[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /tv/, what makes an Oscar Bait movie? I understand some like
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (148 KB, 800x1200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
148 KB, 800x1200
Hey /tv/, what makes an Oscar Bait movie? I understand some like 12 Years A Slave since it involves a subject such as racism, but what about something like Birdman? Is it the large ensemble cast?
>>
you're a dumb cunt if you think birdman is oscar bait
>>
A movie about the industry is a pretty safe bet. 3 out of the last 5 best picture winners were about hollywood.
>>
>>62711079
Birdman is total Oscar bait. The whole thing is a "clever" story that would appeal to Hollywood industry morons. It was pandering garbage.
>>
>>62711143
But the meme cinematography made my fedora tip so hard.
>>
>>62711143
Did you and me even watch the same film? its actually making fun of the whole hollywood scene
>>
>>62711190
That's why it's "clever".
>>
How to be a /tv pleb:
1: find something thats good and popular
2: Hate it cause its "mainstream"
the cancer is real
>>
Can anyone explain why Emma Stone was nominated for this movie? She literally added nothing to the story, had no memorable lines or scenes, and was pretty much a stock character who could have been played by anyone. It's actually insulting to a lot of great supporting actresses in 2015 who's movies I never saw
>>
>>62711877
She had that line about old white men being bad. Leftist hollywood shills love that stuff.
>>
>>62711206
>it made fun of Hollywood
>it's pandering
?
>>
>>62711190
>>62711206
yes, we saw the same movie. it was made to wink at the industry people that would vote for it. Edward Norton is playing a character that behaves like his real life reputation! fuck the current trend in movies (capeshit), we're real artists!

Garbage and bait
>>
12 years a slave is the best Oscar bait movie by a huge margin. Prove me wrong
>>
Long shots are meme shots.

They add NOTHING to the film other than an invitation to a Director's circlejerk.
>>
File: 27.jpg (69 KB, 680x965) Image search: [Google]
27.jpg
69 KB, 680x965
>It's a biopic
>It's about slavery or the holocaust
>A character plays a retarded person
>>
It was bait for sure, but it was well done and I liked it. It was pretentious but better than any other movie I've seen lately. Compelling and not a waste of time like all the cape shit and general shit that has been out lately.
>>
File: 1437859986354.png (511 KB, 720x400) Image search: [Google]
1437859986354.png
511 KB, 720x400
I didn't get Birdman.

It was incredibly well directed, excellent cinematography, and fantastic acting....but it wasn't a great movie.
>>
>>62712461
This.
Also I'd add that Oscar Bait has to be middlebrow, and target audience has to be over age of 45
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.