows somebody who witnessed a jedi in action.

How many jedis are there? 20 000? 100 000? Thing of how big just coruscant is. It's possible that even coruscants doubted the jedi were are all that during the clone wars (where jedi feats were witnessed by droids and clones mostly)
>>
>powerful space wizard with a laser sword commands troops and admirals for years
>this guy comes in and talks shit for some reason

Bravo, George.
>>
>>62719828
Because George Lucas never had a plan past the first Star Wars film.

It was only after he was told to do a sequel that he had to build an entire universe out of it.
>>
>>62719828
I would say it was a little bit of hyperbole brought on by the good lieutenant's hubris brought on by his confidence in the power of the D-Star.
>>
>>62719828

Originally, that's not how Lucas imagined it. Jedi and Sith were indeed ancient and not many were known. It's not common knowledge.

Empire and Republic had been at war for centuries and millennia, formerly. Then Lucas farted.
>>
>>62719893

Wrong.

It's obvious that in this film, nobody has really seen Jedi or Sith at work and many don't even think Vader can do anything special.
>>
>>62723377
Fayth in your momma.
>>
>>62719897

You've never seen someone run their mouth at a guy that could beat the shit out of them?

Happens all the time.
>>
File: Ho1Xzw2.png (174 KB, 726x312) Image search: [Google]
Ho1Xzw2.png
174 KB, 726x312
>>62723503
>Have you ever encountered a Jedi Knight before, sir?

Well...my sister's boyfriend's first cousin has an aunt that dated a guy whose brother's daughter's best friend saw a guy in a robe who might have been carrying a lightsaber...but then again, it might have been for a costume party.

So no, not really.
>>
>>62719828
>OP accepts the prequels as part of the star wars universe
>>
>>62724075
>Still butthurt over the prequels
>>
>>62724014
They no match for the droidekas.
>>
>>62719828
Yeah, this never sat right with me either.

It's why the prequels should have had Obi-Wan as the main character, sort of a devotee to a religion that hasn't been a proper force of any form in centuries. There's maybe a dozen Jedi at any given time, and that includes oldsters like Yoda.

The motivation would be that there's a prophecy or some shit that The Force would rouse itself once more. That's why Anakin gets drafted as prophecy boy, blah blah.
>>
>>62720000
Sick quads breh
>>
>>62719828

Prequels are full retard. Just ignore them.
>>
>>62719994
Vader is a practicer of the religion. Those commanders are above him in terms of rank. The person talking shit to Vader is either equal or higher in rank.

It's like a commander talking down to a lower ranking officer, but then the lower ranking officer bitch slaps the commander with his sidearm.
>>
>>62719828

Because he's one of those "young brash executive" types that are a fucking trope.

Notice how everyone else shuts the fuck up in the room and just eyeballs Vader who casually walks over and starts choking the idiot.

They all know what's up.

The uppity dick was probably clueless about the jedi because he's one of those people who buy into the propaganda.
>>
>>62725931

Hardly.
You can tell even in ANH that Vader is outside of chain of command.
He does obey Tarkin but never say anything like "yes sir" or "yes commander". He merely acknowledges that Tarkin is in charge of the station.
Do note that Vader does as he pleases throughout the movie.
He fucks off to sortie on his own, he pursues Kenobi on his own and he barks out orders when he feels like it.
>>
File: just fuck my prophecy up.jpg (221 KB, 626x958) Image search: [Google]
just fuck my prophecy up.jpg
221 KB, 626x958
>>62719828
He was talking about the Sith. That's the religion that Vader was devoted to.

The Sith hadn't been seen for a millennia, so therefore "ancient".
>>
>>62726108
So he's like the inquisition.
>>
>>62719969
Judaism is not widely practiced either. They only comprise 2% of the world population
>>
>>62724631
>oldsters
>not oldlings
>>
>>62723377
I don't think he advertises his powers. Like, only some people actually know any force users. Han Solo was dismissive of the Force, and he's been around the block. Force users were essentially genocided. Now that I think about it, Darth Vader seemed far too eager to show off his powers. SHIT WRITING.
For most of the galaxy, Palpatine's just an old man who happens to be the dictator of the galactic empire.
>>
>>62720284
this tee bee eich
>>
>>62719828
He isn't a "badass" he is fucking stupid. Evolution has given us tools to survive. If you touch fire you feel pain. If you are near a large animal alone defenseless you feel fear. You see two niggers walking towards you, you cross the street because of common sense. He ignored all of that. This is someone who doesn't deserve to have his genes passed on.
>>
>>62726911
Sheev is just that kinda weird but surprisingly nice old uncle who always seem to be laughing and having a good time. Sure you might be a little awkward around him at first, and he can be a little scary when upset, but other than that he's always doing some really cool and interesting things and seems to be talented in a wide variety of areas.
>>
>>62726146
More a Commissar
>>
Making the Jedi so ridiculously powerful was probably the worst thing the prequels did, because it made the attitudes about the Jedi/force in the OT seem kind of implausible.

The Trade Guild just about shit fish nuggets when two Jedi boarded their ship and Master Yoda was seen throwing troop ships around on the busiest planet in the Republic and not even 20 years later people were like "meh, it's just a legend"
>>
>>62727775
>Make the Jedi ridiculously powerful
>Sheev still basically single-handedly destroys the entire Order

What an amazing man
>>
>>62727775
>Master Yoda was seen throwing troop ships around on the busiest planet in the Republic

Genndy Wars isn't canon anymore anon. And with all the inconsistencies between it and the Labyrinth of Evil novel, some would argue it never was.
>>
>>62727151
>>>/pol/
Back to your containment board
>>
>>62728914
Is back to /pol/ now basically you offended me? I said nothing about the jews.
>>
>>62719828
The Grand Moffs are fedora atheists
>>
>>62729412
You know exactly what you said skinhead and that kind of shit isn't tolerated outside of that board so gtfo
>>
Because Motti is a fucking badass and gives not fuck one.
>>
>>62719828
>Sorcerer's ways

so are there Sorcerer's?
>>
>>62720142
But the Norse religion died like a millennium ago, not two decades ago
>>
File: 1434235533860.jpg (437 KB, 1508x1493) Image search: [Google]
1434235533860.jpg
437 KB, 1508x1493
>>62729695
>>
>>62720165
Except you wouldn't know that. Like that officer obviously didn't know that Vader could choke him out.

The galaxy is a big place with only three force users in the last 20 years. It makes sense that people would be skeptical. Even when the council was still running around, that would only be a couple hundred spread out amongst the population of the Republic which has got to at least be a few trillion. Most people would have zero experience with jedi.
>>
>>62719828
The Prequel Trilogy is a bunch of non-canon fanfic-tier shyte. Darth Vader inventing C-3PO my ass.
>>
>>62729882

Sheev
>>
>>62719828
Because the preqel retcons fucked up continuity.
>>
>>62730439

ARGHHHHHHHH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ve1889zS030
>>
>>62729695
nigger nigger nigger nigger nigger
>>
>>62730377
> Most people would have zero experience with jedi.
He's in top brass, and is in the same council as The Emperor's left and right hands.
Surely he must have seen a video of one of them doing force shit
>>
>>62729695
good b8
high five nigger
>>
File: uncropped.jpg (4 MB, 3000x2000) Image search: [Google]
uncropped.jpg
4 MB, 3000x2000
>only a few people in the entire thread are level headed/rational enough to see that george lucas decided to change the story

in the context of a new hope the jedi are exactly what obiwan kenobi describes them as on tatooine; watchful protectors of the old republic who seldom had to use their force-based powers and likely had little to no contact with ordinary people most of the time. they were, for all intents and purposes, monks in a similar parallel to those the real world. the dude calls him out because he has never seen a jedi do anything with the force before.

in the context of george lucas' (and soon to be disney's) retarded extended storyline, the jedi are literally superhuman(/alien) superheroes with magical fantastic powers that spend all of their lives murdering people and droids and bad guys in cold blood with physics breaking abilities and are known throughout the entire universe on every planet and in every culture.

god i fucking hate what happened to this franchise.
>>
>>62719947
So if Tarkin was there why did Vader even start choking him?
>>
>>62720168
Because they were the generals of the army he served in as a young man you dip.
>>
>>62731036
>would you fuck me?
>I'd fuck me.
>not now, kenji! Keep running!
>>
>>62728002
Yet it was the only good thing about the prequels.
>>
>>62730439
he was a sith not a sorcerer
>>
>>62728914
>>62729695
Go back to your gender neutral bathroom and slash your wrists you nigger cunt.
>>
>>62719828
He looks like Jez there.
>>
>>62731281
There's lots of talk of force users being witches and sorcerers in the EU.
>>
>>62731324
>A lot of non cannon about witches and sorcerers

oh do go on.

Does actual magic exist in Star Wars?
>>
>>62731350
>cannon
>>
>>62719994
He was newfag. Didn't believe the rumors, and never saw Vader kill someone with just his mind.
>>
>>62719828
9/10 b8
>>
>>62731350
>Does actual magic exist in Star Wars
Yeah. The force. Unless you're a dummy who thinks the force is anything but space flavoured magic.

Either way, they're just refering to the force either derogatorily or ignorantly, or in some cases, that's just the word they use for force users.
>>
>>62731436
The force isn't magic it's midichlorines
>>
>>62719828
>"Mark stop trying to 'force choke' me and tell me where you've hidden the remote??"
>>
>>62731444
what exactly is the purpose of midichlorians? Like, why did anyone think they were a good idea?
>>
>>62731350
Most of the time, it is just a force sensitive using their ability. That looks like magic and sorcery to anyone who doesn't know about the Force. Even many of the force sensitives think it is magic and they are wizards and witches, because they don't know about the force.

The Clone Wars did have some magic in it when dealing with the witches. But if some nerd thought hard enough, they'd find some way to twist it around to science fantasy (ie, ancient nanotech that the witch eldest was tapping into, etc)
>>
>>62731602
I think they thought it would make the force more sci-fi since it was, until then, full blown fantasy magic. It was a terrible idea to fix a non-problem, if that's correct.
>>
>>62723803
Do you have anything to back that second statement?
>>
this is now an wookieepedia thread

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Breast
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Chair
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Fast_food
>>
File: image.jpg (88 KB, 438x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
88 KB, 438x600
>>62731719
"There hasn't been a full-scale war since the formation of the Republic!"
- Sio Bibble in The Phantom Menace
>>
>>62731719
ANH drafts.
>>
Can someone post the copypasta of this guy

also >>62732044

FUCK YES
>>
>>62732044

"Okay, so a wood chair won't hurt you."
―Han Solo
>>
So basicly sheev was keeping vader alive with the power of the force alone and the suit was just to for show then? All that happened to him was he lost a mechanical hand and got zapped a bit. Then sheev dies and vader says nothing can stop his death now. He keeps referecing that luke doesnt even know the power of the dark side. Did he think that sheev was keeping him alive and making him do his bidding, knowing he could never betray him because it would be suicide? Interesting to think about anyway
>>
>>62732616
Fan fic better than lucas
>>
>>62720429
Star Wars is heavily based on Dune, a setting on which people intentionally avoid any technology which could be interpreted as making men weaker or less "human" and interplanetary communication is limited to the elite. A lot of modern commodities being absent in Star Wars is an artifact of that.
>>
>>62732856
>Star Wars is heavily based on Dune

Sheev coming back like Baron Harkonnen when?
>>
>>62732895
>coming back like Baron Harkonnen
when the fuck did that happen?
>>
>>62732922
That's from the third book in the series. Alia gets posessed by the ego of the Baron in her Other Memories.
>>
>>62732959
oh right, that.
>>
>>62719828

is it really a religion if the force actually exists?
>>
>>62733088
>is it really a religion if God actually exists?
>>
>>62719828
because the prequels fucked up the timeline
>>
>>62733168
what timeline are we on then
>>
>>62733331
The one where george lucas made the prequels without any regard to established canon or having any of the dialogue in the OT make sense in light of the verbal diarrhea in the PT
>>
File: wew.png (7 KB, 250x202) Image search: [Google]
wew.png
7 KB, 250x202
>>62726911
it's weird that he's so dismissive of the force, when his best bud Chewbacca helped out Yoda back in the day. He understands what Chewie says so I'm sure they must've talked about it.
>>
>>62733449
just because your best friend wants you to know and be saved by jesus christ doesnt mean you're automatically going to believe him
>>
So how would you fix Star Wars, /teevee/?
>>
>>62719913

It's still around.
>>
>>62731662
>The Clone Wars did have some magic in it when dealing with the witches. But if some nerd thought hard enough, they'd find some way to twist it around to science fantasy (ie, ancient nanotech that the witch eldest was tapping into, etc)

Those witches were straight up magic and voodoo. How can someone deny that.
>>
>>62731036
MODS
>>
>>62731036
CP
CHEESE PIZZA
CHILD PORNOGRAPHY
>>
>>62719828
Well it IS an ancient religion, considering they've been around for thousands of years old

>>62720391
2 decades of propaganda, son

>>62720429
There were tons of planets that may have never seen a Jedi, or just not believed in the Jedi's religion. You might know that people have "seen" "ghosts", but we all have different explanations for that phenomena.
>>
>>62719828
Why do people post these threads the prequels were dumb end of of story.
>>
If the Emperor died of natural causes, who succeeds him?
>>
>>62731205
He was probably a low level grunt if at all in the army. Most of the Republic's troops were clones, save for the Jedi, a few normalfag commanders, and random allies.
>>
>>62733899
Vader
>>
>>62724014
Thank you, Simone.
>>
>>62724014
Gave me a good kek
>>
>>62727551
Or an SS kommandant, someone who kicks down doors, tortures and gets shit done and doesn't afraid of anything.
>>
>>62733112
rekt
>>
>>62719934
reddit please leave
>>
>half of /tv/ catalog is shills, me-too-brah tools and lost causes spammin SW
>the new movie is due in less than a month
>everyone is take your hype and shove it, already skipped to annoyed without passing a glimmer of new hope
>>
>>62720168
During the prequels, even people from backwater shithole planets seemed fairly aware of what jedi were and what they could do, and didnt act all shocked when they saw a lightsaber
Thread replies: 149
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.